Author Topic: Yet another glitch  (Read 2098 times)

Offline igor140

• Llama Wrangler
Yet another glitch
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:50:33 AM »
This one is exciting.  I finally moved back from the future... and my sims are gone.  They simply did not make it back from the future.  "Great Scot!" indeed.  Is this a known and/ or understandable phenomenon...?  Or are my sims simply doomed to stay in the future?  Fortunately, I have several saves before jumping back, but I was hoping to have kids... which will be difficult if they don't have schools in the future.

Offline igor140

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Yet another glitch
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
OH!  This is even better!  I was mistaken.  They ARE back, but I have no control over them!  They don't show up in the HUD at all and when I find them in the world, I cannot interact with them (or any NPCs) in any way. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Babaloo321

• Nooboo
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
Alright, let me take a stab at this.

I'm not sure if this will work but it might, so here's what you do :

Step 1) Bring up the command console by pressing ctrl+shift+C

Step 2) Type in the console : "testingcheatsenabled true" (Without the quotes)

Step 3) Press shift + click on your sims and click on add to active household

Step 4) Repeat Step 1

Step 5) Type testingcheatsenabled false

If that doesn't work then I'm not sure, buddy

Offline igor140

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »
Well, thanks for the attempt, but it was to no avail : /

The only options that showed up on ANY sims-- be they the created family or NPCs-- were to take the sim to CAS, force age up, set celebrity level, and... something that wasn't pertinent to what I was trying to do.

I hadn't before, so I tried quitting my futuristic jobs before coming back to the present... no help.  I tried changing out of all of my futuristic clothes... no help.  I tried loading an earlier save from several sim-days earlier... no help.  Everything works fine in the future, but as soon as I come back to the present it's like the HUD disengages from the game.

I'll poke my head in here over the next couple days, but I'm ready to throw in the towel on this playthrough.  Skyrim with 80+ mods is less buggy than Sims 3, which is less buggy than Sims 4... so I guess I'm back to Skyrim until DA3. 

... which i'm just now realizing is an EA game, and thus will likely be unplayably buggy out of the box.  crap.  i may seriously demand my money back for sims 4.  you'd figure after a decade and a half of making high end games, they would learn to make them stable...

Offline Babaloo321

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »
Well, you know The Sims 3 and it's bugs aren't for everyone.
Some people have the time and the patience to deal with lag and bugs, but some don't.

That's great that you are moving on to a different game and that is understandable, I'm happy for you!  :D 

Offline igor140

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 09:00:18 PM »
Well, I've often said that games as large and complicated as Sims 3 or Skyrim will naturally become buggy.  And typically with those two games, I play the characters until something finally breaks.  The problem is that, in the case of Sims 3, I have never-- not once in five years-- had a sim family make it past the second generation.  Almost all sims games I start, I intend to take them multiple generations, sometimes even planning out what I want to do with the kids and grandkids... and not once have I ever had a game last that long before it completely bugs out.

I have had situations like this where the interface completely craps out.  I have had sims completely removed from the game (not just "invisible", but GONE).  I have had entire buildings disappear.  One creepy time, I got back from China, and all of the townsfolk NPCs were gone; it was spooky like Roanoke.

So with a game this size, that tries to take on this much, I expect that things will go wrong before I fully get to play out my intended characters... but when it happens this often, this regularly, in this many different ways, across this many different years, mods, patches, expansions, and PC builds... eventually you have to wonder if this is me being impatient, or if the game was simply never programmed well.