Author Topic: The Lady of the Lake: Epilogue (Completed)  (Read 61621 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 9 - Fight or Flight
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 02:36:26 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 9 – Flight or Fight

While the villagers rejoiced at the liberation of their women and children, a head-count soon revealed that the loss of villagers to death and capture had been considerable.  In addition to losing many young field workers, the village also lost the Apothecary, the Reeve, the Blacksmith, and the Miller.  With the loss of so many young and skilled men, the survival of the village was tenuous. 

Sir Bors organised for the sleeping soldiers to be carried off and placed in a number of lockable spaces within the village as there was no jail as such to be had.  He then asked for a meeting with the village elders at the Apothecary’s house to discuss their plans for the future.  One of the elders thanked Sir Bors for his clever plan to retake the village which yielded no casualties.

“Being raided by an advancing army must have been terrifying for all but being raided by a retreating army would be catastrophic,” Sir Bors advised.  “This village is going to be hit far harder when Mordred’s army is defeated since usually only the soldiers of the winning army are paid.  The losing side cannot do that so those soldiers who are not killed or captured will return this way to steal whatever they can.  And, more than likely, they will burn what they cannot carry.”

The elders knew what Sir Bors said was true.  “We have lived many years in peace and prosperity under the vassalage to our liege-lord, Dafydd of Lowood Hall,” said Huw.  “But our spirit now is broken and all seems lost.”

Sir Bors watched their faces as he asked, “Can your Manorial Lord provide sufficient protection to the village?”

“No,” Huw replied.  “Our liege-lord, Dafydd is dead and Lowood Hall burns.  The siege lasted until late yesterday.  The Parson is also dead and the church is destroyed.  There is no more help from that quarter.”

“Is there an adjoining liege-lord who will he take Dafydd’s lands and protect you?”

“To the east is Aron of Summerholme Manor who is fair and just but to the north is Sion of Choat Hall who is vain and petty,” answered Gwilym.  If Aron takes the land, we will be safe but if Sion takes the land, as a freeman, I would not wish to stay.  He takes 40% of the produce in rent.  His villagers are starving.”

“So your first priority must be to send word to Aron of Summerholme to see if protection can be secured,” Sir Bors urged the villagers.  Gwilym volunteered to go on horseback and left immediately. 

Sir Bors then set to work to help organise the villagers to sort through what had been left of the village.  Less than an hour later, Gwilym was back with the grave news that Summerholme Manor burns and there were gibbets displaying the gruesome remains of Aron and his family.  He also reported that Sion of Choat Hall had taken Aron’s lands.

Sir Bors pondered for a moment.  Both Dafydd of Lowood Hall and Aron of Summerholme Manor had been allies of King Arthur which was most likely why they had been attacked.  Sion of Choat Hall was not allied with King Arthur.  Sir Bors had known of the man whose vanity was only exceeded by his greed.  Things did not look good for the villagers.  Without the protection of a strong liege-lord, the village was as good as lost. 

Sir Bors spoke frankly.  “If you stay in the village, you are in the line of retreat.  This could be days or weeks away but it will happen.  The retreating soldiers will remember the prosperity of this village and plunder all that is left.  You need to evacuate until the danger is passed and peace restored to this valley or leave forever if they burn the village.  What the retreating army does not take, Sion will.”

“Where can we all go?” asked Huw, not at all sure he wanted to leave his home but nonetheless acknowledging that it was not safe to stay.  Huw’s heart was heavy: his wife was among the dead; his older son had been captured; and his youngest son and two toddler daughters needed his protection.

“I know of a refuge where you can be safe.  I myself grew up there and it is a wonderful place for children.  But I need to seek the counsel of Brother Berian before I pursue this discussion further.  You need to sort out what goods you can carry and what items you can leave behind, buried in a safe place.” 

Sir Bors left them and went in search of Lady Valerie.  He found her at the Apothecary’s alchemy station making a few more batches of elixirs to take on the journey, just in case they were needed.  Ensuring they were indeed alone, Sir Bors said, “Lady Valerie, you and I both know that the villagers are not safe here anymore.”

Lady Valerie acknowledged the truth in his words.  “Yes unfortunately, when the army of Mordred retreats, it will ransack what remains of this pretty village.  Have you suggested to the villagers to take what they can and go to another village.  There will be more villages that have been raided, but if they combine their forces, they may be able to repel an unorganised band of retreating soldiers.”

“Possibly.  But the next manorial village has also been attacked.  It probably has no young men left either and no-one with military skills to prepare the remaining villagers for a battle.  So combining the villages may simply double the number of potential deaths and captives.”

