Author Topic: Where is the fire extinguisher when playing the Firefighter career?  (Read 13169 times)

SanBlasBobbie

I've played the Firefighter career three times so far, three different Sims, three different towns, and this last one after uninstalling the game from my laptop entirely, and then reinstalling and starting fresh; and in none of them have I been able to find the fire extinguisher. My firefighters are currently at level 1, level 6 and level 10.

I have maintained and upgraded the fire alarm (and goodness, those are all over the building, aren't they?) and I have maintained the upgraded the horsepower on the fire engine to level 3 (which does not show up in the Skill Journal for handiness, but oh well), but I absolutely have not been able to locate a fire extinguisher.

It is not in my personal inventory (what my kids and I call "in my pocket") and it's not in the family inventory.

If it helps, I have all expansions and 'stuff' packs. If this helps also, my other major glitches are: 1) I completed the Criminal career as Master Thief and did NOT get a golden fox statue (I have not yet tried Emperor of Evil to see if I get the red aura), and 2) I have the China-lag problem, which I have read about elsewhere. On the other hand, I completed the Culinary Career and I did get the Kelvin Minus-1 fridge. Also, if it helps, I don't use cheats or mods.

By the way, this is my first post. Thanks so much for any help! I want to do 100% of the upgrades for the Handiness trait and it's driving me crazy!  :D

Offline templesmom

• Townie
  • Happy Simming!
Re: Where is the fire extinguisher when playing the Firefighter career?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:56:23 PM »
Click on your sim and it should come up upgrade your extinguisher. It took me a bit to figure this out also. Wellcome to the forums!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

SanBlasBobbie

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »
Click on your sim and it should come up upgrade your extinguisher. It took me a bit to figure this out also. Wellcome to the forums!

I clicked on my Sim both when she was at home and when she was at work, and the only options are (clockwise starting from the top): Cell Phone, Change Outfit, Go to Community Pool, Go to Beach, Go the Gym, and Go to Park. Nothing about a fire extinguisher.

I've tried left-clicking, right-clicking, shift-clicking, and Ctrl-clicking. Still nothing.

I've looked at all the Cell Phone options and nothing there either.

I don't understand why 3 different Sims, in 2 different game installations, would all have the same problem. This is one of the reasons I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Offline Naga

• Top Secret
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
I've tried left-clicking, right-clicking, shift-clicking, and Ctrl-clicking. Still nothing.
I've looked at all the Cell Phone options and nothing there either.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but to laugh at that.

Trying to be helpful, now: did you make sure your sims had the Handy skill high enough? Are you sure you hadn't already upgraded it (can only upgrade once)? You might want to consider that many people have suffered from a glitch where they have to keep upgrading the extinguisher every time they load the game, although no one is known to not be able to upgrade it.

Leto85

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
Naga is right, it is because of the handyness skill. You probably have to work on that more SanBlasBobbie. Which level is your sim currently in?

Oh, and welcome to the forum of course. :) I haven't seen you around here before.

SanBlasBobbie

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »
I'm sorry, I couldn't help but to laugh at that.

Trying to be helpful, now: did you make sure your sims had the Handy skill high enough? Are you sure you hadn't already upgraded it (can only upgrade once)? You might want to consider that many people have suffered from a glitch where they have to keep upgrading the extinguisher every time they load the game, although no one is known to not be able to upgrade it.

Thanks for any help! I'm trying to cover all the bases here, and I certainly didn't post before I felt like I'd tried everything! :-)  To tell the truth, I'm a bit relieved that it isn't some simple solution that I just overlooked - at least I don't have to feel like an idiot, LOL!

Okay, so in answer to your question, this Sim has a handiness of 10 and has already done 12 upgrades, including Improved Graphics on her computer, which requires Level 8. She hasn't tried any Level 9 upgrades yet because she doesn't have a Nectar Maker, a Food Replicator, or a Teleporter. My understanding is that upgrading the fire extinguisher only requires Level 3 Handiness.

And no, I have never upgraded a fire extinguisher because I've never been able to find it. This Sim just became a Firefighter this afternoon (real-life time) and is at Level 3 of the career. She has upgraded the fire alarm and the engine to level 2, but hasn't done horsepower level 3 yet.

Another forum said you have to be at career level 5 to get the extinguisher, but I didn't get it even at level 10 with my other Sim. And besides that makes no sense: no career level is required for the handiness level 4 of the fire alarm, so why would a career level be required for the lower-level upgrade of the extnguisher? Waxing philosophic here, but still. :-)

SanBlasBobbie

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 06:08:58 PM »

Oh, and welcome to the forum of course. :) I haven't seen you around here before.

Thank you, it feels good to be here! As they say on NPR, "Long time listener, first time caller."

What a great game this is, isn't it?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

SanBlasBobbie

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 12:34:06 AM »
Okay, well, it turns out that I am something of an idiot. Or at least impatient.  I got my Sim to level 5 of the Firefighter career, and sure enough, the "upgrade fire extinguisher" showed up when I left-clicked on her.

The good news is that (1) uninstalling and reinstalling the game took care of the problem (Sims in previous installations did not get the fire extinguisher at all), which is enormously reassuring; and (2) the good people on this forum were of great help, which is also enormously reassuring! :-)

To recap: to get the fire extinguisher, my Sim had to reach Firefighter career level 5. I have not determined what Handiness level is also required, since she was already at level 10.

In other news, the "upgraded fire extinguisher" does NOT appear in the list of completed upgrades in the Skill Journal, so it got me NO closer to completing 100% of the Percent of Unique Upgrades Completed. Oh well! It's still a goal.

Thanks to all who replied!!

Bobbie

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:46:22 AM »
Very glad you got the extinguisher issue resolved, Bobbie.  Welcome to our Forum!  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."