Author Topic: Can I move my YA Sim out without losing the rest of my family?  (Read 59499 times)

Keruri

Hi everyone!

I am a seasoned Simmer, but new to Sims 3 (and this forum!) since I only recently acquired a console that the game was designed for (my computer is far too old to run the newest Sims). However, I am having a lot of difficulty with moving. I remember in Sims 2, I would dump Sims into the family bin, and when I wanted to play them I would move them onto a new lot. With Sims 3 I am particularly interested in keeping Sims in the neighbourhood because of Story Progression.

Okay, so my issue is this: My Sim is married and has 3 children. The oldest kid has recently gotten married, and I would like to move him and his new wife out to both clear up some space in the house but also so that I can focus on the remaining two children (one of whom is a teenager and one who is a toddler). I have been searching Google and this forum for appropriate answers, but none seem to fit my particular wants. I want my married child to move into his own home in the neighbourhood, but I want to continue to play my original family. I also don't want my original family to move from their current home, since I have worked hard to build it up and am not yet ready to sacrifice it. I found ways to move the rest of the family out while my married child remains in the larger home, but this seems counterproductive since the larger group will have to move into a smaller home, while the childless young couple will be living in a huge mansion. I also found ways to move out my married child into his own home, but this results in my original family disappearing from the game. I'm really confused by the level of complexity that moving him out is requiring. What is the point of raising kids if I'm just going to lose them when it comes time for them to move out? ???

I hope I have described this clearly enough, and really hope someone can provide me with some answers!!

Thanks in advance  :)

Keruri

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
Re: Can I move my YA Sim out without losing the rest of my family?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
Keruri, you can do all of that. Have your Sim chose the option "move" on a phone in inventory, and you'll get the window with many options. You will be able to chose between empty lot and building, and chose the house you want that Sim to move in, then you chose who will move out with that Sim (his wife), and chose active household (remaining family members).
If you have more trouble with this feel free to ask.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Keruri

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »
Thanks for your response! This is going to sound absurd, but I don't see any of those options. When I have the Sim I would like to move use the "Move" option on his phone, he is automatically slotted into the "New house" column. If I keep him and his wife in that column, and move the remaining family members into "My House" (which I assume means the household I am currently playing), I receive a warning that says something to the affect of "any Sims that are left behind or kicked out will be removed from the game." I went ahead with this anyway, waiting to see the options you described, but was instead given the keep or sell furniture pop-up. From there I was taken to the neighbourhood, where I needed to select a house or lot for my YA Sim and his wife to live. I never received the option to choose an active household, and my original family had indeed disappeared. The old house is empty. :( Am I missing something obvious?

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:31:48 PM »
Are you playing on the PC or on a particular console?
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Keruri

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
I'm playing on a PS3. I didn't realize this made a difference, since I assumed the gameplay was the same.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 01:41:12 PM »
I don't know about the console options, but some things are different than with PC game. When you get the option to chose who is moving out, you should see a little box on each side to mark the active household. Also when you chose lot/building a pop up appear asking are you shore that will be a new active household. It seems to be different with console. I'm shore someone will give you an answer. Also, there is a whole board for console game, because of these differences.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »
From what I understand, there is no way to keep the family left behind in the town when you move sims out on the console version of Sims 3.  But I don't have any of the console versions, so I don't know for sure due to experience.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
I am moving this to the Console board, since it is a question for the console version of the Sims 3.
Ignorance is not an excuse, please read the forum rules.

twiggy84

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
Hi there! All I can say about the console version of this game is that it doesn't live up to the PC version. Regardless...

The best way I can figure to do what you want, is a little bit of a process. This version doesn't have the ability (as far as I can tell) to just move a sim out of the house and put him in another house in the neighborhood. Once someone moves out of the household you're controlling, they're deleted from the game. For-ev-er. Also, please read all of this before you decide to do it. Once you've read it you might just find it's easier to kill the sims you don't want in the house.

So this process, assuming you're prepared to lose your YA and his wife and continue on without him in the household you've got:
1. From the "Town View" option, click on your house and click the "Copy House" option. I'm assuming you want to keep the house you've got cause you like it or it's just the way you want it. And once you decide to move them, there is no option to just leave the house the way it is. So this will save a copy of your house to your game library exactly the way it is. I advise labeling it so you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's the house you had before.
2. Once you've saved a copy of the house, you'll be moving the sims you want to keep to another house. It's just for a minute. To do this, click on a sim you want to keep, any adult, click "Cell Phone", then "Move". A window will pop up with options for each sim. The sim using the option will not be able to be moved, (s)he is going to the new house whether they like it or not. As for the other sims, you have the option to either kick them out or leave them at the house they're in, which is kind of a pointless option because either way they're completely deleted from the game. So it doesn't matter which one you pick. Just to make things easy let's just say kick all the unwanted sims out. Then you can either keep your furniture or sell it. Just pick one.
3. So you've moved the sims you want to another house right? Now just go on and move them right back into your old house. It should still be the way you left it, but without furniture. So now, go to the "Town View" and click on the house, then click "Replace House". It should pull up a few options and the house you saved should be in there. Know that once you do this it will remove all wishes from each sim except for their lifetime wish.

There! You should now have the family you wanted living in your house. It really sucks that you won't be able to interact with the sims that got kicked out, but hey, at least they're out of the house. Right? Right?!

This version of the game obviously has some needed work. Seems the creators overlooked a few things when they translated it. Anyways, I hope this helps.

Offline Kittykat2002

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 12:54:50 PM »
.Get the sim you want to move

.tell him to get his cell phone out and click "move"

.put him and his wife "if she lives with him" in the middle column; if she doesn't live with him just put him in the middle column
.put everyone who you want to stay in their house in the left column
.then click save and all that
.if your wife didn't live with you in the other house she won't live with you in this house so you will have to ask her to move in with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JodySuzanne1305

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:05:41 AM »
No. Unfortunately on the console you must either follow the sim moving out and loose the rest of the family, or stay behind with the rest of the family and loose the sim moving out. The worst part is that when you do this whoever you choose to stay with will forget the rest of the family ever existed. They won't show in the family tree or relationships panel. This is one if the main reasons I switched from the console version on my Xbox to the PC version. Hope this helped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything