Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 2942519 times)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 10:21:28 AM »

*Justin Kayes, who is often underachieving as consignment clerk, is YA, single, Genius, Handy, Perceptive, Light Sleeper, and a Computer Whiz. He has the Tinkerer LTW.

Tim Burre - YA, Chess Legend LTW, unemployed and homeless.

Justin Kayes - Just in case
Tim Burre - Timber

Just saw that sorry, had to do that before I forgot.

I just might have to try this one.  I have never done anything like this before and it would be nice to do this in your own time and pace.  Thanks guys.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
Say your founder chose painting as his skill, and reached level 10 and completed the skill challenges, and a later sim reached level 10 of the painting skill but did not complete the skill challenges, would that be allowed, or can no later sims reach level 10 in that skill?

That would not be allowed because you picked painting for your Founder's "SuperMax" skill—the skill for eating Ambrosia (maxing + challenges). Once he maxed that skill as his requirement, no other immortal can max the same skill.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2010, 11:32:29 AM »
Max out simply means you hit the top of something and cannot possibly go any higher. So, the Ambrosia eating requirement for each immortal to "Max out" a unique skill AND accomplish all of the related skill challenges of that maxed skill means they've hit level 10 (then, the skill bar disappears).

A lot of players seem to be confused with what skills can be maxed, etc depending on what other immortals have accomplished. The most important thing is you have to assess your Dynasty's situation when an immortal is ready to eat Ambrosia. Your Founder has maxed painting, guitar and photography when he's ready to eat Ambrosia. Fine. He's in the clear and will be the easiest because you'll probably only need to think about his offspring and what they've accomplished at the time the Founder is ready to eat Ambrosia to make sure there's no overlap. You would need to choose one of those 3 maxed skills of your Founder as the one to fulfill his requirement to eat Ambrosia. And he would need to accomplish all related skill challenges for that skill as well before eating Ambrosia. So, say he chooses guitar as fulfilling his unique skill requirement. From that moment on all future immortals cannot max guitar. Why? Because the Founder then would no longer have a unique maxed skill if another immortal did the same.

They cannot max guitar at all.  They can max photography and painting, but cannot choose them for their supermax skill.  Is this correct?

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
I thought I understood the skill and skill challenge rule, but after reading all the posts since I was last here, I am thoroughly confused.  Metro, you posted above "Your Founder has maxed painting, guitar and photography when he's ready to eat Ambrosia".  In this scenario, either

(a) None of these skills can then be used as other immortals' SuperMax skill (like that term) as they have already been maxed by another immortal.  Or -

(b) Depending on which of these skills your Founder chooses as his SuperMax skill (the one to maximize and to complete all the skill challenges), either of the other skills can be another immortal's SuperMax skill.

I thought (a) was the correct interpretation of the rules, but now I'm not sure.

Please clarify if my understanding is correct.  Each immortal has one SuperMax skill, in which they have completed all 10 skill levels and all skill challenges.  No other immortal may take that particular skill up to level 10.  Right?  Which means, with 8 immortals and 15 skills, that there are 8 skills that can only be fully undertaken by one sim each, and 7 remaining skills that any of the immortals may pursue (which is what I posted above).

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »
They cannot max guitar at all.  They can max photography and painting, but cannot choose them for their supermax skill.  Is this correct?

Right. The more skills your Founder maxes, the more difficult it will be for future immortals to make choices for their supermax skill, so personally, whenever I get around to doing this challenge, I'll probably make my Founder a one-trick pony, like guitar and go Rock Star career. Then, I'll make his wife a da Vinci/cook and photographer to take care of the Founder's museum requirements.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
So then the next in line after that, has to go with another route, like athletic, but no guitar since that one was taken.  I think once people start playing it, it will fall into place and it will not be so confusing.  I can see where it would be, as long as no two immortals have the same supermax skills, all is well.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline TheCub

• Townie
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
There's one thing I noticed that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet. If lifespan is set to normal, and the Founder needs a portrait as a young adult, then you'll probably have less than three weeks to get that portrait done. I think you need level 7 painting skill to paint a portrait, so you'd better get married right away and have your spouse start learning to paint immediately.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 01:06:39 PM »
I hope to clear most, if not all, of the skill choice confusion up soon. I'm going to lay out exactly what I intend to do—at least give players a taste of the first 3 generations. I'll be very specific and leave no stone unturned. So, hopefully, that will help. I'll do that later today, but need to get to some house chores first.  ::)

-------

EDIT: Okay, here’s my walkthrough for the first 3 generations. Whether or not I actually do this is up in the air, but for now it sounds like a solid plan:

My Founder is Moe Howard. Moe’s going to marry quickly as TheCub correctly pointed out—you can’t dawdle on getting the paintings done. So, Moe marrys and his wife will assume the responsibility of painting Moe’s portrait, and also doing the photo and ice sculpture. She’ll be quite busy.

