Author Topic: Treasure chests at home - what are they for?  (Read 9073 times)

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
Treasure chests at home - what are they for?
« on: December 01, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
I can't really figure out the point of those treasure chests you can buy. Are they just for storage or do they "do" anything like make relics more valuable over time?

Why should I have them? Any thoughts?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Treasure chests at home - what are they for?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »
I haven't tried buying one yet. Have you tried moving something like a relic from your Inventory into the treasure chest? Is there an Open cue like a fridge has?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »
They work kind of like the fridge and bookcase. You can open them and drag stuff there and I think they're bottomless like a fridge.

Maybe they're just for cleaning out your inventory without having to sell things or putting them on display? I guess I just wish there was more to it. ::)

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »
I use them for storing extra "treasures" my Sims have that I don't want to have clogging up their backpack inventories on a day to day basis.  I bought one from each location for their Sunset Valley home.  Now, every time they return from a trip, one of the first things I do is have them empty stuff into each chest.  I use one for storing extra relics that don't fit on my 2 large display cases, one for storing cut gems and smelted metals (I only put the most valuable gems on display on a dresser), and one for storing miscellaneous stuff like all the reward certificates my Sims gathered.  I only hung a few up on the walls, otherwise it looks way too cluttered.

Also, did you know the incense holders give actual benefits??  The one from China helps with skill development while it is burning, the one from Egypt helps keep Sims mellow and not stressed, and the one from France helps with love.  I need to get a few more for other rooms in my homes...

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:33 PM »
The chests are great in that they are bottomless and can store anything you would keep in your backpack.  If you have limited space to show off your treasures, then stick them in there and rotate the treasures to your hearts content  ;) .  I am really enjoying them to put all those smelted metals into.  I use my display cases for my cut gems and the most valueable of my treasures.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »
I sell a lot of my stuff, even the skill certificates.  I especially sell the expensive smelted metals.  I've kept the relics that are parts of collections, but I sell the random ones.  I just bought the chest in China for my new vacation home there (which is fabulous).  It goes nicely with the interior decor and I suppose I'll store some things in it.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 08:53:32 AM »
Thanks for your input guys. Hmm, I can't decide what to do with them.
My Sims often have those "Be worth more than X simoleons" wishes and I found out that when you put stuff in the treasure chests they don't contribute to the value of the lot. Those treasures sure does clutter up the house but I think I'll wait until my Sims are really rich before I start stuffing things in the chests.

Also, did you know the incense holders give actual benefits??  The one from China helps with skill development while it is burning, the one from Egypt helps keep Sims mellow and not stressed, and the one from France helps with love.  I need to get a few more for other rooms in my homes...

I didn't know this. I thought they just gave a moodlet. Now I want more of those things too! :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

bshag

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »
I usually like to display the prettier relics, like the anubis (sp) statute from Egypt, it's gorgeous, but the chests really come in handy.  I like putting the chests at the foot of the bed, in living room and kitchen.  I too have one from each destination but the Egyptian one goes in the cellar with the nectar-making machine...too ugly.  :D

I think there's room for 15 items in each.  I usually put fragments in also.  Someday I may even be able to make something out of them.  Seems like I'm always getting them.  ::)

Offline wildredchild

• Immortal
  • Meet Sadie :)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 03:47:52 PM »
You can place way more then 15 objects on those chests, they are bottomless like the fridge and bookcase's.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »
I usually like to display the prettier relics, like the anubis (sp) statute from Egypt, it's gorgeous, but the chests really come in handy.  I like putting the chests at the foot of the bed, in living room and kitchen.  I too have one from each destination but the Egyptian one goes in the cellar with the nectar-making machine...too ugly.  :D

I think there's room for 15 items in each.  I usually put fragments in also.  Someday I may even be able to make something out of them.  Seems like I'm always getting them.  ::)

You can recolor the chests just like all of the other objects.  I made my Egyptian treasure chest a very pretty Lapis blue with white marble legs/base and it looks gorgeous :D

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 03:53:12 AM »
I use the treasure chest to hold all my fruit I want to use for nectar. If you put food in the fridge, there is a chance it will be eaten and if I leave it in the sims inventory, he can use it to fertiliize the garden. To stop either of these happening, I was putting all my good grapes and such on the floor in a basement, but because each piece of fruit needs a square of floor, it got very messy. Then I discovered the treasure chest. Now I have one beside my nectar machine and I put all the good fruit in there until I'm ready to make nectar.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

bshag

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 05:29:03 PM »
I love both ideas...recoloring and storing grapes and fruit.  I realized that when sim was hungry, she was eating the uncommon grapes I bought from special merchant.  :o  Now I can keep them from her greedy little fingers.  :D

Offline RockinRobin

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »
I have all my different chests in different colors too. That way it makes it easier to remember what is in which chest.

Bubby_K

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 12:23:56 AM »
I use my box to "give" items to other Sims

See, I created a unique sim who does all the adventuring, and when she comes home with awesome nicknacks, I put them into the box.

I also have this OTHER Sims family a unique home, one with absolutely no indoor-ing... If that makes sense to you :-\ Basically everything is outdoor

Anyways, I got my adventuring Sim to move the box outside (it's easier to access that way, don't have to ring the doorbell to be invited inside). And in that box I put a tent ^-^

I switched to the outdoor family, made them travel over to the adventuring Sim's house, and took the tent out of the box!

anything