“Then they must leave the village.  The first sentry we met, Aeron son of Cai, seemed a fine young man.  When he wakes, he will understand that he has been captured.  As an apprenticed squire, he knows some military strategy.  He will know he is now part of the ‘spoils of war’ and that his life is indebted to his capturers.  He understands horses.  His father is a farrier so he probably learned enough from watching and helping his father to fashion a harness so our horses could pull those two largest carts.  The remaining villagers could take refuge in Avalon until this war is over.”

“You do realise that if we lend the villagers the horses, we would have no option but to proceed to Merlin’s tower on foot and may not get to the magic tower in time.”

Lady Valerie touched the ring and while the pain was less intense than previously, it was still agonizing.  “Merlin lives still, but is very weak.  I wish to continue on to the magic tower.”

“That is as I presumed you would feel,” replied Sir Bors.  “But do the horses go with us or stay to help the villagers?  For without one of us to accompany them, the villagers do not know how to get to Avalon.  But the horses do and can lead the villagers to safety.  They are your horses, so you must decide.”

Lady Valerie looked reflective and Sir Bors asked again.  “My Lady Valerie, you need to ask yourself, does the need of the one outweigh the needs of the many?”
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 9 - Fight or Flight
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 04:56:57 AM »
Your set dressing is quite detailed and very appropriate.  I did like the Trekkie reference.   ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 10 - Exodus
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2013, 06:17:33 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 10 – Exodus

“No, it cannot.  The needs of the many are greater than my desire to go to Merlin who we now know is imprisoned by his own volition.  The villagers must take the horses.  But I have a broom and I can go on without you.  Perhaps you should indenture Aeron, son of Cai as your squire and together the two of you can lead the villagers to safety.”

“That is a clever idea but I have already pledged myself to see to your safety.  I cannot do this if you are in one place and I in another.  But I will indenture young Aeron as a squire.  Can you awaken him?”

“Yes of course.  I can make that elixir.  Where is he being held?” 

“Right here in the Apothecary’s house, upstairs in the bathroom.  It is secure.  I will be back shortly.”  Lady Valerie made the elixir and was ready when Sir Bors returned.  Lady Valerie handed Sir Bors the elixir and followed him up the stairs.  There was a long narrow landing with some doors.  Sir Bors walked to the door at the end.  Aeron was asleep on the floor.  Sir Bors threw the elixir on the floor near his sleeping form.  Almost immediately Aeron clambered to his feet yawning and anxious.”

“Wha...  My Lord Abbot, I beg your pardon, I am confused.  I do not understand how or why I am here.”

“The village has been retaken and the other soldiers have been killed or turned over to King Arthur’s army.  I have asked that you be spared.”

Immediately Aeron fell to his knees and bowed his head.  “I thank you my Lord Abbot.”

“Aeron, son of Cai, your kindness to Brother Berian and I shows that you are a good person.  If you still desire to be a squire, I have the authority to apprentice you as squire to Sir Elyan the White, who is in need of a new squire.”

“A squire to a Knight of the Round Table?  Oh my Lord Abbot, yes, I should like that very much.”

“Very well, kneel and take the pledge of allegiance to King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.”  Sir Bors recited the pledge and Aeron spoke the correct responses.  Sir Bors finished by giving him a ring from his pocket.  “This ring is the symbol of Sir Bors, King of Gaunnes.  As squire to Sir Bors’ son, Sir Elyan the White, you are now an indentured servant of the House of Gaunnes.  Sir Bors is the patron of my abbey and as Abbot to the House of Gaunnes, I bid you welcome and I set the following tasks for you.”  The young man listened intently as Sir Bors outlined all that he needed Aeron to accomplish.

“This I can do my Lord Abbot.  I will begin immediately.”

“You must first change into the correct tunic for we do not wish you to spread fear among the remaining villagers in those clothes.  Here is your new tunic.  It carries the symbol of Camelot and the Knights of the Round Table in the colours of the House of Gaunnes.  Wear it and the ring with pride and courage and long may you live and prosper.”

Sir Bors and Lady Valerie left Aeron in the bathroom to change and went downstairs.  “That was very generous of you to give him your tunic.  Now you are stuck being Abbot Owen until you return to Camelot. 

“Not so, Lady Valerie, a Knight has more than one tunic.”

“Why did you deceive him by telling him we had killed his fellow comrades?”

“I deceived Aeron to limit his choices.  If he had expressed revenge for their deaths, then he was not the man I thought he was and I would have locked him up again so King Arthur’s army can take him.  Will you excuse me Lady Valerie, I have a letter to write to my son to explain my actions.”

“Certainly, I too have a letter I must write to Morgan le Fay.”  At the completion of her long letter, Lady Valerie sealed it for delivery and went in search of someone to deliver her letter.  Sir Bors gave his letter to Aeron to give to his son. 

