Author Topic: The Fortunate Fortnight  (Read 26817 times)

Offline aalikane

• Nooboo
Re: The Fortunate Fortnight
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
I went for the lifetime wish 'swimming in cash' and then trained my dog to hunt. Didn't have to take time away from my Sim to get the lifetime wish accomplished.  By day 4, my dog had brought home enough soulpeace, pink diamonds, woohooium and supernovium to get to 50k easy.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2014, 06:09:09 PM »
That's pretty smart! I like your style.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Jack Alltrades

• Nooboo
  • Jack of Alltrades, Master of Some
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2014, 08:10:22 PM »
I took second and here are my top fulfilled wishes:

35,000  Alchemy Artisan
10,000  Take Photo Worth $3500
 7,500  Master Photography Skill
 5,000  Reach Level 10 of Photography Career
 5,000  Reach Level 10 of Alchemy Career
 5,000  Take Photo Worth $2500
 4,500  Create 20 Elixirs

So my first choice was going Genie.  I did that for the summon food ability, because the +50 moodlet let me keep my mood meter full green all the way full.  There are some times that I got hit with negative moodlets, but the +50 easily overpowered them.

For traits, I went with Photographic Eye to trigger the photo wants and because I knew it skilled fast.  As long as you don't care about losing money you can level photography fast.  I added Loves the Outdoors to try to keep mood meter green (wasn't much help).  I picked Dog Person to help with social, but was pretty irrelevant as my sim chugged Bliss potions constantly.   I had the same idea that Metropolis Man did about Snob.  I got it to spawn those "buy a xxx" wishes and the "Be worth more than xxxx" wishes.  It only half-worked for me.  I got the "Buy a xxx" wishes (20 of them for a total of 9500 happiness).  However, I never saw a "Be worth more than xxxx" wish.  It was also a minus at the consignment shop because I kept get the "Feeling Cheap" bad moodlet, but fortunately lobster thermidor more than overpowered it.  I also had Born Salesman trait which made making simoleans and leveling my professions easy-peasy.

There were a lot of little wishes in there for Take Photo of, Take B&W Photo of, etc as well as Make xxx potion, Use xxx potion and consign xxx potion.  All of those are why I went Alchemy/Photography.  Christinal3106 won fair and square, no sour grapes, but I made some bad decisions that could have increased my score - like right clicking on Buy 3 venues when I meant to left click.

I went right to skilling up Alchemy and made my first Envigorating Elixir before the first day was out and never slept.  I notice that Christinal used coffee beans to avoid sleep.  I think not sleeping really helped both of us.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
@Jack Alltrades

How do you manage to get the make $10,000 selling photographs wish to fulfill?  I could never get it, doesn't matter if i sell it in the consignment store or through inventory or through the camera - it just doesn't count.

Offline Jack Alltrades

• Nooboo
  • Jack of Alltrades, Master of Some
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2014, 08:22:35 PM »
Mutter, mutter.  Cut and paste error.  I promised the wish, but had to cancel so never fulfilled it.  I wrote my wishes down when I promised them... and why I wrote down the broken wish I don't know.  I'll chalk it up to being late at night and on too much coffee.  Anyway, if those wishes were fulfillable, it would have easily made photography the best way to go.

I'll also go back and edit it off the list.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
Thanks for all the congratulations!!

Offline sunshine_2406

• Occult
  • Call me Alice :)
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2014, 03:35:23 AM »
Well done Christinal3106, that was an impressive score. I also went for sculpting first before I moved on to inventing when her wishes stopped rolling, but I forgot about that LTW. I'm pretty sure I used swimming in cash as it was easy to fulfil.
From the moment I fell down that rabbit hole I've been told what I must do and who I must be. I've been shrunk, stretched, scratched and stuffed into a teapot. I've been accused of being Alice, and of not being Alice, but this is my dream. I'll decide where it goes from here.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline tirajm

• Nooboo
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2014, 12:22:17 PM »
I chose the Professional Author LTW and Artistic, Bookworm, Computer Whiz, Couch Potato and Hates the Outdoors for traits.  Artistic was probably the least useful of the bunch - it's supposed to make her learn writing faster, but I don't think it provided me any useful wishes.  Bookworm won most useful, of course, just for the "Read x books total" wishes, but Computer Whiz was also really helpful.  It boosts the rate at which she gains fun from playing computer games, and Lucy could go from Stressed to Having a Blast in roughly an hour, without even having to move.

