Author Topic: "Access Denied" message when trying to edit Commands file for cheats  (Read 13874 times)

Frozenoj

I've come across a problem when trying to enable cheat testing. It won't let me save the edited file! Whenever I try to save it a message pops up saying "access denied". I am on the administrator account for this computer (in fact, it's the only account on the computer). If anyone knows why it won't let me save, or what I'm doing wrong, I would appreciate the help.  :)

Offline Kai Heilos

• Llama Wrangler
Re: "Access Denied" message when trying to edit Commands file for cheats
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
The file is read only. Go to properties and turn it off.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Frozenoj

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 03:41:43 PM »
I've already turned off the read only for the whole ini folder, as well as sub-folders and files.

Offline Kai Heilos

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »
Try running notepad as an admin if you're on windows 7, I had a problem with that a long time back so that could be your issue.

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »
I've read that you need to save the edited Commands.ini file to either a folder in My Documents or to your Desktop.  It should save there okay.  Then, you copy/move the edited Commands.ini file back to The Sims Medieval\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini\  (in other words, don't try to save the file directly back to The Sims Medieval\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Ini\

Hope this helps and good luck.

Frozenoj

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:34:27 AM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I had my husband look at it when he got home, and apparently you just have to change some of the security settings along with taking off read only. Then it let me save it no problem!

anything