Lady Valerie found Huw and Gwilym with the wagons which had been loaded, the horses impatiently waiting in their stocks.  The horses’ hooves and the wheels of the wagons had been swaddled in hides to deaden the sound.  The axles of the wagons had been greased liberally with lard so they would creak less.

Lady Valerie realised that she could not speak.  Silently she handed Gwilym her letter who bowed his head in acknowledgment.  “I understand you have made a vow of silence.  But I cannot read Brother Berian.  Do I give your missive to someone at our destination?”  Lady Valerie nodded.  “This I will do.” he responded

Lady Valerie paused briefly to farewell her horse, Mistral, petting her as she whispered words of encouragement so no one but the mare could hear her voice.  Sir Bors and Lady Valerie maintained their disguises with the villagers to the end, so Sir Bors as Abbot Owen, gave them a short pragmatic prayer for a speedy and safe journey. 

Then without further ado, Gwilym and Ianto took the reins of the horses and Aeron lifted up one of the laden handcarts.  Sir Bors and Lady Valerie watched the villagers and Aeron as they walked off as quietly as they could into the blackness of the moonless night.

Lady Valerie followed Sir Bors as they turned and headed back to the Apothecary’s house, “Are there any other prisoners in the Apothecary’s house?”

“None, they are lockup up elsewhere.”

“Where are we to sleep for what is left of the night?”

“I thought we could sleep here at the Apothecary’s house.  It is the only house with two bedrooms,” Sir Bors said.  “Aeron has fitted new locks for the doors and you will be safe if any of the sleeping soldiers wake and escape.  But do not leave the house for I will set booby traps to wake us if there are intruders.”

“Thank you.  I will just quickly bathe and sleep soundly till sunrise,” said Lady Valerie, relieved that the long day was finally over.

“Take the room upstairs adjacent to the bathroom and I will take the one closest to the stairs.  Good night Lady Valerie, pleasant dreams.”

“Good night Sir Bors, sleep well” replied Lady Valerie as he turned and went outside.

Valerie went upstairs to her room.  Then decided she would bathe first.  After hauling enough water upstairs to fill the tub to a depth she was satisfied with, Lady Valerie soon found she had a problem.  Back in her bedroom, she struggled with it for a quite a while before admitting defeat.  When she heard Sir Bors return upstairs she opened her bedroom door to go to him, then changed her mind. 

She heard him go to the bathroom and splash about in the tub then tip the dirty water out the window.  She fumed but still she paced up and down inside her room.

“Go to sleep my Lady or you will be too tired to walk far tomorrow.” Sir Bors called from the adjacent bedroom.

That did it!  She wrenched open her door, padded barefoot to his room and knocked loudly upon his door before entering.  “Sir Bors I need your help.”

Sir Bors jumped out of bed and averted his startled eyes.  “My Lady Valerie you are not properly dressed!”

“I am not properly undressed either.  I cannot bear to spent the night strapped into this tight corset!  Please undo these wretched laces.” 

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 10 - Exodus
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2013, 10:48:24 AM »
I knew that Valerie would come to the right conclusion. She has a merciful heart.

This is just a lovely story. It truly reads like a novel and I find myself loving the characters more and more. Aeron seems like a good man and I hope that all will be well for him when he and the villagers reach Avalon.

Quite an interesting ending. Oh the perils of being a lady in disguise. ;)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 11 - The Tower
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 07:11:59 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 11 - The Tower

Lady Valerie turned around and Sir Bors fumbled tentatively with the laces eliciting unexpected shivers along her spine. 

“Hold still and stop fidgeting!”  Sir Bors admonished as he plucked inexpertly at the laces triggering even more tingles.  “No… I give up.  Those tiny knots have pulled too tight and are impossible to undo with my large fingers.”

“Well get a knife and cut the laces,” Lady Valerie said exasperated.

“But that will ruin your garment!”

“Unless we add a lady’s maid to our entourage, I am not wearing that awful robe one more day.  I will wear the nun’s garb or my own dress and we will deal with any issues that may ensue.”

Sir Bors muttered under his breath as he went to his pack and returned with his knife.  With one swift movement he cut the laces.  The garment fell apart instantly, causing Lady Valerie to hastily clutch it to herself.  “That is a very sharp knife!” she exclaimed to cover her embarrassment.

“Now what use is a blunt knife to me?” he chided as he expertly returned his knife to its sheath.  “I must thank you for drawing a bath for me.  That was unexpected and most enjoyable.  You should try to sleep, for a long journey awaits us in the morning.  Goodnight. ” Sir Bors said as he turned to go to his bed without so much as a backward glance.

