Author Topic: The Sims 4 Discussion - Share your Opinion on TS4 and Gameplay Features  (Read 102723 times)

Dellena

Re: The Sims 4 Discussion - Share your Opinion on TS4 and Gameplay Features
« Reply #420 on: August 31, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »
I know what you mean about the available styles so far.  However, I look at it as EA decorating.  In my experience through the various generations of the Sims games, EA decorating has never been spectacular.  There are several homes in Sims 3 that just make me cringe.  So I'll be more curious to see what I can do for myself.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #421 on: August 31, 2014, 07:25:15 AM »
I am neither a builder or one to spend endless hours making a sim.  I just love to play the game.  That being said, I am looking forward to using the new building tools and I have made quite a few sims in the demo and have downloaded a lot of sims.  It took me a few years to even download patterns or use CC or mods.  Since the modding community is already hard at work, it won't be long that there will be more choices in sims4. I am just looking forward to just sitting back and enjoying the new interactions these little pixels have. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #422 on: August 31, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »
I think I will try cooking skill and culinary career first.

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #423 on: August 31, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »
I reckon I will start with a couple I have already created and let them live a fairly normal life. Sounds boring? That's kind of my style. I'll build them a house myself, probably, so I can explore the building tools. They'll definitely have at least three children, but I'll probably go overboard with five or six. I think a simple family will be a good way to explore some of the emotions and I can try different skills and careers with the children as they get older.
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #424 on: August 31, 2014, 09:52:40 PM »
I will probably just stick with one or two sims for now, until I get the feel of the game.  Makes it easier to move about and explore.  I will probably try my hand more at building.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline jillz

• Origin ID: Charzof
  • Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
    • The New Adventures of Priska
« Reply #425 on: August 31, 2014, 11:43:21 PM »
Notes from the Live Stream at PAX 8/30

There are quite a few good game play tips from this live stream!

SimGuru Lyndsay and Swiftor (not sure who he is, some guy from Twitch maybe?). The live stream today was only 30m.

We start off with 5 Sims, three male and two female. SimGuruLyndsay tells us that two of them are Penny Arcade creators, Jamie and Mike. (PAX stands for Penny Arcade Convention, a convention aimed specifically at gamers, that has been going on since 2004.)

Mike is feeling Flirty and Jerry is Focused. Most of the Sims are sitting in a living room area watching television and chatting. The camera pans out to show a rocket ship sitting in the front yard. SimGuruLyndsay decides to send Mike into space for a Work Out. We are told that you can check out the rocket ship launch from a computer too and choose "Listen to Space Launch"

We move to Jerry (I just noticed a FREEZER BUNNY GUITAR GUYS! It's ADORABLE) in the living room and are told that because he is Focused, he is learning his current skill faster, video gaming. We are shown the Motion Gaming Rig again, the 3D surround gaming platform that actually surrounds your Sims with the game itself and they physically move the 3D objects in whatever game they are playing. Jerry enters the Motion Gaming Rig and enters a tournament to play the Tetris like game. SimGuruLyndsay explains traits and careers to Swiftor. Jerry's traits are: Bookworm, Outgoing, Geek & Muser (from the Creativity Aspiration, Writer)

We switch to the two female Sims sitting on the sofa watching tv and are told about Multitasking again as they are instructed to Gossip with each other. The Gurus chat about Multitasking and then Lyndsay opens the Gallery to merge a new Sim into the existing family. Conveniently, there is a Sim of Swiftor, her cohost, in her personal Gallery Library.

Cut to Build more because Swiftor needs someplace to stay now that he's a member of the family and we are shown Styled Rooms. Lyndsay picks a Styled Bedroom and drops it on the house. I want to mention that she drops it on existing fencing and landscaping in the front yard. That fencing and landscaping disappear and the room goes where she wants it to go, regardless of what is already there. It literally takes ~1m to add an entire furnished and decorated bedroom onto a house now, including a roof and a set of windows.

Jerry has returned from space and he is Confident and Lyndsay decides to take the Sims to a different lot. She discusses the concept of travelling between different worlds now and I want to specifically mention that she said "Each new world has different collectibles for you to find"

Lyndsay decides to take Sims to the Gym in Oasis Springs, Burners and Builders. The loading screen for this takes ~22s which is ~7s more than the loading screens we saw when we were watching live streams from Maxis headquarters.

After a little bit of discussion about neighborhoods, we cut to Swiftor working on his Athletic skill by using a punching bag. Swiftor asks about downsides to working out and Lyndsay explains about the Uncomfortable Emotional State and we switch to a female Sim, Robin, who is in a Tense Emotional State because she is a Loner and there are too many people in the Gym. As a side note, there are probably 3-5 other Sims in the Gym when the household of 6 arrives, so there are plenty of other Sims for them to interact with. Lyndsay also explains that when a Sim with the Loner trait does make a friend, "they are better friends for longer and they actually get a boost from being around their friends." Robin chats to a male Sim sitting next to her and chooses to vent her problems and then is in a Happy Emotional State instead of Tense now.

