Author Topic: Cannot install to Origin  (Read 2612 times)

Offline dharmagoddess

• Llama Wrangler
Cannot install to Origin
« on: July 15, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
I'm sure that this has come up before, so please redirect me if this is redundant.
I've been playing using Steam but with the Origin sale, I decided to switch. I bought a couple EPs (Ambitions and Showtime) and a couple store items (worlds-Dragon Valley, Monte Vista and Hidden Springs).
The expansion packs loaded fine, everything from Steam is there, even my old games/Sims are fine. Except now Riverview is gone from my main menu, and it's been there since 2009.
Also, I can't seem to download and install anything else into Origin (store content.) None of my store content seems to install. I downloaded from the store, I install them in the launcher. They don't appear in the main menu (the worlds). I'm not sure if the other content for CAS or buy mode installs b/c I haven't gone into a game to check, but everything says it's downloaded and installed and then never appears. I've done this multiple times. When I go in to check, it says "install now" instead of the "installed" it said one minute before. So basically, it says it's downloaded but doesn't. Do I just need to delete it all and start again? My game is all updated and such.
In addition, I keep getting a script error in my Origin shortcut to the Sims (but not in Steam) and I get repeated prompts to patch from the store every time I look at my purchase history.
I am beyond frustrated at this point. I've been trying to fix the issue for 3 days and nothing I've tried works. I'm tempted to just demand my money back from EA and just chuck anything Origin in the bin and only use Steam, because it seems to work. I just want to play, and have access to the content I paid for.
TL;DR version: I cannot install any store content and have lost previous store content since trying to play via Origin vs Steam.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Cannot install to Origin
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
Have you installed the full game via Origin? And the expansions you bought through Origin, do you have access to them when you load the game through Steam? I ask because Steam installs to a different location than Origin, and they don't usually play nicely together. If you installed things via Origin, it's very possible that the store items you've installed have gone to the "wrong" version of the game, ie the Origin installation instead of the Steam one. I never had both versions installed, so I don't know how exactly that works in reality; I switched from the Steam version back before Pets released. ;)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sweetporcupinewife

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:40:40 AM »
This isn't a solution, but I've had nothing but problems with Origin. Now that I know there's another out there, I will probably switch to Steam. Especially if I move to TS4.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
TS4 requires Origin, so that won't be an option.

I hate Origin with a burning passion, but finally reinstalled it for this exact reason.

Offline Angélique

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 06:22:41 AM »
TS4 requires Origin, so that won't be an option.

I hate Origin with a burning passion, but finally reinstalled it for this exact reason.

Later versions of The Sims 3 Base game requires Origin and Internet connection in order to be installed too, and I don't like that one little bit, because it means you can't install it on a computer that's not on the internet, and also you can't bypass the Launcher when you start the game.

I'm really glad that I bought my copy of Sims 3 Base game before this thing was altered. That's because my main gaming computer, (an HP desktop) doesn't have an Internet connection, and I always start the game without the Launcher, because it's faster and easier.

Read more about it here and here.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:13:22 AM »
The comment was about not installing origin because people hate it.

I am well aware you can install TS3 without Origin since I have all the EP's. But TS4 is going to require an internet connection AND Origin for activation (they claim the connection will not be required after that).