Author Topic: The Lady of the Lake: Epilogue (Completed)  (Read 61756 times)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 18 - Enchanted?
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 18 – Enchanted?

Once back in the sanctuary of the cottage, Sir Bors and Lady Valerie closed the windows and secured the doors.  They then bathed in turn – first Lady Valerie while Sir Bors lit the fireplace and stove to warm the little cottage, then Sir Bors while Lady Valerie cooked a meal. 

Happy to be back in his own clothes and sitting down to a decent meal, Sir Bors asked, “So now, can you tell me what that was all about?  How did I end up half naked in the middle of the forest?”

“When I realised that you had disappeared, I went in search of you and found a trail of flowers.  Only two beings that I know of leave flower trails; plant elves like the child Daisy and green fairies, who can be particularly aggressive in certain situations.  I followed the flower trail and it led to the green fairy’s nest where I found you.  I am curious; do you know how the green fairy was able to abduct you?”

“I do not know.  I was chopping wood.  I became hungry so I conjured an apple to eat.  It did not taste normal but that is the last thing I remember until you woke me in that maze.”

“I should have warned you.  If you fail to conjure an apple correctly, you conjure a poisoned apple that will put you to sleep if you eat it.”

“So how did I get from this cottage into the forest?”

“She would probably have used an elixir or potion to wake you and then enchanted you with a song so you would follow her into the forest.”

“So why would a fairy abduct me?”

“Not just any fairy - a green fairy and a breeder.  She needed to procure a mate.”  Lady Valerie picked up their plates and washed them in the modern roman sink.

“What!” Sir Bors exclaimed.

“This is an enchanted forest.  You already know the imbalance of males and females in enchanted lands.  The green fairy had the markings and crystals of a breeder so she was looking for a mate.”  Lady Valerie replied with a strange edge to her voice and couldn’t look at him.  Sir Bors thought she was acting most peculiarly, causing him to wonder if she was not saying something crucial. 

“Um... eh... did she succeed?”

“In capturing a man, yes – in getting pregnant, no, for her forehead crystals were still white.  She was gathering ingredients to make a procreation elixir, so she obviously thought you could sire quality progeny.  Given what I know of your son, her confidence was justified.”

Sir Bors had always assumed green fairies to be a myth so he did not understand about markings or crystals.  “I... eh... had the strangest... of dreams.”  Sir Bors muttered looking exceptionally ill at ease as he thought about his strange dream.  He was certain it had not been a fairy whom he had held in a passionate embrace.  But his dream had seemed so real.  Every kiss, every touch… had he merely dreamt that or had it actually happened, but with the wrong woman in his arms?  “So...are you certain... that I... eh... that she... did not...?” 

Lady Valerie noted his unease and lapse into silence and tried to reassure him.  “I think that it did not happen at all.  The procreation elixir is only effective before conception and the dreams you spoke of may have simply been the result of the songs of enchantment.  The songs are designed to make you more amenable to romantic advances.  If you had already succumbed, she would not need to still be singing them when I happened upon her.”

“I hope that you are right.  But tell me, Lady Valerie, why did you go to such trouble to rescue me when you have made it very clear you neither wanted nor needed my protection?”

A red flush spread rapidly across Lady Valerie’s cheeks and neck before she self-consciously responded.  “While my feelings about your protection remain as before, you are a good man; and…. and…. I did not stop to think initially - I just acted – and... and I felt you did not deserve to be treated in a way that would force you to break your vow of celibacy.”

Sir Bors continued.  “My Lady, that vow was voided when the Round Table was broken into pieces.  You should know this already.”

“I did not,” Lady Valerie said hesitantly.  “I really believed you would not wish to be used like that again.  She would keep you for future use if she was happy with your progeny and you were not too much trouble to control.  And despite how clever you are, I believed she would turn you into a wooden statue before you were able to escape.”

“So you came to rescue me from two fates worse than death?”

