Author Topic: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (Nov 15)  (Read 117122 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
THE WISEWOMAN OF FORGOTTEN HOLLOW

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
My name is Willow Wisely, and I am not a witch, although some have called me that. I merely am a student of herbalism and fortunate enough to inhabit a property in Forgotten Hollow that has magical qualities. I also enjoy interfering in the lives of my fellow Sims -- but only for their own good.

My teacher is the renowned hermit Rachel.

I met Rachel in Granite Falls. I was trying to escape from an over-friendly bear.

Running through the woods, I came across a small opening almost entirely obscured by brambles. That would make a good hiding place, I thought.

Inside, I seemed to be surrounded by branches. It didn't matter which way I moved, leaves and branches were in my way. Panic-stricken, I pushed them aside, and found my way to Rachel.

When I began studying with her, she asked what I wanted in life.
"Lots of rainbows," I answered. Rachel merely frowned.

"Waterfalls?" I said, less certainly.
"Those are pleasant things to want," she said, "but I only take on students who have a strong desire to help others. If you want to become my student, you need to have a clear idea of which Sims you want to help. You don't really need my assistance to learn herbalism, you know. Just gather the right plants, and you can learn almost everything on your own."

Hardly any plants were ripe yet, but I managed to find a few strawberries. More important, I figured out what type of Sims I wanted to assist.

"Strawberries aid in producing female offspring," Rachel told me. "For males, you'll need carrots. They aren't in season yet, but you can buy the seeds. Have you had any ideas?"

"I want to help Sims who are just beginning a legacy," I said. "And I also want to help those who want to change their nature. Not everyone who is born evil wants to stay that way."

"Excellent goals," said Rachel, "and your house in Forgotten Hollow is perfectly situated.

"You can place a wishing well on the lot -- I'd advise adding a mirror for clients who need to calm down.

"The sprites won't do much, but they're pretty.

"And you'll be close to a fishing spot that does have a waterfall. Rainbows you might have to find on your own."

Rachel gave me the wherewithal to build a kitchen in which I could craft herbal remedies.

I was also able to provide a guest room for adults...

...and a place for Sims who had to be regressed to childhood to work on their characters.

"Your first legacy family should arrive soon," said Rachel. "And I also know of a very unhappy Sim that you can visit. He might be a little challenging, but it is probably best for you to start with someone difficult, just to see what you can manage."

My first legacy family was THE first family -- the Newbies (more about them later). And my first Sim who wanted to change was Vladislaus Straud IV. Easy peasy, right?
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:52:33 PM »
TABLE OF CONTENTS

The Newbies 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Willow Wisely 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,
The Calientes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
The Landgraabs 1, 2. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
The Curious Brothers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
The Gotharios 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
The Strauds 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
The Zests 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
The Cottoneyes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
The Lee-Scotts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
The Heckings 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: Some chapters contain updates on more than one family, e.g., The Gotharios and Strauds. Therefore, all the families in a chapter will have a link to it.

Generation 2 Table of Contents
Generation 3 Table of Contents
Generation 4 Table of Contents

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »
FOUNDERS' STATISTICS

Bob and Betty Newbie
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Total: 100 pts

Katrina Caliente and J Huntington III
Total: 100pts

Malcolm and Morgan Landgraab

Pascal and Cosma Curious

Cassandra Goth and Don Lothario

Vladislaus Straud and Luna Villareal
Total = 100 pts

Johnny Zest and Candy Behr
Total = 100 pts

Hunter and Summer Cottoneye

Liberty and Travis Lee-Scott

Brent and Brant Hecking

Generation 2 Statistics
Generation 3 Statistics

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »
The Newbies 1

I was very excited to meet the Newbies, the first Sim family that many people had encountered. They were thrilled with their new residence.

"No blue card table," Betty gushed, "and such a pretty setting."
"I'm surprised you decided on Newcrest," I said. "I would have thought you'd want to be in Willow Creek, near the Goths."
Bob made a face, and Betty laughed. "We didn't exactly move in the same social circles as the Goths," she said.
"Bella was all right, but Mortimer..." put in Bob.
Betty frowned at him, and I realized that Bella might not be the most favorable topic of conversation.
"There are many other places to live besides Willow Creek," I said. "Why did you choose Newcrest?"
"It reminds us of home," said Bob.

"And we really like being so close to the trolley line," said Betty.
"You still have to go through a loading screen to go anywhere," I reminded them.
"Yeah, but it's free now," said Bob. "Before you had to pay 50 simoleons to take a taxi."

"Speaking of money..." I handed Bob a gift of 10,000 simoleons. "An anonymous donor is making this gift possible for all new legacy founders."

