Author Topic: The Lady of the Lake: Epilogue (Completed)  (Read 61114 times)

Offline ve1ocity

• !I believe in Simverse!
  • Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 1 (May 6)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »
I just like Arthur, and not a purist, so no worries there :)

A sad chapter, beautifully told! I like Guinevere's look. I've always imagined her with long red hair, mostly because Ginny of Harry Potter is named after her. But here she looks so vivacious!

Looking forwards for some more great chapters!
Read my newest vampire saga! HIATUS
Mission Unnamed

Will Aphrodite ever find True Love?  HIATUS
Yes, its the Greek Gods! Read their antics!
The Greek Gods : An Immortal Dynasty

Louise56

Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 1 (May 6)
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
Wonderful update! Poor Valerie. :(

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 2 - How Do You Solve a Problem Like...
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 2 – How Do You Solve a Problem Like...

Sir Lancelot’s renowned stoicism was no match for the heart-wrenching anguish born of the death of his only son, Sir Galahad.  Gone forever was the son that Elaine of Corbenic had tricked him into fathering - the son who had become ten times a better knight than he.  Sir Lancelot’s heart ached with grief for the loss of his only child who had become both his friend and comrade in arms. 

There would never be another knight like Sir Galahad.  Gone too was Sir Perceval and all of the other knights of the holy quest, save Sir Bors the Younger.  There would be no celebrating the end of the greatest quest of the Knights of the Round Table.  There were too few knights and too much grief.

But just what to do with the heartbroken Lady Valerie who sobbed quietly into his shoulder, Sir Lancelot had no idea.  He would rather face a three-headed raging giant than a weeping woman.  And just when he thought Lady Valerie was showing admirable restraint of hysterics, she fainted.  At her maid’s urging, Sir Lancelot lifted Lady Valerie and carried her to her bed chamber. 

Sir Lancelot heeded her maid’s advice to leave without protest.  He didn’t know how to deal with the Lady Valerie anyway.  According to the traditions of the time, Lancelot knew that this bewitched maiden who long ago, had been his rescuer and foster mother, was henceforth to be regarded as his daughter-in-law.  He needed the advice of the one person who knew her well, the Queen.

He found Guinevere in the garden singing softly to herself.  She too looked as if she had been weeping.  He would have gladly comforted his Queen and sometime lover had he not seen her lady-in-waiting close by.  Instead, he said “My Lady, I seek your advice regarding Lady Valerie.”

Guinevere glanced toward her lady-in-waiting and replied.  “Sir Lancelot, I grieve for the loss of your son, Sir Galahad.  He was truly the bravest of the Knights of the Round Table.  This court is poorer for his passing.”

“I thank you for your condolences.  It appears I have lost my son but acquired a daughter-in-law.  The Lady Valerie rests but she is stricken with grief,” replied Sir Lancelot.  “I have no idea what to do with her?”

“I see no problem,” replied Guinevere.  “She should stay here at court and take her rightful place as the King’s sister.”

“But my Lady, the maiden is a simple child,” chided Sir Lancelot.

“Not so, Sir Lancelot, the Lady Valerie leads a simple life certainly, but she is no simpleton,” replied the Queen.

“My lady, she leaves the castle unchaperoned to pick wildflowers and catch butterflies...

she runs when a lady would walk...

she enchanted a huntsman to release a deer when his table was starved of venison and then caught him a fish and conjured apples to compensate... 

I hear tell that she plays with the village children and only yesterday was seen talking with the village baker...

These are not the acts of a lady of the court of King Arthur.”

“Then perhaps they should be.”  Guinevere answered angrily.  “She is a kind soul and truly upholds the chivalrous code.  Lady Valerie is friend to all and enemy of none.  Her kindness wins as many hearts in Camelot as King Arthur’s silver tongued diplomacy wins allies for England.

“Perhaps not all hearts, my Lady.  I’ve heard that she gave some would-be-suitors an Icy Blast to cool their ardour.  A true lady would never have been exposed to unseemly advances in such a manner.” Sir Lancelot explained.

“Nor will she be in future,” replied Guinevere.  “The daughter-in-law of the Sir Lancelot would have no need for icy blasts.  Few would-be-suitors would dare importune her with such advances and the rest would fear your wrath.”

