Author Topic: Sims 3 won't open (update_gamekeys.reg)  (Read 6582 times)

dakotadabest

Sims 3 won't open (update_gamekeys.reg)
« on: November 04, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
I have Sims 3 and the Pets expansion on my macbook and when I try to play I get this error message:

Application startup failed

Unable to copy file /Applications/The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app/Contents/Resources/Addons/The Sims3.app/Contents/Resources/Preferences/update_gamekeys.reg to /Users/administrator/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Preferences/update_gamekeys.reg

HELP HELP HELP HELP

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Sims 3 won't open (update_gamekeys.reg)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »
I would check that both of the folders exist. I see other people having this problem on the web and the only solution is to reinstall and update the game to the latest version. I don't have a Mac and do not know about file/folder permissions on that system. I would make sure the directory exists where the game is wanting to put the file (make them if you have to) and maybe even copy (not move) the file there yourself. Do that only if a reinstall doesn't work.

Edit: I modified the title just in case a solution appears in this thread and others have the problem.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
I have an iMac and I don't have a update_gamekeys.reg anyone on my machine.  When I tried to go to the file directory you described, I couldn't get there as I don't have a directory like that. 

You recently got the game?  You bought the CD and installed it or did you download it?  Has the game loaded before and when was the last time it did?
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

dakotadabest

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:53:30 PM »
I just played the game last night and everything was fine...I recently got Pets though and I think that it messed up my game...I'm not sure what to do about the files/replacing them though...

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:22:22 AM »
I would suggest a reinstall of your games at this point.  If there are saves/sims that you want to keep, make sure to move them out of your Sims 3 file in the documents/electronic arts/sims 3 directory.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'