Author Topic: Bees and honey  (Read 78684 times)

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
Bees and honey
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:04:45 AM »
I bought a few hives but haven't managed to get any honey from them yet.  My sim also got stung a few times.  Does anyone know the best way to take care of the hives and get the honey?  How long does it take for honey to form?

Offline Vegangeekgirl

• Townie
Re: Bees and honey
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 03:41:20 AM »
I gotten honey from mine and my Sim haven't gotten stung. I picked smoke hive, clean hive, harvest honey and then feed bees.
Not sure how long it takes.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 07:00:28 AM »
It takes about 1-2 days for honey to start being harvestable. You can also get beeswax out of it.

My rotation is Smoke Hive, Harvest Honey, Clean Hive, Feed Bees.

I'm pretty sure that in real life, you'd want to smoke the hive before doing anything, as smoking the hive kind of lulls the bees into a quieter stage.

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:39:20 AM »
Thanks, I will try this out!  How much honey do you get from the hives?  Isn't it faster/cheaper to get it from the store, given that feeding the bees costs 150 simoleons?

Offline Lysita

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 08:31:52 AM »
I haven't noticed that feeding the bees costs anything. And I was able to harvest within the first 24 sim hours, I just did the smoke, clean, feed routine straight away. I believe you need to feed them for them to be able to make honey, or make it quicker.

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »
I tried the smoke, clean, feed, harvest method but sometimes my sim still gets stung.  Is this supposed to happen?

Also, most of my honey seems to be bad quality or worse. :(  Is there a way to improve the quality of the honey?

Offline inde

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 12:36:23 PM »
Clean and Feed, Clean and Feed, Clean and Feed.  Getting stung is somewhat helpful, because that lets you know your bees are displeased with your beekeeping aptitude. Once your bees are happy, they will buzz around in circles instead of wildly flying about.  That is when you should be able to harvest better quality honey.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline candyraver69

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 01:54:12 PM »
I haven't proven anything yet, but I think besides the order you care for the hive the frequency is also important. I have tried the hive in 2 different households, and it seemed that the house where I did the routine once a day, he stopped getting stung after the first few days AND the honey was good. The house where I leave the hive alone until I need it because I am too busy, I get stung all the time and the honey and wax is bad quality (bad, horrifying, etc) regardless of smoking the hive.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »
Just like in RL, bees need "Tending", to make happy bee honey.  I don't think you harvest honey everyday in rl though. lol  Smokin', harvestin', cleanin' and feedin' my hives.

PS:  Anyone know if you can keep the honey and beeswax on a shelf, in the frig or does it have to stay in inventory?  In RL if you refrigerate honey it crystalizes.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline thelittlepakeha

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »
lol to be quite honest I actually just harvest my honey from the hives at the elixir consignment store or arboretum. The quality ranges from nice to perfect without me having to clean or feed - I just smoke and harvest. Haven't been stung yet. I've been keeping my honey in the alchemy cabinet just to stop my fairy from drinking it all the time. It gives her a nice moodlet - but my alchemy ingredients!

Offline elaine

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »
Feed, Smoke, Take honey, Clean - Worked for me.

Offline thesimslover828

• Playing The Sims 3 again, WooHoo!!!
  • Immortal
  • Death To The Visitors, V Is For Victory
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 03:25:33 AM »
Honey is also at the grocery store, I just found out. I'll get honey that way, it's easy lol. ;D
We are of peace, always but this is war.
We are of peace, always.
We'll help build a resistance. We have to fight.

When all you've ever loved has been stolen from you, sometimes all you have left is revenge.
For the truly wronged, satisfaction can be found in one of two places,  absolute forgiveness or mortal vindication. This is not a story about forgiveness. When deception cuts this deep, someone has to pay.

Offline thelittlepakeha

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 03:39:02 AM »
Selling perfect beeswax at the consignment store the listed price is 140, plus whatever markup, just in case anyone has spare beeswax and not enough money.

Offline Sammijo

• Nooboo
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
There is a tip on loading that says smoking the hive makes the bees happy and that improves the quality and quantity of honey.

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
I've gone to smoking + harvesting, smoking + cleaning + feeding, doing both twice a day and my honey is still only Great at best.  Usually it's normal or nice.

Taking care of the hives takes a long time, too!  It might be easiest to go buy honey from the grocery store or harvest the good honey from the arboretum.

