Author Topic: Riches Galore: The Orphanage Project (Completed)  (Read 117916 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Riches Galore
« Reply #330 on: May 05, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Chapter 38:  Week 10 - The Meeting

Friday morning arrives.  Pippa and Sebastian are due at the lawyer's office at 9 o'clock to meet with Mr Payne who will tell them whether they have succeeded in meeting the terms of the will.  This is the moment they have been looking forward to ever since they were expelled from their parents' house and forced into a life of poverty and deprivation.  Pippa takes the day off work.  For today, City Hall can get along without her.  She has more important business to attend to. 

Sebastian:  Are you ready?
Pippa:  I'm ready.
Sebastian:  You're sure?
Pippa:  Absolutely sure.  You?
Sebastian:  Oh, yes.  Let's go.

They make their way downtown and enter the building that houses the Payne and Fears Law Office. 

Mr Payne beams at them as they walk into the familiar office.  He says:  Welcome, welcome, children!  It's good to see you. 

Mr Payne waits until Pippa and Sebastian are seated, then says:  I think we should start this meeting by reviewing the terms of your father's will. You were charged with making a living, reaching the top of your careers, taking in orphans and giving them a good start in life, donating to charity, and achieving your LTW.  Let's see - Sebastian, you're a five-star chef, and I understand your key lime pie is a favourite at political fundraisers.  Pippa, congratulations on becoming leader of the free world.  I understand there were a number of write-in votes for you at the recent Canadian election even though you missed the deadline for getting your name on the ballot.  Never mind, next time.

Mr Payne continues:  Thanks to you, ten orphans have been given a very good start in life.  They've all had enough happiness points to buy Dirt Defiant and Steel Bladder, and several of them had other rewards as well.  You both completed your LTW, and a number of charities have sent me letters expressing their appreciation for your generous support.  In short, children, you've done very well.  Your parents would be proud of you. 
Sebastian:  I wish we could have done all this before Mother and Father died.
Pippa:  Yes, it's sad that we never got to prove ourselves to them.
Mr Payne:  Your parents always knew you were capable of it, you know.  They had faith in you.  You just needed a push in the right direction.  One thing I'm wondering - do you think you've learned anything over the last 10 weeks?

Sebastian:  Oh, yes.  I've learned that money means a lot more when you've worked to earn it.  And there's a lot of satisfaction in knowing that you've earned something, not just had it handed to you.  I felt really proud when I got my first promotion.  I got that promotion because I deserved it, not because of who my father was.
Pippa, to Mr Payne:  That day when I was complaining about how horrible everything was in our house, and you asked me if that included Debbie and Graeme - you made me look at myself, and what I saw made me feel ashamed for the first time in my life.  I suddenly knew that the most horrible thing in that house wasn't the cheap furnishings - it was me.  That was when I started to realize that pretty, expensive things weren't what mattered - what matters is the people you love.

Sebastian:  Yes, you helped us a lot, even though we didn't always realize it at the time.
Pippa:  We both owe you our thanks.
Mr Payne:  Not bad for an old Payne-in-the-Neck, eh?
Sebastian:  You knew that we called you that?
Mr Payne laughs:  Oh, don't worry - I've been called worse.  Now, I think you'll be pleased at how well the estate has been doing.  It's increased in value by quite a lot over the last 10 weeks, you know.  The weekly rents have really added up, and the money tree plantation in Twinbrook has been doing very well.  The canning factory in Riverview has a new product line that's proving to be very popular, particularly the Flame Fruit Jelly, which is really a hot item.  The current value of the estate is - let's see - $57,384,028.  And, of course, Mr Skills has been taking very good care of the mansion.  He assures me it's ready for you to move back in any time.  There are some papers to sign -
Sebastian interrupts:  We don't want it!

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #331 on: May 05, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »

Mr Payne:  Pardon?  What did you say?
Pippa:  It's true.  We don't want all that money. 
Mr Payne:  But my dear children - this is your rightful inheritance!  Your parents wanted you to have it!  You've done all this work to earn it -
Sebastian:  When we had all that money, we didn't appreciate it.  We weren't very nice people.
Pippa:  We were horrible, and you know it. 
Sebastian:  We've had a request from the city council in Barnacle Bay to go and start an orphanage there. 
Pippa:  Sebastian's leaving right away to get set up.  He's found a farm that looks ideal for us.  I'll finish up things here and join him in a day or two.  (proudly) Morgan Inkbeard wants Sebastian to write a cookbook, you know - he thinks it would be a best-seller.  Everyone loves my brother's key lime pie!
Mr Payne:  But what about the estate?  What do you want to do with it?
Pippa:  We want Max Skills to have the house.  It's only fair, after all the work he's done looking after the place.  And he should have a weekly stipend as well, because I don't think there are any more butler jobs in town.
Sebastian:  Our son Graeme - the doctor, you know - has an idea for a treatment centre he'd like to set up.  We'd like him to have money for that.  And all the children could do with a little money.
Pippa:  But not too much!
Sebastian:  And we do think the Home for Retired Gnomes should have proper funding.  How much would it take, do you think?

They discuss various projects and details of the distribution of the money.  Finally, Mr Payne says:  Well, if you're certain.  I'll draw up the papers and Pippa can sign them later today.  What do you want to do with the house you've been living in?  Sell it?
Pippa:  Gordon and Tami want to stay on and keep the orphanage running.  It would be nice if they could have enough money to fix the place up a bit.
Mr Payne:  Certainly.  I'll arrange it.

