Author Topic: How-To: Backup and Restore The Sims 4 and 3  (Read 84167 times)

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
How-To: Backup and Restore The Sims 4 and 3
« on: September 07, 2014, 03:02:36 PM »
Post Updated May 2023

Manually Backup your EA Games Install Folder

You can back your EA Games (sort-of) by making a copy of the install folder and copy it to a usb drive, external drive or online storage.

EA App: (Default Paths - Yours may be different if you have a custom install).
C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 3\
C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 4\

When you want to install the game again, you'll still need an internet connection, as the EA App will need to verify your account and game. Plus it'll want to download any updates. It'll start to download the game, let it do so until about 2% of the download and then pause the download. Exit out of the EA App, and copy over your backup to

[C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 4\]

Or

[C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 3\]

It's okay if it overwrites the files that are there.

Open the EA App, un-pause the download. After a few seconds or so it should say something like preparing instead of downloading. It's okay, it's verifying files and such. And will start downloading after the verifying is finished.

After it's done downloading you should be good to play the game.

----

Reference Link:

Possible to backup games, to avoid re-downloading them in the future?
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Mac-Client-Technical/Possible-to-backup-games-to-avoid-re-downloading-them-in-the/td-p/9988648

✽  Our article below is out of date and may no longer work, The first part is under the spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
How-To: Backup and Restore The Sims 4 From Origin
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »
Part Two: Restoring Your Backup

When restoring your Origin download, double-check your Origin settings to make sure the games are set to install where you want them. Below is a quick recap of the settings I use (Origin menu --> Application Settings, click the Advanced tab):

Remember the default settings are:
  • C:\Program Files\Origin Games -- for 32-bit Windows
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games -- for 64-bit Windows
Once you've verified the settings, you need to close Origin completely. To do this, right-click on the Origin symbol in the lower-right corner of your taskbar (near the system's clock - you may need to expand the list before it shows up) and select Exit from the menu.

Copy the compressed file from your backup device and put it into a temporary folder. I keep a Temp folder on my hard drive for this kind of work (C:\Temp for example). Once the file is copied into your working folder, right-click on it and select "7-Zip --> Extract here" from the menu (if using 7zip). It will create a The Sims 4 folder with all the files in their proper directory structure.

Once the extraction is complete, copy The Sims 4 folder into your Origin game folder (see the defaults above). If you are copying into the default Origin folder, you will receive a UAC prompt to supply Administrative privileges in order to complete the copy. If you are not using an Administrator account, you will be prompted to enter the username and password of an Administrative level account.

Once your The Sims 4 folder has finished copying into the Origin game folder, open the Origin client. Find The Sims 4 in your Library and hover over it so it displays the game's information card.

Click the Download button. First, Origin will display an information box with options to create a Start Menu shortcut and a Desktop shortcut:

Origin will prompt you to accept a couple of EULAs (End-User License Agreement) before continuing:

Origin will then verify the game's files and install the game. This may take a couple minutes depending on the speed of your computer. It will also download any updates released since the date of your last backup:

Finally, you're ready to launch the game and enjoy!

Part three is next.

Flynn

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
How-To: Backup and Restore The Sims 4 From Origin Downloader
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
Part Three: Notes and wrap-up

I will be revisiting this article as each expansion comes out to touch up any changes. While there is still no built-in function for backing up and restoring Origin games, it has been made slightly easier than before.

While this article is focused on the backup and restore of The Sims 4, it is worth noting that these same instructions work for a number of Origin releases. Games in my library that I've used these instructions on include:
  • Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
  • Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection games
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Dragon Age II
  • Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Mass Effect Trilogy
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
  • SimCity (2013)
  • The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection
  • The Sims 3 + Expansion Packs and Stuff Packs
  • The Sims 4 Premium Edition
Thanks once again to MrsFlynn for helping me keep notes during this process and to the group here at the forums for all the great feedback. If you have any questions or run in to any problems while following these instructions, please ask and I will do what I can to help you out.

Hope this helps, and happy Simming! :)

Flynn