Author Topic: Disappearing Butler  (Read 76796 times)

Offline Devin

• Occult
Disappearing Butler
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:45:41 AM »
I don't know when it happened, but my Butler disappeared. I had been wondering whether or not they would age and die like normal sims, and then I noticed that she was gone, no longer in the relationships panel, etc. I had my sim hire a new butler, and then I heard the ghost music. I cannot find the ghost anywhere on the lot, but I figure that it has to be the missing butler, right? Any ideas?

Offline Glic2000

• Townie
Re: Disappearing Butler
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:19:25 AM »
I've heard a few people mention a bug where 50 butlers show up at their home!   So, suffice to say, the butlers may have a few bugs to iron out yet.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »
I am on my third butler, they just seem to vanish.  I like having them and I gave them a nice room, which I don't think it matters anyway, so I would say there is a couple of bugs associated with the butlers.  So far, so good on this one.  They do read alot, but I think because when they get done, that is all they have to do.  They don't watch tv, I noticed. :D
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
Has anybody else heard the ghost music at night after a butler disappears? That's the part that is throwing me off the most. It is obvious that she died, but I have no urn or tombstone to remove, and no ghost. Just the music.

I would *like* for them to stay with the family, age and die like normal sims, but I somehow doubt that is currently the case. Definitely looking forward to the patch!

Offline DLSpurlock

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:41:57 PM »
I think I know what's causing the butler's to die. I was on the lot when the one my sim hired electrocuted herself trying to repair a broken dryer. She obviously did not have the Handy Trait or a high enough level ...

A moment of silence for Camille please ...

Okay gotta call for another Butler.

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »
After she died, what happened to her? Did you get an urn and a ghost, or just the ghost music? Nothing?

I think I saw Valerie repairing the dishwasher. That had to have been it :(

Offline DLSpurlock

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »
Holy Cowplant! My sim just lost another butler to electrocution! Talk being hard on butlers!

Grim shows up and the whole dying animation sequence plays out and the urn disappears like it would on a public lot.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
Did the screen flash to the death? Mine didn't. The ghost music has stopped too.

Offline DLSpurlock

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »
Yes, and my sim rushed to the scene both times.

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 09:45:11 PM »
Yeah, I didn't get that. But I also didn't get it when one of my sims went into labor this game session. The disappearing butler was on the previous game session, so it looks like it's a bug with the software, not something temporary. I am having a lot of weird problems with this game, but none so disruptive as to cause me to start over.

Offline ik

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:02:13 AM »
My butler that had disappeared turned up again all safe and sound when my sim tried to call friends for a party. He had been walking around town for a few days and changed clothes somewhere along the line. Looking back I am not sure if he had really disappeared from my sims friends list or if I just did not notice him due to the fact that his thumbnail picture had changed with the new outfit. Anyway, he came to the house for the party (the sim calling had the legendary host ltr), then stayed and started doing his job again. The only downside to this was that the party never ended because he was one of the guests ::) . In the end I dismissed him and hired a new butler. I hope I will have more luck with this one.

Andrew

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
I think the butlers leave because you don't socialize with them. I tested my theory with my legacy family, and it worked. My whole family became good friends with the butler, and he hasn't left yet. The only downside is he doesn't bathe...

Offline IloveLlamas

• Llama Wrangler
  • Llamas spit on me once.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Yeah I have this glitch on my laptop. But on my desktop he dies grim shows end of story. Wound Why?

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
I just had the opposite happen.  I could not get rid of my butler.  Finally after the third time firing him, I think he left.  After I spoke to him, the refrigerator door opened and then the oven door opened, like someone put something in and it kept opening like they are checking the food and then it happened again and there was no one there.  It didn't happen anymore after that, so I guess whoever or whatever left.  Strange.  He was always fixing food and I had to fire him.  Kind of annoying to have everyone stop what they are doing, hungry or not and go eat, especially when you have seven people in the household.  Oh well, he is gone and now roaming around downtown, lol. :)

Leto85

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
Well, I've read that you have to be nice to your butler otherwise he or she will eventually leave. That this is not true can I make up out of the fact that I once made my sim fall in love with his butler and she devided the day in working and woohooing up my sim at night, which she didn't even charged him for and than, just at once, poof, and gone was my butler.
And yes, they still are having a love interest relationship according to his list of people he knows and I can asure you that she was the only one for him but she still needed to vanish?
Woman..., how can I ever understand them in real life while they are already unpredicatble when they're virtual? :(

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »
Leto, you are so funny and I meant that in a nice way.  I had a sim marry my butler and turned them all into vampires, what a fun family to play.  I guess with this happening to so many people, it might be a glitch, not sure.  I have mine be friends with the family and then leave and had it happen the other way too.  Some butlers have pretty good traits that are maxed out, mine had handy and cooking maxed, imagine that, lol. ;D

Leto85

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 06:00:58 PM »
Maxing cooking and handiness is indeed very nice. But you sound like your butler could have maxed out more or other skills than that, or did I've read your post wrong? If you mean that when they have handy trait as well as natural cook, than that makes it even more better indeed.

