Author Topic: What to do (and where to go) to get rare books?  (Read 49200 times)

Leto85

Re: What to do (and where to go) to get rare books?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 06:17:14 AM »
Hi,

Yesterday I found a book name Llama Rights, in the catacombs. You should try exploring the catacombs as there are many bonus objects, including the books.

Thank you very much for that. Totally forgotten the catacombs. Although I've added it to the list, isn't Llama Rights a book you also can buy at the bookstore? See, I'm mostly looking for rare books, books you can't just buy somewhere else than doing a particular thing or going to particular places.

@ Anushka: That link is very, VERY that kind of thing I was looking for! Seems highly that all is there.
Though, I let this topic not locked, for in case someone will find a book that isn't mentioned in that list.

Priyansh

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 06:31:45 AM »
Thank you very much for that. Totally forgotten the catacombs. Although I've added it to the list, isn't Llama Rights a book you also can buy at the bookstore? See, I'm mostly looking for rare books, books you can't just buy somewhere else than doing a particular thing or going to particular places.

@ Anushka: That link is very, VERY that kind of thing I was looking for! Seems highly that all is there.
Though, I let this topic not locked, for in case someone will find a book that isn't mentioned in that list.

You are welcome. Also, try looking in the lonely places. In Riverview, I have seen many rare things as collectibles. You can also try to choose different options from opportunities: Yesterday I went to restaurant. The cook didn't serve a good meal, and there was option to leave the restaurant or continue eating. I chose eating. My sim became nauseas. The cook saw me and gave me five excellent quality apples to eat or plant :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 03:41:45 AM »
I think I found one not listed anywhere ;D

My dynasty founder got the opportunity at Science Facility to "deworm" worm holes that were out of control (no graphic was visible around Science facility like id does for electric storm etc) and as a reward he got a book called "New Ice Age". It was a skill opp for handiness (beside handiness he had athletic and sculpting, so it is definitely handiness). He was firefighter, but there are no opps for professions, and this one was in skill slot.

Leto85

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 03:50:07 AM »
Funny he got the book that way Anushka. But it is a book you also can get through timetraveling. As you can see on the design of the cover: it's a book from the future.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 04:51:27 AM »
I assumed that it was from Future, and I think I heard about it earlier, but I didn't find it listed so I posted it here. I was surprised too, first time that happen to me. But it was the Science experiment with worm holes that are in theory usable for time traveling ;)

Offline Ellenser

• Future Physicist
  • Townie
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 07:41:12 AM »
Well, if you didn't already know; if you're sim is a bookworm, you can sign up for the bookclub via computer for $250 total and you'll receive one book every week. I've found a lot of these books to be quite rare that usually you can only achieve through career opportunities/advancement. At the same time, it takes a while to really get a substantial amount of them as you only get one book per week, and it's not always a rare one.
Hi!

Leto85

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 01:56:43 PM »
Well, if you didn't already know; if you're sim is a bookworm, you can sign up for the bookclub via computer for $250 total and you'll receive one book every week. I've found a lot of these books to be quite rare that usually you can only achieve through career opportunities/advancement. At the same time, it takes a while to really get a substantial amount of them as you only get one book per week, and it's not always a rare one.

If you don't receive getting the same books over and over again this is quite a good way to 'catch them all' although indeed timeconsuming. But that you can get also career oppertunity books I didn't know about. Thanks.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 04:44:53 AM »
Yesterday I got another book from future that is not listed in that link, so eventually we should make that complete list of non buyable books here. I am on that at this moment, but can't get the opportunity in Culinary Career - Secrets of The Master Chef. With additional research it was brought to my knowledge that our member Teresa listed that opportunity in her requirements for her finished immortal dynasty, so if she or anyone else can tell me which level of culinary career your Sim was when that opportunity appeared, I would really appretiate it.

For now, it is confirmed that these careers are spawning opportunities with special books:

-Professional Sport
-Business
-Criminal
-Culinary
-Journalism
-Law
-Medical
-Military
-Music
-Political
-Science

Plus one book from school, and those from time traveling machine and catacombs. I am assuming that acting/director might also provide with some special books, as well as education career.

Also, I remember that once I had random townie join the household and in their inventory I find the book "Four Quarters of the Earth" or something like that.

If anyone have more information about rare non buyable books, please share it here.
Thank you.

Leto85

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:13 AM »
Yesterday I got another book from future that is not listed in that link, so eventually we should make that complete list of non buyable books here. I am on that at this moment, but can't get the opportunity in Culinary Career - Secrets of The Master Chef. With additional research it was brought to my knowledge that our member Teresa listed that opportunity in her requirements for her finished immortal dynasty, so if she or anyone else can tell me which level of culinary career your Sim was when that opportunity appeared, I would really appretiate it.

For now, it is confirmed that these careers are spawning opportunities with special books:

-Professional Sport
-Business
-Criminal
-Culinary
-Journalism
-Law
-Medical
-Military
-Music
-Political
-Science

Plus one book from school, and those from time traveling machine and catacombs. I am assuming that acting/director might also provide with some special books, as well as education career.

Also, I remember that once I had random townie join the household and in their inventory I find the book "Four Quarters of the Earth" or something like that.

If anyone have more information about rare non buyable books, please share it here.
Thank you.

I am quite suire the book is called 'Four Corners of the Earth' but I can be wrong.
After testing some years ago I've noticed that the books that come with careers will not be transportable to another household. That means that they are only usefull to collect in your house in your save file. I hope this has been changed in the meantime, as it means that all sims can read these books.
Maybe you can proof me wrong Ana? I do hope so. :)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 04:56:23 AM »
Leto, there is a master list of books that contains every book ingame, I think. It's a very long list though, since it also contains information about length, author, career boosts, etc. Do you want me to PM it to you? (I'd have to send it in it's raw format as used in the game, since I wouldn't have the time tonight to decode it.)

thesweetestpea

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 04:58:15 AM »
The book club can also give rare books. I received one from it which isn't on the buyable list, with a navy blue cover. The title roughly translates to Advanced Methods of Negotiating. I think it may be the Advanced Whistle Techniques book from the Law Enforcement opportunity, but the name doesn't seem very similar.

Edit: Seabody, where does one find this master list?

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 05:04:24 AM »
Edit: Seabody, where does one find this master list?

In the code. :) I can give you the Instance ID if you have s3pe.

thesweetestpea

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 05:05:42 AM »
In the code. :) I can give you the Instance ID if you have s3pe.

That's what I meant. Please do, thank you. :)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 05:06:59 AM »
Oops, sorry. Here it is. :) 0xC2D9D4BE5390D589

Leto85

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 05:09:32 AM »
Oops, sorry. Here it is. :) 0xC2D9D4BE5390D589

Joining this hackers club: What can we do with this code Seabody?