“Then perhaps I should marry her off to a nobleman’s son to further the stability of England.” Sir Lancelot said thoughtfully, “After a suitable period of mourning, of course.”

“I believe you know nothing of the workings of a woman’s heart!” Guinevere retorted.

“That much is certain!” replied the frustrated knight.

“I will speak to Lady Valerie and find out what she desires to do.  For now, allow the lady time to grieve.  She waited a long time to give her heart and did not give it lightly.  Be patient and leave this with me.”

“My Lady, I thank you” said Sir Lancelot and seeing the lady-in-waiting had moved closer during their conversation, bowed low and departed.

Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 09:56:36 PM »
Great update. A really interesting story.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 10:34:50 PM »
Guinevere is a wise woman and a force to be reckoned with! I do find it ironic that she accused Lancelot of not knowing the workings of a woman's heart...especially given their relationship in the legends. ;)

And thanks...now I have that song from "Sound of Music" stuck in my head. :P

Offline ve1ocity

• Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 08:10:54 AM »
Superb!

I wonder whom Valerie's new suitor will be...
Mission Unnamed

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 3 - An Uncertain Future
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »
The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 3 – An Uncertain Future

Next morning Lady Valerie rose and dressed in mourning clothes, while Guinevere sent a note asking that Lady Valerie come to see her when she felt able to leave her chambers.  On receiving the Queen’s note, Lady Valerie instructed Bronwyn and Alun to prepare to return to Avalon and went to meet Guinevere who, on inquiry, was to be found in the red library writing in a journal.

“I did not expect to see you quite so soon, my dear sister Valerie,” said Guinevere rising to meet her sister-in-law.  “I don’t think I am eloquent enough to find the words to express how distressed I was to hear of Sir Galahad’s death.  Please accept my heartfelt condolences.”

Lady Valerie responded.  “Thank you.  You sent for me?”

“Yes... to pass on my condolences and to enquire of your plans for the future”

“There is no reason for me to remain in the castle now.”  Lady Valerie replied.  “I have no wish to be reminded constantly of the life I’d hoped for with Sir Galahad, which now... can never be.”

“There are more than memories of Sir Galahad in Camelot.  You are the King’s sister.  I enjoy your company and you have a place here as a Lady of the Court,” said Guinevere softly.

“I know what my brother thinks of me.  Arthur does not need an impulsive sister who causes him embarrassment.  If I stay here, Arthur or Sir Lancelot, will consider it their duty to marry me off to some nobleman but I will never marry against my heart.”

“Will you please sit with me a moment dear sister?” asked Guinevere.  Valerie sat on a chair under the windows and Guinevere sat beside her.  “So will you be returning to Avalon?”

“Bronwyn and Alun will return to Avalon.  I shall not,” replied Lady Valerie.

“Oh!  Where will you go?” concern creasing Guinevere’s brow.

“I shall go to Caerleon Abbey,” Lady Valerie answered her gaze drifting out the window.

“I do not know of it,” said Guinevere clearly puzzled.

“It is a small abbey not far from Tintagel where I was born.”

“That is very pretty country.  Will you go there for prayers and mediation?” asked Guinevere.

“No... to live.  Perhaps I can help in the garden or be of use in rewriting ancient texts.” Lady Valerie replied.  “Maybe I could even teach the village children, for I enjoy the curiosity of children and now, I will never have children of my own.”

“Do you mean to become a nun?” asked an incredulous Guinevere.  “But the curse, my dear Valerie, for despite your handsome dowry, without true love’s kiss, you could live for many centuries in poverty and penance in an abbey.  If you desire to be of use, perhaps we could consider starting a school in Camelot for the village children.  There are many texts in this library suitable to transcribe for teaching.”

“I thank you for wanting to make a place for me here, but I do not wish to stay.”

“But should not a convent be a place for the spiritual and committed, not the bereaved?” 

“Sir Lancelot’s mother, Elaine of Benoic and his aunt Evaine both went to a convent after the deaths of their husbands.  Caerleon Abbey is pretty and has a meagre garden which I can help make more bountiful.” 