Thanks for the compliment though. I am feeling better now. Although I am still busy understanding you (you = woman), guessing if I've read your post right or wrong.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »
It is always nice when you meet an NPC sim and decide to move them in, that they have some skills maxed out.  Just like some of the sims in Barnacle Bay have good jobs and alot of skills already, which I thought was a nice change.  I guess butlers are just fickle people, meaning they are probably picky and they are ready to move on. :)

Offline Dreamweaver

• Occult
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 12:59:51 AM »
My butler disappeared shortly after the twins hit the toddler stage. Funny part to that story is that he showed up uninvited to thier birthday party and after the party was over started working again! He went to old habit of flirting with the lady of the house so I had the husband fire him and went back to a maid.

Frey

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 09:47:41 PM »
Well my sim was best friends with her butler and she left anyway. I didn't even notice when she left... the sim bust have been working or around town. She had stayed exactly for one week so first I thought she had taken a day off or something, but she never came back. I think she never charged me for the week's work either... not that I'm complaining.

Offline skybaker

• Townie
The butler never appear
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »
My sims called for a butler but no one come to her house. The house only has two sims and one simbot.
Clicking on a empty bed, the option "Set as Butler Jodi's Bed" appeared. But no one sleep here.
My sims can't employ another Butler due to the old one is still employed.
Now I realize playing the Sims 3 on Mac is playing the game of installation and uninstallation...

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
Re: The butler never appear
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »
This has happened to quite a few people. But there is already a thread about this similar topic.
Disappearing Butler Thread

Have you tried calling him/her? or hiring another one?

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 12:00:14 AM »
I was having such good luck with my butler and poof, gone.  He is one lucky butler, he still asks for his weekly pay.  The nerve, lol. :)

Offline skybaker

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 01:18:19 PM »
I found that my new butler arrived and then left the house immediately. However, my sim can still chat with him even or ask for advice etc. Except asking him to cook, he continue his journey by walking.
Then I chased him for a long distance. His destination is the Movie Studio. But he was not looking for the celebrities and only stood here. My sim can still have interaction with him. Similarly, except asking him to cook, he didn't have any response to this.
He was dismissed finally. I hope the next butler will do the job properly.
Now I realize playing the Sims 3 on Mac is playing the game of installation and uninstallation...

Offline AmeliaAnne

• Llama Wrangler
  • Current legacy heir, Una
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 09:13:02 PM »
I had this happen - Logan just vanished - now I have a lady name Joline. I don't mind except the part that was mentioned above - she cooks and cooks and cooks. And everyone RUSHES to the food, unless they're doing something else. I'm going to have fat sims if she keeps this up! Oh well, she has her own uses. If it gets too annoying, I'll fire her and go to a maid...

Offline Musenapper

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »
I was wondering about this had the same thing happen last night

Everything was going great though the unnecessary cooking was annoying.  A few days go by and poof he's gone not a trace but still in the relationship panel but otherwise gone.  Then at night I hear ghost sound effects.  I figured it was one of the family ghosts but couldn't find them and no tombstone or urn was ever found for the Butler, I'l lhave to check the mausoleum.

I had another glitch happen too that may or may not have been connected.  My whole family suddenly started acting like they had no free will.  They would literally stand around doing nothing for hours unless i gave them something to do.  I saved and loaded and they were fine again that was when I noticed that I hadn't seen the butler in a while.

Zetshia

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 06:30:07 AM »
My butler never appeared in the first place. I used the phone to hire him, assigned him a bed and paid him, but he never came. I can't hire another butler because I can't fire the first because my sims never met him.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
Re: The butler never appear
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »
I am merging 'The butler never appear' thread with the 'Disappearing Butler' Thread
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Offline Firestaar1

• Nooboo
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
I'm having the same problem, my butlers will show up serve a few days then disappear, and I can't locate them again, I have to get their relationship down so the butler will quit before I can hire a new one.

I can only hope that they'll fix the butlers in a future patch

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »
I hired a butler quite a few Sims weeks back.  My family consisted of two adults, a teenage boy and a female child about ready to age up. We made him his own room with an expensive bed along with a sitting room and his personal TV but he never once showed up.   My family chatted with him on the phone numerous times and they all became good friends, but I have yet to 'see' him.  He even takes his pay every week - definitely not a good employee.   

