Author Topic: Two Worlds, One Heart - Epilogue - The Road Goes Ever On and On (Complete)  (Read 146091 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Very touching update.  I just love how Holly still rocks.  You go girl!  Glad to see all's well with the family.  No dramas, no fights, wow, actually that makes this an unusual update.  Thanks Raia.
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Now that I think about it, Geoffrey and Nick look alike, I would love to see them together for comparison...

Also wow, Electra has grown up beautifully.

I was pleasantly surprised with Electra! She looks quite a bit like her mother and really only has her hair color from Devon.

I always have a split-second reaction of "NICK!" when I see Geoffrey in other peoples' stories. :D

And hurray for happier times!

Happy times indeed. :)

Now, regarding Geoffrey and Nick...

Similar tastes in clothing and hairstyles aside, Geoffrey and Nick do share quite a few physical traits. They both have the high cheekbones, for one, and while Nick's grin is much wider they definitely have a similar mouth shape. The others are more easily seen in profile:

The resemblance is just uncanny from the side. They have the same chin shape and the same bent nose (even though Geoffrey's nose is to a much smaller scale...so are his ears, for that matter). Nick and Geoffrey definitely look like they are related. Brothers? That's where my thinking is--hence why I alluded to Malcolm having a cousin in Twinbrook. ;)

Woah! Your previous chapter with Zoey's 'out of body experience' did move me very deply.
It was almost a relief to read a 'normal' family update after that. Great work, Raia!!!  :D

Thanks. Truthfully...I was a little nervous about posting that interlude. I was afraid it might be a bit too emotional.

For the record Zoey did in fact catch on fire, though not from work, rather from an inventing table. She has the Daredevil trait which means that she actually enjoyed the experience...but my overactive imagination went haywire. :P

Very touching update.  I just love how Holly still rocks.  You go girl!  Glad to see all's well with the family.  No dramas, no fights, wow, actually that makes this an unusual update.  Thanks Raia.

Many thanks! That screenshot with Holly was just too amusing not to use!

<sheepishly> It has gotten rather more dramatic lately. I do hope not too much so. :P

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrComfortAddict

• Nooboo
Just finished reading Chapter 48 and I am really enjoying it so far. Love your writing style and how it is written from varying perspectives. A lot has changed since the first chapter and I can not imagine how hectic it is managing so many sims.

Offline MrComfortAddict

• Nooboo
Managed to catch up and finish the whole story. I loved the out-of-body experience and all the bits in between chapters, it really adds to the story. I think the only thing I am not looking forward to is having to wait for the chapters to come out, one by one. I liked being able to read through the chapters in a continuous fashion. But as Marcus says, patience is a virtue.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Managed to catch up and finish the whole story. I loved the out-of-body experience and all the bits in between chapters, it really adds to the story. I think the only thing I am not looking forward to is having to wait for the chapters to come out, one by one. I liked being able to read through the chapters in a continuous fashion. But as Marcus says, patience is a virtue.

I am very glad that you have enjoyed the story thus far! :D

A quick update: right now I'm struggling with the worst case of writer's block I've had so far with this story. I have the next chapter after this one about 80% completed, but the current one is just not coming easily. Hopefully I'll be able to plug something out by the weekend if I can get my brain moving again. :P

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
A quick update: right now I'm struggling with the worst case of writer's block I've had so far with this story. I have the next chapter after this one about 80% completed, but the current one is just not coming easily. Hopefully I'll be able to plug something out by the weekend if I can get my brain moving again. :P

I'm so with you there.  Words are just sometimes hard to come by. ::)

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Crystal

I'm so with you there.  Words are just sometimes hard to come by. ::)

So off topic I know but I'm shocked at the pair of you.  Two of the best writers in the forum and no updates.  Come on get your head in the game. 

Marcus makes a cute investigator.  I wondered how Schipperke got that screenshot of bad guys hiding in the bushes, and now I know!  Maddie is adorable.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Two Worlds, One Heart - Chapter 62
« Reply #412 on: March 09, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
So off topic I know but I'm shocked at the pair of you.  Two of the best writers in the forum and no updates.  Come on get your head in the game. 

