Author Topic: Kleptomaniac Trait  (Read 119611 times)

Offline athena

• Occult
Kleptomaniac Trait
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:02:01 AM »
Just for fun, I made a female actress Sim have a kleptomaniac trait. She has wishes now and then to steal something. How do the Sims actually swipe something away? What sort of items do they steal? I tried to point on an object in a house where no one was looking, but no prompt saying, "steal" or "swipe" object.  What happens when the kleptomaniac gets caught? Does a cop come and she gets arrested or fined?  Has anyone played a klepto Sim before? Looking forward to hear your replies!  :)

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Kleptomaniac Trait
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:05:32 AM »
It has to be after midnight and you have to be outside or inside of someone's house. And you have to be alone in the room.
Then you click on the ground near the objects you want. (Can't remember the name of the interaction in English, sorry!)
Your klepto sim will now grab an item in the room but you can't control which.
And you can only steal 3 times in one night.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:40:21 AM »
Kleptomaniac is a very fun trait.  But it doesn't necessarily have to be after midnight...just after dark.  I had heard that sims that are Evil as well can steal things in broad daylight, but this is not true.  But as LenaLJ said, there can't be anyone around the sim or the option will be grayed out.  And the 3 items a night thing really limits you, so pick your potential targets wisely.

Typically, your klepto will steal junk.  You can't really control what they steal, and really you shouldn't be able to.  Kleptomaniacs are more about the act of stealing something more than they are about the value of the item.  And inside your average house, all the expensive things are surrounded by near worthless items.  Count on getting those first lol.  Likewise, they will occasionally steal some random thing from any lot they visit or any person they come into contact with, regardless of whether or not they could be carrying it.  I've had teenage kleptos steal buy menu wall decorations from their schoolmates without having ever been to their house.  This doesn't affect the number of items you can steal per day.  While they used to be able to, they can no longer steal items from interactive community lots (i.e. the gym).

But if you're looking to maximize your profit, I suggest cars.  Usually there isn't anything around them (the occasional light, but after you steal that the car is yours), and even the junkers can give you a nice little side business to supplement your day job.  Plus, cars just randomly turn up in parking spaces on rabbit-hole public lots, and they don't actually belong to anyone.  Hospitals in particular will spawn the occasional VNF Kompensator.  Likewise, rich families will tend to have expensive cars, so it pays to visit your neighbors every once in a while.  The trick is to stand as close to the car as possible before you try.

If you get caught stealing from a neighbor, the worst thing that will happen is that they kick you out of the house.  I've had sims get kicked out, who have then turned around and rang the doorbell and were welcomed back in as though nothing had happened lol.  Kleptomaniacs do excel in the criminal career (the thief branch especially), and get promoted comparatively quickly through the ranks, but you will go to jail at some point if that's your career.  It's only for a few sim-hours, and you're usually off in plenty of time to rest up for your next shift, so really it's not that big of a deal.  Your job performance might take a bit of a hit depending on when you actually get pinched, but if your skills are within the required job metrics, it's very easy to recover from.

And the interaction says "Swipe Something."
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 04:30:58 AM »
I love playing a klepto!  There are some rules to it though.  First, it has to be dark and if you are deliberately stealing something you are only allowed to steal three items per night.  So, if you steal and finish up before midnight, once it turns midnight you can steal three more items!  However, then you have to skip to the next day.  If your Sim has stolen something already, for instance from work, and you did not direct the Sim to steal at that time, you can still steal three more items that day.  If you aren't playing a challenge, and don't mind using a cheat, you can pause your game and find three items you want stolen, then set teleport, using your testingcheatsenabled true, to that spot, click on the ground near the item and select "Swipe Something", go to the next spot, teleport again, etc. etc. and set your final teleport spot back home.  All done in very little time and almost never caught at it.  You'll get three items, usually what you want though not always, and you can go into your shared inventory and sell all or use them.  The four best cars in SV are at Agnes Crumplebottoms, the Alto household, the Langeraks, (or is it Landgraabs?),  across from the Alto's, and the Wolf's.  The Goth's have a nice vehicle too but they always keep it in the garage so it's difficult to steal.  There is often a Kompensator in the parking lot at the diner and lately just about every parking lot has a bunch of cars in it, usually Sloppy Jalopies and Big Lemons but hey, every bit counts.  Oh, and there is a stealable truck in the junkyard parking lot.  Can you tell I play klepto often, lol?  I've pretty much cased out where everything I might want to steal is.  I'm very honest in RL and wouldn't steal anything but I let it all go in Sims!  That big statue in front of the Wolf's can be tricky to steal but it sure is worth it.  I think it's around 7 thousand simoleons. 
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »
Awesome tips, Joria. Bookmarked. If you want to know anything more about the Kleptomaniac trait, go here and be sure to check here too. About the lifetime wish, click here.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Alexandria_

