Author Topic: My sims is not able to "summon the genie" or "clean the lamp"  (Read 8714 times)

Offline ZedZatta

• Nooboo
My sims is not able to "summon the genie" or "clean the lamp"
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
Whenever I try to either summon an genie (that have been summoned many times before without any problem) or clean a lamp, making another genie appear, nothing happens. It's like the action gets automatically canceled. The icon for the action pops up in the left upper corner like any action does. Then it simply disappear without anything happening.

The problem started when my game was on a older patch (around 1.53, I think) and I had all the expansions installed until Island Paradise. I also had a bunch of mods installed, but they were all in place before the problem started, when I could summon genies freely. So then I tried to patch to the latest to date (1.63.5), and while I was installing stuff, I installed the last expansions that I had laying around (Movie Stuff & Into the Future). The same problem still persisted.

This might seem like a small inconvenience, but I found it irritating enough to among things create an account here and post this cry for help in two different sections on this forum. So, help?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: My sims is not able to "summon the genie" or "clean the lamp"
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:48 PM »
Hi ZedZatta,

I am not familiar with the Genies, as I don't play with them. But did search out the problem and found a couple of links from the forum that might be helpful.

Topic: Can't free the Genie - solved, sort of 
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=11049.0

Topic: Can't free the Genie 
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=9447.0

Hope these help :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 04:11:52 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, ZedZatta.

I've merged your two topics because it would only cause confusion.  The best place is the Technical Help board.  I included both response you'd gotten on each topic. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline ZedZatta

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
I should have said it before, but i tried to remove all of my mods and then play, with the same problem still there. So no luck there, Krae.

Thank you very much MrsFlynn for going through the effort of searching for the solution. Unfortunately, the problem the people had in the links you provided was for when you want to free your genie (like what Aladdin used his last wish for in the Disney move with the same name) and make the genie a controllable member of your household. I can't even get them out of their lamps.

And thanks Pam for merging my topics. I will now know in the future how to not make things unnecessarily complicated :)

Offline ZedZatta

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »
Now i have also tried loading a previous save to only notice that summoning genies works just fine, which means that somewhere down the line i must have done something that created this glitch. It might have something to do with Word Adventures expansion pack, as when after one of my sims came back from one of her vacations abroad, no one could interact with a "dusty old lamp", when just before her departure from home there were no problem with summoning a genie.

Offline ZedZatta

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »
In another effort to fix this, i have uninstalled Into the Future, Movie Stuff and World Adventures. I still can't summon a genie. Does anyone have any fresh ideas?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:49:28 AM »
Hi Zed,

Thank you for giving as much details as you possibly can, that is always helpful!!

You say a previous game save works, so that makes me wonder if maybe it is the traveling bug.  If the glitch was caused by the traveling bug, it maybe best to go back to a previous save before you went traveling.

Even though you uninstalled World Adventures, that may not "fix" the glitch that's already in your game.

Just in case though, maybe trying a factory reset may help?

01.) Go to your Sims 3 folder.
-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3
02.) Rename your current Sims 3 folder to something like Sims 3 Current.
03.) Click the Sims 3 icon to create a new The Sims 3 folder.
04.) Then copy your game saves, files and such over to the new game to see if that helps.

If you need help with saving and copying files here's a thread on that.

Saving folders/files to use on a different computer or to use as backup
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,16414.0.html

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline ZedZatta

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 12:43:39 PM »
I appreciate your appreciation of my detailed descriptions, MrsFlynn :). Sadly, trying your suggestion of a factory reset did not work :(.

Also as i have about 20 hours of gameplay between my current and older save, so i really don't want to go back to my old save.

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
Whenever I try to either summon an genie (that have been summoned many times before without any problem) or clean a lamp, making another genie appear, nothing happens. It's like the action gets automatically canceled. The icon for the action pops up in the left upper corner like any action does. Then it simply disappear without anything happening.

The problem started when my game was on a older patch (around 1.53, I think) and I had all the expansions installed until Island Paradise. I also had a bunch of mods installed, but they were all in place before the problem started, when I could summon genies freely. So then I tried to patch to the latest to date (1.63.5), and while I was installing stuff, I installed the last expansions that I had laying around (Movie Stuff & Into the Future). The same problem still persisted.

This might seem like a small inconvenience, but I found it irritating enough to among things create an account here and post this cry for help in two different sections on this forum. So, help?

Welcome to the forum ZedZatta.

What you are experiencing is a bug that makes some items in your inventory unplayable. I would test going on vacation again, or go to university or move to a new town just to see if it will fix the problem. If it is an item that you don't want to have a chance getting stuck, I would suggest placing the item in your family inventory. Bring it out when you want to use it and them put it back. Hope some of these suggestions help :)

Offline ZedZatta

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
Blackrosea, because of your suggestion, i moved parts of my household to a new town to see if i could finally clean that freaking lamp so the freaking genie would pop out, which i actually could ??? It surprised me how easy it actually was. Although my sims lost all their relationships, their 5-star resort and their neatly crafted home, I'm just gonna keep playing from now on.

Thank you very much Blackrosea for cumming up with a solution, and thank you everyone that tried their best to help :D

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 07:51:09 PM »
Blackrosea, because of your suggestion, i moved parts of my household to a new town to see if i could finally clean that freaking lamp so the freaking genie would pop out, which i actually could ??? It surprised me how easy it actually was. Although my sims lost all their relationships, their 5-star resort and their neatly crafted home, I'm just gonna keep playing from now on.

Thank you very much Blackrosea for cumming up with a solution, and thank you everyone that tried their best to help :D

Did you try sending them to University or on vacation? Maybe you wont have to lose all those things if you try that. Before you move, you need to sell your owned properties and extra homes and buildings before moving. So i would sell the resort, use edit town to make a copy of your home, then edit town in the new town, place your house and then buy it back in the new world so you won't lose everything. But I am glad at least something worked. I would try the other options (university/vacation) and see if they work first.

Offline ZedZatta

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 08:32:09 PM »
I kinda got tired of Isla Paradiso and everything in it, and you gave me a reason to move to another town with my already established sims, so i saw that as the best suggestion. But thanks for your concern and ideas :)

anything