Nonplussed, Lady Valerie quickly left his room.  She washed using the pitcher and bowl in her room then dressed for bed.  But sleep eluded her.  She thought about the events of the day and wondered at the actions of Sir Bors.  His behaviour puzzled her greatly.  He sometimes behaved rather surly but at other times, he was gentle, kind and considerate.  He had, undoubtedly saved young Aeron from being swept unwillingly along a dark path and probably saved his life.  She thought of Sir Bors again wearing the tight cook’s clothes and how she hadn’t appreciated that while he was the father of a grown son, he was still a fine looking man.  She felt again the tingles his touch aroused and scoffed at herself reining in her wild imaginings. 

Eventually she slept but was startled awake when Sir Bors knocked on her door and called, “Breakfast is ready, we leave in ten minutes!”

Lady Valerie hastily scrambled into the nun’s outfit that her maid Bronwyn had obtained for her.  Doing her best to tuck away her unruly hair, Lady Valerie ran breathlessly down the stairs and stopped immediately on the bottom step.

“That will never do!” Sir Bors said brusquely.

“Why?  What is wrong? The small looking glass in my room makes it difficult to see.” Lady Valerie said confused at the tone of his voice.

“My Lady……….No nun I have ever seen has looked so… um… ah …hmm...  Perhaps you had better wear your own clothes.  Eat first and then change.”

Lady Valerie sat at the table and ate a silent breakfast with him.  She did not understand the cause of his outburst but several furtive glances through her lashes at his set face told her he was intractable in this.  Well she did prefer her own garments anyway.  While Sir Bors packed up, Valerie went upstairs and changed into her own gown. 

She braided her hair as she came down the stairs again.  Sir Bors had also changed from the Abbot’s robe.  He was wearing some of the villager’s clothes.  He was impatient to leave.  “Stop fiddling with your hair.  You are wasting time.  Aeron has made adjustments to the leather straps on our saddlebags.  We should wear them over our shoulders.  He calls it a backpack.”  Lady Valerie threw a flask of elixir at him.  He immediately felt something in his hand and saw it was an apple.  “You changed me into a Wizard!  Why?” Sir Bors exclaimed angrily.

“Now you can ride a broom.  We shall both get to the tower quickly.  When we get there, I can cure you.”

“I have never ridden a broom.  I do not have time to learn.  Change me back!”

“No.  It is just like riding a horse at full gallop.  Hang on and hope for the best.”

“You do know that riding a broom means we have to follow the road.  We will be sitting ducks for any sentry with a longbow and good aim.”

“Then I shall go first and if I see any, I will give him an Icy Blast.  Now you are the one wasting time.  Let us go!” said Lady Valerie as she lifted her plait so she could put her backpack on.

Sir Bors slung his backpack over his shoulders and mounted the broom and it immediately flew off after Lady Valerie. 

They rode without saying anything and met no interference of any kind.  Lady Valerie was alert and listening to every movement as they passed through open fields and thick forest, looking back every so often to see how Sir Bors was faring on his first broom ride.  After a few hours of riding, Sir Bors pointed ahead to the tower he could see emerging in the distance.  Lady Valerie stopped and set down her broom.  Sir Bors stopped and gingerly hopped off his. 

“That is not the right tower,” Lady Valerie said.  She felt the ring and said anxiously, “Where is the next tower?”

“It is east of here.  I shall lead.”  Sir Bors got out his broom and again they set off riding in tandem.  It was much quicker to the next tower but again, it wasn’t the right tower, nor the next one. 

After the fourth wrong tower Lady Valerie felt the ring again.  It had no power.  Lady Valerie sat down beside the road and cried.

Sir Bors looked questioningly at her and she mumbled through the tears of anguish which coursed down her cheeks, “Merlin has gone.  We are too late.”  Drying her eyes, she asked, “Where is the next tower?”

“Why continue if he has gone?”

“I want to take his tombstone to Avalon or Camelot.  If his ghost appears, I can speak with him to find out what he truly wishes.”

Finally they located the right tower.  They found Merlin’s tombstone and both respectfully mourned for an old and revered friend. 

Lady Valerie turned to weep on Sir Bors’ shoulder.  He gently held her as huge sobs racked her slender body.  Sir Bors didn’t quite understand why he felt oddly pleased that she chose to find comfort from him.  Nor did he understand why he felt so content holding her when solemnity would have seemed more appropriate.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 11 - The Tower
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »
Oh no...they were too late! Poor Merlin...

