Author Topic: How To: Move Save File to Another Computer - Sims 4  (Read 183999 times)

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
How To: Move Save File to Another Computer - Sims 4
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:33:31 PM »
I need to move a few save files from my laptop to my PC. How do I do that? It doesn't give file names; just Slot_0000000a.save.ver0 and so on.

How-To: Copy Sims 4 game saves to another computer
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29318.msg449653#msg449653

The post linked below talks about where to find your game install files as well as where to find your user files. They are both installed in different areas. If the user files get mixed up with the install files it will cause problems and the game will need to be reinstalled.

My Sims User Folder or Install Files are Missing?
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29315.msg431335#msg431335

------
How-To: Recover a Saved Game
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21519.msg387147#msg387147

Offline beardeux

• Occult
Re: How To: Move Save File to Another Computer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »
Glad you asked.  I have the same question.  What I've been doing is to Keep Save games on another drive under TS4 saved games/Ts4 saves by date - ie
External Drive: TS4 saved games/TS4 saves by date/today's date/and all the files from the game saves.  If I copy the saves more than once in a day, I tack on an a,b...etc.  However, I've not tried a replacement yet, so I don't know if this actually works.
Hopefully, there's a better way.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Nice things come in small packages.
Timing is everything.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »
Here's a few links that might help you both to be able to save your games and whatnot to be able to use them on another computer.

How-To: Copy Sims 4 game saves to another computer
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29318.msg449653#msg449653

The post linked below talks about where to find your game install files as well as where to find your user files. They are both installed in different areas. If the user files get mixed up with the install files it will cause problems and the game will need to be reinstalled.

My Sims User Folder or Install Files are Missing?
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29315.msg431335#msg431335

------
How-To: Recover a Saved Game
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21519.msg387147#msg387147

Hope this helps, :)

MrsFlynn
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »
Thank you! Looks Like I should have been making a named folder for each game to put each save into.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
Re: How to move save file to another computer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 04:57:05 PM »
That helped a lot MrsFlynn! I figured out that I just need to save the "Tray" folder to get the houses that I was building on my laptop! Woot!

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:46:25 AM »
Thanks MrsFlynn.  Through trial and error, I figured out the #saves of my two games and what I believe is the Auto Save files.  I deleted the save.ver.3 & 4 files and made separate file folders for my two games.

I didn't know anything about the "tray" folder.  What exactly is it?  Just because, I've now copied that into my backup saves as well.  Thanks for that Judewright. 
I'm wanting to save my built homes in the library, but I think that's a different issue.  I don't think that Tray folder is going to let me retrieve a built house.

When I played later today, I ended up with 2 more sets of files save.ver.5 & 6.  I did a temp backup and then deleted them.  Went back into the game and it is as it should be.  I read that they are not sure which cache files are safe to delete, so I'll just leave them alone for now.  I thought TS3 was a pain to clean-up and backup.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:50:36 AM »
When I moved the Tray folder (combined) to my pc, it brought in the houses that I saved to the library on the laptop. It was a great relief because I thought I would lose them.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:22:12 AM »
How did you save your houses to the library?
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 01:27:34 AM »
From Build Mode. In the top bar there's an icon for lot information. There's another icon there that looks like a file folder. Click on it to save your house. You'll need to give it a name. If you want to save a second house, give it a different name and "save as new" so it doesn't overwrite the first one(s).

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:29:14 AM »
I'm not at my pc so that's from my old lady memory. Hope I remembered correctly :P

Offline beardeux

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 01:36:08 AM »
Thanks so much.  I hope my old lady memory can remember what you told me.  ;D - done.  So exciting.  Great.
Bear Deux
Take Care & Clear Skies
Timing is everything.

Offline 1Saved_Diva

• I wish Happy Times in The Sims 4 U!
  • Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 09:40:46 PM »
@MrsFlynn @beardeux @judewright This info may be a few months old but is still relevant. I had need to move/share files so I could play on my laptop and my desktop and the info gained here was exactly what I needed to do the trick. It should be marked as "resolved" so others with this issue will know to come here for the answer. THANKS to you all!   ;D  :)  ;)
"To Achieve Success, You Must Be Willing To Risk Failure." tew

Those who "Try" view their mistakes as disappointing ends, while those who "Do" use theirs', and the mistakes of others, as a reason to begin... again."  tew

Offline DizarAngel

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »
Hi guys,

Sorry if this seems like a simple question, or maybe my lack of behind the scenes file expertise is letting me down here...

I've been playing on two separate computers, but want to merge all the games onto one of the computers (we'll call it Computer A). So the one I no longer want to use is Computer B. Is this making sense?

However, on Computer A I have a few saved games.. And on Combuter B, only the one. However, I cant drag the files across into my Computer A saves folder without asking me if I want to replace some of the older ones. And do I also have to drag in all the contents of the scratch & SerialGUID folders.

Am I being an idiot? Help! Also, if you have a solution, please make it idiot proof for my sake.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it :)

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 04:50:15 PM »
Hi guys,

Sorry if this seems like a simple question, or maybe my lack of behind the scenes file expertise is letting me down here...

I've been playing on two separate computers, but want to merge all the games onto one of the computers (we'll call it Computer A). So the one I no longer want to use is Computer B. Is this making sense?

However, on Computer A I have a few saved games.. And on Combuter B, only the one. However, I cant drag the files across into my Computer A saves folder without asking me if I want to replace some of the older ones. And do I also have to drag in all the contents of the scratch & SerialGUID folders.

Am I being an idiot? Help! Also, if you have a solution, please make it idiot proof for my sake.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it :)
Hi, DizarAngel. Welcome to the forum. :)

Here's what you'll want to do:
  • On Computer A, open your saves folder (by default, C:\Users\<username>\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\saves\ - where <username> is your Windows username).
  • You'll see a number of files with names like Slot_00000001.save and Slot_00000001.save.ver0. These are your save files.
  • Jot down the name of the last save file in this folder (say, Slot_00000015.save, for example).
  • On Computer B, go to your Sims 4\saves folder and look at it's filename. Let's pretend it's Slot_00000002.save
  • Rename the file on Computer B so that the number is one larger than the number on Computer A. In this example, you would rename Slot_00000002.save on Computer B to Slot_00000016.save. Do the same for any .ver# files if you want to keep the previous save states as well.
  • Copy the renamed file(s) to Computer A. When you load The Sims 4, the save from Computer B should now be in the Load Game list.
As an FYI, Slot_00000001.save is the Autosave file. Slot_00000002.save and above are files created when you do a Save As in the game. The SerialGUI and Scratch folders do not need to be transferred as they are only used while playing the game.

Hope this helps and happy Simming! :)

Flynn

This thread has been locked, if you have this issue or one like it, click here to create your own topic. This will help us help you better.
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

anything