“Yes”

“Then I doubly thank you for rescuing me.  But you must learn to think things through.  Spontaneity could get you killed.  You must focus on actions that best achieve the quest.  Events will happen than can impede the course you have set, but you need to assess what circumstances are beyond your control and what events you can change to fit your purpose.  Dashing recklessly into danger to retrieve a companion is foolhardy.  If you had been captured too, the quest would have failed.” Sir Bors said rationally and calmly.

“But if I lost you, who would train Galahad to be a knight?” retorted Lady Valerie astonished that she was being scolded for rescuing him!

“I have thought much of what Merlin said.  I believe that knights evolve into something different than we know currently.  You may recall that before King Arthur created the Knights of the Round Table, knights were little more than trained ruffians kept by a nobleman to protect or expand his lands.  Only with King Arthur and the Pentecostal Oath did knights evolve into men of chivalry and manners.  But as Merlin told us, these knights of the future will rarely be in battle, so I believe Merlin does not wish me to train Galahad in battle techniques which will probably become outdated but rather in chivalry and manners worthy of a Knight of the Round Table.”

“I do not follow your logic.  A man worthy of being a Knight of the Round Table must also be skilled in battle techniques.”

“Battle techniques change over time.  We now have swords and armour when once all a soldier had was a spear.  We now have longbows and crossbows when once all an archer had were arrows.  No, my point is that it is how a boy is raised that will determine if he is suitable to be trained as a Knight of the Round Table.  It is the mental fortitude and physical dexterity, tempered with kindness and a generous nature that is more important in the early development of a Knight of the Round Table, and for that part you would not need me.  You almost singlehandedly raised three boys to be men who became powerful knights.  You could easily hire a substitute to teach Galahad the future battle techniques he will need.  In this quest I am expendable, while you are not.  You should never again place the whole quest in danger of failure to rescue an unessential part.”

“But I did not want you turned into a statue for you are neither malleable nor agreeable and you would make her angry.”  Lady Valerie said defensively.

“Perhaps you need to think about why I make you angry for it is not all women that are so affected?”

“Nonsense!  I know you have a reputation as a curmudgeon and a misogynist and those titles were not awarded by me!”

“It is true that I do not suffer fools gladly.  Similarly I have no patience for some of the vapid women of the court who seek little more from a man than empty compliments to pamper their vanity or flirt outrageously to test a knight’s commitment to his oath.  But there are many women whom I esteem greatly.  Morgan le Fay for her stoicism and wise guidance; Guinevere for her intelligence and optimism even though her affair with Sir Lancelot may have been the means that brought about the demise of Camelot, I can still respect her for her ingenuity.  I even esteem you, my Lady for you are clever and forthright yet compassionate albeit headstrong and now, it seems, reckless.”

“You esteem me?” inquired an astounded Lady Valerie.  “You told your son that I would drive a weak man to strong drink!”  That does not sound like a compliment.”

“Since you would distrust any compliments from me I choose not to needlessly flatter you.”

“I believe there is a saying that you would catch more flies with honey than vinegar,”

“Should I ever need to catch flies, I will keep that in mind.”

“I think it actually means that flattering remarks can elicit more amiable relations.”

“You have no need for sycophancy!  You know yourself to be a woman courageous enough to go into danger to rescue her companion and resourceful enough to devise a plan to save a village of strangers.  You know you have a generous heart and put others’ needs before your own.  You already have my admiration.  What purpose would my compliments serve?”

“Perhaps for me to think less ill of you which may help to keep dealings between us more agreeable since this is going to be a long quest!” retorted Lady Valerie who was confused by his words.  Did he not just admire her courage when only a few minutes ago he scolded her for going into danger!  Lady Valerie didn’t know what to think.  But he admitted he admired her!  Oh my, she thought, as butterflies danced in her stomach.

“My lady, you may thrive on thinking ill of me but I have no need for such contrivances to secure your good opinion of me.  It matters not to this quest how poorly or highly you esteem me.  What matters is how well we work together to fulfil the quest.”

“I do not really think ill of you,” admitted a contrite Lady Valerie.

“Then perhaps it is better that you should,” said Sir Bors, quietly.

“Why?”