Since I had brought up the subject of legacies, I went ahead to acquaint them with the rules:
The Watcher would control only one Sim in the household, but she would pay attention to all the Sims whenever the household had gained 10 points. Points would accumulate as follows:
Their aspirations couldn't be changed until they were completed, and the designated skill had to be maxed before a new designated skill was chosen. Their children had to be given traits according to the day on which their birthday fell, going by the following calendar:

"Have you thought about what skills you'd like to work on, and what jobs you'd like to take?" I asked.
"There are so many options," said Betty. "I love music, so I guess I'll become an entertainer, but I don't know which instrument to play. I guess the violin -- I never had a chance to learn that."
Bob and I looked at each other. "Good time to walk the dog," I said.
Bob wanted to become a veterinarian once he had enough money to open a clinic.
I gave them a list of traits that they could pick for their lot. They weren't required to pick anything negative, so they chose Homey, Great Acoustics, and Training Ground.

As I left, Betty was beginning to practice the violin.

Bob was making friends with Buddy and getting ready to take him for a walk.

It wasn't long before the two of them were ready to add to the family.

Betty made the unhappy discovery that giving birth was more difficult now, but at least she didn't have to produce a bassinet in addition to the baby.

Bob was totally freaked out about the whole process.

But he could relax -- Betty had the situation well in hand.

They named their little daughter Barbara, Babs for short.

I heard her happy gurgles as I walked by their house in Newcrest. It was near the bowling alley, something Bob told me they were very happy about.

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »
Oh man, this brings back memories.  The Newbies are looking good.

I really like your premise for this story (or stories).  What a clever way to write about the lives of multiple sims!  I'm already trying to figure out what the Wisewoman will do with Vlad.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 02:09:55 PM »
Thanks! I've decided not to wait for witches, but to use the herbalism skill and some other things. Vlad's chapter is coming up soon.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 08:05:38 AM »
Willow Wisely 2

"I have this recurring nightmare," Count Vladislaus Straud the Fourth told me. "I am approaching this mansion. It is not quite as large as my mansion, but a respectable size, worthy of my lineage.

"Inside, I find a beautiful maiden settling down to a sleep of innocent dreams.

"I awaken her, and she comes downstairs with me, wholly trusting and not the least afraid, friendly even.

"But there is a momentary trace of fear in her eyes when I place her under my power and she realizes that she cannot escape.

"I slake my terrible thirst, sinking my teeth into the neck of this beautiful creature.

"Pulling away, the sight of the wound that I have given this harmless, innocent being fills me with so much shame, so much horror..."

Vladislaus sobbed uncontrollably for a while. "I can't continue as a vampire," he said. "This has only been a dream, but what if I meet the woman some night when an overpowering thirst is upon me? What if the dream becomes a reality?"
"You might --"
"Don't tell me that I could turn her into a vampire," he said angrily. "Yes, I have the power, but she would hate me forever if I made her a monster like myself. Is it true that you know the cure for vampirism?"
"I don't know the cure, but I know that it exists," I told him, "and I believe it can be found in the pages of one of my books."

Vladislaus studied in my house for several days, growing more and more frustrated. "I know all this stuff," he told me crossly, why do I have to read it again?"
"To prepare your mind for the cure when you find it," I said. "It's no good just reading the formula; you have to have the power to implement it."
He sighed. "I don't know whether it will do me any good to cure myself. I'll still be an ugly, evil, unlovable old  fellow fit for no one's company but my own, when I want to be my beauty's protector, champion, and knight in shining armor."
"I think I can do something about that," I said. "If you like, I can regress you to childhood. You'll retain your love of music, but you won't be evil and unsocial anymore."

With this hope, Vladislaus returned to his studies with a renewed vigor.

One evening he called out to me that he was attempting the cure.

He swallowed the potion...

His scream of agony brought me running downstairs. "I'm fine," he gasped. "But now is the time to take me back to childhood before I get too settled in this new form of existence."

Vladislaus did not change his personality completely. He was still an old-fashioned gentleman. "It's a pity there isn't an aristocratic trait," he told me, "I guess I'll have to settle for being a snob. And I'd like my other trait to be vegetarianism. Meat holds no appeal for me. As for my character, I'd like to develop good manners and emotional control."
"What about responsibility, empathy, and conflict resolution?" I asked.
"Let's not get carried away," he said. "I don't want to develop more empathy; I feel guilty enough as it is. And responsibility is for servants. I don't know about conflict resolution; I'm not used to considering anyone's wishes but my own."

As he left for school, I realized that Vladislaus might benefit from having a companion nearer his own age. My original plan had been to take in the Sims who needed me one by one, but it might be better to have several at a time.

