Author Topic: Downloads suddenly "interrupted" when using Google Chrome  (Read 51231 times)

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
Downloads suddenly "interrupted" when using Google Chrome
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:40:50 AM »
Hi, long time lurker here, only just recently registered. I have no idea if this deserves its own topic or not, but I wasn't sure if it belonged in "Question about downloading" either.

I have downloaded items from this forum before and everything worked fine. I just recently did a clean re-install of all my launcher items, however, so I came back to re-download a few items. I am using Google Chrome (like I was before), and every time I try to download, my file says "interrupted" and the download aborts. I tried registering to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't. After that I loaded up the forum with IE8 and downloaded a lot perfectly fine without logging in.

Aside from possible Chrome updates, nothing is different on my end. Any idea if this a problem with Chrome or maybe the forums/hosting?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Downloads suddenly "interrupted" when using Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »
Welcome to our Forum!

First, I would suggest that you clear all the browser history from Google Chrome and try downloading again.  It could also just be a temporary issue with Google Chrome.  That's the browser I use and I haven't had any trouble with it.  If the problem persists, let us know so Carl can take a look at it.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 09:28:19 AM »
Thanks, Pam!

Unfortunately, clearing the cache didn't help. I will poke around some more later. I guess it is likely a problem on my end if other Chrome users aren't experiencing it, since Chrome generally updates itself.

Offline hikari91

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:51:41 AM »
Hi, I recently registered as well and I seem to have the same problem but only with the .sim3pack files. I tend to just switch to another browser and it downloads just fine though. So you can try and go that option. Hope this helps.  :)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:32:18 AM »
Strangely enough, I've started having the same problem since I first posted above.  I'm baffled, too. 

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Alexandria_

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:55:01 AM »
I've also been experiencing these problems. I use Google Chrome too, and have cleared all my browsing data with no result.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 04:19:22 AM »
Apparently it's a known issue with this version of Chrome (as you can see on the Chromium bug report site). Since I don't have a way to make SMF tell Chrome the content length of the files, I don't think I can fix it. In laymen's terms, Chrome doesn't know how big the file is so it's crashing the download. This is occurring for people on any site that has that particular type of download. For now, I'd dust off IE.

Chrome is updated to a new version every few months, and from what I see on that page the issue should correct itself when one of the development versions of Chrome goes live. I'm in a similar pickle on my Starcraft 2 Guide, but worse in that the page won't appear without refreshing it to a Chrome viewer. Again, fixed in the future *sigh*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:22:00 AM »
Guys, what about Opera? It is a free browser, just Google-search it. I am using the latest version with no problems.  I've actually downloaded a bulk of files with Chrome too and never had a problem. Though, Opera is better in my opinion. It's your decision anyways. :-\
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Alexandria_

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 07:30:16 AM »
Thanks for that Carl, I'll make sure to use Firefox or IE when downloading.

Choccolatee

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »
Sorry for reviving a semi-old topic, but I just downloaded a lot from the Swap Shop with Google Chrome and it worked. I think they fixed it.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »
I've been able to download using Google Chrome now, too.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

anything