Author Topic: The Lady of the Lake: Epilogue (Completed)  (Read 61578 times)

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 5 - No Time for Arguments
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »
Stubborn, the both of them. :P

Offline Tiamet

• Immortal
  • I survived the Great Spooky Day Blizzard of 2012!
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
I just love this story!  And poor Morgan, nobody ever wants to listen...
..."For my schemes are as devious as yours, and my crazy as great..." Erik to Sarah and Jareth
Pika-la-Cynique, GND

I Wanna Be A Disney Princess Base Game Dynasty
Goblin King Dynasty The Backup Has Been Found!
Fellowship of the Dynasty - HOF
The Arlo Bunch Documentary

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
I can't wait to see what disguise she has in mind.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 6 - The Journey Begins
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 07:39:56 AM »
The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 6 – The Journey Begins

“Well I have to admit this is not the disguise I had in mind” Sir Bors said to Morgan le Fay. “While this disguise has many advantages, wearing a long robe while riding a horse is not one of them.  We can ride to the village beyond the river but we will have to go on foot through enemy territory.”

Lady Valerie came over to advise Morgan le Fay that the horses were ready.

“Really!” Sir Bors said on seeing her.  “Is that the best you can do?  You would do better to be dressed as a nun.”

“A nun’s habit exposes too much of my face which you seemed to think was too easily recognisable!” retorted Lady Valerie breathlessly.  Her corset, laced tightly to try to conceal her bosom, caused her great discomfort which did nothing to lighten her mood.

“Granted it would, but I have never seen a monk who looks so effeminate.  If we meet anybody you are the son of a country gentleman.  So you’re going to be called Brother who?”

“How about Brother Berian?”

“Hmm, well it seems Brother Berian is the young son of a country gentleman whose voice has not yet broken, unless you can lower your voice.  Since I am wearing the jewel of an Abbot, I shall be Abbot Owen.”

“If that is your wish Sir Bors” said Lady Valerie lowering her voice to imitate a man.

“Lower.  Make your voice more guttural.”

“If that is your wish Sir Bors” said Lady Valerie lowering her voice still further.

“That would be Abbot Owen.  Now try again.  Make the sound from the very back of your throat.”

“As you wish Abbot Owen,” said Lady Valerie making her voice as low as she could from the back of her throat.

“Hmm... no... that is not going to work.  It appears that Brother Berian has taken a vow of silence.  You should start practising that now.” said Sir Bors turning away to check his horse and missing the flare of heat in Lady Valerie’s cornflower blue eyes.

Morgan le Fay hugged Lady Valerie and asked, “Are you sure about this?  You know Merlin will know how much he means to you.  Sir Bors is right.  This is a dangerous journey you have chosen.  It will be a difficult journey to take, the two of you together.  He is not the loveable boy who grew up here.  Life has changed him.  Sir Bors is to be admired for his courage, not his amiability.”

“I realise that.  Still I must go.  I feel it is the right thing for me at this time.”  Lady Valerie gave Morgan le Fay one more hug before mounting her horse. 

Sir Bors and Lady Valerie rode many leagues in silence.  Near the crest of every hill, Sir Bors dismounted, tethered his horse in the trees and crept forward, carefully observing the landscape for any hint of the enemy.  Lady Valerie gritted her teeth against the desire to talk.  She knew Sir Bors caution was necessary but it added extra time to the journey.  Time they didn’t have. 

At last they came to the final hill before the road forded the river.  A village lay on the far bank but Sir Bors was disturbed, not by what he had seen, but what he didn’t see.  The village looked too serene.  The men who should have been in the fields were not to be seen.  The houses gave off no chimney smoke.  There had been the remains of a large bonfire in the village green which should not be there given there had been no recent feast days on the calendar.

Sir Bors crept back to Lady Valerie and the horses and whispered, “I think the village has fallen to the enemy.  We have no choice but to go east and ford the river elsewhere.”

Just as Sir Bors was about to remount, he turned suddenly and saw the road was now occupied by an armed band of men...
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »
Oh dear...that cannot be a good sign. Quite a suspenseful way to conclude a chapter!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 03:39:59 PM »
Excellent! Dragon Valley is the perfect location for this story, and I love the way you use Grim's robe.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 03:27:34 AM »
Indeed, you did it so well I wasn't even sure if it was Grim's robe or not! I am on the edge of my seat about these armed men!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tiamet

• Immortal
  • I survived the Great Spooky Day Blizzard of 2012!
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 10:30:34 AM »
Enjoying this very much!
..."For my schemes are as devious as yours, and my crazy as great..." Erik to Sarah and Jareth
Pika-la-Cynique, GND

I Wanna Be A Disney Princess Base Game Dynasty
Goblin King Dynasty The Backup Has Been Found!
Fellowship of the Dynasty - HOF
The Arlo Bunch Documentary

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 7 - To the Rescue
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2013, 01:12:16 AM »
The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 7:  To the Rescue

On closer inspection the band of men were armed with pitchforks, hoes and tree branches.  Some were elders but many more were just boys. 

As Sir Bors approached them, they laid down their weapons.  One older man came forward.  A group of boys and an older man came up behind him for reinforcement.  “Please, my Lord, my name is Huw.  I see you wear the jewel of an Abbot and we know that Cleeve Abbey is expecting a new Abbot.  Cleeve Abbey has long been friend to the villages along this road and we are in dire need of assistance.  Are you the new Abbot for the Abbey?”

“No,” replied Sir Bors deciding to stay in character, “Brother Berian and I are travelling to meet with the new Abbot.  What troubles you Huw and may I assist you?”

“Our village was raided five nights ago.  The invaders feasted on our meagre food supplies and stole our livestock.  Some villagers fled into the forest but many of our people were captured by Mordred’s army.  They rounded up the young men and marched them off along the east road.  They hold our women and youngest children captive in the tithe barn.  We are not many and are poorly armed.  Our boys are strong lads but have weakened with hunger.  We watched you approach.  We can see that you are careful.  We know nothing of military strategy but my brother, Gwilym,” Huw pointed to the other older man behind him, “and I believe you do.  Could you help us with a plan to rescue our kinfolk?”

“How many soldiers remain in the village?” asked Sir Bors.

“There are at least a dozen soldiers and a cook.  There were more soldiers but they left with our young men.  They work in shifts except for the cook.  There are two soldiers holed up in the tithe barn watching the captives and two sentries at each end of the village.  The other soldiers sleep lightly in any of the houses or gather at the school house, which as you can see from here, is just a pavilion with no true walls.  Ianto over there,” Huw pointed to the teen standing beside Gwilym “has snuck into the village to bring us this news.”

Sir Bors looked over the thin weedy teen and saw in his eyes the pain of memories that would probably haunt the lad forever.  “Let me talk about this with Brother Berian for a moment.  In the meantime take my saddlebag and distribute the food in it among you.”

Sir Bors walked over to Lady Valerie.  “I cannot leave those women and children captive in that tithe barn.  I need to come up with a plan.”

Lady Valerie looked at Sir Bors and opened her mouth to speak but checked herself.  The villagers might hear her.  Although the villagers looked harmless, the success of any disguise lies in maintaining it in all situations.

“If you have any ideas to help with a plan Brother Berian, I grant you permission to break your vow of silence.  Perhaps you have a potion that can help us.”

Lady Valerie beckoned Sir Bors closer and whispered.  “I have no potions but I do have some ingredients for elixirs with me that we can use to our advantage, but I need access to a cauldron to brew them.  Then you talk to the cook and distract him so I can add the elixir to the cooking pot.  When the soldiers eat their dinner, they will fall asleep and we can retake the village.”

“Excellent plan Brother Berian,” said Sir Bors and Lady Valerie felt foolishly pleased with his praise.  Let us get you ready.”  Sir Bors used his body to shield Lady Valerie from view as he helped her dismount from her horse.  Saddle sore and bone weary, Lady Valerie made an inelegant dismount made worse by the heavy robe.  On wobbly legs, she gathered the mushrooms she needed from her saddlebag clutching her horse for support.  Sir Bors raised an eyebrow of enquiry.  Valerie nodded that she was okay and was grateful for Sir Bors’ consideration.  Maybe the sweet-natured young boy of so many years ago was not gone forever.

“Now we need a plan to get us past the sentries.”

“If we know where they are, as a sorceress, I could give them a bladder curse so that they will break cover to... um... attend to business.”

“That might work but again it might not.  If we’re challenged we will use that plan.  ”

Sir Bors went back to Huw and asked if there was an alchemy cauldron in the village that they could use.  “The Apothecary has been captured and his wares ransacked but I believe his cauldron may still be there,” Huw replied.

“Which is the Apothecary’s house?” asked Sir Bors.

“It is the largest house in the village just beside the pond.  You would not have seen it from your reconnaissance earlier because it is past that large rock near the end of the village.  Unfortunately that house is next to the tithe barn.”

“That might be risky.  Are there any other cauldrons in the village?”

“There are large cooking pots aplenty but no other alchemy cauldrons.  The blacksmith has a large quenching tank that he uses.  Would that be suitable?” said Gwilym who came forward to speak.

Sir Bors looked at Lady Valerie who shook her head.  “The Apothecary’s house might be our only hope.  How close is the tithe barn to his house?”

“Not more than ten paces*,” came Huw’s reply.  “But there is a garden entrance which is on the other side to the house.  That is where he keeps his cauldron, not in the house proper.”

“That is good news.  We have a plan but it only involves Brother Berian and myself for the first part.  How can I quietly signal you to come into the village once it is safe and rescue the women and children?”

“Hmm... perhaps if you light the blacksmith’s fire.  We will be able to see the smoke from here and come to do our part.

“A smoke signal?  Excellent idea.  Please take care of our horses until we return for them.  Show me the places we need to go.”

“Certainly, my Lord.  Gwilym and Ianto can both ride and the boys would be happy to look after your horses.” 

Huw and Sir Bors crept back to the reconnaissance point.  Huw pointed out the places of interest and the route Ianto had used to gain entry to the village.  That route was not appropriate for them as it meant swimming the river.  For Lady Valerie, a wet robe was to be avoided at all costs.

“Our entry plan must be to go in on foot.  Two lone monks will not seem threatening.  We will improvise from there and signal you for your part.  If all goes to plan your women will be rescued this night.  If we are captured, have someone who can ride return our horses.  They know their way home.  Just tell the horse ‘domum’**.  Once there, inform Alun that the two monks were captured.”

* A Pace is an ancient measure approximately 4.854 feet or 1.48 metres.
** Domum is Latin for ‘home’.  All Avalon horses speak Latin.   ::)

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Banana Bender

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2013, 07:45:35 AM »
This is an entertaining story.  Hmm... Huw, Gwilym and Ianto... weren't they the brothers in "How Green Was My Valley" which fits neatly with Dragon Valley's celtic setting? 

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 07:52:16 AM »
This is an entertaining story.  Hmm... Huw, Gwilym and Ianto... weren't they the brothers in "How Green Was My Valley" which fits neatly with Dragon Valley's celtic setting?

Thanks.  Yes they were.  Arthur is based on a Welsh legend and I'm using Welsh names for some of the characters.  ;)

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: The Lady of the Lake: Chapter 8 - Retake the Village
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 08:10:20 AM »
Lady of the Lake:  Chapter 8 – Retaking the Village

“I have a new plan to enter the village.”  Sir Bors said as he fashioned a crutch from a sturdy sapling.  “If this does not work, it is a handy weapon.”   He began to walk using the crutch and an exaggerated limp.  Lady Valerie held his arm as if assisting him.  Together they walked slowly toward the village.  The sentry approached from the bushes.  Sir Bors and Lady Valerie halted and waited for the sentry to speak.

“My Lord Abbot, it appears you are injured”, the sentry said. “Rest here on this log a while if you want.  Can I help you?”  While his tone was sincere, the voice was gruff and his expression uncertain.

Sir Bors, who had not been expecting kindness or consideration, replied calmly, “I thank you for your kind words.  Brother Berian and I are bound for Cleeve Abbey to welcome the new Abbot.  My horse was startled not more than a league from here and threw me.  Brother Berian here, who is an apprentice healer, assures me that no bones are broken but I have injured my hip and can walk no further this day.  My horse has bolted with all our supplies and we have not eaten since breakfast, perhaps you can spare a crust for us?”

“My Lord, I cannot leave my post, but we have a cook who can help you.  I give you leave to go into the village and speak to the cook for some food.  I would send word to Cleeve Abbey for help, but all the horses have been taken.”

Sir Bors reached out and touched the sentry’s arm, “Thank you.  Perhaps you should consider a change of career - soldiering is no match for a good and gentle soul such as yours?”

“Thank you my Lord.  I am Aeron, son of Cai.  My father is a farrier and I am the sixth son.  I was apprenticed to our liege-lord for training as a squire.  But when our liege-lord was required to provide men for an army, I was drafted.  I normally take care of the horses for I am good with animals, but there are no horses here now, so I am made a sentry.”

Sir Bors nodded.  Many young men get drafted into armies when they have no heart or skill for it.  “May you be poor in misfortunes and rich in blessings.”

