Author Topic: ResetSim won't work?!  (Read 31621 times)

Offline choly7

• Nooboo
ResetSim won't work?!
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:02:53 AM »
Hey guys!
This has happened twice before and I think it's because I've recently installed the University expansion pack. The first time it happened I logged on and my sim wouldn't get out of bed, I tried resetSim and it didn't work (I tried everything), eventually I had to delete my sim thinking it would then reset the sim but it didn't. My whole sim disappeared and I couldn't get her back, nor could I go back to her family house which was in the other neighborhood. Really annoying especially cause she was the 3rd generation in that family!

The last time it's happened my sim had just come back from university, and was struck on the hill just outside the town. There was no option to click for "return sim to home" and when I clicked for her to move or do something she wouldn't do it and will just stand there forever. I've tried the resetSim option again but it won't work, also my sims photo won't appear in the green box at the bottom left of the screen either. I saved my game and left and when I turned it back on my sim doesn't exist anymore. It has her name and stuff at the bottom but when I try an click on the moods option it won't let me see it. I can't do anything and I really don't want to have to delete my sim again because I've spend ages on this game!
It's really annoying especially if it's gonna keep happening again and again. I'm guessing it's got something to do with the University pack because it's only started doing it then, and everytime it does crash it's when my sim is either coming back from uni or is still there.

What can I do? :(

brappl

Re: ResetSim won't work?! Please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »
Hey guys!
This has happened twice before and I think it's because I've recently installed the University expansion pack. The first time it happened I logged on and my sim wouldn't get out of bed, I tried resetSim and it didn't work (I tried everything), eventually I had to delete my sim thinking it would then reset the sim but it didn't. My whole sim disappeared and I couldn't get her back, nor could I go back to her family house which was in the other neighborhood. Really annoying especially cause she was the 3rd generation in that family!

The last time it's happened my sim had just come back from university, and was struck on the hill just outside the town. There was no option to click for "return sim to home" and when I clicked for her to move or do something she wouldn't do it and will just stand there forever. I've tried the resetSim option again but it won't work, also my sims photo won't appear in the green box at the bottom left of the screen either. I saved my game and left and when I turned it back on my sim doesn't exist anymore. It has her name and stuff at the bottom but when I try an click on the moods option it won't let me see it. I can't do anything and I really don't want to have to delete my sim again because I've spend ages on this game!
It's really annoying especially if it's gonna keep happening again and again. I'm guessing it's got something to do with the University pack because it's only started doing it then, and everytime it does crash it's when my sim is either coming back from uni or is still there.

What can I do? :(

I am not sure why your reset did not work but another way to get a Sim unstuck is by having testing cheats enabled and use the teleport option.  This option will not affect moodlets and has unstuck my Sims everytime...or just moved them to where I wanted if I did not feel like watching them run 3 miles!!!
Could also be a routing problem within the game.  Twallan over at NRAAS Industries has mods that correct these types of problems.   I use Overwatch and that seems to keep my game clean. His mods have been updated for 1.55.   Heres the link to that site: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Overwatch

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline choly7

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:53:37 AM »
I tried the test cheats enabled but it didn't work, there was no option to teleport and I could only click on houses and buildings, not on the ground or anywhere else.
Since then I clicked on 'edit town' to place some houses (without saving, I just clicked 'continue), when I clicked 'return to sim' there was nothing to return to! It took me back to the main page where you create new sims/move in sims ect. Now my sim doesn't exist apart from in the 'move a sim' bit with a load of other sims, but she only appears there without her dog which makes me think that she's completely reset (no dog/job/skills/relationships everything I've spent hours on ect).

I don't think the mod will l help me get my sim back though which is what I want really since I've restarted my sim over twice now an lost a whole week of gameplay.

brappl

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »
I tried the test cheats enabled but it didn't work, there was no option to teleport and I could only click on houses and buildings, not on the ground or anywhere else.
Since then I clicked on 'edit town' to place some houses (without saving, I just clicked 'continue), when I clicked 'return to sim' there was nothing to return to! It took me back to the main page where you create new sims/move in sims ect. Now my sim doesn't exist apart from in the 'move a sim' bit with a load of other sims, but she only appears there without her dog which makes me think that she's completely reset (no dog/job/skills/relationships everything I've spent hours on ect).