“Perhaps because I can live with your disapproval.  It stops a man from fostering delusions that he could ever secure your love.” muttered Sir Bors.  “But if you esteem me a tenth, nay a hundredth of how much I esteem you, it would kindle the hope that you may feel affection for me too.

“Sir Bors!  This is not you talking.  You have been enchanted by those songs and the effect has not yet worn off.”

“It is true I am enchanted: but by you alone and no other,” said Sir Bors.  “Merlin is right, you are very beautiful.”

“Sir Bors please, do not say such things.  You are most definitely enchanted.” 

Taking her hand in his Sir Bors whispered “Do not say what things?  Do not tell you how beautiful you are or how magnificent and feisty you are?  I think not.  You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”*

*  Quote from Austen, J., (1813), Pride and Prejudice, London: T Egerton.

Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
That was an interesting insight into both of their psyches. Enchantment or no...that last bit was really sweet. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hallucination

• Occult
  • Resident Legacy Addict
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2013, 08:32:04 PM »
I recognized the Pride and Prejudice quote! I'm so proud of myself. But it was a bit too cheesy for my taste in P&P; here it was sweet.
I'm not pedantic! I just believe in precision of language.

Green Witch Legacy

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »
Oh wow, this is a FANTASTIC story.  Brilliantly done!

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 19 - True Love
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2013, 03:12:25 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 19 – True Love

Lady Valerie listened with astonishment as Sir Bors confessed his love for her and was even more shocked that she felt no compulsion to give him an icy blast to bring him to his senses.  Unlike other suitors, Sir Bors was not coercive in his manner towards her, instead choosing simply and gently to hold her hand.  She was both bewildered and curiously energized, her senses on high alert.

“Sir Bors please.  You are clearly not yourself and if you pursue this, I fear you will regret it, as it will make our completing this quest together so much more difficult.”

“I have never felt more sound of mind.  But I would regret things far more had I not declared my feelings.  My Lady... may I kiss you?”

“N...n... no,” came her hesitant response as tingles flooded her bloodstream overriding her mind’s feeble attempt to tamp down her chaotic thoughts.

“Are you sure?”  Sir Bors responded as he let go of her hand and gently cupped her head with his hands, looking deeply into her eyes.  In that moment Lady Valerie knew she could have stepped away, but curiously felt no desire to do so.  Her arms almost reached up to hold him before she stopped herself.

“N... n... no.” said Lady Valerie, somewhat transfixed by his gaze and uncertain of herself and her feelings.  She remembered how safe and treasured she felt when he carried her in his arms.  And now, she felt bemused.  She didn’t want this… or did she?  If he had just grabbed hold of her and tried to kiss her, she could find justification for outrage at his brutish behaviour.  But he was leaving her to make the choices.

“No... you are not sure... or no... do not kiss me?”

Lady Valerie felt increasingly unsure of what she wanted.  He was the one enchanted, yet she seemed incapable of resisting him.  “I do not know.”

Sir Bors leaned in and touched his lips to hers, softly and tentatively.  He had nothing to lose.  He knew she professed love for another but at least he would always have the memory of this kiss.  If she rejected him, he could just beg forgiveness and blame the enchantment.  But to Sir Bors’ delight, Lady Valerie did not resist him or terminate the kiss.  Emboldened by her response, he gathered her body closer to his and kissed her with increasing passion. 

After her initial shock at finding pleasure in his kiss, Lady Valerie began to return his kiss with equal passion.  Increasingly her arms crept up around him until she held him firmly to her. 

Their kiss was everything Sir Bors had ever hoped a kiss would be.  His dreams had failed to reveal the unqualified ecstasy of having the woman he loved return his kiss with such passion.  Sir Lancelot had told him that Guinevere’s kisses robbed him of all sense.  Finally Sir Bors understood why his cousin risked everything for his affair with their queen, for Sir Bors never wanted this kiss to end.

If she could have read his thoughts Lady Valerie would agree.  To her, his kiss was like her first thrilling experience of the power of magic... exhilarating and potent.  She could feel his heart beat wildly against her chest.  She exalted in the heat of his body against her own.  Every inch of her body was alive and effervescent.  Tingles of bliss started up her spine increasing in intensity until... “Nooooo!” cried Lady Valerie against his lips, prompting Sir Bors to immediately release her.  But she wasn’t denouncing his kiss but the strangeness that was enveloping her. 