We cut to the bathroom and see a Sim get embarrassed again when someone walks in on them and Lyndsay starts to talk about Whims. Whims are described as mini goals that will help them deal with how they are feeling (their current Emotional State) & there is always one dedicated specifically to how they are feeling. She puts some Sims on the treadmills and chats about how they can work out, chat and watch tv at the same time and Swiftor asks what channels they can watch.

Then she shows off how the Sims dance and chats about old fan favorite families that are back in this game since Don Lothario is in the background.

Lyndsay pans the camera out of the gym to go see if she can find other Sims hanging out in the neighborhood. We see 2 women sitting on some picnic tables across the street and Lyndsay says that one of her favorite things to do now is Simwatching, since their emotions come through in ways she never really expected. She has Swiftor go over to them and use "Rude Introduction" on them since he wanted to make some awkward interaction happen. We see Swiftor interacting with one of the ladies and a Swiftor throws a drink in her face and tricks her with a hand buzzer.

Lyndsay decides to take the Sims home and have a party. It takes ~16s to load the home lot back up and travel home. Lyndsay chats about the jobs in Sims 4 and it's the same information we already know, 8 careers with 2 branches each. And then she shows off some of the Styled Rooms that are unlocked with the career's, highlighing the Writer's Den room, the Heroic Deeds Headquarters which is unlocked for the Astronaut career (Side note, we saw this room in action on day 1 of the live stream with the Malakai brothers, it was in place on their lot) and The Game Room which is unlocked for reaching the top of the eSports career.

Lyndsay then brings up the Plan A Social Event menu to throw a party and when Swiftor talks about the animations on the TV, Lyndsay tells him that they are all old videos captured from The Sims 3. Note, the Prestigious Social Event Box on the menu was unticked so it's just a regular party without goals. We saw a Prestigious Dinner Party earlier in the week and that is where the medal system and unlockable rewards come into play.

Oh no! One of the house Sims wanders into the back yard too near to the cow plant and picks the piece of cake it is waving around and is consumed by the Cow Plant and then regurgitated back out.

The hired caterer makes a cake and puts it on the floor and sits down on the sofa to watch tv and chat with the other guests.

Gameplay Hint! - When you bring up the Needs Menu, the 6 basic Need bars are there: Bladder, Hunger, Energy, Fun, Social and Playtime. They all have a little round button icon at the left hand side of the bar. Lyndsay tells us that you can just press that button and it will shortcut actions to your satisfy that particular need to the action queue.

Moodlets are discussed and how they affect your Sims Emotional State. There is an easel on the deck and Lyndsay tells us that there are special painting that Sims can paint when they are in specific emotions and you can hang those paintings in in the house. Those paintings can be hung in the house and will affect the moods of Sims in the same rooms as those paintings. i.e. you could have a flirty love nest with flirty paintings everywhere.

We watch a few Sims just hanging out in the house. The hired caterer is playing in the Motion Gaming Rig, one is enjoying his bubble bath, one is playing with the Cow Plant in the back yard.

Then the Live Stream ends.

Offline Bri

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #426 on: September 01, 2014, 12:13:33 AM »
I knew I forgot to put something up here. 

Yeah, the livestream is actually up (and I had a link in the official news thread)

SimsVIP has put up a video of the Sims Team playing at Pax:
Let's Play The Sims 4: Live Broadcast (August 30th)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jillz

• Origin ID: Charzof
  • Townie
  • Knitter. Gamer. Geek.
    • The New Adventures of Priska
« Reply #427 on: September 01, 2014, 12:55:08 AM »
I compiled a list of the game play hints and tips I learned while watching the live streams this past week. It's not everything there is to know, but it's stuff I found useful and/or interesting.

Here are some game play tips I learned from watching the live streams this week:

On your Needs Menu, there is a little button/icon on the left side of each Needs bar. You can hit that button when a particular Need is low and it will automatically queue up actions in your action queue to satisfy that particular need, instead of queuing up all those actions yourself.

You can make paintings that have Emotions associated with them and hang them in your house and they will affect the mood of your Sims in the same room as the paintings. i.e. you can make Flirty paintings for you bedroom etc.

The Focused state helps you learn skills faster.

If a Sim with the Loner trait does make a friend, they are better friends for longer and the Loner Sim actually gets a boost from being around their friends.

You can throw Prestigious Social Events, earn Medals by completing specific tasks during the event and unlock rewards depending on your success.

There are in game Achievements.

Different collectables are in the different worlds.

Jobs have daily tasks that you need to complete to improve your performance and get promoted. If you ignore these tasks regularly, it will be hard to fill your performance bar.