Marcus makes a cute investigator.  I wondered how Schipperke got that screenshot of bad guys hiding in the bushes, and now I know!  Maddie is adorable.

<giggle> Why thank you. I greatly appreciate the compliment. Marcus is definitely cute. I want to do more with the guy, maybe take him on a little spin-off story of his own? I don't know yet, but he's too much fun to leave behind once this tale is complete.

Please forgive the delay. This writer's block was a real doozy...and I'm sure you'll probably see why.

---

Chapter 62 – Lovers, Reunited

A wise man once said that “Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.”

Grandma never stopped loving my granddad. There was some talk a few years ago about the idea of her dating again, but she outright refused the notion. Her heart belonged to one man and one man alone, and in her heart she knew that someday they would be reunited. That reunion came a week shy of seven years from the day my granddad left this world.

My sweet grandma Holly has passed away.

It happened this past Sunday afternoon, as the family was gathered around the piano listening to my dad's newest composition. There was no struggle, no pain. Grandma simply...faded.

Death came swiftly and softly. He reached out his hand and gently shook hers. “Holly dear, you do not fear me, do you?”

“No sir, I do not. I know who awaits me in the great beyond.”

I thought I heard him chuckle. “Indeed he is.”

It was then that I felt a presence. I don't really know if anyone else sensed it, but there was someone else in that room. Someone not visible to anyone's eyes but my grandma's...and that presence made her smile. Right away I knew exactly who it was. It was the same presence that I felt when I had to be resuscitated in the hospital.

Granddad.

I couldn't help but smile despite my tears.

“Are you ready?” The specter asked. “I daresay I have quite the workload today and cannot spare much time.”

“I am.” She turned to look at everyone. “I love you. Please take care, and do not fret over me too much.” Her gaze turned elsewhere and her smile deepened. “I will be more than well.”

“Goodbye, grandma,” I spoke.

“No...not goodbye, dear,” she replied, her voice growing more distant. “More like...until we meet again.”

As her spirit faded away I had a brief vision of her and my granddad walking arm-in-arm toward a blindingly white light. They were together again, never to be parted.

It was quite possibly the most beautiful scene that I have ever witnessed in my life.

Grandma Holly left this world in peace, surrounded by her family and doing something that she loved. I only hope that when my time eventually comes, I can do the same.

The family is doing all right given the circumstances...though it hasn't exactly been easy at times. Probably the hardest part about all of this is how rough it's been on Celestine and Hadrian. How do you explain to a pair of not quite seven-year-olds why their Nana is gone?

I think that Mom put it best. “It's okay to be sad when you miss someone that you love. Remember that she is always there, in here,” she pointed to her heart, “and in here,” pointing to her head. “Nana loved you so, so much, and that love will always be inside of you. Forever and ever.”

It offered them some comfort, at any rate. Still, it took some convincing for Celestine to understand that yes, Nana would still be able to see her ballet recital next week.

How am I dealing with it?

I don't know. I find myself oddly at peace with the whole thing. As heartbreaking as it is to lose my grandma, I know that she is back in my granddad's arms, and she is happy.

Am I strange to be thinking that way? (Stranger than normal, I mean—I know I'm a bit odd...) I know that when someone passes away, you're supposed to grieve. You're supposed to cry and be all depressed for a while. It's just...I don't know. Maybe it was seeing that smile on her face when she saw my granddad again that made me realize...this wasn't a final goodbye.

One thing I will say for sure, though. My grandma lived an amazing life, and I will miss her terribly. Things will never be the same without her smiling face, her encouraging words. Her knack for knowing when I needed advice, a hug...

...or just needed a companion.

All right, I suppose I am tearing up a bit. I am only human.

