Author Topic: Adding your own music  (Read 12506 times)

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
Adding your own music
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
I have read on another page that you can add your own music to the folder in the game for music, it talks about "radio stations", my folder is called "custom music" and it doesn't have stations.. there are a few pre loaded songs from the game. Can I add my music there??

Offline MasterSiwel

• Occult
  • Family Man
Re: Adding your own music
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »
I have read on another page that you can add your own music to the folder in the game for music, it talks about "radio stations", my folder is called "custom music" and it doesn't have stations.. there are a few pre loaded songs from the game. Can I add my music there??

There are no stations. Custom music is it's own genre (meaning that it's it's own grouping). If you can't find it ingame click on the radio and search for custom music (which I think you can).

P.S. What they meant by "radio station" is that it has it's own station. So you can play it seperately from the game. Trust me, I've tried it and thought the same thing at first.
"Go home and be a family man!"
-Guile

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Happytime

• Townie
  • "There you have it, there it is." ~Buckaroo Banzai
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »
Hey there sdhoey!  :) Welcome to the Forums!

Can I add my music there??

If you are looking to listen to "your own music" in-game (and share it with your Sims, too, I guess hehe :D), yeah the "Custom Music" folder is the location to put them.

I've not done a lot of testing, but I suspect the game's expecting to see "un-protected" (non-DRM) mp3 files there (it's what I have in there now, I've not tried putting stuff I've bought from iTunes in there, for example, because I know that's DRM-protected).

So put your tunes in that folder, have your Sims tune to the "Custom Music" radio station, in-game, and rock out!

Again, welcome to the boards!

-- Happytime

Offline MasterSiwel

• Occult
  • Family Man
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:08:45 PM »
Hey there sdhoey!  :) Welcome to the Forums!

If you are looking to listen to "your own music" in-game (and share it with your Sims, too, I guess hehe :D), yeah the "Custom Music" folder is the location to put them.

I've not done a lot of testing, but I suspect the game's expecting to see "un-protected" (non-DRM) mp3 files there

Works with any mp3 file. As long as it's an mp3 file it will work. Done some testing myself.
"Go home and be a family man!"
-Guile

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
Thanks ... I did it and OH MY!!! it's nice to hear actual WORDS !!! LOL make my time on here more enjoyable!! Nothing like Tim Mcgraw to get into the sims mood!!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 03:48:05 AM »
I, too, was thrilled when I figured out how to put my own music into the game.  When I buy a stereo for my Sims family, it's really for me to have music to listen to while I play.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 04:56:09 AM »
I kinda like the Sims music...  ;D
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 05:16:40 AM »
I kinda like the Sims music...  ;D

From what little I understand of it, Sims music is real artists and songs translated into Simlish and recorded for the game.  Some people get excited about the artists who get featured in the expansion packs and such.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 05:41:06 AM »
I remember Lily Allen and didn't Katy Perry do one?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »
From what little I understand of it, Sims music is real artists and songs translated into Simlish and recorded for the game.  Some people get excited about the artists who get featured in the expansion packs and such.

Yes it is Pam. LOL My brother-in-law used to know a lot of the old songs on the Sims it was always so funny to hear. I didn't know until he told me of course and he just figured it out on his own. Then recently I heard that some artist will be recording for one of the expansions but I don't remember who or which one or anything. I don't pay much attention to it.

Back on subject though. Adding your own songs is easy but I don't really like it much because you can only listen to it while by the radio. I want to listen to it no matter where I am and I often find that I move around a lot so I don't really hear much of the song. Plus with mine The closer I zoom to the radio the louder it is. And often times I am not zoomed in enough to hear it. But when you upgrade the speakers to house speakers you can hear it better but you can't listen to it while they sleep which I hate. Any one know of a solution to any of that?

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:27:09 AM »
Just wondering.  Do you bring up your own folder of music and drag songs to the music folder in the sims3 folder?  I have tried that before and it didn't work, not sure if I am missing a step or something, but that was in sims2, so will try it again in this game.

I like that new country song they put in the folder, but I like country anyway, so go figure, lol.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »
I copy from iTunes and then paste it in the file for custom music and it works fine for me. I like country also!

Offline NeoFelis

• Occult
  • Must play Sims!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »
I wish it was like Sims 2 and you could put songs in any radio station you want. One channel isn't enough. And yes, some of those Simlish songs are catchy.   :)  We were shown a song by Rise Against when the Ambition ad came out and they implied there'd be other artists in the new EP. I haven't been listening to the channels; I usually leave it on Classical in the main part of the house. In another room, it's on it's usually on French, 'since three of my Randoms (Wishmaster Challenge) have that as their favorite.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Tomorrow's just your future yesterday." Craig Ferguson, Late Late Show theme song.

Offline JaidLynn

• Nooboo
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »
Yes it is Pam. LOL My brother-in-law used to know a lot of the old songs on the Sims it was always so funny to hear. I didn't know until he told me of course and he just figured it out on his own. Then recently I heard that some artist will be recording for one of the expansions but I don't remember who or which one or anything. I don't pay much attention to it.

Back on subject though. Adding your own songs is easy but I don't really like it much because you can only listen to it while by the radio. I want to listen to it no matter where I am and I often find that I move around a lot so I don't really hear much of the song. Plus with mine The closer I zoom to the radio the louder it is. And often times I am not zoomed in enough to hear it. But when you upgrade the speakers to house speakers you can hear it better but you can't listen to it while they sleep which I hate. Any one know of a solution to any of that?

Hey all, I realize that this is a REALLY old thread, but thought I would post my solution to this dilemma anyhow....  I made a custom music folder & then just opened my windows media player, clicked on my favorite playlist, opened file location, alt+a, copy & pasted all of my music into the custom music folder.  Not EXACTLY sure what music in there was a direct copy from my cd's & what had been ripped as an mp3 (didn't always know how to do that, hehe).  Seemed to work just fine, but as it was +4gb, so I don't know what will play & what will not.  However, I would assume that it will play most of what is there, thereby negating the need for more than 1 station, since this method worked for me in that it played the various types of music I had in my media player--Chicago, Ja Rule, Alabama, etc.

Now for my super ultra cool, trumps everything else fix--to the sleeping sim, zoomed out from stereo, etc., irritations where you can't hear the music you so desperately desire to hear...wait for it....wait....I just have my windows media player (where I have about 60% of all my cd's ripped to--after all it was free as it came w/ the computer, so why not use it?) playing, minimized to the taskbar.  I used to do this almost always while playing City Of Heroes {why Lord WHHYY is it gone?!?!  **sobbing uncontrollably**} & it works with this game as well.

Well, I hope that this helps all of you.  I was pleased to find that it worked with my Sims3 game too--I listen this way while I just plain surf the web {it works great with the earbuds to drowned out the horrible sounds of the hub's walking dead in the background}.  While most sims music is actually ok to listen too, after several hours of it repeating, it does get old.

JaidLynn