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:53:04 AM »
The four best cars in SV are at Agnes Crumplebottoms, the Alto household, the Langeraks, (or is it Landgraabs?),  across from the Alto's, and the Wolf's.
That's the Landgraabs :)
And yes, playing a klepto is fun!

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:58:45 AM »
A couple more kleptomaniac tips:  in Sunset Valley, the big statue in Central Park is a good bet, and city hall will replace it sooner or later for you to steal again.  There are steal-able objects in front of the art museum, but your sim will probably go for the light fixtures rather than the objets d'art.  And if you have a klepto in a rabbit-hole job, check the family inventory from time to time - they like to come home with little objects they've "liberated" from work.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »
A couple more kleptomaniac tips:  in Sunset Valley, the big statue in Central Park is a good bet, and city hall will replace it sooner or later for you to steal again.  There are steal-able objects in front of the art museum, but your sim will probably go for the light fixtures rather than the objets d'art.  And if you have a klepto in a rabbit-hole job, check the family inventory from time to time - they like to come home with little objects they've "liberated" from work.

Yup, often some decorations, curtains, rarely expensive objects. These are the only 'swipe' items that don't count as one of the 3 allowed at night. I think that a patch removed the ability to steal objects from the Art Museum, but I may be wrong. We need a proper clarification. ???
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »
Yup, often some decorations, curtains, rarely expensive objects. These are the only 'swipe' items that don't count as one of the 3 allowed at night. I think that a patch removed the ability to steal objects from the Art Museum, but I may be wrong. We need a proper clarification. ???

You can't steal objects from inside interactive public lots anymore.  This includes the gym, the library, the laundromat, all public WA lots and the art museum.  Anything outside the buildings in your home town is fair game, however.

Speaking of decorations:  have you ever wanted a flagpole for your lot?  You can steal those.  You often find them outside schools, city hall and the military base.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »
You can't steal objects from inside interactive public lots anymore.  This includes the gym, the library, the laundromat, all public WA lots and the art museum.  Anything outside the buildings in your home town is fair game, however.

Speaking of decorations:  have you ever wanted a flagpole for your lot?  You can steal those.  You often find them outside schools, city hall and the military base.

Exactly. I remember reading that somewhere, now I know that I remember right. :) Thank you, Hosfac.

Offline athena

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:54:24 PM »
Thanks for all your replies! I knew playing the klepto trait is fun!

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »
Also after stealing something and lot of times you will get a wish to return the item for 400 Lifetime points. If it's a cheap item that your not going to get much money for click on you mailbox and return it for some easy lifetime points.

Like in Riverview I tried 3 times one night to get a statue but only got 3 flowers. I went back home and to bed and while sleeping I got 3 wishs to return the flowers. One wish for each flower. That was a easy 1200 lifetime points
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Also after stealing something and lot of times you will get a wish to return the item for 400 Lifetime points. If it's a cheap item that your not going to get much money for click on you mailbox and return it for some easy lifetime points.

Like in Riverview I tried 3 times one night to get a statue but only got 3 flowers. I went back home and to bed and while sleeping I got 3 wishs to return the flowers. One wish for each flower. That was a easy 1200 lifetime points

You also get a positive moodlet for returning stolen items, even if you don't get a wish for it ;)

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 05:16:47 PM »
Klepto's are fun. Even more fun when they have the evil trait.

Offline mysticmirror

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
I've played a klepto and it's a blast. I even used the lifetime wish to have $50,000 stolen good in thier inventory. That was a hard one because  a lot of the times she just stole crap. I would take her out every night to her friends houses and steal my three something's. Sometimes she did do good, especially when you can get a car. Sometimes I did notice though that after she came back from work or the movies or something she had stolen like paper towel rolls and stuff like that. She'd always get the wish though to return the stolen good, but I never obliged her. After reaching my goal of the $50,000 stolen items. I had her return each and everyone of them via the mailbox. She may have been bad but I wanted her to be a good simmy, LOL

anything