Grandma started this weblog just shy of seventy years ago as a chronicle of the budding romance between her and my granddad. I find it only appropriate that her passing will end it. Mom and I talked it over with Iris, and we all agreed that continuing it without her just wouldn't feel...right. This was their story, their romance...

...and oh, what a story that these nearly seventy years has told.

Decades of memories, emotions...

Joy and laughter...

And above all, love.

So I guess this is it, huh? It feels sort of surreal, now that I think about it. My family has been keeping up with this blog for my entire life...heck, for the entirety of my mom's life and most of aunt Darlene's. It's going to feel strange not writing anymore.

Rest assured we'll be keeping busy though. Even if my grandparents' stories are over...ours has only just begun. :)

My friends, I wish you all the best in your continued journeys.

Love always,

Zoey, Andrew, and the Twins

---

(Author's Note: Holly managed to outlive Bebe, Michael, and Parker, and that night River had her date with Grim. Right now only Lisa and VJ are left of the original teens. And get this: Madison VanWatson is still alive!

It's not quite over yet. There is still one more chapter left to conclude the story. Talk about bittersweet--I'm seriously going to miss these guys.

That quote at the beginning, by the way, is from The Princess Bride.

Everyone, thank you all once again for reading! This has been such an amazing experience. :D )

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: Two Worlds, One Heart - Chapter 62 - Lovers, Reunited
« Reply #413 on: March 09, 2013, 07:19:08 PM »
Somehow, when you read an update that begins with a Princess Bride quote, you just know it's going to be a good one.  :P

I'm so glad that Holly has finally been re-united with Ethan. Like Zoey, I feel like I should be sad that this story is ending, but I can't help but smile. Looking forward to the conclusion of this tale, and perhaps the beginnings of others.  :D

Offline MrComfortAddict

• Nooboo
« Reply #414 on: March 09, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
Beautifully written. I can fully understand why it took you so long to write. I think it is your subconscious not wanting to put an end to this story and so is slowing you down. When the last chapter arrives, I will cry for I loved the family as if they were my own Sims.

:'(

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #415 on: March 09, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
Wonderful moving update.   :'( I'm still choked up.  Life moves relentlessly onward so that death is inevitable to us all.  What a moving tribute.  RIP Holly.  Ethan, you take of our girl now, won't you?  :'(

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #416 on: March 10, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »
I am extremely sad this is coming to an end  :'( but unfortunately all good things do eventually and this story was a GREAT thing!!! With that in mind I just want to thanks you, Raia for a wonderful story which made me laugh, cry and everything in between!!! Can't wait for your next one!!!
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Crystal

« Reply #417 on: March 10, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »
RIP Holly.  We all knew it had to come sometime but it was still sad.   :'(  I'm really going to miss this story and I also will wait with bated breath for the next one.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #418 on: March 12, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
Somehow, when you read an update that begins with a Princess Bride quote, you just know it's going to be a good one.  :P

I'm so glad that Holly has finally been re-united with Ethan. Like Zoey, I feel like I should be sad that this story is ending, but I can't help but smile. Looking forward to the conclusion of this tale, and perhaps the beginnings of others.  :D

The Princess Bride has to be one of my favorite films of all time...and that particular quote seemed very appropriate. :)

I didn't see Zoey as being the type to break down and cry, especially since she has been on "the other side" once before. The last thing I wanted was Holly's passing to be overly depressing.

Beautifully written. I can fully understand why it took you so long to write. I think it is your subconscious not wanting to put an end to this story and so is slowing you down. When the last chapter arrives, I will cry for I loved the family as if they were my own Sims.

:'(

Thank you. In some way you might be right, my subconscious just didn't want this to end. I am so glad that you enjoyed these guys.

Wonderful moving update.   :'( I'm still choked up.  Life moves relentlessly onward so that death is inevitable to us all.  What a moving tribute.  RIP Holly.  Ethan, you take of our girl now, won't you?  :'(

You should have seen me while writing it. I was blubbering like a baby at times. :P

Ever loyal, ever dependable Ethan, Holly's knight in shining armor, even in death.

