Author Topic: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)  (Read 353678 times)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »
It wasn't. I have about 70-odd games, so I wondered as to whether moving them would have any impact on my game's speed.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »
It wasn't. I have about 70-odd games, so I wondered as to whether moving them would have any impact on my game's speed.

Ok, I see.  It might have an impact.  Just be sure to save copies of those games somewhere safe if you want to play them again.  Did you do the computer clean up and defrag in addition to the cleaning in this thread?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2011, 11:24:01 PM »
No because I've done that recently.

Leto85

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »
isn't it true the game makes several copies of the saved town folder within the saves folder? I thought I saw several same like files, though didn't try to delete them.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2011, 12:09:58 PM »
isn't it true the game makes several copies of the saved town folder within the saves folder? I thought I saw several same like files, though didn't try to delete them.

I think you are talking about Backups, Leto. Files with the ending .sims3backup. That is the save before your latest.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Leto85

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2011, 04:16:28 AM »
I think you are talking about Backups, Leto. Files with the ending .sims3backup. That is the save before your latest.

Yes, I indeed mean that. What's the purpose of it? A pre-backup?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2011, 04:21:27 AM »
I've only seen one backup per save file.  There are a total of two files for each game...  the current file being played and the backup of that file from the previous save.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2011, 06:24:50 AM »
I've only seen one backup per save file.  There are a total of two files for each game...  the current file being played and the backup of that file from the previous save.

When backing up complete neighbourhood save files before doing a complete reinstallation it is fine to just backup only the original file, so not the .sims3backup. I tried it and everything works just fine. :)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2011, 06:30:03 AM »
Right.  You only need to make one copy of the file you want to save.  The extra backup file in the game is for when the current file becomes corrupt and you need to restore to a previous save in order to keep your game.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Leto85

« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2011, 07:01:35 AM »
Right.  You only need to make one copy of the file you want to save.  The extra backup file in the game is for when the current file becomes corrupt and you need to restore to a previous save in order to keep your game.

And how do you do that? Deleting the corrupted by hand and removing the 'backup' part out of the .sims3 file?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »
I am picking up my copy of Generations in the morning at Gamestop. I have been thinking about the complete uninstall and reinstall that you guys talk about. 1). What is the difference in doing it the way EA does it compared to the way it is done thru control panel? 2). Is it something that someone like me can do? Yes I have upgraded my memory on my own. I do my own maintenance, with defrag, cookies, history, nortons and stuff. I education myself on my computer to better understand how to runs.

All my EPs are hard copies. All my SPs are hard copies except for Outdoor Living, it is digital download from EA. All of my games are all so backed up into the EDMA so if anything happens to my discs. I have a way access it. Plus it makes it easier to play the games without using the disc all the time.

I have ran the game without uninstalling for almost 3yrs now. Any advice for this non computer smart lady would be helpful  ;D

Thanks in advance...

Shannon

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2011, 11:46:36 PM »
I am picking up my copy of Generations in the morning at Gamestop. I have been thinking about the complete uninstall and reinstall that you guys talk about. 1). What is the difference in doing it the way EA does it compared to the way it is done thru control panel? 2). Is it something that someone like me can do? Yes I have upgraded my memory on my own. I do my own maintenance, with defrag, cookies, history, nortons and stuff. I education myself on my computer to better understand how to runs.

All my EPs are hard copies. All my SPs are hard copies except for Outdoor Living, it is digital download from EA. All of my games are all so backed up into the EDMA so if anything happens to my discs. I have a way access it. Plus it makes it easier to play the games without using the disc all the time.

I have ran the game without uninstalling for almost 3yrs now. Any advice for this non computer smart lady would be helpful  ;D

Thanks in advance...

Shannon

Hi Shannon.

This is a bit off topic for this thread.  I suggest you start a new topic for this issue.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of help.

And how do you do that? Deleting the corrupted by hand and removing the 'backup' part out of the .sims3 file?

The instructions for this are here.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
I got a new file ccmerged in my DC Backup from the new patch. Is it safe to delete too?

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
I got a new file ccmerged in my DC Backup from the new patch. Is it safe to delete too?

Yes, or you can just leave it as the game will regenerate that file every time you play.
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Frey

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
I just noticed there's a WorldCaches folder under EA's folder. Is it OK to empty it too? I always clean my DCCache folder and everything, but I had never noticed this folder before.

anything