As for Moe, now that I think about it, guitar is not the way to go. I’ll have Moe go the Science career route and that way the gardening and fishing necessary for making Ambrosia can be taken care of, plus he’ll have handiness to to repair things that break. So, his LTW will be the Creature Robot Cross Breeder and his wife will essentially be the cook and a self employed painter, sculptor, photographer.

Moe and whatever her name will be have one child, Shemp. Shemp’s the 2nd generation immortal. Moe will probably have maxed gardening, handiness and fishing, so all 3 skills will be off limits for Shemp’s supermax choice. It would make sense for Shemp to become a da Vinci because Moe’s wife won’t be around very long to handle the paintings, photos, and sculptures. So, Shemp will pursue painting, sculpting and inventing and his targeted supermax skill would be one of those. His career will be a self-employed profession. Shemp’s wife will need to get in on the act as far as painting, sculpting and photography because Shemp will need his own objects for the museum. But, once Shemp’s wife is gone, then Shemp will be able to handle all museum objects for all future immortals.

Shemp and his wife bring in the 3rd generation with Curly Howard. Woo woo woo woo. Curly needs to pick a LTW, career, and supermax skill all different from Moe and Shemp, so let’s just say....a Swimming in Cash LTW, a Ghost Hunter career, and a Logic supermax choice.

Death Fish and Life Fruit can be kept indefinitely in inventory without fear of them ever spoiling, but there's still the requirement of someone with a maxed cooking skill to make the Ambrosia. So, I may just have Moe assume that responsibility and be the Dynasty household cook.

It is a little confusing in the sense of how many ways you can approach this, but I hope this example at least clears up some of the skill/supermax choice confusion. The bottom line is you'll have 8 immortals which means 8 different supermax skills, 8 different careers (rabbit-hole or self employed profession is fine) and 8 different LTW. Just plan it out for yourself and that will avoid confusion down the road for you when you get to generation 5 or 6 and are wondering what your remaining immortals can choose from to fulfill their requirements.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »
So you have to be careful about who helps out around the house because over time it's easy to reach 10 in a skill just by doing chores. Oh! And if they're all trying to make 6 best friends, you might have 8 immortals hovering at or near 10 in charisma, with no way to slow their progress!

In my earlier scenario I asked if this would be the case if Handy's special skill was handiness. Now, to be sure I'm getting this right, I'm asking if this would be the case even if Handy supermaxed gardening, plus he reached 10 in handiness:

"Drop that plunger and back away from the toilet! That's Handy's job and you're already a 9.".
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »
In my earlier scenario I asked if this would be the case if Handy's special skill was handiness. Now, to be sure I'm getting this right, I'm asking if this would be the case even if Handy supermaxed gardening, plus he reached 10 in handiness:

If Handy has chosen gardening as his requirement skill, then that obviously locks out gardening as a supermax choice for other immortals. If Handy has also maxed handiness, that also prevents handiness from being a supermax choice of other immortals.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
But you're not seeing my question. It also locks out any accidental progression of handiness to level 10 by other immortals, right?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline templesmom

• Townie
  • Happy Simming!
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
So for handiness your options are to have no one else do anything that can raise the handiness skill or watch them closely so that no one maxes handiness or just have handiness be one of the skills any one can do. I plan on doing that because inventing raises handiness anyway. So in my game handiness will never be a unique maxed skill.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
But you're not seeing my question. It also locks out any accidental progression of handiness to level 10 by other immortals, right?

If gardening is Handy's supermax/required skill for eating Ambrosia AND he maxed handiness too, all that means is that handiness cannot be the supermax skill of another immortal. Another immortal is free to max handiness. Here's the rule:

• 3. Max a skill not maxed by other immortals. All related skill challenges from the Skill Journal must also be accomplished for the skill.

So, the skill we're talking about above in the rule is the "supermax" skill I've coined. That single skill only deals with the requirement for eating Ambrosia and achieving immortality. There's nothing in the rules preventing multiple immortals from sharing the same maxed skills. It's just that each of them has to have one unique skill that no other immortal has maxed. I think some of you may be overthinking this a bit. I just don't know how else to explain myself.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
*removed*

Okay, then I guess we need to be very vigilant against accidental maxing of previously claimed Supermaxed skills by other immortals.

So for handiness your options are to have no one else do anything that can raise the handiness skill or watch them closely so that no one maxes handiness or just have handiness be one of the skills any one can do. I plan on doing that because inventing raises handiness anyway. So in my game handiness will never be a unique maxed skill.

Right, and I'm guessing charisma would be another one to leave free.

Offline templesmom

• Townie
  • Happy Simming!
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
Yes, I think that is part of the challenge.
I also think it will be easier playing it then thinking about it. I am away from my home computer so I am having a hard time over thinking this challenge because I can't start.[

Right, and I'm guessing charisma would be another one to leave free.
[/quote]

Yes I agree.

anything