I'm a terrible builder, so I just bought her the cheapest house in Riverview and sold off all the appliances so she would wish for them.  I ended up not getting her a fridge or stove; I just made do with a mini-fridge.  I didn't get a moodlet from the food, but cooking just takes too much time.  For decor, I completely abused the vase that comes with the WA registration pack - it's +5 decor and only costs $1.  I just stuck two in pretty much every room, and she had a +45 Beautifully Decorated moodlet all the time.  Her desk is a little odd looking - she's got a super-cheap desk and the most comfortable chair in the game.  Add in a stereo to play her favorite music, and she was in such a good mood that even being Stressed didn't make much of a dent.

My strategy for completing her LTW was heavily influenced by University.  I had Lucy specialize in sports books - perhaps slightly ironic, given that she was a Couch Potato, but they're super-short, you only need Writing 3 for them, and they make a ton of money.  She could crank out a book and a half to two books in a day.  I also had her buy a copy of every single comic book in the bookstore, as they're really short and really cheap.  Then whenever she popped a wish to read so many books, I had her read the comic books. 

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2014, 12:45:22 PM »
My strategy for completing her LTW was heavily influenced by University.  I had Lucy specialize in sports books - perhaps slightly ironic, given that she was a Couch Potato, but they're super-short, you only need Writing 3 for them, and they make a ton of money.  She could crank out a book and a half to two books in a day.  I also had her buy a copy of every single comic book in the bookstore, as they're really short and really cheap.  Then whenever she popped a wish to read so many books, I had her read the comic books.

That is really interesting. I have not done a writer since the last writing challenge which predates University, so I am embarrassed to admit I was not aware of the new Sports Writer specialty. Yeah take a look at this —

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Writing

Sports has the highest royalty per page ratio of any genre.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2014, 12:24:39 AM »
@tirajm I love those dragon vases too!  Those things are great.  It makes any broke sim have a beautifully decorated house!! 
@Jack Alltrades  I love genies.  They are awesome.  I chose the fairy for a few reasons though.  First, I could get a skill boost to painting with the creative aura or whatever it is.  Also, other times, especially after the fairy LTR, I could pretty much use the aura of soothing all the time for another =20 mood.  Plus every night, she got the =20 moon one.  My moon is set to constant waxing gibbous. (I think.)  The coffee beans were best for me because I had no plan to even touch alchemy.  Plus you have to get ingredients either by growing or constantly going to the elixir store.  I just bought like 150 coffee beans at the very start, and it took care of hunger too.  Most of the time, my sim was stuffed actually.  Every few hours I had to eat another bean, but the beans also give a =30 mood.  So with those mood boosts, the beautiful vista, having a blast (except for when he was inventing), the stereo one, and the loves the outdoors, he was always elated.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2014, 12:26:18 AM »
Wait a second, aren't herbs and cofee beans banned in the general rules? Or am I missing something?

Offline Blackrosea

• Immortal
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2014, 12:41:23 AM »
Congratulations christinal3106 on winning the challenge!

Wait a second, aren't herbs and cofee beans banned in the general rules? Or am I missing something?

No, they are not banned in the general rules. Each challenge will state if herbs, coffee beans, or elixirs are banned. The only thing banned in the General Rules is the Midas Touch Elixir for all challenges.

For this challenge, the Wish Enhancing Serum was banned, but everything else was ok.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2014, 02:19:40 AM »
Oh, thank you. I believe I was thinking about another challenge.

anything