Author Topic: Error 12/ random crashing...  (Read 1816 times)

Offline janehumen

• Nooboo
Error 12/ random crashing...
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »
So, since beginning to play UL, I've had more issues with my game. Before installing UL my game would crash once in a while, but not to the point where I lost significant amounts of gameplay. I normally save every 2-3 minutes while playing. Better safe than sorry. But, in the last day or two, I've encountered error 12 while trying to save. I've seen that pop-up at least 15 times now, and before installing UL I never had error 12. I would run into random game crashes (as I said above) but nothing worse than that. This is really impacting my ability to make progress in my game since when I go to make cautionary save-game attempts, a lot of the time, it just doesn't work. Sometimes I forget to save until I've played for 20 minutes, only to find an error 12 message when I try to save!

I have a few questions:

-Could the game's instability have to do with UL just having been released? I'm not sure if it's been patched yet or if that would have anything to do with the fact that I'm experiencing more frequent crashing/inability to save.

-Could this possibly have something to do with the fact that I'm running the game on a laptop? I have a Macbook Pro with plenty of memory and I always make sure to close background programs before starting the game.

-Should I mess with my game's graphics settings to improve stability? If so, what changes should I make?

I have no CC and very little store content installed...

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: Error 12/ random crashing...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Does this happen on only one game or multiple?  Is it a game you started since the installation or one you had before?  Sometimes it doesn't matter what content you have installed but if you're playing a long generational game, you just start getting these type of errors.

Make sure you don't have reflections turned on is one of the main things I can tell you to do.  Also, draw distance doesn't have to be that high. 

Are you getting any xcpt files in your Sims 3 folder? 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline janehumen

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Does this happen on only one game or multiple?  Is it a game you started since the installation or one you had before?  Sometimes it doesn't matter what content you have installed but if you're playing a long generational game, you just start getting these type of errors.

Make sure you don't have reflections turned on is one of the main things I can tell you to do.  Also, draw distance doesn't have to be that high. 

Are you getting any xcpt files in your Sims 3 folder?

This happens on both of my games, but they're both only a single generation right now.

I have no idea if I get those files. How do I find out? I presume I could run a search, but what folder should I look in?

I usually only get these errors after playing for an hour or more. I think maybe my laptop has just had enough of the Sims after a certain period of time. It's trying to break my habit! Grr.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
The xcpt files would be in your Sims folder.  Usually found under Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3. 

Were the games you are playing created prior to your installation of University Life?  Does it happen if you make a new game?
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'