Author Topic: What to do (and where to go) to get rare books?  (Read 49201 times)

Leto85

What to do (and where to go) to get rare books?
« on: December 18, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »
I already know it for those:

Careers
Politics
Medical
Science

Others
Time machine
Consignment store
Catacombs

Also am I wondering why when you start the medical career the books you reseive don't start with number one, but somewhere in 20 or so?

I'm asking this because I like to collect books.

EDIT:
Thanks to Anushka, this link provides almost every book you can find ingame. If whoever of you will find a book not listed there, you will probably the first on earth who has find it. ;)
http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Books#Career_Specific_Books

EDIT (by Seabody):
And an up to date list of all books in game, up to and including ITF, is available here, on our very own forum.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
Re: What to do (and where to go) to get rare books?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:02:45 PM »
You can get a book from a school opportunity, something like "Demand Excellence or you'll get Meritocracy".
Formerly Simstar3

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:37:51 PM »
You can get a book from a school opportunity, something like "Demand Excellence or you'll get Meritocracy".

You are talking about the career, right?

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »
Simstar is right, teens can get the opportunity to read a book called "Demand Excellence or Expect Mediocrity" while in school to improve their grades.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Leto85

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 07:15:55 AM »
Right, I've actually never got that oppertunitie. Added it to the list now, thanks Simstar.

Offline Jowkoul

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 03:47:51 AM »
I once got a book entitled "Manifest of a Free SimBot" while traveling in time, I read the book, and it costed around 1700 simoleons! It was gray and was a lil bit long.
About the career books, with the help of testingcheatsenabled true you can shift+click on the career building your sim is working in and get an option to force opportunity. Once this is done, an opportunity will pop up. At each level of the corresponding career there is a particular book, which means 10 different books for such careers, as Science, Medical, Political. For the school opportunity to pop up, you'll have to wait  ;)
Just got the 'Death of Michael Jackson' moodlet, applies for 14 days, -200 mood

Leto85

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 04:02:41 AM »
Good info Jowkoul. Thank you very much. Are there more jobs where you aware of that pops up book oppertunities beside Science, Medical, Political and School? I could have overlooked something.

And yes, the timetraveling books are quite interesting. My personal favorite is To Hunt or To Gather. Haha, an important changing point in the history of mankind.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 04:20:21 AM »
I think most of the rabbit hole careers have book opportunities.  I know Sports and Law Enforcement have them.  I don't recall their names, though.  The ones in your original post, Leto, from the Medical career with the unusual numbers are research journals for your Sim to read every day.  Each day your Sim goes to work, a different journal appears in the inventory.  There's never more than one at a time.  It's just the current journal for your Sim to read.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Lyrrad

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 04:23:58 AM »
I have received a book from the criminal career, I don't have the game anymore so I cannot check the title.  I also got a book from an opportunity that I got over the phone, next time I play I will try and remember to check the title.

Offline Jowkoul

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 04:39:48 AM »
@Leto85 - thank you very much for finding my research good one  :D! I've worked really hard on that family but it got destroyed by mods and bad CC. I just remembered! You can get opportunities in the Music career too! I got 4 opportunities so far for my sim in the Rock career track! One got me a book about a play or cats, I don't remember the name, sorry. The second was at level 9 and was about how to become from a pop icon a rock star... The third opp is the most common, it gets you a book called "Swimming in the Sea of Fans". Another one is called "Diamonds in the Rough", which you get if your sim is a Music Talent Scout. There is also an odd one which is a skill opp and gets you a master track to perform!  ;) Also you might get some books from the Journalism career, one is called "Avoiding Plagiarism", the other one is the "Editor's Article" and the last one I know is "Reading for Proof". Also, if you're interested in books and if your sim is a bookworm, register at the book club via the laptop or PC (I mean in the Sims 3, not in real life) for a fee of 250$ and you will get free books every week! When you check the mail, once your sim gets a book, a message will pop up saying 'Yay! You got books from the book club!' LOL  ;)

@Pam - yes, sometimes your sim might get an opportunity from a rabbit hole to get a book or even donate books (this one you get from the City Hall, if you're a high-level writer! it asks you to donate 3 of your books in the City Hall!)

Leto85

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »
@Pam - yes, sometimes your sim might get an opportunity from a rabbit hole to get a book or even donate books (this one you get from the City Hall, if you're a high-level writer! it asks you to donate 3 of your books in the City Hall!)

Donating books I thought only works with books written by your sims. Can you confirm this?

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »
Sometimes you can also get it from marrying a rich spouse. Sadly, I can't remember what the name was! I know it was worth over 1,000 though.

Offline Jowkoul

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »
Donating books I thought only works with books written by your sims. Can you confirm this?

Yes, right, donating books works only with books written by yourself, not bought or found.

Priyansh

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 02:32:50 AM »
Hi,

Yesterday I found a book name Llama Rights, in the catacombs. You should try exploring the catacombs as there are many bonus objects, including the books.