Author Topic: Newly installed game crashes to black screen without loading  (Read 1760 times)

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
I just installed the Sims 3 and all EPs, all SPs except one, and all store content minus 2 worlds and a handful of sets.  This basically took all night.  All of the EPs were installed from DVD except for Into the Future, which I downloaded from my Origin account.  The game launcher works fine and says the game is fully patched, but when I click "play" the game keeps crashing to a black screen without loading.

After Googling a bit, I changed the game's Options.ini file to open in windowed mode instead of full screen, and it loaded, but this defeats the purpose of playing it on a 1920x1080p screen.

I'm running it on the following new computer:
3.1GHz Intel Core i5-4440 Haswell CPU (4th generation)
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 Graphics (192-bit OEM model with 3GB GDDR5 RAM)
Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

The OS and all game application and saved files boot from a Samsung 840 EVO solid state drive.

Can anyone advise on possible solutions to this, please?  Thank you!

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
Re: Newly installed game crashes to black screen without loading
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 03:36:17 AM »
I remember when I first installed the sims 3, Generations and Town Life at the same time. The game was laggy and crashed a few times. I would try uninstalling everything apart from the base game and do an expansion at a time. Sorry, but it worked for me and I can see this must be really frustrating if it took all night!
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
Re: Newly installed game crashes to black screen without loading
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 11:02:21 AM »
Thanks for the response, bubbles!  The game didn't originally recognize my graphics card model, but I added the Sims 3 to the NVidia Control Panel and rebooted everything, which did the job.