“The queens you mentioned were both widows whose lands had been taken by Claudas.  Surely a convent is no place for a high born maiden such as you?”

“You are misinformed, my Queen.  A convent is the only place for me if I do not wish to be wed.  The convents of England abound with the unwanted unwed daughters of the high born, not the villagers.  The poorest labourer upon the land has no need to get rid of his daughter, if he could not find her a husband; for she is useful working in the fields among his sons, or spinning and working with his wife.  The tradesman or artisan in the village is similarly blessed.  He could apprentice his unwed daughter to a trade.  But a King or knight or even a county gentleman cannot apprentice his unmarried daughters to a dressmaker or a weaver in the village.  For the high born women there is only marriage or a convent.”

“Then you have truly opened my eyes, for I had always assumed a convent was a place for the truly devout but I see the logic behind your words.  My concern is that your energy and vivacity would be unsuited and stifled by such an institution.  May I suggest, as your sister-in-law and Queen, that you go to Avalon and stay with Morgan le Fay.  Then return to Camelot for the next yuletide, and we will discuss your future when memories of Camelot are not so painful.”

“As you bid, my Queen, so it shall be.”

“One more thing...  Arthur has already asked Sir Bors the Younger to accompany you wherever you go for protection.”

“I do not need such protection at Avalon,” responded Lady Valerie.

“You might be able to freeze unwanted suitors away with an Icy Blast but it will not halt the march of Mordred’s army which are more than a thousand strong and moving ever closer toward our lands.”

“Then I shall be perfectly safe at Avalon; and Sir Bors will be more of use here than with me!”  Lady Valerie countered.  “We shall leave as soon as I have said my goodbyes to Arthur and Sir Lancelot.”  Lady Valerie then stood and bowed her head to her sister-in-law and Queen.

Guinevere reached out and gently touched Lady Valerie’s shoulder in reassurance.  “I think that is for the best.  I shall miss your vivacity and especially your spontaneity.” Guinevere said. 

As Guinevere touched Lady Valerie’s shoulder she felt a chill and had a premonition that they would never meet again.  Impulsively Guinevere hugged her sister-in-law.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ve1ocity

• Occult
  • Sims 4!
    • Six at Sunset
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 01:23:34 AM »
Indeed interesting. I feel like Valerie will stay for centuries in the abbey till something miraculous happens? I will miss if I don't see Guinevere again.
Mission Unnamed

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 04:46:52 AM »
What wonderful writing! I am enjoying this very much. Did you do all the building yourself? It's lovely!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »
What wonderful writing! I am enjoying this very much. Did you do all the building yourself? It's lovely!

The internal parts are my builds/decorating - the external shots are various places in Monte Vista (it has the more suitable architecture).  The castle walls are Grimsoul's Bucket of Blood Vampire Lounge.  If only I'd known about Dragon Valley.  Oh well the Dark Ages part of the story will probably be finished by May 30.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Online MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
This is very well-done. I can't wait to see how Lady Valerie fares at Avalon. Chrestien de Troyes would be proud of you!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Louise56

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 11:05:17 AM »
You captured the Medieval atmosphere perfectly. Fantastic writing.

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 4 - The Ring
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 06:22:09 AM »
The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 4 – The Ring

Lady Valerie, Bronwyn and Alun returned to Avalon where life passed quietly and peacefully.  Lady Valerie worked tirelessly in the gardens and orchard and did much of the same things as before, but - as Bronwyn lamented to her husband - there was no joy in the maiden.  Lady Valerie no longer caught pretty butterflies or picked wildflowers for her pleasure.  She didn’t run anywhere.  Nor did she sing or play the harp.

When she fished or caught butterflies, it was only to gather ingredients for elixirs.  Lady Valerie no longer read for pleasure, but spent many hours rewriting some the ancient texts on Avalon.  She also walked every day in the forest, often returning wet through and chilled to the bone.  Bronwyn and Alun worried that their charge and lifelong friend seemed to be actively courting ill health.

Bronwyn spoke to Morgan le Fay, the unofficial queen of Avalon, who advised them to let Lady Valerie grieve in her own way.  But Morgan le Fay did take a keen interest in Lady Valerie, who was after all, the half-sister of her own half-brother.  Although sharing no blood parent in common, as was traditional for the time, Lady Valerie was still considered to be Morgan le Fay’s sister too.