Consequently, I added Malcolm Landgraab to the household. He couldn't stop being evil, but at least he didn't have to grow up to be dastardly. As for being a snob -- the girl at school that he had a crush on had told him that his family would never be as old as hers nor their property ever as large. Even if he could persuade the girl to marry him, Malcolm told me, his snobbishness would destroy any chance of happiness. So he moved in and tried to beat Vladislaus at voidcritters.

My other resident was Katrina Caliente. I had intended to add Nina, but Katrina intercepted me. Her daughters were always becoming dynasty and legacy spouses, she said, but no one wanted her because she was too old. She'd spent her entire life looking for love in all the wrong places, etc., and she wanted a second chance. This time around, she wouldn't be as angry, and she'd become an actress.

The three of them soon settled in. It worried me that Vladislaus couldn't gain any weight. His stomach still had difficulty processing food. I hoped it was something he'd grow out of, or maybe he was still adjusting from the vampire cure.

One morning he gave me a big hug when I came downstairs and thanked me for taking him in. That's the kind of moment you live for. You can't expect them to happen, of course, but the joy when they do occur is that much sweeter.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deme

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:40:14 AM »
What a cute framing device!

Also, it's interesting to see what you're doing with Vlad and them; I'll be curious to see how it plays out.
Stories In Progress:
The Avyan Immortal Dynasty

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 08:05:28 AM »
Thanks! I do like playing witches, and it occurred to me that rather than wait for Maxis to provide some, I had most of what I needed to make my own.

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »
That's quite an eclectic household!  It's nice to see Katrina get a chance, and Vlad as a child is kind of cute in a Gothic sort of way.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »
The Calientes 1

One evening when Katrina asked for my help with homework, I gave her some advice, too. "Homework help is a great way to become friends with someone," I said. "And you do want to become friends before getting romantically involved, don't you?"
"I don't know," said Katrina. "That doesn't seem possible for me. I'm, like, a 'love at first sight' kind of woman."
"And how well has that worked for you?" I asked. Katrina didn't have anything to say. "There are three eligible bachelors living over in Oasis Springs," I told her. "They're all older than you currently are, so it won't be possible for any romance to develop. Go do your homework there, and see what happens."

The first young man Katrina met was J Huntington III. "I'm not sure I'm the best person to help you," he said. "Math was never my strong point."

"That's okay," said Katrina. "If my homework is perfect, the teacher will know I had help. I just need to make fewer mistakes than usual."
By the time she finished, she and J were good friends.

"I think I'm ready to age up," she told me at breakfast.
"Not so fast," I said. "You want to develop some character, don't you?"
"I don't know," said Katrina. "J is really good-looking. If I don't grab him, that cute girl in his house will."
"Developing empathy would help you become a better actress," I said. "And the way to develop empathy is by doing volunteer work."

So Katrina spent Saturday at soup kitchens and nursing homes. Her manners took a hit when she dozed off while an elder was telling her about the days before computers, and her responsibility dropped when she put too much food in the soup at the soup kitchen, but her empathy steadily rose.

Early Sunday morning, she was ready to become a young adult.

It didn't take long for her to get J to agree to get married. I was much impressed, especially as J tends to be noncommittal.

I tucked a Simvarius violin in Katrina's backpack. If I'd realized how expensive land in Del Sol Valley was, I would have made it two. After buying their lot, she and J had enough for a cooler, a tent, and a bathroom, and that was about it.

I gave them some time to settle in before going for a visit. Katrina had a bunch of photographs to show me.

"The views around here are amazing," she gushed. "Even on a cloudy night, Del Sol Valley is gorgeous.

"And here it is at sunset," she continued. "I've been able to pick up some spare cash by selling pictures.

"Of course, what really sells is if you can get a shot of a celebrity. The tabloids will pay a lot for that."
"Are you sure that's a good idea?" I asked. "Sometimes celebrities don't like being photographed without their permission."

"I know," said Katrina. "She got back at me by having her picture appear in The National Simquirer with the caption, 'Judith Ward's New Boy-Toy?'

"But J assured me there wasn't anything in the story and I believe him.

"There are two pictures that will never appear anywhere," Katrina assured me. "This one of J...

"...And this one of the three of us."
I almost fell off my chair. "You had a baby?"

"Yes, and J was in quite a panic about it," she laughed.

The costume designer at DSV Studio was the first to notice she was pregnant, Katrina told me.

Luckily she was in a commercial where her looks didn't matter so much.