Sir Bors stood in wonder as sparkles of light danced around her body; and within the next instant she stood before him an adult woman.

“I do not understand what just happened.”  Lady Valerie whimpered.

“Fear not,” spoke the disembodied voice of Merlin as he materialised in the middle of the table.  “I said you would never grow older until you had been kissed by your true love and now you have.”

“But I thought Sir Galahad was my one true love,” lamented Lady Valerie uncertainly.

“Everybody loved Sir Galahad,” replied Merlin’s ghost.  “It is easy to love someone so perfect.  But your affection, deep though it had been, was not really love, but adulation.  I encouraged you to explore your regard for Sir Galahad in the hope that it may deepen into something more meaningful.  But he passed before it could, so it could only ever remain one-sided.  True love requires reciprocity.  Two people have to feel love for true love to develop.  But your professed love of Sir Galahad blinded you to the possibility of finding another love.”

]

Merlin looked meaningfully at Lady Valerie and then Sir Bors as he continued.  “But true love, that meaningful and abiding devotion and regard for one another, is born of a deep understanding of that person and acceptance of their flaws and valuing them, not simply in spite of those flaws, but often because of them.  Flaws make us all human.  Some of us are made up almost entirely of flaws, myself included, but most have their flaws balanced by love, humour, optimism, hope, and good intentions.”

Lady Valerie sat down at the table unsure of everything.  Sir Bors asked, “My Lady, are you not well?”

“I am well.  I think I just need some time to accept all this.” Sir Bors sat down next to Valerie to give her a shoulder to lean on if she needed it.  Merlin too sat down at the table.

“Merlin, then is it not so that a person’s true love is preordained?” asked Sir Bors.

“No.  There is not one ideal person predestined to be your one and only love and soul mate.  Love has limitless possibilities.  Think of your brother, your cousin, your son and your king.  You loved them all, albeit in different ways.  None of them was perfect, but so great was your love for each, you would have sacrificed yourself if the need arose.  You know yourself to be capable of great and abiding love.”

“So in the same way that all people are capable of loving more than one person, each person has infinite possibilities for falling in love if only they will open their minds and hearts to the possibilities.  Many people cling to the idea that there will only ever be one true love for them: those who have loved and lost and are too frightened to search again; those that have never found love because they are too selective and choose to believe they simply have not yet met their soul mate; and, of course, those who have formed true love and cannot believe it was not fate.”

“You, Sir Bors, all those years ago, were so focused on being a great Knight and adherence to your vow of celibacy that you couldn’t see that Claire of Stranggore, the mother of your son, was deeply in love with you.  If you had allowed yourself to know her, you would have found someone you could have companionably lived and worked with to develop a profound and enduring love.  But you wouldn’t open your mind to the possibilities.  So you blamed her for tricking you into breaking your vow and drove her from you.  But Clair thought no differently than you did just moments ago.  She found a way to have you for one night and used it.”

“But I did not seduce Lady Valerie, only kiss her.”

“Are you saying that if you had access to an enchantment that would have brought her to your bed chamber, you would not have used it to have one night with the woman you love?”

Sir Bors looked at Lady Valerie and replied, “No, I would not have used it.  If the woman I love were to come to my bed chamber, then it would be because that is what she wanted above all else.”

“Then you are truly a better man than most of us,” replied Merlin.  “And you, my dear child.  You were unwittingly enchanted by your mother.  She loved your father, Uther Pendragon who believed himself in love with his wife, even though he kept several mistresses and courtesans, your mother being his favourite for a time.  Your mother wanted you to find true love while you were still a maiden so you could have a long happy marriage – unlike herself.  So fervently did she wish that for you, that her wish became an enchantment.  This was why neither Morgan le Fay nor I could break that enchantment.  It was made by a stronger love.”

“Wait!  My mother was a courtesan!” gasped an incredulous Lady Valerie.

