Author Topic: I've Had It!-Game Running Ridiculously Slow  (Read 77487 times)

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
I've Had It!-Game Running Ridiculously Slow
« on: August 12, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »
Ever since I installed Ambitions, my Sims game started running extremely slowly. Constantly, when trying to move the camera or open the interactions menu, the game would abruptly freeze for a few minutes. My Sims movements and actions are no longer one smoothly connected movement. Instead, they jerkily change positions, as if the sims is just a bunch of moving pictures. When running, my Sims would constantly freeze in mid-run, usually suspended above the air, while life and time go on around them. Constantly, the game would get in such a bad freeze that I would have to force quit the game. I used to love playing The Sims. It used to make me feel happy and entertained. It used to occupy a large chunk of my life. Now I feel nothing but frustration and boredom, up to the fact that I've considered quitting The Sims all together. Please help.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: I've Had It!-Game Running Ridiculously Slow
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
Hi Simstar.

Have you done any cleanup in the game or on your computer?  Sometimes the game gets slow if you've got too many screenshots saved in the game.  Consider moving/copying them to another location on your computer and then deleting everything in the Screenshots folder.  It's also a good idea to do Disk Cleanup and Defrag on your computer regularly.  Lastly, have you done a complete uninstall/reinstall lately?  It's a good idea to do it regularly, as well, and it's often the thing that will fix your problems.  Check this thread for some details.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline John Allen

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »
Sorry you're having such a hard time.  Know what you mean though.  had and have the same problems.  Actually thinking of just uninstalling and reinstalling Vanilla only.

Pam did make some good points though, and it may help.  

One of the main problems I found is that the game makes videocards overheat, which causes the freezes and stuttering.  With that in mind I did the following, and it has helped a lot:

On my PC: Installed an additional fan blowing onto the graphics card.

With the laptop we have in the house, I put little stands under the feet to raise it an inch and a half.  Then I have a small household fan cooling it off by blowing under and on top of the laptop from the opposite side of the fan vent.  This was in fact the best thing for the game and it has been running much better.

Unconventional yes, but effective.

Offline Holmes

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »
@Simstar3 These steps may not apply to you but here are a couple of other suggestions, followed by some questions.

1. Disable any custom content if you have any. Badly designed CC could conceivably cause this problem, though it's unlikely.
2. Delete the game caches if you are comfortable manipulating files on your computer. (see below)
3. As Pam says, you can try reinstalling.

One solution you can try before reinstalling completely (remember to deinstall first, especially if you have downloaded versions of any of the EP's or the game itself) is to delete the game caches. If you are comfortable messing about in folders and with files on your computer, you can find instructions here. Note that if you have a mac, do not delete the WorldCache.

[Link removed. - Pam]

-----------------------
Assuming you're running a windows machine, what is your graphics card? Processor? RAM? Free hard drive space?

Here are instructions for how to find out your graphics card:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4916955_out-graphics-card-windows.html

If you right click on "Computer" in the Start menu, and select "Properties" you should be able to find your processor and Installed Memory (RAM) under "System". (Can't recall if this works in Windows XP but does in Vista and 7).

Are you running other programs (e.g. anti-virus, browser) while The Sims is running?

@John some good points. One tip that you're probably aware of if you are installing fans inside your PC -- be careful if you're getting near the edge of your system's power envelope. I've had annoying problems with TS3 and power use.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:10:50 AM »
Sorry, Holmes.  We don't allow links to mod sites.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline MasterSiwel

• Occult
  • Family Man
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:34 AM »
I used to love playing The Sims. It used to make me feel happy and entertained. It used to occupy a large chunk of my life. Now I feel nothing but frustration and boredom, up to the fact that I've considered quitting The Sims all together. Please help.

Don't give up  :(. I hate to see a good friend leave so prematuraly. Just hang in there and try your best to get the problem. I used to have problems getting the sims work but you know what. I kept on going despite my struggle. Don't let some technical bug bog you down.
I may have a struggle of keeping my intrest but you got to keep going, no matter how hard it is. I will never give up and niether should you. I saw this to from the bottom of my heart "Don't Give Up."
"Go home and be a family man!"
-Guile

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 07:00:43 AM »
This may sound a little wrong, but I also just recently had the problem of my game constantly freezing/stuttering, much worse than I've ever seen it do. I think it must have come with the recent patch, but since the game was virtually unplayable, I tried starting a new game and I haven't had that problem yet. Maybe you can start up a new save game for just a couple of minutes and see if you still encounter the same problems?
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MasterSiwel

• Occult
  • Family Man
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:09:16 AM »
This may sound a little wrong, but I also just recently had the problem of my game constantly freezing/stuttering, much worse than I've ever seen it do. I think it must have come with the recent patch, but since the game was virtually unplayable, I tried starting a new game and I haven't had that problem yet. Maybe you can start up a new save game for just a couple of minutes and see if you still encounter the same problems?

A new patch? My game says that it's already up to date. Am I missing something?
"Go home and be a family man!"
-Guile

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »
No, no, I'm referring to the patch which came out early July.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »
If this offers any info, I do use one mod. It allows me to run Ambitions without having to insert the disk. If you read this thread, (http://www.carls-sims-3-forum.com/index.php/topic,1094.0.html) you'll have a pretty good idea on why I use it. Anyway, lemme know if this helps!
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
Simstar,

Have you been having the same problems all this time?  Or did it get better after that first thread was posted?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:43:32 PM »
I've actually started having the problem after I installed one of the patches, but I forget which one.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:54:39 PM »
Well, there are some good suggestions in this thread.  I hope you get it worked out.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
Thank you.  :)
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 11:39:16 AM »
I followed PJSims instructions and emptied out my DCBackup folder. Despite the fact that I deleted all 165 files in there, and restarted my computer, my game started getting even slower. My game was pretty laggy and slow before I installed LN, but THIS is ridiculous! The game freezes for at least three minutes if I try to move the stupid camera! My sims actions aren't even connected anymore! It's more like a bunch of pictures being shown one after another!
Gaaaah! I hate this! Playing sims is a nightmare now, and I can only stand to play it- if you call that playing- for a few minutes. Some one help, please! TT.TT
Formerly Simstar3