And later she was in one where they could pose her behind a ship's wheel. "I wish they wouldn't keep giving me brown hair," said Katrina, "but they say my flaming red hair is too memorable -- they want viewers to remember the product, not me."

Before I left, Katrina insisted that I meet Hugh. She says I'm his fairy godmother even though I am definitely not a fairy.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
The Landgraabs 1

I cannot say that I am happy about the way Malcolm has turned out. I feel that I have failed him. Perhaps if I had regressed him all the way back to toddlerhood? I had thought that we could keep his snobbishness and get rid of his evil tendencies, but it was not to be.

When he first arrived, he went straight for the doctor toy, and I thought that he might want to develop some empathy. But no -- Malcolm was briefly interested in becoming a doctor because they made lots of money. And he decided against the career because he doesn't like the sight of blood.

I think what worries me about Malcolm is that when he does do the right thing, it's for the wrong reason. You can understand it when someone does the wrong thing for the right reason -- like Katrina dozing off in the middle of someone's story that she was making an effort to listen to. But I don't think Malcolm developed a responsible character because he wanted to be helpful to people. Once he had the trait, he insisted upon being aged up to teen.

And then, when he found out that somehow this resulted in his having an F average at school (which I agree with him was most unfair), he wanted to become a young adult. So here he is -- evil, a genius, and ambitious. I very much fear it's a worse combination than what he would have gotten if I'd just left him alone.

He immediately went over to the Fyres' house and became friends with Morgan.

The next day, he invited her over so that she could become a young adult, too.

After that, Malcolm worked quickly, moving from flirtation...

...to proposal...

...to wedding.

And finally, to impending parenthood.

Also, Malcolm moved his parents into the household. I'd like to think it was because he had missed them while living with me...

...but I suspect the reason might have been the almost 300,000 simoleons they brought with them. Moira, I know, was a little taken aback to find them in her bedroom.

Malcolm built a small cottage for them on the property, and I do hope everyone will get along. One good thing is that there will be plenty of people to look after the baby, because I can't imagine Malcolm going out of his way to change diapers.
He plans to go into politics.

Back at home, Vlad has been moping around because Katrina and Malcolm have moved out, and he's "all alone."

He's begun dressing up as a bear, and only feeling happy when he's in his bear suit. I think a psychologist would say that he feels vulnerable now that he's not a vampire anymore.

One good thing is that he's able to eat a whole meal now without getting sick.

Vlad wants to be aged up as soon as possible, but he does see the wisdom of waiting until he's at least a B student. He doesn't want an F like Malcolm got.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »
The Curious Brothers 1

I was walking through Oasis Springs the other evening, wondering if I ought to interfere in anyone else's life considering how disappointed I was in Malcolm, when I noticed that the former Landgraab house appeared to be occupied. "I don't remember there being a telescope on the roof," I said. "I wonder..."

It had been a long time since I'd seen Pascal Curious. "What are you doing here?" I asked.
"We moved in a few days ago," he told me.
"But why here?"
"We fell in love with this house the moment we saw it -- all those lovely flat roofs. We could each have our own telescope if we wanted."

I followed him inside and met his adorable little daughter Cosma.

She lurched towards me with the awkwardness of someone who had just learned how to walk.
"It's amazing that she'll be able to visit Sixam some day," said Pascal. "And who knows? Maybe she'll meet her other parent. That could never have happened before."

I watched him read her to sleep, and then I had to use the bathroom. "Did Vicund and Lazlo come with you?" I asked.

Unbeknownst to me, Vidcund came and settled himself in the bathtub.

I was definitely shocked when I emerged.

"They're both here," said Pascal. "Lazlo wants to become a master chef, and Vidcund got a job in business.

"He's already met one of his co-workers, Jade Rosa.

"These days he wants to be a serial romantic, so he was excited to find that he was already working with one of his future conquests."

"I'm still a little surprised that you boys would have chosen Oasis Springs," I said. "I thought for sure you'd want to move to Strangerville."
"Well, finding a house with nice flat roofs already was a big factor," said Pascal, "but we also met someone who was just perfect for Strangerville. We didn't want to get in his way, so to speak."
"Really? Who?" I couldn't help asking.
"He made us promise not to tell," said Pascal. I still had lots of questions, but it was getting late. The Curious Brothers here in town -- I couldn't help wondering how Vidcund would fare as a serial romantic, and Lazlo as a chef. I hoped he would remember to wash his hands before cooking.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (March 29)
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 02:04:30 PM »
Someone perfect for Strangerville? Can't wait to see who it is--and see if my hunch is correct.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow -- Legacies in Rotation (March 29)
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 08:21:26 PM »
@reggiko, I have a suspicion that your hunch might be correct. More soon.