“Yes.  But that is of no matter.  You are still the daughter of a King.  I had hoped that Sir Galahad could be your true love, and I encouraged you to think that way but it was not to be.  Even meddling magicians get overruled by higher authorities.  So, not done with my machinations for you, I looked around for another man whose disposition and talents would most complement yours.  That man is Sir Bors.  I then put you two together and hoped that propinquity would work its magic.  It did.  Sir Bors is at that time in his life where the lure and the glory of battle have lost their edge.  When the last hurdle, his vow of celibacy was voided, his mind opened to possibilities of love.  It took time but he finally realised how he felt.”

“But you my dear, while remaining so focused on your quest, would not allow your mind to recognise what your heart already knew.  Thankfully, Sir Bors also has some initiative.  With his kiss, your mind went blank and you listened to your heart and consequently, you aged.  You have your wish, the enchantment on you is ended.  You can now marry the man you love and grow old with him.”

“So you planned all this, just to get us together?” asked a sceptical Sir Bors.

“Most – but not all of it - yes.  But it could have gone either way.  You are both so stubborn but you have so much to give each other.  Your rough edges will be softened by her gentleness and vivacity and your wisdom and knowledge of the real world will greatly improve her understanding of people.  But be assured the feelings that you two have been developing are by no means fully formed.”

“There is such potential for a great love and lasting happiness in both of you if you work at it.  Once formed, love is neither permanent nor stagnant – even true love.  It requires effort on both your parts to keep it strong and make it last.  Be honest with yourselves about what your needs are, learn how they change over time, be flexible and make adjustments.  You two could have a long and happy life together if you want it.”

“I should like that very much,” Sir Bors said, “but what happens now to our quest to bring back Sir Galahad?”

“The quest was twofold and served two purposes.  Firstly, your quest Sir Bors was to protect Lady Valerie and thereby enable the two of you to spend time together and learn enough about each other to form an attachment and hopefully fall in love.  Secondly, Lady’s Valerie’s quest was to bring back Galahad as a babe.  It never was to bring him back so he could marry Lady Valerie.  There is a higher purpose in bringing Galahad back.  I do not know myself how all this will evolve but I can assure you, he is needed in the world of the future where you two will go.

“So how do we get there?” asked Lady Valerie.

“I am glad you asked,” said Merlin rising from the table.  “There’s someone here I’d like you to meet.”

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »
That...was absolutely beautiful. You had me in tears with Merlin's poignant words. Bravo. Absolutely...bravo.  :)

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2013, 10:54:28 AM »
That...was absolutely beautiful. You had me in tears with Merlin's poignant words. Bravo. Absolutely...bravo.  :)

Wholeheartedly agree with Raia.  That was just... so lovely.  I'm speechless.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »

Wholeheartedly agree with Raia.  That was just... so lovely.  I'm speechless.

Wow.  Thanks so much for your comments.  They give me the incentive to keep going even though this story is such a pleasure to write, the screenshots are not so cooperative.  Thanks again for reading.  I am grateful that it touches you so much.   ;D

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
I just read through all of this, and I most certainly do not regret it!

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2013, 04:19:12 PM »
I just read through all of this, and I most certainly do not regret it!

Thank you Squirt.  I means a lot to me that you've taken the time to read it.  :D

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »
If I'm going to procrastinate, might as well be productive with it! ;D If that makes sense.

Anna33

« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2013, 06:05:54 PM »
Wow. I agree with all that has been said already that was beautiful. This story deserves a million smiley faces. I wonder who Merlin has for them to meet?  ;D

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 20 - Merlin's Friend
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 20 – Merlin's Friend

“You can come in now Doctor,” called Merlin.  Into the room entered a thin man wearing the most peculiar clothes.

“Lady Valerie, Sir Bors this is The Doctor.  Doctor this is Sir Bors the Younger, former King of Gaunnes and Lady Valerie, daughter of Uther Pendragon.”

“You are a healer?” asked Sir Bors as he shook the newcomers’ hand.

“Among other things,” replied the enigmatic Doctor.