The children grew up and the boy married and left the family.  The daughter married but decided to live at home with her parents.  After another few Sim weeks, the daughter had a baby and the crazy old butler finally showed up  :o.  Good thing his room was still there.

I have a feeling that the butlers will only serve families with babies and toddlers.  He has been living with the family now for one Sim week.  Very strange  ;D.

Ripster3859

Another butler glitch
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 09:27:29 PM »
My home in sunset valley had a butler. The butler disappearing thing happened again, but this time, it still says that my butler is employed and since you cannot dismiss them over the phone, I don't have a butler and can't hire a new one! Help!

Offline Naga

• Top Secret
  • Immortal
Re: Another butler glitch
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
Try using the cheat resetSim. If you don't know how to do it, or for anyone else reading who doesn't know, this is how it goes:

Hold Ctrl+Shift+C;
Type in resetSim Firstname Lastname; (If the butler's name is Butler McButler, it would go resetSim Butler McButler
Press Enter.
-Optional-
Find the butler;
Open the console with ctrl+shift+C again;
Type in testingcheatsenabled true ;
Press Enter;
Hold Shift and left-click the butler;
Click "Object.." and then "Delete".

Butler-be-gone.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Another butler glitch
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 11:37:59 PM »
This doesn't need to be a new topic.  I'm merging it with the existing Disappearing Butler topic.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Ripster3859

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
what do you mean by optional?

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
what do you mean by optional?

She means you can try to take care of the problem either way. 

1)
Hold Ctrl+Shift+C;
Type in resetSim Firstname Lastname; (If the butler's name is Butler McButler, it would go resetSim Butler McButler)
Press Enter.

2) 
Find the butler;
Open the console with ctrl+shift+C again;
Type in testingcheatsenabled true ;
Press Enter;
Hold Shift and left-click the butler;
Click "Object.." and then "Delete".

originalsim

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
My current one didn't show up until 3 days after I'd hired her. Now that she's arrived she's pretty well behaved. I currently only have one YA sim in the house so I don't think they need babies or toddlers.

beanutz

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 06:47:21 AM »
My Sim hired butler Hollie and she never showed up. I tried to get her to visit and she said whe was always busy at work. This is silly as she should have been working for my Sims.I wanted to sack her but I cannot as she is never there. I did get them to meet in a park so I thought I might try to get my Sim to befriend her and then kill her?  :o

Offline Monolito

• Townie
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
My butler doesn't show up either. My maid won't clean the house. She just stands in 1 spot for half the day and shouts at my 4-star celebrity mummy. I don't know if she's scared or delighted to see him. What's up with this game? I've got LN as the latest expansion.

originalsim

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 11:55:58 PM »
hehe! My newest butler spent all his spare time going from bar to bar in my house drinking all my booze for a couple weeks, then completely disappeared for like 3 days (presumably on a bender) then came back and slept for a full 24 hours. I think I should get him some help! Is there Sims AA? lol.  :D

PodiumPolisher

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 09:17:24 PM »
On day 1 of being hired, my butler made the bed, then sat in a chair outside for 6+ hours.  When my superstar came home from guitar-ing, he asked for dinner, then the butler just went poof.  I had to build a whole new home design for that guy's bed!  >:(

Offline Banksia

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 02:05:30 AM »
This whole thread just made me laugh. 
Talk about troubles with "the staff".     
When is the worker's point of view ever going to be known?  Maybe they were introverted and their over friendly employers were intrusive. 
Maybe they got sick of repairing things just to have them broken again. 
Or got offended because they slaved for hours over the cooking and people gobbled it down without saying thank-you. 
Not to mention the whole harrassment of being sought after as a potential spouse.   

I think they probably have good reasons for running away!

Offline rpnecroranger

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
well I had this.... and Im just gonna post what happened...

2 days after the dissappearance the Grim reapper appeared.... my cow plant ate him XD

nice milk tho

Leto85

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
This whole thread just made me laugh.
Talk about troubles with "the staff".     
When is the worker's point of view ever going to be known?  Maybe they were introverted and their over friendly employers were intrusive.
Maybe they got sick of repairing things just to have them broken again.
Or got offended because they slaved for hours over the cooking and people gobbled it down without saying thank-you.
Not to mention the whole harrassment of being sought after as a potential spouse.   

I think they probably have good reasons for running away!

Haha! Most likey your butler will leave if you won't give him enough attention.

Offline CindyLew

• Nooboo
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 06:17:37 PM »

Haha! My females always marry their male bulters...they seem to be quite available. rofl

I was advised by a pop-up to start a new thread...but why? It has to do with this topic and it would eventually be moved here. lol. :P

I signed up for this forum just to share this story...It's turning out to be a quite tragic one :(

I hired a butler after firing 1 (they must have traded stories on how i neglected them..haha)

This butler was not doing her job, she was playing in the pool etc when there was so much work to be done, but i let it slide....She eventually quit and i hired her back (mistake #1) A few days later i noticed the laundry piling up and the house was a mess, so i tried to hire a new butler, said i still had 1, so i looked everywhere for her, couldn't find her. So i found her in my friends list and called and invited her over, she came over, hijacked food, slept in a lounge chair on my bedroom balcony and showered in my teenage sons bathroom (not in front of him...Thank Goodness) and eventually left again. While she was at my house i clicked on her numerous times to try to get an interaction to have her clean etc, but to no avail...So i tried the only thing i could think of...MOVE! (mistake #2).

I found a big house to house my brood, but didn't think to check to see if my horse would be ok there, i thought i would move there and a few minutes later move back to my old house.....NOPE! My horse couldn't enter the yard, so it wouldn't complete the move :( .........................so here i have a set of twin toddlers screaming for sleep and i couldn't get into buy mode to buy them a crib,so i thought...OH! I can age them up!!.....Nope! still can't get into buy mode :( The only thing left to do is to put my foal up for adoption ...I did, but so far it is taking forever for them to come pick the foal up...My family is falling apart in the meantime...Oh! and did i mention that i placed a house that i downloaded from the exchange (that's where we moved to) It had no stairs to the second and 3rd floors...Guess what's on the 2nd and 3rd floors...Beds...Yup! I have little simmies passing out all over the place...Sad Sad Sad....I am gonna get back to my little sad saga now and i will let you know how it turns out....Moral of the story is....Kill the butler next time :@

Well sad but true..........I ended up having to delete my family :( I deleted the horse and the dog and i still couldn't move...so i had no choice but to delete the whole game. Otherwise the whole family (6 of them) would be sleeping on couches and lounge chairs and sharing 1 bathroom (shudders). :o

Offline DeNile

• Occult
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 11:39:36 PM »
So I was trying to figure out the disappearing butler in my game, and I think I found a solution. When you assign a bed to a butler, you have to reassign it every couple of days - a week maximum, or else they disappear. So far I've kept a butler for four in-game weeks this way. :)
The Pendragon Randomacy. My new, and hopefully long-term, story for Carl's forum. Following Anita Pendragon: The Runaway.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2012, 03:03:06 AM »
Good idea. I'll try it out next time I have one.

Offline codeb24

• Nooboo
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »
Just wanna share my exp about butlers. When i do "hold autograph sessions" i came back to my home and butler was missing then i found out that my butler went to the venue too, but not to ask for autograph but to stand all day. Maybe some of you may experience this, thanks.

Offline h34dbug

• Nooboo
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
Just wanna share my exp about butlers. When i do "hold autograph sessions" i came back to my home and butler was missing then i found out that my butler went to the venue too, but not to ask for autograph but to stand all day. Maybe some of you may experience this, thanks.

haha! which world are you playing? is it sunlit tides? this happened to me too. my butler go out of the house and i followed her until she reaches the starfish sands playgroud. there, she sit, make a drink, clean other sims mess. she even had a fight with this mail girl. one time she was sleeping in the lounge and a mail girl approach her and slapped her several times. very weird. i even try to make her cook for my sims but nothing happen. i think she loves that place. LOL

Leto85

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 08:00:33 PM »

haha! which world are you playing? is it sunlit tides? this happened to me too. my butler go out of the house and i followed her until she reaches the starfish sands playgroud. there, she sit, make a drink, clean other sims mess. she even had a fight with this mail girl. one time she was sleeping in the lounge and a mail girl approach her and slapped her several times. very weird. i even try to make her cook for my sims but nothing happen. i think she loves that place. LOL

Wow, that is indeed both interesting as weird. Could you fire her to hire a new butler or hire her again?

Offline Margie92

• Nooboo
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »
My butler has disapeard I can call her and when I try to invite her over she says that she is at work but she isn't!!! she also continues to take her paycheck every week what should I do?? I also tried to call her from the mailbox with the NPC aand NOTHING!!!

Offline Beatles264

• Nooboo
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 08:23:06 PM »
I think DENILE is on the right track with the bed assignment.  My butler disappeared. I called him, he said he was working. I forced NPC, nuthin'.  I checked his bed, it was no longer owned by the butler.  I reassigned his bed to him, BAM!  He comes home. 

anything