Author Topic: Proposed Challenges  (Read 74024 times)

Offline jmz95

• Immortal
Re: Proposed Challenges
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »
The lifespan in BB II will be set to Normal. That is absolutely critical. Even accidentally leaving at Long because of another event would royally screw things up and give you an advantage. That's something I'm a little worried about, but I just don't think there's anything I can do about it. Every existing challenge is Long. So, players will just have to force themselves to always know to set that one game file to Normal.
Yeah, that will be a big thing if someone accidentally leaves their lifespan on long. But, wouldn't that be a disadvantage to someone that leaves it on long, because it would take longer for life events to happen but everybody still gets 50 days.
"Yes, I try to pick up strange babies, but only in the game.  Don't judge me." - Pam
Too late, Pam. Too late.

Members with at least 25 posts do not see ads within a topic.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »
Yeah, that will be a big thing if someone accidentally leaves their lifespan on long. But, wouldn't that be a disadvantage to someone that leaves it on long, because it would take longer for life events to happen but everybody still gets 50 days.

Everyone still gets 50 days no matter the setting, but the big issue is your starting female would remain fertile a little longer if you forgot to change the length to Normal from Long.

Offline TheCub

• Townie
« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »
So one of the goals of the challenge is to have as many children as possible? If you use long lifespan it takes more than 50 days for babies to age up to young adults. You could only have a maximum of six children since none of them would grow old enough to move out. With normal lifespan they will age up in about half the time, so the oldest kids could move out to make room for more. It looks like long would be a disadvantage in this case.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »
So one of the goals of the challenge is to have as many children as possible? If you use long lifespan it takes more than 50 days for babies to age up to young adults. You could only have a maximum of six children since none of them would grow old enough to move out. With normal lifespan they will age up in about half the time, so the oldest kids could move out to make room for more. It looks like long would be a disadvantage in this case.

Yeah, that's a good point. The kids would get more time to work on their Lifetime Wishes, and that's going to be a scoring component as well. Well, let's just hope everyone remembers to play at Normal and there won't be any issues.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • Ravensgate Legacy Official Website
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2010, 02:03:29 AM »
Oh, a normal lifespan. Now I can play my Legacy family without having to remember to change it!

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2010, 03:41:36 PM »
Babies.. and lots of them. Dang these challenges are really getting me playing differently. I like playing families, but I usually only go for small families with one or two kids at a time. This one could prove interesting.. even for a real life mum of 4   ;D

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out Twinsom Realty for all my houses listed on the Swap Shop
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline nobi_fawkes

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
But then once they've moved out, you don't have any control over them, do you?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
But then once they've moved out, you don't have any control over them, do you?

No you don't. Once the kids achieve their Lifetime Wish you'll have the option to move them out. This is one of the many differences between BB I and BB II. In Baby Boomer I as soon as the kids reached Young Adult, you kicked them out. But, it's going to be tougher this time because you won't be able to kick them out until they achieve their LTW. AND — all LTW will have to be different. Tough, tough, tough! It's going to be a heck (see, Pam, I can control myself) of a juggling act.

Offline nobi_fawkes

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2010, 09:58:28 PM »
Ouch. This only serves to remind me that I'm not ready for kids; virtual or real. Tell a lie, I've juggled 4 kids and 2 adults who want to do their own thing.  It was hard, though

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2010, 10:16:15 AM »
I had an idea for a challenge.  The Ambrosia Challenge or The Ghostly Challenge, where you have to get the required skills and eventually make ambrosia and bring a ghost back to life.  The challenge, I suppose is to find the life fruit seed and of course catch the deathfish, which of course you have to have fishing.  I posted in the wrong spot, but it was just an idea.  I haven't brought back anyone yet, but I do have a sim that is growing deathfish, she only had one more lifefruit, so had to plant it.  Special seeds are abundant in RV.  Have found three spots where I get them everyday.  Just a thought, sounded interesting.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2010, 10:21:10 AM »
I like the idea, Salty. "A Ghost of a Challenge" is a name that just popped into my head. Maybe others can throw out additional ideas for a ghost-focused challenge. There should probably be more than just seeing who can bring a ghost back to life the quickest.

bshag

« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »
Hey Metro...salty and I were discussing this the other day as I am currently in the process of bringing Erik Darling back.  Agnes Crumplebottom already had a headstart as she had several cooking points when I started playing her.  I am in sort of a race as she is already almost adult and that's what gave us the idea.  I'm not sure what the goals would be...we thought a time oriented goal would be good, as in a normal lifespan, etc.  You definitely have more experience in challenges than us. :)  

I brought back a sim I accidently killed in an experiment and he was truly a happy camper. ;D  Heck, maybe I'll bring back the whole dang graveyard. :D  

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
Just expanding on the Ambrosia Idea...

