Author Topic: Fixing/Recovering Saved Game - Saved Game Not in Game Launcher or Corrupted  (Read 253445 times)

certain

Re: Fixing/Recovering Saved Game - Saved Game Not in Game Launcher or Corrupted
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 06:05:38 PM »
In my Saves folder I have three objects: two folders, one named xxx.sims3 and the other xxx.sims3.backup...the other file is called xxx.sims3.legacy...So that's obviously not normal for those two to be folders and not regular files. 

In those two folders are five files:

1a5tf1l3.dat
Sunset Valley_0x0859dp3c.nhd
TravelDB.package
Meta.data
Sunset Valley_0x0859db3cExportDB.package

So what do I do?  I desperately need to recover my neighborhood for I have readers who depend on updated chapters.

There's also a folder in the Sims3 folder called CurrentGame.sims3.  Do I need to copy and paste something in there because it's absolutely empty?

I appreciate any replies.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
Hi Certain and welcome to our Forum.

I don't know why you would have a file named .legacy, but to recover your corrupted game with the previous save, you just need to follow the instructions in the first post on this thread.  What you are calling a "folder" is actually the file you need to back up and change the name.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 06:50:11 PM »
What you are calling a "folder" is actually the file you need to back up and change the name.

No, it is actually a folder now. The game saves things differently than when Carl wrote this, it changed with WA I think. It saves folders instead of single files.

So what do I do?

Rename the folder xxx.sims3.backup to xxx.sims3 the way Carl describes and it should work. The instructions are still good, just replace the word "file" with "folder" basically.

I have no idea how there could be a folder called .legacy. Are you sure you didn't name it that yourself?

There's also a folder in the Sims3 folder called CurrentGame.sims3.  Do I need to copy and paste something in there because it's absolutely empty?

No, I think you should just ignore that one. I think the game just uses that for temporary storage while you're playing.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »
Thanks for the info, PJ.  I'll update Carl's post.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 06:59:17 PM »
It changed from one file to a folder with WA since it needed one save file for each destination linked to your game and it stored it conveniently in a folder afterwards. Effectively, the folder functions just as the former file did, just ignore the stuff in the folder; if you tamper with those, you can break your game.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »
In mine when I went to recover my games, I do not have anything with x's in front of it and I also have legacy files that I didn't name, but I do know this, I am not messing with any files or folders, the only thing I will do is try to recover and so far so good.  I do appreciate the info on how to recover and did turn down my graphics, that seemed to help so far and I really cannot tell the difference, as long as it keeps it from crashing.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
I *think* that the '.legacy' folder may be made the first time you open a vanilla game after installing WA.

For example you have a game called Jones 1 that you started with vanilla Sims3, so in the saves folder you have a file called Jones 1.sims3 and a file called Jones 1.sims3.backup.  Now you install WA and re-open Jones 1. As far as I know the game saves your original Jones 1.sims3 as a folder called Jones 1.sims3.legacy and as soon as you save your game makes a new folder called Jones 1.sims3.  Your second save will generate the backup folder to go with the others.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

zamxus

I'm going to use as much detail as I can. And try to help you isolate the problem so you can help me.

I recently started playing the Sims 3 after a long time of having it on my shelf completely uninstalled. I missed the feeling of power that came with controlling their lives. After installing the most recent updates, I began playing and toying with new features and even some .package files from modthesims. Occasionally, an unimportant save would disappear. Giving me the outline of an uncreated family and my town name. The town would load instantly before saying that the game was unable to load the files. Recently, I made a game of myself and my friends and allowed things to take their course. (I won't give you the extreme details here). They began as teens (using the testingcheats, I deleted the adult they were with after they moved into a good house). And I made their needs static as I found micromanaging their bladder and hunger and the like was too much of an annoyance. I used the cheats to make the Sim me die of starvation. My "best friend" received the Oh My Ghost! opportunity and revived my sim. I then moved them out and deleted the human left to watch the Ghost me. Soon my sim-ghost started a relationship, moved in with his Romantic Interest, had her break up with her boyfriend. And Married her. They had a Ghost-Baby and I closed the game when they were all home. I saved the game approximately 7 or 8 times in total. Now, when I attempt to load it; I get the outline of the uncreated family, and when I hover over the file it reads "*town name* This file could not be read. It may have expansion pack data which is not available anymore". I have not installed any expansions, nor do I own any. All the tips say to delete the folder and rename the backup. I've done this many times and IT DOES NOT WORK. Now, I come to you. And seeing your capability I hope you can help me. This is by far my favorite save file and I do not want to risk changing a single thing in the story progression. Please help me.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
zamxus, welcome to the forums. Just a quick heads up — please read the forum rules in my sig, especially the one concerning mods. Do not discuss mods. Do not mention specific mods. Now that that's all out on the table given the fact that you did mess with some internal files, that could very well be the source of your problem. I'm not a techie, so hopefully someone else can assist you.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
Welcome to our Forum, zamxus.

I agree with Metro that the cause of your problem could very well be the mods you have installed.  They can cause wicked damage to your game.   I suggest that you create a new topic for your problem rather than putting it here in this instruction thread.  You can get some specific help that way.  When you do, please do not mention the name of the site where you got the mods.  I'll remove your post from this thread once you've got a new thread started.  Thanks!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Burgos

Hey there,

Any news about how to fix this problem, besides backuping every now and then?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
Any news about how to fix this problem, besides backuping every now and then?

Which specific problem are you referring to?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline alyssa.cole

• Townie
Wow. Just want to post a HUGE thanks for the detailed instructions in this topic.
I was able to salvage my Immortal Dynasty file from a nasty loop of being completely stuck in France. It would have been a devastating loss well into the third generation and (too many?) hours spent building and decorating. Again, many thanks for sharing this advice!

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 10:56:02 PM »
What if you're computer is a Mac?
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 11:03:02 PM »
What if you're computer is a Mac?

The path to the saved game files listed in the first post is essentially the same on a Mac. Follow that path starting with your Users folder.