Author Topic: The Sims 3 Generations - First Impressions  (Read 32028 times)

alexdestroyer

The Sims 3 Generations - First Impressions
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:40:08 AM »
Building mode-

I think the only new interesting item in the build mode is the spiral staircase. It was one of the most interesting item that I like since I was always a fan of it since sims 1. However, when you started using it, you find out how stupid EA designed the stair again. Only one person can use it at a time while the other needs to wait at the other end. I think this is still alright, since it only waste my sims a few sims minutes. However, the worst thing that would happen is sometimes, the sim cancelled its interaction and with a family of 7, sometimes I don't realise that until an sims hour later, which is really frustrating, especially when you want to boast the sims mood before it go to work.

Buy mode-

There are a lot of new buy mode items available in this new ep. Even though EA mainly focus on children and elderly on this ep, there are some overall additional of items for example, new trash compressor, hot drink machine, TV and dining tables. Which I think is great for simmers like me who really like to design my house since EA objects generally looks better make than other users’ make objects due to the amount of resources EA has compare to other simmers.

I think the main focus in buy mode is the buy mode is the new bunk bed. Which work extremely well in small houses/flats. The one with bed on top nothing on bottom actually provide a 2 square space for putting items which your sims can use. However, my issue with it is even the best bunk bed sometimes give my sim a “Bad night sleep”, which I don’t like. The other new bed is the sleeping bed. Which only save space and is extremely cheap (100!).

The second most interesting new item must be the Chemistry set. And at last, EA are no longer bias to children and children can also use chemistry set! The chemistry allow users to discover potions which has different effects. However, with my 4 logic children sim, it seems that his discovering new potion is failing. He had an accident 4 times in a row after the first mood enchanter was found. I wonder why……

The other new item is the video camera, which allow your sims to take video and watch them on tv later. However, this new video addition is not like as a money maker as the photo camera from world adventure. But I guess is a good way for sims to look at their memory lane.

EA focus on children this time and added some new toys, however, I find some of it boring since it is only new looks for old item. However, the new items for children are interesting. For example, the tree house does add a additional to my garden while providing a play space for my sims. But I would like it more if I can build my own tree house :). The water slide is also a good additional for my children sims to play outdoor. There is also a range of new playground equinments like the see-saw which allow sims to have fun. EA also added a Cane, which I had not tried out yet but I think is for elderly to use.

Game play-

The first new thing I must mention got to be pranks. Children and teenagers can now set pranks.  I really like setting pranks because when your child sims successfully set a prank, not only they get a 12 hour +20 mood, even the sims who get prank on get a +20 mood for 30 minutes.

The other new thing is the memory book. You can now take pictures which goes into the sims memory book. The system also automatically to shots for you, however, it does start to get annoying when the system have a pop-up message saying do you want to keep a memory of your sim levelling up on a skill/promotion on a job. If I learn 10 skills to level 10, that would be 100 memories our of my 300 max. Does it worth it?

Another new option for children and teens are after school activity. Children can only go to ballet or scout activity (one only) which is on for 3 after school days while teens has a wider chose of music, sport, debut etc. which is on for 2 after school days and a teen can join 2. Children’s activity each raises 2 skill which teens ones only raise one. I personally like the children scout activity since it raise fishing and gardening, and as most know, loots from this two activity doesn’t worth much at start and I always see book reading a waste of time/money (travelling to library takes too long for a family with no cars!)

The boarding school is another addition. I would say the boarding school is definitely for simmers who can’t be bother or can’t raise their children/teen. In the sims world, “operating” the children/teen sims are sometimes boring, and I think this is what boarding school is for. Help simmers skip this boring period. Boarding school fee range from 600-1200.

The other addition is the day carer profession. But since m.sato has talk so much about it, I won’t go into it.

So that’s it. This is everything I had test so far and  I would update my post when I found new thing I haven’t test yet!

CandyHeartedSim

Re: My First Impression on everything about Generation
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »
Great Post  ;D Iwas just wondering if tere are any new skills? I'm not getting the game for several weeks/Months and I'm Just curious  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

alexdestroyer

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »
Don't think there are any new skills, since the chemistry set level up logic.
There might be hidden skill for the hopscrotch, but I'm not 100& sure.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:49:40 AM »
I didn't preorder this one. I thought I'd wait and see what people thought of the game play.

Anyone know what will be in the patch?

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:57:08 AM »
I didn't preorder this one. I thought I'd wait and see what people thought of the game play.

Anyone know what will be in the patch?

I wonder, is there even a patch? I haven't seen the announcement, so...
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »
I wonder, is there even a patch? I haven't seen the announcement, so...

There was already a patch posted at Sims/EA but then they took it down till after the release. It's supposed to have the things like memories and other things that are in the EP. So far I haven't read a lot of real excitement from people who have Generations already. I'll wait for the patch and see what it adds to game play before I plunk down 40.00 for the EP.

Offline NancyJ

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »
The patch has the new age sliders, memories, the camera, new traits, new lifetime rewards and a filter on lifetime rewards to make finding stuff easier (and the 'edit in cas' cheat)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
The patch has the new age sliders, memories, the camera, new traits, new lifetime rewards and a filter on lifetime rewards to make finding stuff easier (and the 'edit in cas' cheat)

Woo, even if I don't get Generations *sniff*, I'll be sure to get that patch! That is a lot for one patch, if you ask me. :o
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline NancyJ

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
Its pretty standard. With all previous expansion releases the new traits, lifetime rewards and interface/options changes have been released in a patch.

Offline m.sato

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:32 AM »
So far the only really interesting thing I've seen in the expansion is the chemistry set, which, among other things, allows sims to get younger for the first time. The pranks and make believe toys are OK, but after school, homework, eating, showering and sleeping is kinda hard to find time for it. Didn't see anything particularly amusing about the bachelor parties; it's a standard party with a NPC dancing - mostly alone - in swinsuit.

No new town or skills. Was it too much to ask???

Offline NancyJ

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »
Another thing I've noticed with the patch is you discover traits just by talking to sims now - even when you're not talking about anything relevant to the trait or using 'get to know' and possibly some more career bugs but I'm still exploring that one

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
Now we can adjust the length of the various life stages individually.  If you want your elders to live longer, just give them a longer time as elders.  Same for any of the other life stages.

A number of new interactions.  Sims that went to one of the boarding school have the option to talk about their school but Sims that didn't go to that particular school seem to find it boring.  One of my existing characters now has the ability to salute because he apparently attended the military school.

The memory notifications do get annoying but there is an option to turn them off.

Overall, I think the new interactions give the game more depth but I'm disappointed they didn't give us any new skills or careers other than the daycare.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »
People, I too hate the lack of skills and careers, but let's face it. Generations isn't really a real expansion pack. According to many interviews from producers, this is just a 'pack' of things that should have been initially included in the base game.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
People, I too hate the lack of skills and careers, but let's face it. Generations isn't really a real expansion pack. According to many interviews from producers, this is just a 'pack' of things that should have been initially included in the base game.

That's why I'm waiting till the price drops before I buy it. Not having a new town really killed it for me. In my mind I just can't justify the purchase.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:43:21 PM »
Assuming that some important features are added in the patch, I too will hold on. Who am I kidding, I'll get it as soon as possible! Lol.

anything