Offline Draekros

• Nooboo
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »
Also if you have a bee hive on your home lot and then hire a butler, your butler will try and clean the bees constantly (getting stung/attacked most of the time - due to not performing a "smoke bees" action) and never do anything else. Also they'll get stuck in their "everyday" outfit. I ended up having to dismiss my butler (after the 3rd  or 4th bee attack), then blocking off the area with my hives and locking the entrance to everyone but household. Then I rehired the butler and she seems to be working normally now (except the occasional outburst that she can't go get stung by the bees anymore 8)).

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 09:50:28 PM »
Is it normal for sims to change into their swimwear when interacting with a beehive?
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline thelittlepakeha

• Townie
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »
Is it normal for sims to change into their swimwear when interacting with a beehive?

ahahaha best mental image. I haven't seen that - mine just change into whatever they were wearing with a hat that has mesh hanging off it so their faces are protected but nothing else.

Offline Nataruma

• Nooboo
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 09:32:34 AM »

Are you sure your sim doesn't have the daredevil trait?  ;) Sounds like something a daredevil would do, though I personally haven't tried it.
Brother: You make your male sims pregnant?! Why would you do that???
Me: Divine retribution, for I am Sim-God.
Brother: Remind me never to ** you off.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
The sim in question is a Daredevil, yup. That would be interesting if it makes a difference - tending the garden is pretty much one sim's job so I've never had anyone else work with the beehive.

Offline SpiritedTreasure

• Sosi the Raven
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »
I have 2 hives. 1st hive smoke, clean, feed, gather. No problem

Go to next hive.. Smoke.. BEE attack!  :o Scream and run away with angry bees following. When at last they stop stinging my poor little faerie, go back and clean, feed, gather with no problem .. Huh?  ???
"Courage looks you straight in the eye. She is not impressed with power trippers, and she knows first aid. Courage is not afraid to weep, and she is not afraid to pray, even when she is not sure who she is praying to. When she walks it is clear she has made the journey from loneliness to solitude. The people who told me she was stern were not lying. they just forgot to mention she was kind."
-J. Ruth Gendler

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 01:09:24 PM »
I just checked the Daredevil thing. I had two other sims tend the beehive - one Daredevil and one not. The Daredevil sim changed into his swimwear. The non-Daredevil sim just put on a beekeeper hat. Seems conclusive. :)

I smoke, clean, smoke, feed, smoke, gather - maybe I'm paranoid because my first ever attempt to harvest resulted in a bee attack? But my sims still get stung sometimes.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »
Ok, the bees have a happiness level on a scale of 1-100. 97 is the threshold for perfect honey. To make the bees happy you need to clean and feed them. When they are cleaned and fed, their happiness goes up by 1.5 per hour. They make honey every 12 hours. The box only stores up to 5 units of honey. When you first buy the box their happiness level is 50. So you should smoke them (to reduce the chance you get stung by 90%) then feed and clean them as often as you can to increase their happiness. The smoke lasts for 4 hours. The happiness level of bees on community lots will never go below 72.

Offline WickedSimmer87

• Occult
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
Awesome info!

Thanks chuckles :D

Chuckles_82

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 10:10:47 PM »
Despite the above info that I found in the game code, my bees seem to be producing worse and worse honey, despite cleaning and feeding at least twice a day. I'm wondering if there is some sort of glitch with the hives. Has anyone else noticed this? I'll be resetting the hive to see if it works or selling and replacing it.

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
Despite the above info that I found in the game code, my bees seem to be producing worse and worse honey, despite cleaning and feeding at least twice a day. I'm wondering if there is some sort of glitch with the hives. Has anyone else noticed this? I'll be resetting the hive to see if it works or selling and replacing it.

I did notice that too, to the point that honey went from Perfect to Horrifying and Putrid.

Since I had enough honey and wax, I just sold the hives.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
Bees and honey
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
My bees are making horrid honey :( I mean I have had all levels of bad.

Offline WickedSimmer87

• Occult
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 03:19:49 AM »
If someone isnt against cheating. Go into edit neighborhood and place a wished sized lot next to your own, change it to community lot and place hives there  ::) Sorry if it doesnt fit into here, but in my opinion it sort of does since that hives never give bad ones on public lots  ;D

If admin deem it doesnt, feel free to tell me to remove or just delete it :)

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 03:33:21 AM »

I stuck with Smoke Hive, Harvest Honey, Clean Hive, Feed Bees once a day on each hive and it improved each day until I was getting at least one Perfect honey from each. If I leave it for longer it starts slipping, but at once a day I've had no problems.
[they/them pronouns please]

