Author Topic: Which laptop should I get?  (Read 7837 times)

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Re: Which laptop should I get?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 05:19:02 PM »
Overall, net-on-net seems to be a little more expensive, but I did find this gem:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/laptop/skarmstorlek/laptop-15---16-tum/lenovo-y50-70/206894.3003/

Lenovo Y50-70
* 8 990 SEK
* Intel Core-i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz (quad-core)
* Intel HD 4600/nVidia GeForce GTX 860M (2 GB)
* 1 TB hard drive
* 8 GB memory/16 GB maximum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so this one is more expensive, so why do I recommend it? Well, unlike the HP or the MSI linked before, the GeForce GTX 860M should be capable of playing The Sims 4 on full/ultra settings at the full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080, (1080p) whereas the Radeon 8750M and the GeForce GT 840M will likely top out at 1366 x 768 resolution (or just slightly larger than 720p). It also has the same expansion capabilities of the MSI laptop. The only thing it doesn't include is a DVD drive.

Here's another potential laptop:

http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/laptop/skarmstorlek/laptop-17-tum/hp-envy17-j162no/206659.3004/
HP Envy 17-j162no
* 8 990 SEK
* Intel Core-i7 4710MQ 2.5 GHz (quad-core)
* Intel HD 4600/nVidia GeForce GT 840M (2 GB)
* 1 TB hard drive
* 12 GB memory/32 GB maximum
* DVD drive

About the same specifications as the MSI at Elgiganten, but with the same cost as the Lenovo above. It does come with more memory and has a DVD drive.

Overall, though, you'll need to determine if that is worth the extra cost. All four are capable of playing the game well as it stands right now. The Lenovo probably offers the most "bang for the buck" as a similar ASUS model goes for 11 990 on the same site. But both net-on-net laptops are outside your budget by nearly 1 000.

Let me know if there are any other sites you want me to check and I'll see what's available. :)

Flynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Offline HiMyNameIsMaria

• Nooboo
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 09:34:42 AM »
Thank you!
Can you please see if www.siba.se and www.mediamarkt.se has some good laptops?

I find some who maybe will be good for the game ... I changed my mind whoever. I will be satisfied if I can play the game at high /medium and it does not really have to be really on full resolution. :)

https://www.komplett.se/acer-aspire-e5-572g-156-hd/817388

I think it has a good processor since it does not end with "u".

http://cdon.se/hemelektronik/acer/acer-aspire-v5-573pg-54218g50aii-i5-4210u-8gb-500gb-nvidia-gtx850m-gb-w8-1-p27771571?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Acer%20Aspire%20V5-573PG-54218G50aii%20i5-4210U/8GB/500GB/NVIDIA%20GTX850M-GB/W8.1&utm_content=27771571&utm_campaign=prisjakt_se_home-electronics_Laptop%2015-16

This have the graphic card 850M ... Is it better than 840m ?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
I didn't see much on siba.se that would work well. However, I did find this one on mediamarkt.se:

http://www.mediamarkt.se/mcs/product/ACER-V5-552PG-10578G1,90952,510478,1240122.html?langId=-16

Acer V5-552PG-10578G1
* 7 990 kr
* AMD A10-5757M 2.5 GHz (quad-core)
* Radeon HD 8650G/Radeon HD 8750M (2 GB)
* Touchscreen
* 1 TB hard drive
* 8 GB memory/12 GB maximum

Essentially, this is the same hardware that MrsFlynn and I have, but with a touchscreen.

For the laptops you linked to, the first one at komplett.se is the better of the two, and should do quite nicely. It has a good processor, a good graphics card, and should run the game on high/ultra settings with no problem. The second laptop has a U processor which is just under the minimum clock speed for the game. The 850M is a better graphics chip than the 840M, but with the lower clock speed of the main processor, you will see some slowdown and stuttering with the game.

If you're going strictly on price, the computer at https://www.komplett.se/acer-aspire-e5-572g-156-hd/817388 is definitely the best one to order. It's on sale for a good price and will play the game well. If you want the most power for the money, the Lenovo at http://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/laptop/skarmstorlek/laptop-15---16-tum/lenovo-y50-70/206894.3003/ is the better system.

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn

Offline HiMyNameIsMaria

• Nooboo
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
Thank you!
I will go with the Acer one you last linked. :D http://www.mediamarkt.se/mcs/product/ACER-V5-552PG-10578G1,90952,510478,1240122.html?langId=-16

Now, it does not have a cd drive. So I need to buy the game on origin, right? :)

Do I also need to upgrade this to some more RAM?

