Author Topic: Riches Galore: The Orphanage Project (Completed)  (Read 117874 times)

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
Re: Riches Galore
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
Great story, Schip!
And happy birthday, Debbie :)
Introducing... The Tunics
Sadly, no longer. Please see the link.

New! The {Appleby} Legacy

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Esther and Ruby.

I've been thinking about the aging up aspect of this game.  I don't want Sebastian and Pippa to be elders at the end of the 10 weeks, and they just don't have time for all the fishing and gardening necessary to make ambrosia, so I'm playing on epic lifespan.  Which means I need to come up with some criteria for when to age up the kids.  Since the focus is on giving orphans a good start in life, this is what I've come up with:

Babies will be aged up after 3 days
Toddlers will be aged up after learning all the toddler skills and having the skill books at the library read to them
Children will be aged up after getting on the honour roll
Teenagers will be aged up after getting on the honour roll and reaching level 10 in a skill.  At that point, they will become young adults and will be considered ready to move out and live independently.  Moving out the young adults, of course, will make room for more orphans to be cared for.  I'm aiming for a household of 7 people, so there will be room for 5 kids at a time.

I welcome any comments or suggestions regarding the aging-up criteria.  I don't play families very much, which is why it's taken me some time to decide how to deal with this.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »
Sounds good Schipperke!

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2011, 02:58:03 AM »
Thanks for the comments, Esther and Ruby.

I've been thinking about the aging up aspect of this game.  I don't want Sebastian and Pippa to be elders at the end of the 10 weeks, and they just don't have time for all the fishing and gardening necessary to make ambrosia, so I'm playing on epic lifespan.  Which means I need to come up with some criteria for when to age up the kids.  Since the focus is on giving orphans a good start in life, this is what I've come up with:

Babies will be aged up after 3 days
Toddlers will be aged up after learning all the toddler skills and having the skill books at the library read to them
Children will be aged up after getting on the honour roll
Teenagers will be aged up after getting on the honour roll and reaching level 10 in a skill.  At that point, they will become young adults and will be considered ready to move out and live independently.  Moving out the young adults, of course, will make room for more orphans to be cared for.  I'm aiming for a household of 7 people, so there will be room for 5 kids at a time.

I welcome any comments or suggestions regarding the aging-up criteria.  I don't play families very much, which is why it's taken me some time to decide how to deal with this.

I think that is a pretty good criteria, but it does take quite a while to reach Level 10 in a skill.
Also, if you don't play families very much, what do you play? Are you builder? ???
Introducing... The Tunics
Sadly, no longer. Please see the link.

New! The {Appleby} Legacy

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2011, 09:15:45 AM »
I think that is a pretty good criteria, but it does take quite a while to reach Level 10 in a skill.
Also, if you don't play families very much, what do you play? Are you builder? ???

You're right, Ruby.  Reaching level 10 can take a while.  Mostly what I play is single sims, with a focus on skills and other tasks I give them.  And, of course, I like to take part in the challenges.  But, on the subject of the level 10 skills - I think that's important here as one of the goals is for the orphans to be able to earn a living when they leave, and a level 10 skill will be a good start.  But I'm thinking I might age them up to YA after they get their 3 days on the honor roll at school.  Then they can focus all their time getting their skill level up without having to spend more time than necessary in school.  That will be faster.  They can also get a job before leaving home.  Yeah, I think that's what I'll do.

One of the tasks for Pippa and Sebastian is to bring happiness to these poor abandoned waifs and I wanted to set a goal - X number of happiness points - but I had no idea what number to aim for.  I'm thinking I might require them to all have Steel Bladder and Dirt Defiant before leaving home.  We'll see. 

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Chapter 9:  Week 2, Sunday

Debbie wants to write.  She wants to paint.  On Sunday afternoon she goes to the library and starts working on her first novel.  Sebastian is at work.  Pippa is home alone playing the guitar she found in the yard when an unexpected visitor arrives.

Pippa can't believe Mr Payne would have the gall to turn up here and stroll into the yard as if he owns the place!  Well, in a sense he does own the place - or at least, the estate does - but Pippa is in no mood to be reasonable.  She blames Mr Payne for foisting this shack on her and her brother.  She is convinced that he could have helped them find a way to break the will if he had wanted to - isn't that what lawyers are for?  So when Mr Payne draws near, Pippa is spoiling for a fight.

Pippa:  What do you want?
Mr Payne:  I was in the neighbourhood and thought I'd pay a friendly visit.  (looking around)  I see you've cleaned up the brambles.  That looks much better.
Pippa:  Yeah, now the cockroaches can enjoy the sun.
Mr Payne:  Hmm, yes ...

Notice in the picture above what Pippa is thinking about.  Do you think maybe she's  scheming to find some way of getting money out of the lawyer?)

Pippa:  If you came to see Sebastian, he's at work.
Mr Payne:  Yes, I know.  I understand he's had a couple of promotions already.  Please give him my congratulations.  I was hoping to meet Debbie, but she's out also?  No matter, I'll see her next time.  Let's go inside.

