Author Topic: Sims 4 Building/Remodeling Thread  (Read 177162 times)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Sims 4 Building/Remodeling Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2014, 03:49:55 PM »
@Indra, I actually love the bar/kitchen/dining area. It does take up a lot of space but it is in a big area so it works.
@ Tobey I like the mix of formal and casual living spaces and in your kitchen you could always change the bit where there are stools into an actual mixology bar later in your game if you need one. I always forget to leave room for things that I'll need later when I build.  ::)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline TobeyR

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
Here's a few shots of the house I think I've finished... open to suggestions for improvements always.

The sunken lounge

View the other way up towards the dinning area and kitchen around the corner

Kitchen, seems a bit boring

Behind the lounge, downstairs bathroom, study, hallway and stairs and access to backyard

Upstairs bedroom, bathroom

Downstairs overview

front door detail of the overhang/veranda thing

last one.. a different front view

I was inspired by the house over the road, 'Sand trap" I think it's called, but I liked the holes in the overhang/veranda thing so I tried it myself

This is gorgeous!!!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2014, 07:04:05 PM »
I was inspired by the house over the road, 'Sand trap" I think it's called, but I liked the holes in the overhang/veranda thing so I tried it myself

It looks wonderful! I think I'll try that holey veranda myself.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »
WOW Playalot, you have real talent! The very first picture and I'm sold. The roofline is amazing and I'm at a loss for words for the rest! How did you get the windows in the roof wall section? I tried and the game wouldn't let me.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 12:24:34 AM »
Thank you so much for the kind comments. I've always built for my own sims but I've been a a bit shy about showing other people.
The windows can be placed in the roof part if your roof is just tall enough. I hold down the alt key while grabbing the window so to place it inline with the normally placed wall windows.

With the holey veranda thingies you have to make little square 'rooms' then delete each floor inside the little rooms, then delete each wall. This leave you with the holes, then I just use a roof trim to complete the look.

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2014, 02:41:16 AM »
How did you get the windows in the roof wall section? I tried and the game wouldn't let me.

It depends on the height of your roof as well as the size of the window that you are using.

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
So my new project is attempting to replicate my parents' home.  It is turning out to be quite difficult, with the saltbox style, open balcony in the main room and the lack of ability to put stairs on a diagonal.  This is what I have so far.  I finally got the stairs to work, but the roof makes up part of an indoor wall, which I can't paint separately so it has outdoor siding on one wall of the interior upstairs bedrooms.  I also didn't take any photos of the upstairs, as it took me forever to figure out how to get my sim up the stairs (it turns out part of the roof of the small addition next to the carport was blocking the stairs so I had to move them one tile over and add an additional wall) but there are two bedrooms, both ensuite up there.

Front view.  So our original house only consisted of the middle "box" which was pretty basic.  My parents then added on the "box" on the right, which is a hot tub room and workshop, and the garage (carport).  Later, they added on the "box" on the left, which is the den/tv room.  The front section, which is fully enclosed in glass, was originally a deck, which they enclosed and made a sunroom.  It is hard to see from this photo, but there are double doors that lead from the sunroom to the house interior.

Rear view.  Covered deck.

Layout of ground floor.  This is pretty much the exact layout of their floor.  The front is an enclosed sunroom, with double doors that lead to an open floor plan living room/dining room.  The room on the left is the den/tv room.  Behind the front deck on the right is the hot tub room/workshop.  One step further back in the home (left to right) is kitchen, jack-n-jill bathroom and guest bedroom.  Small room in rear is laundry room with access to rear deck.

I couldn't get reasonable photos of the second floor, as the roof "walls" were blocking everything even in walls down view.  Second floor is an open-air interior balcony that looks down upon the living room/dining room area.  Off the balcony, to the rear, are two bedrooms, each with their own bathroom.

I'm not sure this is feasible as a Sims house, simply because I can't get full photos with the issues I'm currently having with the roof.  So for now, this place is unfurnished.  I'll work on it some more and see if I can't fix the roof issues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2014, 03:46:13 PM »
So my new project is attempting to replicate my parents' home. 

I'm really liking the way it looks. I've noticed the camera is funky sometimes when your moving around yourself but is fine when following your sim. So it should be usable by sims.

Offline justproud2b

• Occult
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
Watching all you do your stuff inspired me to try harder and go for the goal of making my house I actually live in. This is what I came up with.

I tried to make the garage look like a garage but put workout equipment in it instead. Figured might also make a good play room. I was unable to figure out how to remove the foundation just from around the garage area but do have it as a split level cause the foundation is gone on the inside.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »
I was unable to figure out how to remove the foundation just from around the garage area but do have it as a split level cause the foundation is gone on the inside.

As it is now, if you have a foundation on part of the building, it is on all of the building.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »
justproud, I like your house!  Yes, as Twinmum says, unfortunately, if you put a foundation on part of the house, it ends up on all.  Which is why my "carport" looks so funny.

So, I think I fixed the roof problems on my replica of my parents' home.  I ended up having to add a different kind of roof in the rear of the house, as you can see from the photos.  Plus, I raised the roof on the workshop/carport area to match the room on the other side.  I also changed the foundation and siding, resized a couple of rooms and finally got to add some furniture.  It still needs landscaping, but I think once that is done and I test it, I'll be able to upload it on the gallery.

Front view:

Side view (you can see the change in roofline in the rear of the house):

Back view:

Interior of first floor.  The blank room on the right can be a skills room (in mom and dad's real house, it is the hot tub room and workshop):

Interior of second floor (you can see how balcony looks down on first floor living area):

Because of the restrictions of the build mode of the game, I of course couldn't replicate the house exactly, but what I have here is ok with me.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 01:20:19 AM »
@Justproud2b love your garage door, vey cool.
@dnagirl replicating real life houses is a lot of fun but I always get really picky about getting it just right, and then have to concede that sometimes the game just doesn't let you.  ::) Your carport and roofline look great, I love the 'increase' cheat.

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »
Thanks Playalot (and everyone else)!
Mom and dad's house is now posted on the gallery.  Photos can be found in our Swap Shop Link to the thread here on the forum.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 09:28:13 PM »
Yes, as Twinmum says, unfortunately, if you put a foundation on part of the house, it ends up on all.  Which is why my "carport" looks so funny.

I don't think it looks funny, I like what you have done wth the foundation in that area to make it a raised garden.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
Yes, I was so glad to see that I could place plants on top of that area.  It makes it look so much better.

anything