Morgan le Fay sent word to Camelot’s magician, Merlin, to come visit Avalon for the summer as Merlin was the logical choice to lift Lady Valerie’s spirits.  It was Merlin who had smuggled the infant Lady Valerie to Avalon and became her first tutor and friend.  It was Merlin who had confirmed that Lady Valerie’s father was indeed Uther Pendragon, King Arthur’s father.  And it was also Merlin who discovered the curse upon Lady Valerie which neither Merlin’s magic nor Morgan le Fay’s charms could break.

When no reply came from Merlin, Morgan le Fay became concerned.  She knew the magician would not have ignored her request.  If he couldn’t visit he would have sent word.  Morgan le Fay immediately wrote a letter to King Arthur, asking for advice. 

Before her letter could be given to a messenger, Alun brought word to Morgan le Fay that a lone horseman had been seen riding into the narrow valley containing the secret entrance to Avalon.  As only a few people knew of its existence, Morgan le Fay and Alun went to the lookout from where they saw the rider approaching: it was a knight wearing Camelot’s emblem and he rode his horse fast over the treacherous ground.  This was a knight whose horse knew the terrain well. 

Together Morgan le Fay and Alun went to the hidden entrance and waited as the knight rode towards them.  It was Sir Bors the Younger. 

When the knight dismounted from his horse, Alun stepped forward to take the horse to the stables for care and attention.  The poor horse was a lather of sweat showing the ride had been long and fast. 

Sir Bors the Younger approached Morgan le Fay and bowed low, “My lady, King Arthur sends grave news.  Merlin has been missing for more than a week.  King Pelles, who is still a guest at Camelot, believes you may be able to find him with the use of this magic ring.”

“That is one of Merlin’s magic rings.  I know he intended to give it to his new love, Lady Nivianna, the daughter of the King of Bernicia,” replied Morgan le Fay.  Morgan le Fay could not put the small ring on her fingers save the littlest finger.  She received no vibes from the ring.  “It is no use.  My hands are too bony with age, we need younger fingers.”

Morgan le Fay went to see Lady Valerie who she knew could be found in the orchard most afternoons.  “Lady Valerie, we need your assistance,” said Morgan le Fay.  “Please put on this ring and tell me what you see.”

Lady Valerie did as she was bid and immediately felt a burning pain in her hand.  Gasping with the pain, she breathed deeply and closed her eyes.  “I see a dark tower beside a stream and a mill on the other side.  The tower is perhaps a large reeve’s tithe barn or a small keep.  There is someone inside it… someone in pain but I can't make out the details.  I need to use my crystal ball to see more.” 

Morgan le Fay and Sir Bors followed Lady Valerie as she went to her quarters.  As she reached out and touched the crystal ball, pain lanced through her body.  Each breath she took was painful.  Her arms ached with the effort to control the ball.  The mist within the crystal ball became black then red, then white.  Her eyes seared with pain as she peered deeper into the crystal ball.  The more she persisted, the greater the pain gripped her.  Her breathing shallowed and her face lost all colour.  Barely breathing, Lady Valerie cried out, “Oh mercy, it is Merlin!  He has been enchanted and immured in a magic tower.  I can feel that he is near death.”

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 4 - The Ring
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
Whomever is powerful enough to capture Merlin, of all people, must be a frightening force with which to contend. Freeing the wizard will be quite the perilous quest...and if I am right, exactly what Valerie needs to pull herself out of her grief.

(On a side note: Morgan le Fey looks rather familiar... :P)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 5 - No Time for Arguments
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 06:58:36 AM »
The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 5 – No Time for Arguments

While mindful of Lady Valerie’s pain and anguish, Sir Bors knew he must press her for more information urgently if they were to have any chance of saving Merlin.  “My Lady, there are scores of towers in England and mills more still.  But magic towers are rare.  Is this tower near mountains or a forest?  Can you see other buildings nearby?”