Offline Toni

• Sydrian Bookworm
  • Occult
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 06:49:07 AM »
I find that smoking, cleaning, feeding and then harvesting works best for me. In 10 days my sim only got stung once, and they got perfect honey. Also, honey is really good for money. My sim family lives of it with only 3 hives.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 07:17:44 AM »
After buying a new hive, restarting the game and clearing caches, my hive started working as normal again. I had got it up to perfect before it started diving - so just a glitch I guess, but it wasn't just the one hive. I don't know where it stems from, but it's fixed for now. I'm up to the same amount of time again (about 2 weeks) so we'll see. I also like smoke, harvest, clean, feed. I think so long as you clean and feed them every 12 hours they'll continue to produce perfect honey.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 08:40:17 AM »
I had the same thing happen, but it happened almost immediately. I'll try clearing caches. In the meantime smoke -> (clean, feed) repeated for 3.5 hours -> harvest honey has gotten it from Horrifying and Putrid back up to Bad - that worked out to about 6 clean/feed cycles a day.

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »
I've never yet had bad honey. I smoke, harvest, smoke, clean, smoke feed. I have "great" honey.Only stung once.

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »
I find that smoking, cleaning, feeding and then harvesting works best for me. In 10 days my sim only got stung once, and they got perfect honey. Also, honey is really good for money. My sim family lives of it with only 3 hives.

Not that I have any perfect honey, but I'm curious how much your sims are making from the honey?

Offline Toni

• Sydrian Bookworm
  • Occult
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 02:49:58 AM »
Not that I have any perfect honey, but I'm curious how much your sims are making from the honey?

For nice honey, on the second day I was getting 10 bottles of honey each selling for around 34 simoleans. Then I got 6 Beeswax and they sold for around 50 simoleans and everyday the price goes up so after 4 days you get around 600 a day or more. At least thats what my games giving me. Peoples games seem to be quite different with all these glitches.

Offline CountessCrazy

• Nooboo
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 08:28:32 PM »
In the lessons it says that smoking may keep the bees from stinging but it also makes them eat less(I think that is what it said) and therefore the honey won't be as good. I don't care if my sims
get stung, I never smoke the hive, and I get perfect honey as long as I feed and clean every day.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum, CountessCrazy! 

I haven't done a lot with beekeeping, and every time I have a Sim harvest honey, I always go through the whole routine of smoking, feeding and cleaning.  I don't know if it helps or not - sometimes my Sims get stung anyway.  I'd rather not let them get stung, as I don't like the negative moodlet, but so far I haven't found a surefire way to prevent it.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2012, 11:41:43 AM »
Like someone said, if you neglect the hives and then try and harvest or clean, your sim will get stung.  It does take some patience to finally get it right.  I know my honey was foul most of the time.  When I started, I used, smoke, feed, clean.  In a few hours it had harvest, then I would harvest.  She would get stung, but I sent her back and she finished.  I kept up with that routine for two days and finally got nice honey.  I am with the rest of them though, I finally started to just buy it from the store, because if she neglected the hives for just one day, the honey would be bad. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Leto85

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »

I got the feeling something else might have an influence as well. Max Skills was very able to crack that quality up in no-tine at all.
Maybe some other skills are influencing this? I assume Alchemy in the first place. But maybe gardening or even cooking will play a role as well.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »
My beekeeper has supermaxed Gardening, and gets really lousy honey. He does only have Alchemy at 2. Hrm.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 03:25:56 AM »
Ok, I think I found what the problem is. Despite smoking making the bees less likely to sting you, it makes them 15% less happy. I suspect that the glitch we're encountering is caused by that value possibly stacking. Either that or the cumulative 15% every 12 hours makes them less happy than being cleaned and fed. Therefore, I'd suggest not smoking the bees at all, but just cleaning and feeding them, if you want perfect honey and beeswax (and don't mind getting stung every now and then).

Leto85

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 05:03:14 AM »
Ok, I think I found what the problem is. Despite smoking making the bees less likely to sting you, it makes them 15% less happy. I suspect that the glitch we're encountering is caused by that value possibly stacking. Either that or the cumulative 15% every 12 hours makes them less happy than being cleaned and fed. Therefore, I'd suggest not smoking the bees at all, but just cleaning and feeding them, if you want perfect honey and beeswax (and don't mind getting stung every now and then).

Really? Because my sims smoke the bees constantly before doing the other things. And still the quality is perfect.

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 04:49:27 PM »
Really? Because my sims smoke the bees constantly before doing the other things. And still the quality is perfect.