Merlin smiled at his friend.  “Don’t let his self effacing comment fool you.  He is a genius from another world and has saved this world countless times before.  Sit down, sit down, I am tired.”  When everyone sat down again, Merlin continued.  “The Doctor has a device which will take you anywhere in the universe, but for now, we’ll stay within the confines of this Earth.” 

“Are we not staying here in this pretty cottage?” asked Lady Valerie.

“No,” replied Merlin.  “This was one of my cottages and it is too close to a green fairy’s territory as you have discovered.”

“But this cottage is so neat and tidy, have not others before us been living here in safety?” inquired Lady Valerie.

“Well the Lady Nivianna had been hiding out here for some time but she seems to have gone missing,” Merlin said.

“Oh Merlin, I know that you loved her, so what I have to tell you will cause you pain,” said a downcast Lady Valerie.  “I saw her in the green fairy’s garden.  She has been turned into a wooden statue.”

“And you wouldn’t know anything about this, would you?” asked Merlin of his friend.

The Doctor shrugged and replied, “I merely said to Lady Nivianna that there was an even more powerful magic to be found in the forest and cautioned her not venture in there.  She immured you in a magic tower and is now herself encased in wood.  It seems to me that justice has been served.”

Merlin sighed and thought quietly for a moment.  “In her quest to become the most powerful witch in all the land, it seems the Lady Nivianna was undone by her own greed.  We will talk no more of this matter.”

Merlin turned to Lady Valerie.  “This cottage is too dangerous for either of you.  In any case, you need to be in the future, not here.  The Doctor and I are in agreement that you will feel more comfortable in a place which has changed little from this time.  Consequently, we are taking you to a town called Dragon Valley.  It is Celtic in origin so you will see many similarities between this Valley of the Dragons and that one which will give you a chance to acclimate.  You are to learn the new magic called Science and acquire the Science Research Station which will enable you to bring back Galahad when your skill is high enough.”

“Since you are both adults, Morgan le Fay has prepared some potions that will make both of you young again to give you the time needed to complete this quest.  Galahad will be reborn as a babe and you two will raise him as your son.  You will call him Galeas which is his own name in the Celtic tongue.  It would be prudent not to tell him of the truth of his existence.  The Doctor and I have devised a list here of all the skills you will need to teach him.  When he matures, you will send him to an adult school called University and then both of your parts in the quest will be fulfilled.”

“After Galeas is reborn, you two may have as many children as you deem fit.  Indeed it is most advantageous for Galeas that he not be an only child.  Either of you may choose to learn any skill you desire.  One or both of you will need to take on a career or profession, for you will need coin to pay for many services.  There are no lords of the manor, reeves or tithing system where you are going.”

“Are there still farms and villages?” asked Lady Valerie.

“There are always farms and villages.”

“Then I should like to be a farmer, for I am very good with plants and Sir Bors is excellent with horses.”

The Doctor replied, “Growing vegetables can be lucrative but it would be very time consuming to harvest your crop.  If you procure a green dragon to help you with the harvest, you will have more time to work on your own skills.  Breeding horses will also leave little free time to work on the skills you will need.  But there are many careers equally suited to your talents.  So you can try one or more to find something you enjoy.  Find a career where you can most easily balance work, learning your skills and being a couple.  Remember it is very important to spend time just being together.”

“This Science skill that we need to master, how do we learn it?” asked Sir Bors particularly liking the idea of spending his free time with Lady Valerie.

Merlin replied, “You can buy the books which will teach you everything you need to know or you can experiment on the Science Research Station and gain experience as you try more and more experiments.”

Lady Valerie turned to the Doctor.  “Doctor, Merlin has told me that the hair roots from Sir Galahad were all that we need to bring him back.  Can I also use hair roots in that machine to bring another back too?”

“After you bring back Galahad, you are free to do what you wish with the skill but first, I will turn both sets of hair roots into samples that can be used in the Science Research Station.  I know that sounds nonsense to you now, but in time you will learn the terminology.”

“Will we ever return home?” asked Sir Bors of Merlin.