I am extremely sad this is coming to an end  :'( but unfortunately all good things do eventually and this story was a GREAT thing!!! With that in mind I just want to thanks you, Raia for a wonderful story which made me laugh, cry and everything in between!!! Can't wait for your next one!!!

Thank you so, so much for reading. I have truly enjoyed this experience!

RIP Holly.  We all knew it had to come sometime but it was still sad.   :'(  I'm really going to miss this story and I also will wait with bated breath for the next one.

I was somewhat surprised, actually, that Holly lived for as long as she did. Since I was running with a skewed lifespan I can't give you an exact age, but she outlived over half of the other original teens.

And with any luck...you won't be waiting for too long. ;)

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Two Worlds, One Heart - Epilogue - The Road Goes Ever On and On (Complete)
« Reply #419 on: March 12, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »
Epilogue – The Road Goes Ever On and On

Two years later...

A woman in her mid-sixties sat down and slowly opened the laptop on her desk. She clicked on a familiar link in her web browser and, thinking for a few moments, began to type:

“Greetings, my friends.

Old habits die hard, it seems. Although we agreed that we would not continue my mother's weblog after her passing, Iris had the idea that perhaps we should at least give some closure to it. Indeed, it would be a shame to leave things on such a somber note.

Aunt Darlene and uncle Malcolm are still doing well. They are both in their early eighties now and show no sign whatsoever of giving in to old age. Neither of them know just how much longer they have together, but they plan to make the most of it. Their most recent travels have taken them to Egypt and they are planning yet another excursion to France

...that is, once my aunt has completely recovered from her run-in with the trampoline. Three broken bones and a concussion. Her luck hasn't really changed much, I'm afraid.

Uncle Malcolm has taken up writing in his spare time and has found that he has quite the knack for fantasy. One of the main characters in his current novel is a fair-haired knight who rescues a runaway princess from the evil king and queen. Hmm, I wonder who could have influenced that character... :P

Iris ultimately decided to retire from the police force. Not one to rest on her laurels, though, she opened up her own martial arts academy. As of this writing she has twenty students, some from as far away as Appaloosa Plains, training under her expertise.

Her new hobby is breaking space rocks with her bare hands. I don't know how she does it, but so far she has managed to recover quite the cache of gemstones in the process.

Timothy's success as the CEO of Landgraab Industries brought the company to heights never seen even under Nancy's reign. Fresh from his success, he decided to try his hand at politics and was recently elected mayor of Sunset Valley.

When asked if he would run for higher office, Timothy just shook his head. “I have better things to do with my time,” he told the press.

Timothy and Iris are the happiest they have been in a long time. It took Iris leaving the force for them to realize just how focused on work the both of them had become, and they vowed from there on out that family, not the business, would take precedent.

Madeleine is growing like a weed and is looking more and more like her mother every day.

She is still very much attached to that doll despite Iris's efforts to get her to give it up. “No, Mom! He's going to be real someday!” Maddie insists. Ah, the imagination of children. :)

Marcus and Eugenia are still living here and seem to have no plans of moving. Eugenia is working on her residency at Sacred Spleen and hopes to eventually focus on pediatric care. Though...there has been a slight delay in her plans.

Meet Ethan Alexander Landgraab, Marc and Eugenia's four-month-old son. He is simply adorable, and Marcus is absolutely enamored with him.

The last few years have really established Marcus's standing as a private investigator. He has managed to solve every case that has been thrown his way and has assisted the police department more than once with their own investigations.

There is one case, though, that still eludes him to this day: he still does not know the identity of the “S.A.” mentioned in the Warehouse e-mails. Every lead has turned up exactly nothing. He has investigated every single sim in town with the letter “A” as a last initial, to no avail. (“Just how many Alvis live in Sunset Valley, anyway?”) He finally conclusively determined that this person does not reside in Sunset Valley at this time, and is doubtful that he or she ever has.

Whomever this “S.A.” is, he or she would be wise not to try anything foolish. Marcus is nothing if not persistent...and he is just as stubborn as his mother.

