Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 327369 times)

Offline Lizzy

• Townie
Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2011, 09:05:03 AM »
I wasn't feeling so wel the last 2 days, I had a minor surgery Tuesday, but I'm alive again..

Got Pepper up for adoption at my blog now :D
http://magicalbreedings.blogspot.com/2011/10/pepper.html

Every adoption comes with 2 files.
1 Petfile for CAS mode (without skills)
1 Household including rider

Also managed to adopt a male black unicorn from the wild, when he trained some traits he will be used to breed purebred "unifoals" :D

This is my farm btw :D

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
  • Closest possible to real me!
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2011, 01:46:53 PM »
I'm here with another question I'm afraid  ;)

How do you keep each horse to it's own stall?  Both my attempts at ranching my horses went in which ever stall they fancied, often swapping about daily. So I'm curious how middle stall is the stallion and the outer 2 are the mares. Is there some training I'm not doing or what? Thanks again

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »
I'm here with another question I'm afraid  ;)

How do you keep each horse to it's own stall?  Both my attempts at ranching my horses went in which ever stall they fancied, often swapping about daily. So I'm curious how middle stall is the stallion and the outer 2 are the mares. Is there some training I'm not doing or what? Thanks again

As far as I have seen you can't, unless it's like Sim Beds where if you make them go in there enough they use it more? Although I did see that Mary had fenced areas outside each Stall so maybe she locks the Horses in there and that makes it their stall?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

MaryMarsh

« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »
I'm here with another question I'm afraid  ;)

How do you keep each horse to it's own stall?  Both my attempts at ranching my horses went in which ever stall they fancied, often swapping about daily. So I'm curious how middle stall is the stallion and the outer 2 are the mares. Is there some training I'm not doing or what? Thanks again

In the photo, note that I have a corale adjacent to each stall. With the gates locked, they can't get into another horse's corale or stall. This configuration is specifically for breeding. I wanted an efficient means of breeding mares, where there is virtually no chance that another horse or human sim will interfer with the breeders' movement to the stall during Try for Foal.

Coincidentally, once a mare is impregnated I can let them out into the larger pasture.

Here's the stallion I plan to move onto the new lot. His name is Jadaan (the real Jadaan was a W.C. Kellogg horse who was featured in the silent motion picture, Son of the Shiek, with Rudolf Valentino). Graphically, he's as close to the Arabian stallion after whom he's named as I could make him. Clint, Abbie, and their daughter, Sabra, are training him and Sabra will begin taking him to competition. I plan on training up and attaining Jumping Star and Racing Champion on Jadaan and Scenic's two fillies before they are moved over with Sabra to the breeding facility.

By marylcmarsh at 2011-10-27

Offline simlishlol

• Self-proclaimed aficionado
  • Immortal
  • U leik my horsie?
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »
Woohoo! Just got my copy of Pets! I'm installing it now, I'll be sure to try making a ranch. :) It looks very cool!
When life gives you founders, you make an immortal dynasty!
Feel free to call me Simlish ;D

MaryMarsh

« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »
Woohoo! Just got my copy of Pets! I'm installing it now, I'll be sure to try making a ranch. :) It looks very cool!

Excellent, simlishlol !!! I know you'll be quickly addicted to life on the ranch.

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
YAY another ranchie.  I know I said I was going off to take smaller steps learning how to handle more than one sim properly, but I couldn't resist.  I just had to make another ranch.  This time I've made a married couple and 2 horses.  Plus I now know how to queue actions so i'm sure that will help. [I hope LOL]

I just couldn't stay away  ;)

Mary do you manage to lock a gate to allow only 1 horse in and the sims?  Or do you lock it to all and only unlock it long enough to call the horses in? [yeah I finally learned you have to call them in to the stall at night.  So you get to choose which stall each uses]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »
Normally, if there's more than one horse near a gate I send the unwanted horse to "Go Here," then unlock the gate and beckon the wanted horse through. When I'm feeling lazy, I go into Buy mode and with MoveObject enabled, simply put the horse where I want it.

=====================

Sad day on Saracen Arabian Farm! I had all three of my human sims doing training. While I was observing Sabra and Abbie on the advanced courses, Clint was training on the International course. He caught fire and died before I could get him extinguished. In deference to his passing, all farm activities will be suspended for the balance of this (human day). Rest in peace, Clint. In Memorium, Clint's gravesite has been placed on the International Training Facility grounds. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to your favorite charity.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2011, 05:27:48 PM »
Oh no!  I hate losing a sim to something preventable like that.  It happened in my Starr dynasty with my Gen. 1 spouse.  Agnes had a horrible sculpting accident and I wasn't paying attention to her.  By the time I realized she was on fire it was too late...

Have you thought about growing death flowers to give to your sims for just such an emergency.  I know it takes away from the realism you seem to be striving for, but it's a nice little insurance policy just in case.

RIP, Clint.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2011, 05:34:35 PM »
Have you thought about growing death flowers to give to your sims for just such an emergency.  I know it takes away from the realism you seem to be striving for, but it's a nice little insurance policy just in case.
I thought about it, but never followed through. I've looked for death flower plants a few times at the cemetery, but have never found any. Abbie also has been slowly trying to get her fishing skill up in hope of getting a death flower seed, but to no avail. Kind of upset because Clint and Abbie were going to Try for Baby tonight and that child was going to be a gardener. Oh, well, life happens.

Offline DoubleWe

• Townie
« Reply #160 on: October 28, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »
Hallo everyone. 

In horse perspective you click on the ground and decide this will be their favorite spot. When they go to sleep they always do on this location. For example if you decide this stall is the favorite spot of this horse it will always go there in stead of another stall.

Mary! I follow this thread a while now and I was captivated from the first line. Because of you I wanted to start my own ranch like so many others. Of course first attempt was rather bad and I don't really am a builder. I like your farm very much but it wouldn't be mine so I had to try for my own. Sadly I had no clue how it should look and ... let's just say it was a disaster. I'll try again anyway. I wanted to thank you for all your shared wisdom and inspiration! Also I have a question. Did you build/purchase the Hospital (thing) you wanted to?

*bows head in memorial of Clint*

Offline Wevee

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2011, 07:48:50 AM »
Hallo everyone. 

In horse perspective you click on the ground and decide this will be their favorite spot. When they go to sleep they always do on this location. For example if you decide this stall is the favorite spot of this horse it will always go there in stead of another stall.

That may have been the intention, but I don't think that always works, as I still have to tell mine where to sleep most nights.

VampirePlasma

« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
Going to give this a shot now, 2 sims and how many horses?

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2011, 09:56:43 AM »
Mary started with 1 male 3 female horses.  I can't handle that many but I'm a rookie  :P

VampirePlasma

« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »
Okay then 2 sims 3 horses, and no cheating right...?

anything