I don't think the mod will l help me get my sim back though which is what I want really since I've restarted my sim over twice now an lost a whole week of gameplay.

It might be too late but for future reference:  did you have this typed exactly:  TestingCheatsEnabled True then hit enter?
You could recover your game that has the "lost" Sim in in by putting in a previously saved game in the Saves folder.  Remove the game and back up where you "lost" your Sim first.  There are actually mods out there that do recover lost Sims!

You might be loosing some of the progress since that save but at least you will get your Sim back.

Offline choly7

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
I did yep, it usually works because I've done it before but this time it just didn't :(

Okay that's awesome, if I could get my sim back I'd be happy! How do I get a previously saved game and how do I move it into a saved folder? :S

brappl

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:09:18 PM »
I did yep, it usually works because I've done it before but this time it just didn't :(

Okay that's awesome, if I could get my sim back I'd be happy! How do I get a previously saved game and how do I move it into a saved folder? :S

Where ever you put your game back up.  I am assuming you backed up your game before installing University or the Patch or IP.  I am going to be off line for a bit but will check back shortly.

Offline choly7

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »
No D: At least I don't think I did I don't know how to do that D:
Is it something that happens automatically?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
Have you ever used the option to "Save As"? 

How often have you saved on top of the deleted Sim?  There is one automatic backup but if you save more than once you lose the ability to go back.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline choly7

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »
I've used save as before I think! I usually just click 'save' or 'save and quit' though :S I don't think I've used it more than once

Offline choly7

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
If this doesn't work do you know if there is any way I can get a refund back for sims University and Sims pets? I bought them less than a week ago and I can't play either of the games now since the sim family keeps getting deleted or stuck :( I downloaded them from the website?

Offline Wai

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
Choly

So sorry you are having problems.  But, I don't think you need to panic about the games not working.

Sadly, from what you say, I think you have peobably lost your sim.  Why don't you put it down to a learning experience and start a new family?  It's worked for me in the past:)

Might I suggest that you do a Factory Reset,  See the stickies in technical help.

Then always use the "save as" option when saving your game.  That way, if anything goes wrong you can always revert to a previous save.  I'm over careful :)  I make my new game and save it as xxxx start (example:  IP start).  then my next save will be xxxx 1.  I do this up to 6 then return and overwrite game xxxx 1 etc.  So, I always have my starting game and six saves available.  I always save this way prior to going into edit town, or going on a WA trip, or whenever I am about to make a major change in my game like getting married for example or moving in another sim.  I know its not like real life :) because if I don't like the change, I can just go back a save or two!   Wish real life was like that, no first husband for starters:).  Changing the single number at the end before completing the save is very quick and easy, you won't even have to think about it after a while, it becomes a habit.

The easy way to back-up your saves prior to installing a new EP is to create a new folder on your desk top ("sims saves" or something similar).  Then go to your Documents folder, Electronic arts, The Sims 3.  In that folder you will find a folder called Saves.  Copy this folder to the new folder on your desk top.

Good luck and happy simming.
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

brappl

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 07:16:05 AM »
No D: At least I don't think I did I don't know how to do that D:
Is it something that happens automatically?

I'll add one other way to save.  Like Wai, I am overly careful.  I keep a couple of FULL game back ups on my desk top or to a external hard drive or flash drive; especially before installing any patches or new Expansion or Stuff Packs.   I just copy and paste the entire The Sims 3 that is in My Documents to my desk top (or another device).

I strongly recommend using the suggestions to at least copy and paste the Saves folder.  I do this every time after playing. 

Thought of one more thing you might want to try:  Twallan's Overwatch Mod has a feature to recover missing Sims.  It might be worth a try.  There is a recover immediate feature and also over the course of one or two Sim days the automatic cycle recovers them.  I've used it and it has brought them back from the abyss!