Amaya has opened a salon of her own in Bridgeport, where she is starting to gain quite the reputation. A few of her fashion designs were published in the latest edition of Sims Fashionista Quarterly. That publicity gave her quite the boost in her clientele and has brought a number of celebrities to her salon.

Including her own husband. Ever since playing co-star to Matthew Hamming in last summer's blockbuster “Sims of Fire”, Roman has become the talk of the town. So far no children yet, though the two of them have adopted a little kitten. Aunt Darlene just shakes her head whenever she thinks about it. “I have three granddaughters, two grandsons, and a grandcat. Lovely, isn't it?”

Devon and Nadia continue to inhabit the old estate and have filled it with all manner of crazy innovations. Both of them still swear that an alien invasion is coming and continue Devon's campaign to rid Sunset Valley of all telescopes and meteorites. So far their efforts have proven fruitless. “There is no proof that either of the items in question serves to attract alien attention,” so it was said.

Strange as they are, Devon and Nadia are just as loving and as sweet a couple as I have seen. To quote Iris, “They're almost as bad as Mom and Dad.”

Despite her decidedly crazy parents Electra has turned out to be a relatively normal young lady. She seems to have a mind for numbers, something that has gotten the attention of her uncle Timothy. He has taken her under his wing in hopes that she will run the family business one day.

Lex (as she prefers to be called) has also started dating a sweet boy by the name of Shea Koffi. Eight months in and they are already discussing the idea of moving in together, though part of me wonders if she just wants out of the house. Still though, they are a lovely couple, and I wish them the best.

Angelia is taking after her dad in more ways than one.

She has an innate sense of curiosity, but a not-so-innate sense of danger. Just in the last six months Angelia has managed to set herself, the workbench, the patio, and her brother on fire. We can only hope that she doesn't manage to blow up the estate in her quest for knowledge.

Poor Zach just tries to stay out of his sister's way. Most of the time you can find him lounging about in the den watching movies, though on rare occasions he does come over to visit. Despite his apparent lazy streak he is managing decently well in school, though it is clear that academics are not his first love.

Amaya has suggested acting classes to expand on his love of film, but Devon isn't so sure, and Zach doesn't seem too inclined to move...

Despite my reservations Zoey remains in the fire brigade. I would have thought after her close call she would have quit, but Zoey just shrugged it off, saying that “It's all part of the job.” Thanks to a recent promotion, though, I don't have to worry quite as much. As the new fire chief she is now more on the coordinating end of things. Her bravery has not gone unnoticed by the city, and upon her promotion a celebration was held in her honor at City Hall.

Not long after Mom's passing Andrew got word that he was being promoted to Captain, and that he would be taking a permanent post here in Sunset Valley. To say that Zoey was excited would be an understatement. Those long months apart from one another were finally coming to an end.

But their joy was rather short-lived, because not even a week later they were thrown a serious curveball when Andrew's father fell seriously ill. Mortimer was hospitalized for three weeks with complications from pneumonia, and for a while no one was sure if he was even going to survive. He managed to pull through, but was weakened significantly by the experience.

After much debate the decision was made for Andrew and Zoey to move back to Goth Manor. It was a bittersweet moment, having my baby girl move from the only home she has ever known...but we all agreed that it was the right thing for them to do.

Celestine and Hadrian continue to grow and thrive. At nine years old Hadrian has already sold his first few paintings. Being the great-grandson of Sunset Valley's premier artist certainly helps his publicity, but in truth his works stand on their own. He really is quite good.

On the other hand, Celestine dreams of making it big in professional sports. All of her life she has heard of the great accomplishments of her great-grandpa Leighton and wants nothing more than to follow in his footsteps. Zoey loves her determination, though she does wish that she didn't have to coerce her into doing her homework.

I am very excited to report that Celestine and Hadrian are about to get a new little brother or sister. Zoey is nine months pregnant and due at any time now.