Pippa and Sebastian get up to leave. 

Sebastian:  Thanks for all your help, sir.
Pippa's eyes are glistening with tears and she doesn't try to speak, just hugs Mr Payne tightly and walks out.

Mr Payne stands looking after them.  Sebastian is obviously eager about the move to Barnacle Bay.  But Pippa ... Pippa doesn't seem to be quite as excited about the move as Sebastian is.  Mr Payne wonders what that's about.  But it's none of his business.  He shakes his head, and starts drawing up the papers for Pippa to sign.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jessiethedog

• Immortal
« Reply #332 on: May 05, 2011, 08:59:38 AM »
Well, I can't say that this was unexpected, but it was still written really well! It sounds weird, as they're not even my sims, but I'm proud of Pippa and Sebastian. Pippa especially, it seems like she's not taking this very well.  :)
'They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra just for you' - Larkin

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »
Wow, those were great chapters~! ^^
Like jesie said, I'm proud of them as wel. They've really changed. :)

(By the was, was that am amorous hug Pippa was giving Mr. Pane? ;))
Formerly Simstar3

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #334 on: May 05, 2011, 10:02:59 AM »
I MUST say this: best story since the Dreamweavers! ;D I love the way you write, I love love love love love love love Pippa and Seb! So touching, so everything. No words *falls on the floor crying* WHY?! Oh why should a story this awesome end?! WOW WOW WOW BRAVO

P.S. Okay, I know I've broken thousands of rules, excuse me.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #335 on: May 05, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
Awesome chapters! Like Jessie and Simstar, I'm proud of them, they have come so far and touched so many lives. Such an amazing story Schip!!

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #336 on: May 05, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »
Just read this entire story from the start without stopping. It was brilliant! I REALLY enjoyed it! ;D Well done! I am also proud of Pippa and Sebastian. =)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2011, 11:58:26 AM »
Thanks very much for the comments.  But please, it's a tiny bit early to be bemoaning the end of the story - there are several posts to come!  Well, just tying up the loose ends, really, but it's not over until the fat lady sings (but fortunately for you, you won't have to listen to my singing).

I MUST say this: best story since the Dreamweavers!

Chronic, I'm going to frame your comment and hang it over my desk.  To even be mentioned in the same breath as Dreamweavers is an incredible honour!

And I haven't forgotten the requests for the ruleset.  I've been working on that and should have it ready to put up by the time the story is finished, I hope.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #338 on: May 05, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
Well, so far, you have not let us down and I somehow knew they would not except the money.  Great writing, funny how you get drawn into some of these stories and forget they are sim stories.  Awesome, just awesome. ;D
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Juxtaposition

• Immortal
« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »
"Flame Fruit Jelly, which is really a hot item. "  Oh the punnies! ;D  I love that line, that made me laugh!

Great Updates, eagerly awaiting the next one.
You can call me Juxt

De D'Onlyn Dynasty
where the party never ends.

Offline MissMaths

• Townie
  • Please call me Alice - it is my name, after all...
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »
Aww, the challenge is over, which means the story will soon be as well. Nuuu! :'( I think I'm gonna cry!
Well, not really. I agree with Chronic, this story is on par with the Dreamweavers, and you deserve the description 'cause this story is amazing! If only I could write like that... :-\
But please, don't just abandon Pippa and Sebastian, update their goings once in a while, pretty pretty please? *pleading smile, puppy-dog eyes*
;D

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »
Schipperke, I agree with Chronic and MissMaths - this story is one of the best since the Dreamweavers.
I can't believe it's ending... But then again, all good things must come to an end.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2011, 08:51:33 AM »
Chapter 39:  Week 10, Friday, Part 1:  Mr Payne

The final papers have been signed.  Mr Payne's work in Sunset Valley is done.  He takes a last look around the office he will never see again and walks out the door. 

When Pippa and Sebastian left the office, they were in downtown Sunset Valley.  Mr Payne walks out into a wooded glade.

He strides over to his waiting transport and steps aboard.

And he's gone.  Mr Payne has returned to wherever his kind goes when they are not helping struggling Sims to find their way.  Perhaps he will be seen again in this time and place.  Perhaps not. 

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »
Goodbye Mr Payne you have done your job well.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »
Chapter 40:  Week 10, Friday, Part 2:  Sebastian

Sebastian catches the first flight to Barnacle Bay.  He is very excited about the new orphanage.  The farm house needs renovations, but he knows just what to do.  The old barn can be converted to sleeping quarters for the older children, and they have space for a large garden to grow their own produce.  He's also quite pleased with the new truck he's purchased.

He's standing on the porch, breathing the clean country air, when he notices someone standing by the mailbox.  A neighbour come to welcome him to town?  He goes over to meet her.

Her name is Maxine.  She says she is a distant cousin of Max Skills.
Maxine says:  I was training to become a butler like my famous cousin, but then the butler school shut down suddenly.  It happened when all the celebrities and clubs disappeared from town, and now there are no more jobs anywhere for butlers!*  I can't find work and I'm getting desperate.  I heard about the orphanage you're starting and I wondered - could you use an assistant?  I'm a hard worker and you wouldn't have to pay me very much.

Sebastian hires her on the spot.  Maxine listens attentively as Sebastian tells her of his plans for the new orphanage.  Wait till Pippa arrives and sees how much he's achieved already!

* Maxine is referring to a real event here.  This happened when I uninstalled Late Night.

By the way, Maxine really is related to Max, courtesy of Create-a-Sim.

anything