Author Topic: The mysterious trash glitch  (Read 23719 times)

Offline Tiberium_Glow

• Llama Wrangler
The mysterious trash glitch
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:54:07 AM »
We've all heard about it...Sims complaining of a phantom trash pile that we simply cannot see. We've replaced fridges and trash cans, perhaps even remodeled entire homes, only to find that our Sims continue to hallucinate, complaining endlessly of the filth around them.

I'd heard of this glitch, but had never experienced it...until now. The Gaia family began whining about a trash pile, though I searched high and low, and found nothing. I began to consider moving my household...but remembering how much trouble I went through the last time I did that...pulling so many things at once out of the family inventory that the game would crash, rearranging my precious supply of cut gems, replanting fruits and vegetables...no, just no.

So I decide to go scientific, and perform an experiment. I usher my beloved digital family into the basement, enter Build Mode, and nuke the entire house. BAM. I go back into Live Mode, and what happens? All four Sims whine at once about invisible trash. I mentally bash my head on my keyboard multiple times. Okay, so that didn't work. Time to delete the basement. I move everybody out onto the now-empty lot, and begin demolishing the walls of my massive subterranean treasure storage.

Then I see it.

Yes, that is a pile of trash, suspended high above the basement floor at ceiling level, most of which is now demolished (you can see the second level of the basement beneath). I find that I can grab the trash with the hand, and dispose of it.

Since I obviously haven't saved the game, having destroyed my Sims' entire property, I exit, then reenter the game. I go to the same spot, and find the trash still suspended near the basement ceiling, and finally rid my Sims of what in fact wasn't a hallucination at all, but a quirky glitch...and here I thought my constant state of epic insanity was rubbing off on them.

Lesson learned...if your Sims begin complaining about trash you can't see....search the darned ceiling, because it's probably stuck in an alternate dimension just beyond the reach of Sims.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: The mysterious trash glitch
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:08:35 AM »
Now, that's bizarre!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tiberium_Glow

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:27:05 AM »
Exactly. When I first came across the garbage floating there, all I said was, "Weird!" I'm just glad I found it.

lil_crazy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
That's a weird and sort of funny glitch. ???

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 01:34:47 PM »
These might help (they helped whenever I had the mysterious trash glitch):
1. Get a "Neat" sim an click on the floor. "Clean House" Normally they'll go to it and clean it up.

2. Hire a Maid.

3 Do what you did and demolish everything until you find it then have a sim take care of it.

Grandpa Muleskinner

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Glad to hear you got rid of the trash.

Anyone care to speculate as to how it got there.   ???
 :o

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 05:29:51 PM »
Great post, Tiberium Glow!  Thanks for sharing that with us.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tiberium_Glow

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 12:13:58 AM »
1. Get a "Neat" sim an click on the floor. "Clean House" Normally they'll go to it and clean it up.

2. Hire a Maid.

Except that neither of these will work when the trash is literally stuck to the ceiling. A Sim would repeatedly start the action, "Clean Up" then complain and do the foot-stomping thing because they quite frankly could not reach it.

I may be one of a very small minority, but I love the frustrated pathfinding animations. It amuses me to no end. I just giggle to myself whenever I hear a Sim rant out loud, because I'm reminded of myself when I get irritated. I think of my Sims as my children, in a way. :)  The only time I got irritated with the pathfinding issue was when they were searching for the trash that I couldn't see...I thought the game was borking, when it fact there really was trash stuck somewhere.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:48:52 AM »

2. Hire a Maid.

Except that neither of these will work when the trash is literally stuck to the ceiling. A Sim would repeatedly start the action, "Clean Up" then complain and do the foot-stomping thing because they quite frankly could not reach it.

I've had this very thing happen to me.  I had a great family who lived on the plot where the Wolfe house is.  I had that negative moodlet and the inability to find the trash.  It was awful!  I never found it because I eventually moved on to another game and didn't go back because of that issue.  I thought the lot was just bugged after playing on it for so long.  I don't know how I ever would have found trash on the ceiling anyway!  Lol.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Tiberium_Glow

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 02:43:33 AM »
LOL, I just had a crazy idea...it would be cool if I could get copies of people's savegames that had the glitch, and find the garbage for them.

I can see it now: Tiberium Glow, the trash seeker! :D

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:04:03 AM »
Funny, but I wouldn't advise it for real. There's no telling what kind of mod madness you'd end up with in your game.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Grandpa Muleskinner

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »
Just curious... was this lot with trash stuck in the ceiling...

1) an original ts3 (game developer lot)
2) a downloaded lot from the official ts3 forum or fan-site
3) a lot that you built
4) other

Thanks

TheLostGirls

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »
Glad to hear you got rid of the trash.

Some angry poltergist decided to mess with your mind.

Offline Tiberium_Glow

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 12:42:01 AM »
Just curious... was this lot with trash stuck in the ceiling...

1) an original ts3 (game developer lot)
2) a downloaded lot from the official ts3 forum or fan-site
3) a lot that you built
4) other

Thanks

It's the Alto lot. Only thing I changed was alter the color of the mansion(coral pink isn't my color), and add some stuff to pretty it up.

I believe the trash actually came from when one of my Sims was getting rid of some dead plants. Some way or another, the trash ended up in that in-between space, instead of the garbage can.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 07:12:48 AM »

Some angry poltergist decided to mess with your mind.
Only thing I changed was alter the color of the mansion
Maybe the new colouring had traces of some exotic metal particles that attracted a temporary black hole that spit out a trash pile from the 57th dimension, which is only inhabited by floating baseballs named "Hank".

You never know...
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

anything