“That is entirely at your discretion,” Merlin replied.  “There is a skill called invention on that list.  If you master it, you can build a time machine of your own.  If you use it to travel to the past, you may return here but the program in those things is not as sophisticated as the Doctor’s machine.  Also its destinations and times are totally random.  You have little chance of returning to England at this time or place.  But once acclimated into the 20th century, I doubt the 6th century will hold much lure for you except curiosity.”

“You will find the people of the future strange at first.  It would be wise not to tell anybody of your origins.  Being English is fine but not that you're from another time.  Sir Bors you will not be allowed to carry your sword or knife, which is a great pity for there is still much evil in the world.  I don’t mean simple vagabonds, ruffians and villains, but greed and crime are not so clearly defined in the future.

“You will not have titles in this new land.  People of the future use family names and you will simply be Mr and Mrs duGaunnes, but first you two need to get married.”

The Doctor said, “Wait Merlin, Sir Bors needs to ask Lady Valerie for her hand in marriage first, I believe it is something modern women are especially keen on remembering every detail.”

“You’re an expert on marriage Doctor?” asked a surprised Merlin.

“Things don't always happen to me in quite the right order and it gets a bit confusing at times.  I'm rubbish at weddings, especially my own.*  But I have it on good authority that women love proposals and how the man asks is important to them.”

“As Lady Valerie’s godfather and oldest friend, I give Sir Bors leave to ask for her hand in marriage.” Merlin smiled as he took Lady Valerie’s hand and kissed it before placing her hand in Sir Bors.

“My Lady, would you care to join me outside,” Sir Bors asked as he took her hand.  A bemused Lady Valerie nodded and together they walked out into the early morning sunshine leaving Merlin and the Doctor in the tiny kitchen.  They both saw the strange blue box in the garden and wondered about it.  This must be the Doctor's machine.  Sir Bors hoped the journey would be quick because it would be very squishy with them all in that small box.  But then any time pressed up close to Lady Valerie would be delightful.

“I realise that all this is a bit overwhelming” Sir Bors said in his soft gentle voice.  “But your future is not all planned out before you as much as those two would have you believe.  I would like you to take as much time as you need to think about what it is you want from your life.  Your future should be in your hands.  You should not be coerced into travelling to the future and into a marriage because it suits their plans.”

“Do you not want to marry me?” inquired a quizzical Lady Valerie.

“I do... very much.”

“Then ask me that first.  I do not know about modern women but I know that I want this moment to be etched in my memory.”

Sir Bors smiled as he took her hand and gently kissed it.  “My Lady Valerie, I love you more deeply than I have ever loved; and yet I want to learn how it is possible to love you even more.  Would you please consent to be my wife, my partner and companion in all that my life still holds, and hopefully, to one day be the mother of my children should that be your desire too?”

“Sir Bors, I am not sure that I know the true nature of love, but I do know that what I feel for you is more profound than I have ever felt for any other.  I will gladly consent to be your wife.  I want to be your life’s partner and companion.  And I greatly want to share with you the joy of bearing and raising our children together.  But I have one condition...”

Sir Bors’ heart momentarily skipped a beat then watched as a radiant smile spread across Lady Valerie’s face.  “I want to be kissed by you each day just as you did this day.”

“I willingly and unequivocally accept your condition.  And as soon as I am able, I will have a ring of your choice made for you.  Until then, please keep my ring as a token of my love, esteem and protection.  It was my father’s ring and it is the most precious thing I have.”

“This ring is all I shall ever need, for I know you will never be parted from it for long.  But it is a bit too big.  Will you please kiss me again for I don’t believe it can get better than this but I am willing to try?”

Sir Bors laughed, this was the decisive woman he so loved so dearly.  He gathered Lady Valerie in his arms and kissed her.  He would move mountains one spadeful at a time to spend the rest of his life this happy.  Whatever their future may hold, so long as they were together, they could make things work.

Paraphrased from Dr Who, Blink (2007) – 10th Episode of the third series (186)

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »
Eeeee!  It's the Doctor!  *does happy dance*  That is just awesome!

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »
Which Doctor is he? ;D
I love this story even more now. This is so exciting!