Age Span: Long
Sims: One (YA or A)
No Cheats
No Holidays

First you have to be able to make your first Ambrosia Dish, note week and day. Then you have to revive as many Ghosts as Possible in set amount of time.

It's just some ideas...

Offline nobi_fawkes

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »
First you have to be able to make your first Ambrosia Dish, note week and day. Then you have to revive as many Ghosts as Possible in set amount of time.
Sounds interesting. But don't you have to rely a lot on luck? I mean the making part is easy, but getting ghosts to eat it seems nigh on impossible.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2010, 06:47:48 PM »
A few people have had problems with the Wrong Ghosts eating the ambriosa though, if it were hard to get ghosts to eat it then wouldn't that make it challenging?

Offline HelenP

• Townie
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »
If it was sheer number of ghosts eating ambrosia then would it matter which ghost ate it? Surely they would all count.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
I guess that would be the whole idea of it being a challenge.  I have not brought a ghost back yet, but I am in the process, I am sure we could come up with something.  I thought it just sounded interesting, either how many in a certain time span or maybe an intentional ghost, just thinking....and that sometimes hurts, lol.

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2010, 08:04:08 PM »
By the way Metro, that is a catchy title, I like that.  I do not have a very good imagination, so it is good that at least someone does.

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

TylerDurden

« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »
I like the idea, Salty. "A Ghost of a Challenge" is a name that just popped into my head. Maybe others can throw out additional ideas for a ghost-focused challenge. There should probably be more than just seeing who can bring a ghost back to life the quickest.
This would simply be a race to get gardening to level 7 so you can plant rare/special plants and catch a deathfish and max out cooking to get the recipe.

The big variables that I see would be managing to collect a life fruit plant seed, as the seeds are truly random, one could be hosed by the random seed generator.  Money for the ambrosia book should not really a major issue as other threads have shown, and ghosts are always available every night in the graveyard.  Just take a plate of ambrosia there and set it on the ground and SOMEONE will come eat it every time.

I'll have to try this out just to see how quick I can get it done.  Should be fun.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2010, 03:19:06 AM »
The main thing is seeing how many Ghosts you can bring back, then you could get like points for each one.

Offline LenaLJ

• Immortal
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2010, 07:08:03 AM »
Don't know if this would be the right post to say it in, but I do it anyway.

Metro - isn't there room for a 14th challenge? I counted the weeks and if we have 10 weeks for every challenge, there should be room for one more at the end. If I counted right, there could be a challenge from October 1 to December 10.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2010, 07:10:42 AM »
Dont know if this would be the right post to say it in but i do do it anyway.

Metro - isnt there room for a 14. challenge. I counted the weeks and if we have 10 weeks for every challenge there should be room for one more at the end. If i counted right there could be a challenge from 1. oktober to 10. december.

Yeah, Lena, technically you're right. But, I'd like a small amount of downtime before the 2011 Tournament begins. During that time I'll have to do a lot of planning on what worked this year, what didn't etc. Maybe I'll actually spend more time with my family!  :D

Offline LenaLJ

• Immortal
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2010, 08:19:31 AM »
Ok. It was just a thought when it looks like you have lots of good challenge ideas, but just not spaces enough. That's why I mentioned it.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2010, 09:24:12 AM »
I'll consider adding one more down the road. No promises. November-December is also typically an extremely busy time for many people with the holidays and traveling, vacations, etc. So, that's another reason why I ended the Tournament in Mid-Nov.

Offline AriaGirl77

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »
Read back a bit, I think a ghost challenge would be really fun.  I've never actually brought a ghost back from the dead so it would be fun to explore a part of the game I haven't experienced yet. :)