Author Topic: Difference between asking to be roommate and moving in  (Read 107101 times)

Offline Darstan64

• Townie
Difference between asking to be roommate and moving in
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

Ok, I know theres a whole thread on roommates on the university life board but I wasn't sure if the sims3 and university life are exactly the same when it comes to having roommates or asking someone to move in so I put the question here if thats ok.

What I want to know is how come when I'm out and about chatting and socializing with other sims some sims when I chat with them have the question come up as "ask to move in" and other sims it comes up as "ask to be roommate".  What's the difference?

What I want to know is how can I have someone move in and I won't have to control them at all?  The more sims in a house that I have to "control" the harder it is to keep track of everything they are doing and should be doing and where they are going, etc. 

Is there anyway to ask someone to "move in" or "ask to be roommate" and have  someone else controlling that sim just like I'm controlling my own sim?

Thanks again for all your help :)

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
Re: Question about roommates again please
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
Ask to Move In - adds the sim to your household.  They're just like any other sim in your household, controllable by you.  This interaction usually only appears after some friendly social interaction (in the top left corner it will say "simA thinks simB is being sociable/friendly.")

Ask to be Roommate - does not add the sim to your household, but does make them live with your household.  The sim will live in your house similar to the way a butler does.  They will keep their job, they will leave the house, they will eat, sleep, watch TV, bathe, etc, but they can't be controlled by you.  Once a week they will pay rent.  The roommate does remove a household slot from the pool, so keep that in mind.  For example, if you had two playable sims and two roommates, the game counts that as four sim slots being taken up out of the possible eight maximum.  You would only be able to add four more playable sims, four more roommates, or any combination that adds up to four to the household.

So for sims you don't have to control, you'd be wanting to add roommates.  The game will do the controlling of the roommate for you. :)  Hopefully that helps sort it out!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Darstan64

• Townie
Re: Difference between asking to be roommate and moving in
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »
Thank you so much for your help Vinyl! 

It makes alot of sense and does clear up the roommate confusion. :)

Offline bflatclarinet

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »
I need some help. My character is married to her roommate and they have not moved in with one another. What can I do?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:27:44 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, bflatclarinet.

Do you not have control over the roommate since the wedding?

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Dellena

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 06:11:52 AM »
My guess is you'll have to dismiss them as a roommate and then ask them to move in.  You might need to call them to invite them over after you've dismissed them as a roommate.  This might also work.  Right after you dismiss them as a roommate and before they leave the lot, hit pause, turn on the cheats and shift+click on them.  You'll hopefully see the option to "Add Sim to Current Household."  That should also work.

anything