Author Topic: My Game Won't Save  (Read 13538 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
My Game Won't Save
« on: November 30, 2012, 01:56:07 AM »
I'm having a problem with one of my game files.  It's a relatively new file in Lunar Lakes with Carina Dreamweaver and a couple of kittens.  I've cleaned the caches and the DCBackup folder (except for ccmerged).  I've tried Save, Save As, and Save and Quit.  None of them will work and the plumbob just keeps spinning until I use the Task Manager to force quit the game.  No custom content, updated to current patch.  I'm running all expansions and all stuff packs except for Katy Perry and Diesel.  If anyone has suggestions for me, I'd sure appreciate it. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: My Game Won't Save
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:18:42 AM »
Can you go all out and clear every cache?

That's DCBackup (except ccmerged), the Thumbnails folder, the World Cache folder and all five .package caches (compositorCache, simCompositorCache, SocialCache, CASPartCache, and scriptCache).

Also, is it in every game, or is it only with Carina's file? In addition, do you have any xcpt files (they will end with .mdmp, and the filenames begin with xcpt) in the Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Korva

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:20:45 AM »
I've had this freeze-crash when saving in Moonlight Falls on three separate occasions. In my case, it was related to build/buy mode -- twice after trying to build on my home lot, and just now after trying to build on an owned community lot (in which case it happened whether I used Edit Town or "build/buy here" from the real estate option). If you think this may be the root of your problem as well, and it's due to having built on your home lot, try going into Edit Town to evict your family using the "Move Out with Home" option. Then bulldoze the lot and place the family plus home back. That fixed it for me. At least temporarily.  ::) With the community lot, I got it to work by saving it to the bin, bulldozing, putting the saved lot back and re-buying it.

The crash log analyzer someone posted a link to didn't help, sadly. All it said was to update some expansion packs, and my game's patched to 1.42. The xcpt text file complains about an access violation and "DasmX86Dll.dll not found".

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:45:53 AM »
Are you overwriting a previous save file. If so you might try using a different save name.
I've had to do this a few times when a game wouldn't save.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:21:28 PM »
@Seabody:

I didn't clear all the ones you mentioned.  I'll try doing that.  It's just Carina's file.

@Korva:

Yes, it actually is after I go into Build/Buy.  I replaced Carina's bed and was trying to save either the next Sim day or immediately after buying the new bed.  I'll give your solution a try, too.

@grimsoul:

I've tried it both ways.

Edit:  I did all the stuff and now it's working.  Thanks everyone!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline simmum

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:14:38 AM »
I've just had this same problem. I've just tried to build a second floor to my Dynasty house and the first time I tried, I didn't even have chance to save as the game froze and I had to go into task manager which then brought up a box saying that the game had encountered a problem and it had to close. The next 3 times I tried to build the same thing again and each time, the game crashed when I tried to save it. Now I have just built an extension onto the existing single storey house and saved and that seems to have worked! Annoying though as I would have liked a 2 storey house really, I may try the other suggestions later when my family has more money and hopefully they will work.
Pam, has your game been ok since you did the suggestions?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 03:26:33 AM »
I've just had this same problem. I've just tried to build a second floor to my Dynasty house and the first time I tried, I didn't even have chance to save as the game froze and I had to go into task manager which then brought up a box saying that the game had encountered a problem and it had to close. The next 3 times I tried to build the same thing again and each time, the game crashed when I tried to save it. Now I have just built an extension onto the existing single storey house and saved and that seems to have worked! Annoying though as I would have liked a 2 storey house really, I may try the other suggestions later when my family has more money and hopefully they will work.
Pam, has your game been ok since you did the suggestions?

Yes, it's been perfectly fine.  I think it was probably Korva's suggestion that fixed it.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline simmum

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »
That's good to know  :)

Offline Korva

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 06:10:31 AM »
Adding a second floor to my house was in fact one of the situations that caused the freeze-crash when trying to save for me, too.

Offline TaliaSimmySim

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 04:02:29 PM »
Can you go all out and clear every cache?

That's DCBackup (except ccmerged), the Thumbnails folder, the World Cache folder and all five .package caches (compositorCache, simCompositorCache, SocialCache, CASPartCache, and scriptCache).

Also, is it in every game, or is it only with Carina's file? In addition, do you have any xcpt files (they will end with .mdmp, and the filenames begin with xcpt) in the Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder?

I'm having this same problem. These .mdmp files. I have quite a few of them. What are they and can I get rid of them?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:06:21 PM »
The .mdmp files can be safely deleted. They are caused from when your game crashes.

General Crashing Issues (Tips to help with)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg425173#msg425173

The Sims 3 Has Stopped Working (Tips)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg425117#msg425117

If the game isn't able to be saved, it may be due to the game save being corrupt. Try using Save As and giving it a new name.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *