Author Topic: Plutonium  (Read 18624 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Plutonium
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 03:11:22 AM »
That's not consistent with the licensing documents I've read; the expansion packs generally require the base game to be validly installed, and that consumes the single install allowed for both the expansion pack and the base game.  I don't recall EA allowing multiple installs.

If mtglady is correct and you're talking about borrowing the game disk from someone else, I agree.  But that's not quite what you said in your response with the illegal comment.  Aside from that particular point, what momofmany suggested for you shouldn't be illegal in any way.  If you have legally purchased and registered the vanilla Sims 3 base game, how in the world would you not be allowed to install it on two computers that you also own?  I'm not claiming to be an expert on EA licensing agreements, but I really find it highly unlikely that it's illegal to install a legally purchased Sims 3 game on a second computer in your household. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 08:30:32 AM »
I know that we are really off topic here, but I have to agree with Pam.  I have done that very same thing, with the computer being in the same house though.  My mom wanted to see if she could play the game before buying it and she would play when I was at work.  One time, I had to use a product key from one of my games for her computer, because it would not take her product key and some people say that is illegal, how can it be illegal when we both bought the games, but one key would not work.  Anyway, as long as you have purchased the game, then nothing is illegal about what you do with it.  I am done now, lol. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline malteser60

• Occult
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
Also sorry for taking this off topic but I thought I might answer the question once and for all.

Whenever you buy a computer program you are also purchasing a licence to use said program. For the majority of programs that are purchased the licence only covers the installation of the program on one computer only. So that means you are not allowed to install the program on more than one pc, and that also includes a personal laptop (so you are only allowed to install it on either your desktop or your laptop, not both). For some programs you can buy more than one licence. So, for an example, at my work I do a lot of work on ArcGIS, and the program is installed on my work pc. However we have a limited number of licences installed on my office work server (I believe it's four). So if more than four people are using ArcGIS and I want to use it I can't, even though the program is installed on my pc. Obviously work makes sure that there are enough licences for us all to work on. Another common example is Microsoft Office. Legally you are only allowed to install Office on one pc. So in a household, if there is more than one pc, you have to buy a copy for each pc. This is explicitly stated in Microsoft Office's End User Agreement.

Now for the sims, I had a quick glance through EA's Terms of Service (and I do say quick as I'm supposed to be working  ::)) and it states that you are not allowed to "distribute, publicly perform or display, lease, sell, transmit, transfer, publish, edit, copy, create derivative works from, rent, sub-license, distribute, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise make unauthorized use of Content or Entitlements ". So unfortunately momofmany borrowing the base game from her sister was illegal, doesn't matter that they are sisters, or if they are married, parent/child, etc. I couldn't find anything about how many pc's the game is licenced to be installed on, but then again I couldn't find the End User Agreement (after a very brief search), nor did I have enough time to properly look through EA's ToS.

Sorry, sounds all doom and gloom. However it's not all that bad. Nobody is going to come and tell you off for lending your game to your sister, etc, and most companies expect a person to install their games on more than one pc (i.e. desktop and laptop), and probably EA do have a statement to this effect. It's like when music first become digital on CD, it was illegal to copy your CD onto different devices i.e. you were allowed to play the CD in different devices, but you couldn't hold a copy of the CD on, say, your pc, and your mp3 player, etc. But that was soon determined to be unfeasible and thus the licencing laws were changed.

Hope this clears some things - and sorry for the long post.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »
Okay, everyone — the license/legal stuff stops here. If anyone wants to continue it on the Babble thread, that's fine. Just quote what you want to comment on, copy the quote, and then paste it in a Reply to the Babble thread.

Twilightlover 98

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Thanks Metro for putting us back on topic. When I try to Transfigure metals to get Plutonium, I end up getting a gnome instead. Is that a glitch or is it random?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 10:45:30 PM »
Thanks Metro for putting us back on topic. When I try to Transfigure metals to get Plutonium, I end up getting a gnome instead. Is that a glitch or is it random?

It's probably random.  What metals are you using?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Twilightlover 98

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Silver, Gold, Copper everything! . I used different combinations to try and get Plutonium and I followed the recipe using Carl's guide.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Naga

• Top Secret
  • Immortal
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 07:15:37 AM »
I believe the recipes are different depending on which expansions you have installed, considering each of them add new metals, therefore modifying the transfiguring system.

Offline Jowkoul

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »
I don't know if I'm right or if this is reliable, but when I was playing in Sunset Valley (I'm now in Twinbrook) I was desperately looking for that metal named plutonium. I tried everything! Catacombs, collecting (with and WITHOUT the Collector Helper), fishing and anything that was available until I got World Adventures and Ambitions. BUT the only way I got that odd metal was RUMMAGING! I started rummaging in every rich family's trash can but I had no luck, even with the Goths or Landgraabs. I found the metal while rummaging in a family's house which was not rich at all! They had about 20,000 or less in cash! I was relieved to finally collect it (or steal it  ;) ) but I haven't found any more so far (2 yrs LOL). I can't remember the family's name, sorry  :-\ . Still, I hope you'll have luck finding plutonium and if you can't find it no way, then try the buydebug on cheat and place some rare metal spawners (2 or 3 is fine with me) on your home lot and wait for the desired plutonium or any other rare metal (they are random, really) to spawn! Of course if you are not against cheating  ;D Sorry for the long post  ::)
Just got the 'Death of Michael Jackson' moodlet, applies for 14 days, -200 mood

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »
I hope no one minds me bumping this older thread for this, but I was surprised no one mentioned the one spot in Sunset Valley where I've found plutonium in the past.  Granted, this is still an extremely rare spawn and I'd say 80% of the time the rock here turns out to be palladium instead of plutonium, but I have gotten plutonium in this spot in many games.

If you send your sim to SimHenge, the path they take up the hill has a fence on one side.  On the other side of the fence is a large crater, which you can see pretty easily from edit town view.  Occasionally a rock will spawn in the crater.  This is the spawn point you want.  FYI, there is a second spawn point in the crater more toward the outside that is usually silver or gold, but the one closer to the center that rarely pops up is the one you want to watch.

If you have a collection helper, look there periodically and see if the middle-of-the-crater rock is up.  If it is, you may be lucky and it'll be plutonium.

anything