Lady Valerie was hesitant to touch the ball again but knew she must do so for Merlin’s sake.  Although braced for it, the pain of touching the ball was almost too much.  “I see the tower, the mill and a small footbridge across the stream.  There are willow trees along the stream.  I do see another building, it could be an inn.  The hills around the area have chalk cliffs.  There is an ancient ruin on one of the higher hills...” her voice trailed off, the pain was too much.

Sir Bors exclaimed, “Ruins on a chalk cliff... yes, I know where this tower could be.  But it is at least fifty leagues hence.  I must leave immediately.  My horse is tired.  Have Alun bring me a fresh horse!  I’ll be back for mine when Merlin is rescued.”

“Sir Bors wait”, Morgan le Fay said, “Haste is not needed for you cannot rescue Merlin from a magic tower.  If Merlin’s magic can’t free him, you alone cannot.”

“Then I will return to Camelot and raise a party of workmen with horses or oxen and take that tower apart brick by brick if we have to!” said Sir Bors heatedly.

“Dear Sir Bors, all the King’s horses and all the king’s men won’t be able to free Merlin.  Your loyalty is unquestioned, but magic towers are no place for mere mortals.  Nor can they be pulled apart so easily.  The workmen can be hurt if they try.”

“But I must try something!” replied Sir Bors, impatient to leave.

“I must go with Sir Bors.” Valerie’s words stopped Sir Bors in his tracks.  “I will know if it is the right tower.  I am not enchanted so perhaps my magic can free him.  Merlin has been like a father to me.  I can feel his pain through that ring.  He is old and his wits may be enfeebled but I must try to help him.  If nothing else, my magic can sustain him until we can find a way to free him.”

“But my dear Valerie”, Morgan le Fay said gently, “even if enfeebled, Merlin’s magic is far greater than yours.  It is not his pain that you are feeling, it is your own.  What I must tell you can only bring you more pain.  Merlin has exceptional foresight and for him to be enchanted and immured, it is of his own wish to be so.  I’ve known for some time that his love for the Lady Nivianna has been unrequited.  I saw her disgust at being the recipient of his affection and even with my limited foresight, I knew of the danger of teaching such a perfidious woman the magic of our forefathers.  No, as much as it grieves me say this, Merlin’s immurement is his choice.  Merlin has clearly chosen to end his life this way.  We must respect his decision.”

“Balderdash!” retorted Sir Bors.  “No man would wish to be imprisoned and die such a torturous death over unrequited love for a woman!”

“There speaks Camelot’s most inflexible misogynist,” snapped Lady Valerie, angry and uncertain.  “Tell me where the magic tower is Sir Bors, so that I may go to Merlin.  Even if it is his own wish to die this way, I would like to say goodbye to him.”

“I do not have time to organise the carriage or the escort for the journey for you!”

“I do not need a carriage or escort, or even a horse, I have my broom.”

“I will not take an unescorted maiden, let alone the King’s sister, so far onto the moors.  It is dangerous.  I hear there are dragons in those parts.

“I am not afraid of dragons.  But I thank you, for now I know where the tower is to be found.  There is only one valley in the kingdom with dragons.”

“Lady Valerie... Sir Bors... this is no time for arguments.  I will see Alun for a fresh horse for Sir Bors.  If you must go, you should travel together for safety.  Lady Valerie, you are the only one who can positively identify the tower and Sir Bors can be your escort.  You two used to be good friends, make up while I go see about a horse and send word to Arthur on what is happening!” declared an annoyed Morgan le Fay as she strode from the chamber.

“I apologise, my Lady Valerie.  I remember the last time I argued with you, you grounded me,” said Sir Bors ruefully.

Lady Valerie smiled, “You were twelve years old.  You were usually such a good boy but a bit hot-headed from time to time.  I do wish to know what happened to turn that sweet natured boy into the curmudgeon who stands before me.  Was it Claire?”

“I do not wish to talk about the daughter of King Brandegoris!  If you wish to join me, that topic is off limits.  Now, I realise that you can identify the tower which will save me riding all over England on some wild goose chase, but I still think it is dangerous.  We must be careful.  Mordred’s army is between Avalon and the tower.  We must cross enemy lines to get there.  You would be a prize catch to Mordred to help bring King Arthur to his knees.

“I know just the disguise for both of us.” said Lady Valerie.

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

anything