The young man smiled and Sir Bors and Lady Valerie hobbled over the small footbridge into the village.  The first person they saw was in fact the cook that the sentry had mentioned.

“Who are you and what are you doing here?” he asked belligerently.

“I am Abbot Owen and this is Brother Berian.  We are bound for Cleeve Abbey but I have been injured in a fall.  Your sentry gave us leave to enter the village in search of food and rest.”

“Young Aeron, I bet!” disparaged the cook, “He is soft, that boy.  You two wait here while I get one of the other soldiers!  It is more than my life is worth to feed either of you without their permission.” 

The cook had not walked more than half a dozen steps when... ZAP... Lady Valerie changed him into a toad Sim.  The cook stumbled for a moment and then after realising what had happened to him, fainted dead away.

Sir Bors looked askance at Lady Valerie who simply shrugged.  “You have no idea how much I have wanted to try that.  I have never done that before so I was not sure it would work.”

“Thankfully it did.  I will quickly change into his clothes and move him before he rouses.”

Sir Bors threw the comatose cook over his shoulder and walked off.  Lady Valerie waited near the cooking pot.  She could see the cook had made reckless use of the villager’s meagre food supplies.  Sir Bors came back wearing the cook’s clothes which seemed a little too tight for him.  Out of his knight’s tunic and the monk’s robe, Lady Valerie noticed that Sir Bors cut a fine figure for a man his age.

Unaware of Lady Valerie’s appreciative gaze, Sir Bors said, “I moved the cook into a horse stall.  I did see the Apothecary’s house.  You do not need to go near the tithe barn to get there.  Go back to the first path on the left as we came into the village and go along that path.  When you see a big garden, that is the house you need.”

“Where are the other soldiers?

“Probably sleeping or in the tithe barn with the women and children or...”

“Do not say it!  I will be back as quick as I can.  Evening is falling fast.  They will be looking for a meal soon.  Can you cook?”

“I can cook.  Not fancy stuff but I can feed myself.”

“Then look after the cooking pot and I will be back soon.”

Lady Valerie felt strange walking through the deserted village.  There were no sounds from hens or livestock.  No children’s laughter and no people talking.  An eerie quietness permeated the village.  The path was very tidy and lined with many planted flowers.  Most of the houses were of stone.  It had obviously been a prosperous village.  With Sir Bors instructions, Lady Valerie easily found the Apothecary’s house.  As Huw had said, there was an extension to the house with an entrance from the garden.  The alchemy station was in that small area so Lady Valerie quickly set to work creating the Flask of Potent Sleep elixir and a few other elixirs before returning along the dirt path to Sir Bors.

Lady Valerie added her elixir to the cooking pot while Sir Bors kept watch for any movement from the soldiers. 

After adding the elixir, Lady Valerie went to check on the cook who was not where Sir Bors said he had left him.  When she mixed the Potent Sleep elixir she had made an elixir to cure the toadified cook but he was nowhere to be seen.  He had probably just run away.  Valerie felt terrible about that.  The cook could not be cured without the elixir or a kiss.

As the sun began to set, the soldiers came around for the food and eagerly sat down to the cooked meal. 

Sir Bors hid his face from the soldiers who didn’t look directly at him anyway.  Almost immediately after the meal, they felt very sleepy with some of the men just curling up to sleep almost where they stood.

When Sir Bors was satisfied they were all asleep, he went over to the blacksmith’s house and lit the fire only to find that it was almost smoke free. 

Lady Valerie came to see what the problem was and realised that even with smoke, it would be difficult to see as night was falling fast.  Although it was not the prearranged signal, Sir Bors decided to light the bonfire to signal to the villagers that it was safe.

As he waited, he heard a rustle in the bushes.  He suspected it was the young teen and called out.  “Ianto, tell Huw that it is safe to come in.  It would frighten the women and children less if you let them out of the tithe barn.”  Immediately Ianto sprinted out of his hiding place and ran down the road toward the tithe barn and went straight in and hugged a pretty teenage girl. 

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
3. The Lady of the Lake

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
A brilliant ruse, and best of all no one was harmed (except or maybe the poor toadified cook, who I imagine will have a few mental issues to deal with after the fact :P). Very clever!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »
Excellent story, and your illustrations are gorgeous. I'm really enjoying this!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline ilovethesims

• Townie
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 01:14:34 AM »
I love the settings they are well suited to the timeframe of the story. It must have taken great patience to catch the Sims in the actions which would most propel the story. Guinevere here is truly a queenly figure.

If only Sir Galahad could come back to life...

anything