Author Topic: Missing saved game files after system restore/please help/SOLVED!  (Read 7031 times)

Offline catlover

• Townie
I recently had to do a system restore setting my computer back a few days. Any of the saved game files since the date of the restore have turned into "ghost" files in my launcher. They are listed in the Sims 3 saved folder and are in the launcher but the picture of the family that you see for the saved file is missing. Any suggestions and/or help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Angélique

• Townie
Re: Missing saved game files after system restore/please help
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 05:56:09 PM »
That sounds very odd, because the System Restore feature in Windows is not supposed to affect or ruin any of your personal documents or files. If it did, it would be completely useless, don't you agree? No, unless your System Restore has gone crazy, I think something else must have happened to your save files, but I have no idea what that might be. I have never experienced anything like that in my game.

Also, when you say that your save files are in the launcher, I assume that you mean that they are in the main menu of the game? The launcher is just the little application that tells TS3W.exe to start the game. It's also used for uploading things to thesims3.com, and downloading Store items and game patches/updates.

Here is more info about the System Restore feature, right below nr 6, with Important in bold letters.

If you want to avoid losing your save files in the future, I really recommend that you start copying them to another safe place, both on the computer and on some sort of external storage device, like a USB memory stick or portable hard drive.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline catlover

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 07:04:09 PM »
Yes, that is what I meant the files are still showing in the main screen. The difference is that where you would see your family, there are no Sims, just the file name. The only files affected are exactly the ones that were saved after the restore date so I am sure it has something to do with that action. I have copied the files into a separate folder on the desktop while I experimented around with trying to fix it, but unfortunately I copied them after they became "lost". There were 5 saves so it wasn't too much lost if I can't recover them. I save often because I have learned my lesson the hard way. I guess this may be another hard lesson learned. Thanks for responding and for your suggestion to copy my saves elsewhere other than in the game folder. Hopefully other members can shed some light on this subject as well.

Offline Angélique

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:13:54 PM »
Well, your System Restore feature (or maybe your Sims 3 installation?) must have gone crazy then, because things like this simply shouldn't happen. I would feel a bit worried if I were you. If you have to restore the system again, maybe you risk losing other personal files on your computer, files that are much more valuable than sims 3 save games. Have you considered reporting it to Microsoft customer service, and see what they have to say? 

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »
Hi Catlover,

I'm not entirely sure if this will help, but if you can, check in your saved game folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves > (Your Saved Game folder)

In any of your "ghost" games, is the meta.data file missing?  If so, I think I've got something that's worth a try.

I wrote about it in the thread below, but will post it here for convenience and just in case you want to read it. :)

Re: Can't access files? (Possible Solution)
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,19030.msg358396.html#msg358396

*Possible Solution*

01.) Look in your saved game folder.

-- Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Saves > (Your Saved Game folder)

02.) Open your saved game that your trying to play. Is the meta.data file there? (Trying to compare working save games to games you can't access)

If not, either copy the meta.data file from an existing save or start a new game, go into Edit Town and Save and quit the game, then copy the meta.data file from the new game.

Note: Adding a new meta.data file may change your loading screen. But you can fix that once the game is loaded by saving the game.

03.) Paste the meta.data file into the game that is missing it. Then try accessing your previously saved game.

04.) If you can play it, play the game for a few minutes and then use the Save As option, give it a new name. Then save and quit.

=====
When Flynn and I tried this - replaced the meta.data file in the current game. Loaded the game to find, Saved game photo was there!! Moused over where the saved game is in the main menu and It's playable!!

Hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline catlover

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:57:09 PM »
Good News MrsFlynn! I followed your instructions and it worked! My files are back and working perfectly!

All of this started when I tried to watch a DVD on my computer and my sound controls stopped working. After trying numerous things we ended up doing a system restore. For some unknown reason the restore action caused a mess up in a few of my Sims game files.

From my main screen, my saved games from the date after the recovery date showed up as "ghost" images. When I moused over each of the game files a box would pop up and say, "Cannot load this saved game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system". The game and expansion icons were still showing as installed at the bottom of the Welcome Screen so I knew that wasn't true.

Your help turned out to be the solution! Thank you so much. I am a very happy and relieved simmer :)

anything