Next time?  Pippa doesn't like the sound of that.  She really doesn't want Mr Payne in the house, but he steps past her and walks inside.

Mr Payne notices the unwashed plate on the table and says:  Haven't cleaned the table yet, I see.
Pippa:  But I cleaned the walls!  See how much better they look!  Sebastian found those sketches at the Consignment store.  They were free.

Mr Payne inspects Debbie's room.  He says:  You've fixed this up very nicely, indeed.  But is that the best bed you could find?  That's not really a very good bed, you know.
Pippa has had enough.  She yells:  It was all we could afford!  You come here in your fancy suit snooping and criticizing, what do you know of our lives?  Sebastian hardly makes any money at the diner, and I can't go to work because I have to spend all my time cleaning and repairing and looking after the kid! 

Mr Payne responds mildly:  Yes, I see.  And have you donated any money to charity this week?
Pippa, sullenly:  No.
Mr Payne:  Well, don't worry.  I understand money's been tight this week, but I'm sure things will improve.  Now, about Debbie -
Pippa interrupts, shouting:  I spend all my time looking after her!  We spend all our money buying stuff for her!  Now she wants an easel!
Mr Payne:  An easel?  That sounds like a very good idea.  Go ahead and get one for her.
Pippa:  We Can't Afford It!!!  We've barely got enough money to pay the bills.  Oh, I can't bear this.  I feel like I'm a prisoner and I've been locked up in the worst jail cell on the planet.  All I do is work, and this place is awful, and my feet hurt!

Mr Payne:  Your feet?  What's wrong with your feet?
Pippa:  It's these horrible rubber boots.  They make my feet sweat and the skin gets irritated.
Mr Payne:  Why not take them off?
Pippa:  And go around barefoot?  You saw the size of those cockroaches!  How long do you think it would be before those things bit off my toes?
Mr Payne:  Ah, I see.  Well, I think the estate could allow enough money for you to pick up a pair of secondhand shoes.  Why don't you check the Consignment store - they're bound to have a pair of sensible shoes.  Now, about Debbie's bed and that easel.  We really can't have the little tyke doing without.  I'll send over an easel and a better bed.  I'll also find someone to deal with those cockroaches.  We can't have Debbie getting bit, that wouldn't do at all.

He waits for Pippa to thank him, but she just stands looking sullen.

Mr Payne concludes:  Now that Debbie is in school, you're ready to take in another orphan.  And it'll be easier for you since you already have the crib and some toys.  Yes, that's quite satisfactory.  See you next week.

He walks off.

After Sebastian comes home from work that evening, as he and Pippa are eating pancakes left over from breakfast:

Pippa:  Mr Payne came today.
Sebastian:  Payne-in-the-Neck?  What did he want?
Pippa:  To snoop and criticize.  The man is absolutely insufferable!  He found fault with everything!  He said Debbie's bed wasn't good enough!
Sebastian is tired and really doesn't want to buy into Pippa's histrionics.  He says:  Did you tell Payne that we couldn't afford a better bed?
Pippa:  Of course.
Sebastian:  And?
Pippa:  He said (her tone becomes very sarcastic), 'we can't have the little tyke doing without.'  Debbie this, Debbie that!  What about me?  What about what I have to go through? 
Sebastian:  What did he say about Debbie's bed?
Pippa, resentfully:  He's going to send over a new bed and an easel.
Sebastian:  That's ok, then.
Pippa, disappointed with Sebastian's reaction, continues trying to goad him into sharing her indignation:  He said we have to take another orphan and next time you have to do it.
Sebastian:  Whatever.  Fine.  On my next day off.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
I just read this from start to finish you are an amazing writer. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
Wow, it just keeps getting better.  I think I know how it will play out, but I will keep it to myself for now.  I am just as much intrigued with this one as your other one. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
Thanks very much for the comments, Ratchie and Saltypaws.  Salty, I'm still uncertain of the end myself - there are a number of possibilities - so it will be interesting to see if things play out as you expect them to.  When it's all over, I hope you let us know.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »
You're a magnificent storyteller! Love the dialog where she complains about her feet hurting. :)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
Thanks very much for the comments, Ratchie and Saltypaws.  Salty, I'm still uncertain of the end myself - there are a number of possibilities - so it will be interesting to see if things play out as you expect them to.  When it's all over, I hope you let us know.

That is the fun of trying to figure out some of these stories.  It could take an unexpected twist on your end to blow my theory out of the water, lol.  We shall see though. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
This is an awesome story, Schipperke! I love it. :)
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
YAY another update! And a great one at that. Mr. Payne better watch out, if Pippa's mood doesn't improve after the kitchen gets upgraded she might have a couple sharp instruments to wave in his direction!
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline Micler

• Occult
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »
You're writing is great! I can't wait to see what happens next. :)

Offline DeNile

• Occult
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »
Agreed!
The Pendragon Randomacy. My new, and hopefully long-term, story for Carl's forum. Following Anita Pendragon: The Runaway.

anything