Although he is gone, whatever force that imprisoned him is still at large and remains a serious danger. I do hope that Sir Bors and Lady Valerie do not let their collective guard down.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 12 - The Last Quest
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2013, 05:39:34 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 12 - The Last Quest

Sir Bors held Lady Valerie until her sobs abated.  Drawing a deep breath, she raised her head and look up into his eyes, then suddenly sprung her body away from his; shocked at the console she gained from his strength and presence.  Bereft of the warmth of her body nestled into his, Sir Bors became aware that it was indeed chilly and they needed to find a place to sleep as the night was fast approaching.

He built a makeshift fireplace as Lady Valerie placed flowers around Merlin’s tombstone.  In the firelight, Sir Bors jumped back as Merlin’s ghost appeared before them and sat on a log as if to warm hands that would now never again feel the chill of the cold night air.

“Do not be afraid, Sir Bors.  I have no more magic that can startle you,” said the ghost of the most powerful magician the world had ever seen.

“I am not afraid of you Merlin but I fear that without your excellent counsel, this war with Mordred will be hard for King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.”

Lady Valerie came over to Merlin’s ghost and hugged him.  “I am sorry that I did not get here in time to save you.  I have much that I need to speak to you about.  But for now I am only grateful that you have come to see us.”

“My dear Lady Valerie, I did not wish to be saved.  Please take my tombstone to Avalon where I may linger forever with the smell of apple blossoms.  Do not try to reanimate me for that is not my wish.  And as for my counsel, what do you need?”

“I would like your counsel on many things but mostly on my everlasting youth.  It is not a thing I desire. I see the people I love grow old and die while I cannot. I will now never have true love’s kiss to allow me to grow old like other people.  What am I to do with the rest of eternity alive when my true love has already gone to his grave?” 

“There are many that would view eternal youth as a most desired state.”

“They are probably people who desire power or wealth above all else or they wish for youth to be with the one they love.  I have no need for power or wealth.  I desire nothing more than to be loved and cherished by the man whom I loved and esteemed above all others.  I desire that most and to be surrounded by our children, of course.  What use is the power of my magic when it cannot grant me this one wish?”

“My dear, there will come a time when our magic is replaced by another magic that can perform wonders so amazing, we have not even dreamed of them.  Our magic will be thought of as no more than a court jester’s contrivance, a means to fascinate and amuse.  It will still be useful but not as powerful as it is now.”

“Can this new magic bring back Sir Galahad?”

“Ah... the age old question.  Each person has their time and their place.  Why do you want to bring him back?” asked Merlin.

“So I can have true love’s kiss and grow old with my true love by my side.  So I can marry him and have lots of children and to see them grow in his likeness... to be normal.”

“But you can marry and have children anytime.  I am sure there are acceptable men in this country who would be pleased to have such a beautiful wife.  Would they not Sir Bors?”

“You are asking the wrong man, Merlin.” Sir Bors replied gruffly.   “I have no need for a wife.  But yes, Lady Valerie is indeed beautiful.  Some men desire nothing more than a beautiful woman with a large dowry for a wife.”

“This is ridiculous,” said Lady Valerie heatedly, “You Merlin, prophesised that I would not ever grow old without my true love’s kiss.  I do not wish simply to be wed but to be wed to my true love and Sir Galahad was my one true love.  How can this new magic you speak of bring him back?”

“Very well my dear Lady Valerie, what items do you have of his to bring Sir Galahad back?  Merlin asked.

“I have no tombstone as you know,” replied Lady Valerie.  “I have his scarf and a pair of his gauntlets given to me by Sir Lancelot.  Oh... and I also have in my locket close to my heart, a lock of his hair.  Is this enough for the new magic to bring him back?”

“It could be.  Did you cut a lock of hair from his head?” Merlin asked.

“No.  A few strands of his hair were pulled from his head as he took off his helmet after the jousting tournament last Yule festival.  It must have hurt a lot because the hairs were pulled out by the roots.  I offered to kiss his head to make it better.  He laughed and gave me the hair instead.  I kept those strands of hair.”

“Actually, the hair roots are exactly what you need.”

“That is good news indeed,” Lady Valerie replied.  “When and how do we learn this new magic?”

“Ahhhh... that is the rub, for it is many years in the future and time has a way of healing all wounds including your broken heart.”

“That I do not believe,” scoffed Lady Valerie.  “Tell me when this new magic will be available and I will wait for it!”

Merlin’s ghost paused and looked into the night sky.  “There will come a time when all of England is ruled by one queen, the second in her name.  Across the pond, a strong armed man will be carried to the moon in the belly of an eagle and many people around this world will watch him do so from a box in their own houses.  You will be able to speak to friends and kinfolk many thousands of leagues distance using a box smaller than a tarot card.  All this is wondrous and part of the new magic.  But the new magic you need to bring back Sir Galahad can be learned when the magicians of the future can make a ewe give birth to herself.”

“Without meaning to be offensive Merlin,” derided Sir Bors.  “That prophecy sounds like absolute nonsense.”

“Patience Sir Bors.  For all things that I have said will come to pass.”

“When will this new magic happen?” asked Sir Bors.  “Will the Knights of the Round Table be part of this new magic?”

Merlin turned to Sir Bors.  “This new magic is many many years hence.  If the Knights of the Round Table are a part of this new magic, it will be only at your behest.”

“Then can you answer me this?” interrupted Lady Valerie.  “Will Morgan le Fay live to see this new magic for she is a fairy and will live many years more?”

“Again it is best not to give you all the answers you seek.  You need to decide if it is your wish to wait the many years to bring Sir Galahad back.”

“Of course I will.  How could I not?  He is my one true love and without him, I would live forever, whether I wished it or not.  When he comes back, will he remember me?” asked Lady Valerie.

“He will not.  He will return as a newborn babe.” Merlin replied then turned to Sir Bors. 

“Now Sir Bors, you need to decide if you will be there for the newborn Galahad to teach him the ways of the Knights of the Round Table and the Pentecostal Oath.  The knowledge and skills you will pass on will be greatly needed, for in this future time I speak of, the selfless chivalry of knights will be almost totally absent from society and courtly manners will be sorely missed.”

“Are there no knights left in the future?”

“There are many knights although few have ever been in battle.”

“Are there no wars?”

“There are many wars.  Even wars which were thought to end all wars.  But war remains the one constant throughout history.”

“Then how can there be knights who have never been in battle?  Why choose to become a knight if not to go into battle?”

“All this you will see for yourself if you choose to train Galahad to again become the knight he was.”

“Of course I would like to train Galahad to become the knight we all know and love.  But I am soon to be an elder.  I cannot live the many many years hence that you speak of.”

“That, my friend, is not really a problem.  Sleep now.  I will take first watch.”

“With all due respect, Merlin, as a ghost, how can you stop an enemy killing us in our sleep?”

“I am a ghost and a wizard.  I can scare the living daylights out of him or I can simply wake you.  There are two bed rolls over near the tower door.  Bring them here, unroll them and you can sleep without fear of catching a chill.”  Sir Bors did as bid and he and Lady Valerie each climbed into a soft downy bedroll and instantly fell into a deep sleep.

Neither Sir Bors nor Lady Valerie saw the tall thin man in the strange clothes approach Merlin’s ghost and sit by his side at the campfire.  “So you think they’ll buy that load of old cobblers.”

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 03:18:31 AM »
“There will come a time when all of England is ruled by one queen, the second in her name.  Across the pond, a strong armed man will be carried to the moon in the belly of an eagle and many people around this world will watch him do so from a box in their own houses.  You will be able to speak to friends and kinfolk many thousands of leagues distance using a box smaller than a tarot card.  All this is wondrous and part of the new magic.  But the new magic you need to bring back Sir Galahad can be learned when the magicians of the future can make a ewe give birth to herself.”

That's an interesting prophecy.  The English queen is Queen Elizabeth II.  I believe the 'strong armed man' to be Neil Armstrong aboard the lunar module 'Eagle' (or command module, I don't remember which, but each could equally apply) watched by TV's which did look like boxes in those days; the cell phones and finally, I presume you mean the cloning of the sheep called Dolly by using DNA.

Given Sir Bors and Lady Valerie are stuck in the 6th century and DNA was discovered in that late 20th century, that's a really long wait... unless the new guy in the last picture is a certain Time Lord beloved of a lot of people on this forum?

I do like this new twist.  ;D

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:53 AM »
Wow, what a fascinating twist! My mind is reeling with possibilities here, and a theory as to how this might go forward. I can't wait to see where this goes next!

Offline ilovethesims

• Townie
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:08 AM »
What does 'true l'ove' mean? Is it the person we choose or is it chosen for us by fate? I think Lady Valerie and Sir Bors are developing a liking for each other. Maybe this last quest is needed for Lady Valerie to know what the meaning of true love for her is. Would it be Sir Galahad or Sir Bors?

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2013, 06:52:10 AM »
I do like this new twist.  ;D

Thank you.  I aim to please.  ;D

Wow, what a fascinating twist! My mind is reeling with possibilities here, and a theory as to how this might go forward. I can't wait to see where this goes next!

Did Banana Bender tip you off or did you figure it out without his help?

Would it be Sir Galahad or Sir Bors?

Only time will tell.   ;)

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2013, 07:07:55 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 13 – Le Morte d’Arthur

“Your terminology, my friend, leaves much to be desired,” said Merlin’s ghost, “Yes certainly they will ‘buy it’ because they want to.  Did you arrange the letters?”

