Author Topic: Installing and Playing the Sims 3 if Your CD Doesn't Work  (Read 95380 times)

Offline The Illuminator

• Occult
  • Illumination now with energy saving light bulbs!
Installing and Playing the Sims 3 if Your CD Doesn't Work
« on: September 04, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
Please note that this only works if you have the cd

A few times people have been looking for help because their driver doesn't read your Sims 3 cd. It's absolutely not necessary to buy a new cd! If you use the following method everything should be fine:

1. Insert the Sims 3 cd (WA, Ambitions, HELS etc. It depends on what you want to install or play)
2. Your E: (for some people their D:) may say something like 0mb of ...mb available.
3. Manually open (no autorun) the cd and copy (no cutting!) all files on the cd.
4. Paste the files in your C: drive. You may want to make a special folder for it.
5. Run setup from the C: drive and follow the instructions.
6. It may take a while before the setup starts. This does not mean it doesn't work!
7. If it doesn't come up you can try again. You can also press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and view the current processes to see if something like Sims 3 or EA is running.

If this method doesn't work or if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me or someone else!
Le mot impossible n'est pas Francais

The word "impossible" is not French

- Napoleon Bonaparte -

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
Re: Installing and playing the sims 3 if your cd doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
I set this as a topic sticky so it won't get lost.  Thank you for writing it up and posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline The Illuminator

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:16:50 AM »
Thanks, wildredchild!

- Napoleon Bonaparte -

Leto85

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »
Nice work Illuminator! You're so smart. Must have to do something with the fact you're Dutch.

[Edited for content.  -Pam]

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »
I followed the instructions and I was able to install the game no problem.  Now I am wondering where do I go to play the game?  If I go through the game launcher, it informs me that I need the disc before proceeding.  Please enlighten me on which file I need to access.  Thanks!
Ignorance is not an excuse, please read the forum rules.

Offline The Illuminator

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 05:01:42 AM »
At the moment I have Sims 3 uninstalled because I want to install it on a new computer, but it should be autorun.exe or something else with the sims 3 logo. I'll give you more information as soon as possible.

If you're using Windows 7 or Vista make sure you are an administrator.

- Napoleon Bonaparte -

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »
I discovered that if you have activate your game with the game code in the EA Download Manager then that makes a digital copy of the game accessible to you.  So, it takes forever to download the game, but you don't need the disc.  I already had all the Sims3 game installed on my computer but not the Sims2.  I clicked start, waited the 2 hours for it to download and then was able to install and play it no problem.  No CD required for installation or game play!
Ignorance is not an excuse, please read the forum rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »
I discovered that if you have activate your game with the game code in the EA Download Manager then that makes a digital copy of the game accessible to you.  So, it takes forever to download the game, but you don't need the disc.  I already had all the Sims3 game installed on my computer but not the Sims2.  I clicked start, waited the 2 hours for it to download and then was able to install and play it no problem.  No CD required for installation or game play!

Just a heads up in case any of you are struggling to obtain a digital copy of the Pets expansion pack.

Origin (the new EA download manager) did not like the product code for Pets, it referred me to the EA Sims 3 website.  In order to enter the code and obtain a digital copy of Pets I had to enter the code on this website:  https://activate.ea.com/applyentitlement.do  using the email address and password that I use on the Sims 3 site and have set up in Origin.

Please note: it may be that you can only obtain a digital copy of Pets if you have not already installed the game using the dvd.

I also entered the code for Generations but saw no option to download it, I wondered if this was because it was already installed on my laptop though I didn't uninstall Generations to test this hypothesis.

LadyRam14

Re: Installing and Playing the Sims 3 if Your CD Doesn't Work
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 11:44:55 PM »
I don't understand how you copy from D: if it won't recognize the disk.  That's the whole problem.  I tried to copy from D: but all it said was insert disk even though the sims 3 CD was in there.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, LadyRam.

I think we need to back up a little to find out exactly what your problem is.  What exactly happens when you have the game CD in the computer and you try to launch the game?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 08:32:25 AM »
First thing to check and this may just be a wording issue, but if you are inserting a DVD (sims3 is a DVD not CD) into a CD drive then it wouldn't be able to read it.

This sounds to me like a hardware problem (assuming it is a DVD drive after all) try inserting another DVD and seeing if it will play that and also try putting your game disk into another computer with a DVD drive. That will at the very least give you an idea where the issue lies.

Kindest Regards
KJ
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Frey

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 12:01:26 PM »
I discovered that if you have activate your game with the game code in the EA Download Manager then that makes a digital copy of the game accessible to you.  So, it takes forever to download the game, but you don't need the disc.  I already had all the Sims3 game installed on my computer but not the Sims2.  I clicked start, waited the 2 hours for it to download and then was able to install and play it no problem.  No CD required for installation or game play!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  My Ambitions CD got scratched somehow and I really thought I would have to forget about that EP or buy a new CD... but I'm downloading it right now through Origin  :D Now I only have to wait forever for it to download, but that's just a small price!

Offline Gameactive

• Testing Cheats Enabler
  • Townie
  • “But making clichéd Sims is my specialty…”
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 03:06:26 AM »
I discovered that if you have activate your game with the game code in the EA Download Manager then that makes a digital copy of the game accessible to you.  So, it takes forever to download the game, but you don't need the disc.  I already had all the Sims3 game installed on my computer but not the Sims2.  I clicked start, waited the 2 hours for it to download and then was able to install and play it no problem.  No CD required for installation or game play!
Hey! If you can do that, then maybe I can register my steam copies of The Sims 3 and download direct from Origin! That could solve a problem I've had with the steam version not accepting store content
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back!” - Cave Johnson, Portal 2
“You ought to upgrade to Windows 7!”, they said. “It’ll help your games run so much better!”, they said. If I see them again, then they had better know how to stabilize an on-the-fritz copy of The Sims 3 that was working just fine on Windows XP.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 02:42:56 AM »
If you have valid codes, you could probably download them directly from Origin.  Not sure how it works, but you may have to register the codes on the official site if you haven't done so already.

I got a question:  I've got almost all the expansions on DVD, but since I use my computer quite often to watch movies I find it somewhat bothersome to have to constantly swap discs.  I know I could download them digitally, but the problem is the time it takes to download them.  Two hours per expansion when you've got 5 expansions is 10 hours worth of download time.  Honestly, I'd rather not spend that much time downloading when I know I have the discs in my drawer right next to me lol.

Could I use the discs to install all of the expansions with the exception of the most recent one I have and then digitally install that one to get away with not having to use a disc to run the game?
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 02:54:56 AM »
I believe I read somewhere, as long as it is installed on your hard drive, you can do it that way.  Alot of people are going that way. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?