You can change your Aspiration at any time in the game without losing progress on previous ones.

Children have their own Aspiration and Skills.

There is a specific garbage/recycling can that gives you Simoleans every time you throw something away. Not sure what the name is though.

You can replace broken objects with brand new ones for Simoleans instead of repairing it yourself.

Offline Disco

• Nooboo
« Reply #428 on: September 01, 2014, 06:18:55 AM »
Hello fellow simmers :)

Carl, you were so much help in sims 3. Ty. All that is written here is super interesting and informative. I am so excited for sims 4. Pre-ordered, awaiting .... ENOUGH ALREADY !!! Give it to me NOW !!!!! *throws money at screen
:)

Naria

« Reply #429 on: September 01, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »
On your Needs Menu, there is a little button/icon on the left side of each Needs bar. You can hit that button when a particular Need is low and it will automatically queue up actions in your action queue to satisfy that particular need, instead of queuing up all those actions yourself.

If a Sim with the Loner trait does make a friend, they are better friends for longer and the Loner Sim actually gets a boost from being around their friends.

I love these two things, I was really happy to hear about them in the Let's Play videos. When you are trying to play a larger household, just hitting a button for them to go do what they need to do will be super helpful.

Also, being a Loner myself, I adore that if they do make a friend they are better friends with them. Cause it's kind of true. It takes a real loner a lot to open up to someone and become friends, and when they do, it's pretty much for good. I'm glad my Sim will be the same.  ;D

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #430 on: September 01, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
Spoilers here, mainly related to gardening. I am going to publish a guide tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I may not be able to track down all rare plants, but am sure someone will come out with info on where to find some of them.

I just wanted to give some of my impressions now that I'm playing the game. For one, I like the Neighborhood idea. The game is very smooth on my machine and changing neighborhoods takes less than 30 seconds. More like 10. This allows me to go to other areas and try to find plants for Gardening. You do not seem to find seeds, but rather wild plants. You can splice those plants and graft them onto an existing plant to get harvestables you can re-plant. For example, I found a wild rose bush with the harvest option greyed out. I spliced it with some spinach and got a rose, which I then planted to get my own rose bush.

I love the new gardening system. Plants don't seem to die. If you own them and kill one by taking too many splices from it, you can revive it for $100. Plants seem to last forever, at least weeks, and this means you don't harvest some and then replant to get them to go up in quality. It's a vast improvement over the old system in my opinion. When my Sim is Focused (that emotion can be triggered by researching gardening on the computer) he gains skill in gardening faster. Now that I'm level 10, I'm simply tracking down rare plants and trying to complete my list. The game gives you a section on all collectibles so you can see how many you're missing (but not what they are). I suspect I may need to go to the desert world to find some other rare types of plants. There are fewer lots to visit, so the game is more about living a life with your Sim family and interacting with neighbors and exploring other neighborhoods. This isn't bad, at all.

I like that you are not continually seeking moodlets and stacking them to be happy. 1-2 good moodlets is all it takes to be happy, and this simplifies the play experience. There are plenty of rewards to buy, and your Sim will get Whims that can be kept or removed to get points. It looks like you can complete multiple aspirations with one Sim, as switch aspiration is an option.

So far, I'm giving the game a 9 at least. I put together a house easily, and people will love the new build mode. The pre-designed rooms are great, and you can sell objects out of them that you don't need to help your cash. Cheats have been trimmed down a lot, but that's OK. I'm afraid I'm not able to use moveobjects on/off to further customize. So far the only ones I know are kaching, motherlode, and testingcheats true/false (not testingcheatsenabled true). I am only able to control moods with it and reset sims/objects. It's mainly for debugging and getting unstuck. When you type help, you're greeted with a few simple cheats (not kaching/motherlode) but resetsim firstname lastname and a couple others.

I'm rambling a bit. There's so much to say about the game.. I love the collectibles, fishing is great as fish do not require specific bait but rather types - organic, or other fish for example. It's much easier to catch good fish to use to fertilize and evolve plants. Gardening was my go-to and I'm very pleased with it.

Dellena

« Reply #431 on: September 01, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »
I'll be pouring over that gardening guide as soon as it's out.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #432 on: September 01, 2014, 07:58:40 PM »
Me too - I can't wait to see the lists of collectibles - plants, fish etc. I wish I could help write one of the guides, but I won't be able to get the game any time soon.

Offline kymber13

• Nooboo
« Reply #433 on: September 01, 2014, 08:25:26 PM »
Long weekend here in the US, and instead of going back to work tomorrow I'm taking a vacation day. Guess what I'll be doing?!  :D 

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #434 on: September 01, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
Looking forward to getting my game tomorrow!  While I'll have a few hours every day to play, I can't wait until next weekend when I can spend all day checking out the new stuff!