Merlin’s friend chided him jovially, “What?  Has your famed foresight let you down again?”

“My famed foresight is nothing more than you and your time machine.  You know the whole history of the world and can come and go as you please to see it play out for your edification or amusement.”  Merlin noticed his friend look at his watch.  “I can see you want to go somewhere else, so what particular calamity excites you now?”

“Le Morte d’Arthur.”

“I presume you do not mean that book you have, but the actual event itself?”  Merlin’s friend nodded.  “I knew it must have been something more devastating than my death.”

“The final battle will be fought on the plains of Camlann and I predict that both Mordred and Arthur are not long for this mortal coil.”

“That is not much of a prediction when we already know the outcome.  I read it in that book of yours.”

“What can I say in my defence?  I didn’t know you would be able to interpret 12th century English.  Anyway, Earth’s history is compulsive, albeit uncomfortable, viewing.  But more to the point, here history is always written by the victors so all objective historical accuracy is lost.  In this case there will be no victors, so the accounts written centuries later are pure speculation.”

“Ahhh yes, you have previously stated this.  So you have come to witness the death of King Arthur.  How much time does he have left: hours, days or weeks?”

“Tomorrow most probably, but perhaps the day after at best.”

“Then I need to get Lady Valerie back to Avalon so Excalibur can be returned to its rightful place.  I presume Bedivere is still alive at this point to play out his fifteen minutes of fame as your book states?”

“So far so good.”

“Then so be it.  I must awaken them, so please, dear friend, do your disappearing act until they have gone.”  Merlin’s friend obliged and waved goodbye. 

But the sound of the departing time machine woke Sir Bors who immediately leapt out of his bed roll barely alert but alarmed.  “Where is the enemy?” Sir Bors whispered to Merlin’s ghost.

“Fear not, for your greatest enemy now is time.  You and Lady Valerie must return to Avalon at once.  Instructions from King Arthur await your return at Avalon.  I will see you there.  Goodbye for now Sir Bors and do not forget my tombstone.”  Merlin’s ghost faded as the first tentative rays of sunlight signalled the dawning of the day.  Sir Bors woke Lady Valerie and was relieved to see that she slept decently attired.

“We must return to Avalon with haste.”  Sir Bors said, “Merlin has instructed us to take his tombstone there.  As much as I would like you to cure me from being a witch, I must remain one so we can return to Avalon promptly.  Then you must cure me, so I can retrieve my own horse and join the battle.”  Lady Valerie changed her clothes and after eating a quick breakfast of conjured apples, they mounted their brooms and left the magic tower and the Valley of the Dragons. 

As they rode their brooms home, Lady Valerie speculated about the invention of this new magic and looked forward to the rebirth of Galahad.  She hoped Sir Bors would allow her some participation in the training of the young Galahad.  Soon Lady Valerie began to worry about the battle Sir Bors planned to enter.  What if he were not to survive the battle?  Who would train the young Galahad?  Of course he would survive she chided herself.  Sir Bors was a courageous and battle hardened knight but even so, as he himself was not hesitant to point out, he was no longer a young man. 

Lady Valerie became upset at the mere thought of his possible death.  Death was a likely consequence of battle.  She knew this.  She accepted this long ago and had prayed for many souls of young knights too soon in their grave.  If Sir Bors died and was unable to train Galahad, there were still many capable knights who could.  But the mere idea of Sir Bors dying in battle deeply distressed her.  Lady Valerie tried valiantly to put those painful thoughts out of her head, but once entrenched, they would not let go and the problem gnawed at her for the remainder of the journey home.

Sir Bors too was troubled by thoughts during their journey to Avalon.  He was never going to get used to broom riding but Lady Valerie was a bigger irritation.  She was also charming, mercurial and confusing.  She aroused a profound protective feeling in him – a feeling that was above and beyond his duty to his Pentecostal Oath to King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.  He thought that if Sir Galahad had borne deeper feelings for the fair Lady Valerie, he could definitely understand why.  Perhaps she could have been a suitable wife for his son, Sir Elyan.  That very thought triggered doubts and more confusion in his mind.  Enough of such confusion Sir Bors chided himself.  Better to focus the mind on the battle ahead and reviewed his tried and true strategies to keep his feelings from being ambushed by unsuitable thoughts.

So it was a tired, worried and troubled Lady Valerie and a determined Sir Bors who returned to Avalon after many hours riding a skinny broom handle.  Morgan le Fay greeted them both with delight while Bronwyn fussed over Lady Valerie and promised her a long luxurious bath.  “Oh Bronwyn,” Lady Valerie said.  “That is sweet music to my ears.” 