Bella couldn't possibly be more excited. This will make her and Mortimer's eighth grandchild, and she makes time for every one of them.

It should go without saying that Andrew is absolutely thrilled. :)

Kenji took over from uncle Ian upon his retirement and so far things are going well. The combination bistro/sushi bar/pastry shop idea, while a bit off-the-wall, has really taken off. “It's never boring when you are making a spicy tuna roll one minute and chocolate ganache the next.”

His key lime pie, though, is what really put the restaurant on the map. It might even beat out Mom's, and that is saying a lot.

Kenji has plenty of help from his wife, who keeps the restaurant supplied with only the freshest of fish. Theirs is a profitable partnership, both personally and professionally. Karina enjoys the freedom allowed her by her chosen profession, particularly when it comes to taking care of Felicia...and the newest addition to their family.

Friends, please give a warm welcome to my newest grandson, Arthur.

Felicia is doing quite well in school and, so it seems, has taken after her mother. The last time I was over to visit she told me that she wants “a giant aquarium with tons of fish and lobsters and clams and kelp and sand and pretty rocks, too!”

The word excitable hardly even begins to describe her. Felicia is truly a love.

As for Judd and I, we're still doing quite well. Judd recently debuted a symphony in honor of my late parents. “Two Worlds, One Heart” opened to rave reviews and has already sold thousands of copies on CD and easily twice that number in digital downloads. Mom and Dad would have enjoyed the tribute, I think. It really is quite beautiful, though I would expect no less from such a talented musician as my husband.

At sixty-six Judd is still composing and has no plans of stopping anytime soon. Every morning I am awakened by the pleasant sound of him playing the piano in the foyer. It is a far cry better than a noisy alarm clock.

After over forty years of work in the science lab I have finally retired. Don't think that I plan on sitting idle, however. I am giving guest presentations at the school once per week to promote their science program, which I must say is one of the most enjoyable things that I have ever done. It is my new goal in life to prove that science really is fun, no matter how many beakers I have to destroy to do it. :P

Of course, having four grandchildren with a fifth on the way definitely takes up plenty of my time. One thing is for certain: retirement is certainly not boring.

I still visit Mom and Dad every so often. It still feels so strange that they are gone. Sometimes I swear I still hear them talking in their room at night, or the sound of their laughter somewhere off in the distance. It reminds me that, even though they are no longer here, they are still very much a part of us, who we are. Indeed, those we love never truly leave us, and in some way, I know that they are still watching.

We are their legacy, a legacy of love...and I believe that they would be proud.

Signing off, and wishing you all the best,

Elysia May Bunch Sekemoto”

--

She glanced over the text on the screen and clicked the “Submit” button. The sixty-third and final entry into the family chronicle was finished, and the tale that began with her mother and father so many decades before had finally come to its conclusion.

At that moment the door practically flew open, revealing her smiling and very excited husband.

“Ells, Andrew just called. Zoey is going into labor!”

Elysia quickly closed the laptop and got to her feet. “Let me grab my coat. Call Kenji and see if he can meet us there.” As she reached for the jacket on her bed, she couldn't help but smile.

A brand new life, a brand new story, was about to begin.

---

Author's Final Notes:

Wow. I can't believe this is actually over. This has been far and away the largest writing project that I have ever undertaken, and to be perfectly honest, one of only a few that I have ever completed. Before this I hadn't written anything in well over four years.

A big thank you and hugs to everyone who has read and commented over the past several months. Truly, you guys are an inspiration and encouraged me to continue even through the rough spots. Another giant thank you to the mods and admins on this forum, because their hard work is part of what makes this such a pleasant place to be. We have such an amazing community of writers here, and I am so happy to be a part of it.

Where to from here? Well, I do have several ideas floating around in my head and have started writing on two of them. I do hope to bring Marcus back for his own side story, but in order to do what I really want to do I would need to purchase one of the worlds that I don't have just yet.

Rest assured...I won't be silent for too long. ;)

Wishing you all the best,

Raia