I agree, smoke them 2 or 3 times befoer trying anything and they don't sting and the honey is good.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
I agree, smoke them 2 or 3 times befoer trying anything and they don't sting and the honey is good.

Two or three times?  I've only ever done it once; maybe that's why my Sims often get stung.  I'll have to try doing it more than once.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline aphonycree

• Nooboo
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 10:18:58 PM »
I noticed that the hives in the Arboretum are next to a fire fruit plant. Maybe, like in real life, quality of the honey has to do with the quality of the plants the bees have been pollinating. I'm going to move my hive next to my garden and see if that helps.

Offline ChaiLatte

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
Beeswax counts as a harvestable for the "Uncommonly Good" opportunity. I discovered this with a sim who nearly maxed out gardening with tabcasts and never touched a plant.

Offline Kamakani

• Nooboo
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2013, 11:53:23 PM »
Bees have a random chance of stinging no matter how happy they are or regardless of whether you smoke them.  Happy/clean bees will have a much lower chance of stinging.  Smoking the hive will reduce the chance of stinging even more.

Each bee hive has three happiness levels, Angry, Content, and Happy. The game keeps a hidden score of their mood in a range between 1 and 100. Anything below 30, and they're Angry. Between that and 65, they're Content. Above 65, and they're Happy. When you first buy and place the hive, the score starts at 50. Bees are made happy by cleaning the hive and feeding them. When the hive is both fed AND clean, it adds to the happiness score by 1.5 points per hour. If the hive is dirty, you lose 1.5 per hour, and the same 1.5 with being hungry, so that you'll lose 3 happiness per hour if bees are both hungry and dirty. Hunger and cleanliness both have their own 1-100 values. Hunger decays at 4 per hour, and cleanliness decays at 2 per hour.

The hive produces honey, which can eaten directly or be used in cooking and is an alchemy ingredient. The quality of the honey produced is based on the bees' happiness score:

12.5 - Foul
    25 - Bad
    37.5 - Normal
    50 - Nice
    62.5 - Very Nice
    75 - Great
    82.5 - Excellent
    90 - Outstanding
    97 - Perfect

They produce one bottle of honey per 12 hours, and store up to 5 bottles' worth (or 2.5 days worth) at a time.

In short.  Feed and Clean your bees 2-3 times a day.  Collect honey once every couple of days, and like me you will never have your honey/beeswax quality drop below perfect/outstanding quality.  Just remember that the Hunger/cleanliness of the bees decays faster than it raises, so if you neglect them for even 1 day you will end up with foul/bad honey/beeswax again.

Offline sunshinedays83

• Nooboo
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
I always do mine in the order smoke, harvest, feed, clean and as long as I do it at least once a day my honey goes up to and stays at perfect. I don't know if its a glitch or not but I am also able to harvest again as soon as I feed the bees. So as soon as I finish my order I  can immediately do it again and again until I feel like stopping! I can even cut out smoking and cleaning after the first time and just do harvest and then feed and the harvest again. I don't go longer than a few hours without smoking the box though. Hope this helps!

Offline Avery4u

• Townie
  • The Watcher Of Logan Foster
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
I always get bad or horrible honey, I have a garden, I feed them and cleAn, and smoke! I don't know, it's a crazy life sometimes! ::) ::)

Avery :)
If You Need A Call, Get A Phone.

- Avery

Offline Sindocat

• Fairy Godfather
  • Townie
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
Thanks for all the tips here. My Sims want to get a bee keeping box, and I have limited experience with the process.

One thing I did find when I tried it before was that if I had a butler (from Late Night), he would always be drawn to try to work with the bees, and end up getting swarmed and stung, but return and try again, in a continuous loop.

So if you have bees, don't get a butler. Or do, and let comedy ensue. :D
"Who cannot draw upon three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe

Offline NurseNicole

• Nooboo
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 12:08:57 AM »
Where do you get bees and hives?  I read it is under hobbies and skills but I don't have anything relating to bees at all.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 12:38:52 AM »
Go into Buy mode > Sort By: Function > Entertainment > Hobbies and Skills > Mrs Stingly's Beekeeping Box
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline laurenluvssims

• Nooboo
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2018, 11:16:06 AM »
I am having trouble keeping my bees calm and iam not getting any of the options to clean the hive and etc...I must be doing something wrong? Any ideas or thoughts? :(

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
You might try resetting the town or evicting the household and moving them back in. Other than that I'm not sure what to do other than replace the bee box to see if that will help.

Reset Town, Individual Sims and/or Evict Household (How-To)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg401812#msg401812
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

anything