Meanwhile, Sir Bors had a quick wash and changed into his knight’s tunic.  He then went to the stable to see his horse and found Alun cleaning the horse’s hooves. 

Sir Bors was glad to see his horse so well cared for and thanked Alun for his care and attention.  Alun acknowledged the thanks and gave Sir Bors a letter that had arrived for him earlier that day.  Sir Bors hastily read the letter and was astounded by its contents.  He asked Alun to verify the authenticity of courier of such an important letter.  Alun confirmed that the letter did indeed originate from Camelot and came via King Arthur’s own special courier.  Sir Bors pocketed his letter and walked along the lake shore deep in thought.

Morgan le Fay was attending to the placement of Merlin’s tombstone.   

She looked up as Sir Bors approached.  “Sir Bors you seem to have a problem.  I can see your brow is deeply furrowed.  Perhaps discussion will help clear your mind?”

“Thank you my Lady.  King Arthur has asked me personally to see to the continued security of his sister, Lady Valerie, in her quest to return Sir Galahad.  I am not to join the battle but to protect her with my very life if necessary.”

“And why should such a request from your King trouble you so greatly?” asked Morgan le Fay.

“There is a difficult war to be won and one extra skilled knight can make a difference.  The Lady Valerie has no need of protection here in the sanctuary of Avalon.  In any event, Lady Valerie is more than capable of taking care of herself.  She is very spirited and lacks nothing in fortitude or courage.  I am more needed in the battle where I should stand beside my kinfolk and defend my King.”

“Perhaps the King believes that Lady Valerie’s security is more important than the outcome of the battle.  Lady Valerie has told me about your conversation with Merlin’s ghost and the commitment to a new quest to bring back Sir Galahad as a babe.  King Pelles, who rides into battle beside King Arthur has remarkable foresight.  Perhaps King Pelles has told Arthur of her quest and sees the need for someone of courage and expertise as a knight to aid her.  Your king honours you greatly with such an important quest.  After all, there are many who could train the young Galahad in the ways of a Knight of the Round Table.  Perhaps, you should view this as an honour for helping Sir Galahad accomplish his quest for the Holy Grail.”

“But I am least suited to guarding Lady Valerie.  She troubles me greatly in ways I do not understand and cannot describe.  I will gladly train the new babe in the ways of knighthood but that will be some years hence and I am almost an elder.  If he cannot be conceived for many many years, I do not understand how I can still be alive to train him.”

“I too have received instructions in a letter from Arthur.  I am to prepare you both as much as I can for this quest but not to partake of it.  I have potions and elixirs that can grant you almost unlimited youth.  Age is not a problem.  King Arthur has sanctioned the use of whatever elixirs and potions I see fit to help you on this quest.  Would you prefer to be a young adult or slightly older?”

“Umm... older, I think.”

“Very well.  I will discuss with the Lady Valerie what potions and elixirs you may need.”  With those words Morgan le Fay left Sir Bors alone with his thoughts.

Sir Bors pondered his future.  He had always presumed that he would die valiantly in battle.  He had not looked forward to the slow decay of old age.  However it appeared that fate had other plans for him.  He too needed to make preparations for this most unusual quest.  He needed to write to his King, his son and his cousin, Lancelot.  Sir Bors finally had a quest of his own.  He needed to focus on the details and stop worrying about his feelings.

As he gazed over the lake to compose in his mind the things he needed to do and say, he witnessed a most wondrous sight.  The sword Excalibur suddenly appeared out on the waters.  A hand clasped around its hilt gently raised the sword so it glinted momentarily in the sun.  Then hand and sword slowly sank beneath the waters.  A swirling mist enveloped the waters.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline ve1ocity

• !I believe in Simverse!
  • Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 13 - Le Morte d'Arthur
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
That chapter was simply charming and chilling at the same time... Why for heavens sake, doesn't Merlin try to rescuce Arthur?

You've been giving hints of time travel on the way, but this, I never expected.

Lady Valerie and Sir Bors : Very beautifully written conflict of emotions.

The sword in the lake... that was a beautiful end for the chapter! How did you manage the screenshot?
Read my newest vampire saga! HIATUS
Mission Unnamed

Will Aphrodite ever find True Love?  HIATUS
Yes, its the Greek Gods! Read their antics!
The Greek Gods : An Immortal Dynasty

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2013, 03:28:05 AM »
Wonderful story. I also wonder how you managed to get that screenshot!

Offline kaylas

• Amateur Food Blogger and Gamer Girl!
  • Townie
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
I love old stories such as Arthur! You are doing a fantastic job! The sword in the water  :o  How did you do that????
Traits: Natural Cook, Animal Lover, Computer Whiz, Bookworm, Friendly, Ambitious (From University Degree: Science and Medicine)

anything