Offline HiMyNameIsMaria

• Nooboo
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 07:12:03 AM »
Is this what you guys have?
http://www.mediamarkt.se/mcs/product/ACER-V5-552G-10578G1,90952,510478,1240212.html?langId=-16#specifikation

I think it's almost same specs as the Acer one with touch screen...

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Hi, Maria.

Yes, that is the same model family we have - and the same hardware. Our system's exact model is Acer Aspire v5-552G-X852, which is no longer being sold in the U.S. While the model page on the one you linked says the maximum memory is 16 GB, if it's anything like our Acer, the actual memory limit is 12 GB as only one of the two memory slots has the ability to be replaced. Still, 8 GB of memory should get you going and you wouldn't need to buy more memory right away.

As noted in my review on Amazon (fourth review from the top on the left side of the page), the system's internal hard drive is a little slow. But that wasn't much of an issue for us with Sims 4 as there's no expansions or much store content yet. However, as the game grows in size due to more expansions and such you may want to consider replacing the hard drive with a solid state drive. As it stands right now, it plays the game fine in both 1280x720 and 1366x768 at high/ultra settings. :)

Flynn

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »
Now, it does not have a cd drive. So I need to buy the game on origin, right? :)

Do I also need to upgrade this to some more RAM?
Hi, Maria.

I didn't see this post at first. If you already have the game on disc, you don't need to re-buy it on Origin as you can just enter the install key in Origin and download it. Otherwise, you can buy either version as they are the same. :)

Flynn

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline HiMyNameIsMaria

• Nooboo
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »
Ok. Thanks :)
Just another question ... Pc related.
I've read a lot that Acer computers can have some "issues" with the fan noise. Is it too loud?
Is that something you are bothered with?

Offline HiMyNameIsMaria

• Nooboo
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 07:47:15 PM »
Hi, Maria.

I didn't see this post at first. If you already have the game on disc, you don't need to re-buy it on Origin as you can just enter the install key in Origin and download it. Otherwise, you can buy either version as they are the same. :)

Flynn

Hi, I haven't yet bought the game. I'm thinking to maybe install and buy it via origin.
What's better?

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 07:48:35 PM »
The fan on any laptop can be loud when it's running under a heavy load like games. However, we bought a cooling mat for ours. The fans on the mat are much quieter than the laptop's fans. And, while it's on the mat, I don't think I ever heard the laptop's fans kick in, even while playing games.

This is the mat we have -- http://www.mediamarkt.se/mcs/product/TARGUS-Lap-Chill-Mat,90952,510375,549181.html?langId=-16. We chose this one as it has the air intakes on the sides. A number of cooler pads have the air intake in the back, which is not as good with the Acer since it's exhaust vents are in the back of the computer. Not a good mix to have your cooling pad draw in the hot air from the laptop. Plus, the USB cable can be moved to either side of the pad, making it easy to reach all three USB ports on the laptop.

Flynn

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 07:54:41 PM »
Hi, I haven't yet bought the game. I'm thinking to maybe install and buy it via origin.
What's better?
There is a slight advantage to buying the Origin version as you only have to wait for the files to download in order to play (it will download the game with the current patches already applied). Otherwise, there are no differences between the two versions. You can even use the instructions in my article How-To: Backup and Restore The Sims 4 from Origin Downloader to backup your game files regardless of which version you buy.

Flynn

Offline HiMyNameIsMaria

• Nooboo
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
Thank you for the great help!
Whoever, I'm still a little picky about the Acer v5...
I don't know if I should buy the one with touch, since it's a huge touch-boom out there ..
Is sims 4 touch friendly?
In other thoughts, I can see myself just going with mouse and keyboard
To play the game and interacting with windows 8.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
Thank you for the great help!
Whoever, I'm still a little picky about the Acer v5...
I don't know if I should buy the one with touch, since it's a huge touch-boom out there ..
Is sims 4 touch friendly?
In other thoughts, I can see myself just going with mouse and keyboard
To play the game and interacting with windows 8.
Hi, Maria.

I honestly don't know if The Sims 4 is touchscreen friendly or not. I don't have a touchscreen laptop or a Windows tablet to test with. So, then you only have to decide if touch is something you'd want and whether it would be worth the cost.

Flynn

Offline HiMyNameIsMaria

• Nooboo
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 05:10:03 PM »
Hi and thanx again for the help
I haven't bought the laptop.
Mainly because I found this one:
Is it better than the first Acer?
I it's not, I will go with the Acer you earlier suggested. :)
Thnx

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »
Hi and thanx again for the help
I haven't bought the laptop.
Mainly because I found this one:
Is it better than the first Acer?
I it's not, I will go with the Acer you earlier suggested. :)
Thnx
No problem. Happy to help. :)

There doesn't seem to be a link?

Flynn

anything