Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 325498 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
Np. :) I'm just totally impressed with your knowledge of horse stuff and I wanted to jump on the opportunity to have you help us asap.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 01:31:42 PM »
@Salty — you do the Romantic social "Try for Foal" outside of the stable. Then, they go into the stable on their own.

I did just that and that is when the first horse went into the stable and second horse got the pathing issue bubble over his head, but I will try it again and see.  But it said that there was room for only one horse.  I know I just repeated myself, lol. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
LOLOL ... my knowledge of 'horse stuff' stems entirely from mucking out 18 stalls three times every week; so, I suppose you could say it amounts to horse pucky!  :D I reckon there's about 100 hours of really hard work for every minute spent in a show ring. Before my dad would ever let me take my first jump there was two years of twice weekly dressage lessons. And we didn't do rodeo on our farm -- foals were put on a lead as soon as their little heads would fit a halter, then two and a half years on lounge line and ground driving. By the time an animal was developed enough to ride he'd already worn a saddle for months; getting on and riding was then a piece of cake. Thank GAWD Sims Pets circumvents all that.

I kind of wish Sims 3 Pets was a little more like gardening, where each succeeding generation is better than the last -- the goal of animal husbandry is to improve the breed -- so, with careful selection of mates for extant breeding stock the offspring are USUALLY better than their forebears (and more valuable). This is most effectively characterized in a game by demonstrating improved performance; vis a vis racing/jumping/cross country competitions. I really do hope EA can add this component at some point. There would then be a reason for continued play well beyond achievement of the Lifetime Wish. But that's just me  ;D

I still hope EA will come out with a Farm expansion, where we get cows, chickens, and pigs. The purpose would be to breed animals that yield higher produce over a series of generations (and with careful breeding). Perhaps the mechanism allowing such game progression could be extended to horses, dogs, and cats. With Pets, the foundation is certainly in place. An add-on would include a county fair, with midway and livestock competitions (much like the competitions at the current equestrian center). Barn dances would provide temporary respite for hardworking sim farmers/ranchers.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 01:47:55 PM »
Salty ... try a different stall. As I said, I've had great luck with the 'Washington Stall.' Not once have I ever gotten a message that a stall was too small; so, I posit you need to try a different stall.

Offline Lizzy

• Townie
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »
Lizzy ... and Welsh ponies, Shetlands, Clydesdales, Belgian Coach Horses, and Percherons ...  ;D Still, the list of available breeds is amazing. They even have Anglo-Arabs (half Thoroughbred/half Arabian). Really incredible job by EA.

Yes!! I was missing Shetlands too, would be perfect for kids :P

Saltypaws ... thank you!!!

When breeding my animals I never click on the stall. Rather, I do this:

1. Once the 'Romantic' option is available I simply click on my intended mate and select 'Try for Foal.'

2. On their own accord, one of the horses will enter a nearby stall and the mate will follow. Thereafter they will woohoo with no further actions by you.

3. I've found that I sometimes have to click Try for Foal several times before the mare is impregnated. Also, if you do not hear the Rock-a-bye Baby tune the mare most likely is not pregnant. Other sim animals or sim humans can get in the way too, which necessitates multiple attempts at Try for Foal. My sim human wants to always let the horses out of the stall which, I suppose, results in coitus interuptus  ;D To prevent this I usually send her to watch TV while breeding is in progress.

I tried the Lifetime Rewards stall (Self-cleaning Stall), but was unsuccessful in getting any of my horses to use it for woohoo. Instead, I purchased Washington Stalls, from Buy mode, which have worked just fine.

Thanks!! I will try to tomorrow :D  (2 busy playing with kittens at the moment LOL)

MaryMarsh

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »
Well, don't let me give you the idea that breeding Sim horses is super simple. I just spent an entire Sim day getting two mares bred -- horses kept getting in the way of their path to the stall or they got hung up on themselves getting there and the Try for Foal icon went away. I finally put up a fence between the main pasture and the barn, which with the gate locked prevented other horses from blocking their path. Even so, I didn't get the Rock-a-bye Baby tune until three or four successful woohoos.

In real life the horse breeding process can be a real PITA and this game is no different; though, thank goodness, there's no need to have a veterinarian out every day to determine if a difficult mare is ovulating.

It just takes patience.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »
And it was very much worth the trouble ...

New babies, with proud papa looking on.

By marylcmarsh at 2011-10-21

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
  • Closest possible to real me!
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »
With you for inspiration I started my own little horse ranch this evening.  2 mares, 1 stallion and 1 sim. This is hard work for me to juggle as I've only ever played a single sim so far. Anyway I built a very simplified version of house and stables as a starter, and fenced in the lot [not forgetting a gate of course]. Plenty of time to expand on it later. They have space, stalls, hay, water trough, salt lick and a ball.  I have a feeling most of my weekend will be spent learning how to care for a sim and 3 animals all at the same time. I'm looking forward to it though so thank you for inspiring me to give it a go.  ;D

On the practical side, I'm guessing my sim should take  riding lessons to start learning to ride?  She's has actually ridden one of her horses, at a walk, twice now.  However she  doesn't have a skill-learning bar above her head.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 06:11:25 PM »
I didn't take lessons with my Sim, though I probably should have (sometimes I get real life mixed with Sim life  ::) )

You get the skill learning bar only at the gallop. The same applies to  horses' racing skill.

It's actually not too difficult to handle a human sim and multiple pets. Only rarely do I have to click on a pet to control it, which is to say I'm playing my human sim about 95%. You'll find that when your human sim wants to interact with an animal the horse will stand still and let her do as she wishes. Normally I click on horses only during relationship building and breeding, or to move them out of the way. Still, with three horses to care for you'll be plenty busy ... and you'll love it!

Offline cassims

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 06:50:55 PM »

By marylcmarsh at 2011-10-21

Left to right: Invictus (son of Scenic and Havivi), Scenic (my breeding stallion), Medina (brood mare), Havivi (brood mare), and Sabrina (brood mare).

Is Scenic named after the great racing horse, whose bloodline has almost died out? Or is it just a coincidence?
It always seems impossible until its done.
-Nelson Mandela

MaryMarsh

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »
Actually, no. Scenic was my registered Arabian gelding when I was still living on the farm. He was a descendant of Racine, one of the famous Kellogg Arabian Stallions of the 1920s and 30s. My three Sim broodmares, Sabrina, Havivi, and Medina, were also mares from my childhood; each of which I raised from foals, ground broke, and ultimately rode in show.

Offline Lizzy

• Townie
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 03:06:31 AM »
Having horses and a garden (with tomatoes, potatoes, onions, etc.) is so funny. They actually eat my crops, very realistic. Love that they thought about such details.

Just Self-employed as a horsewoman, now we'll see how I do breeding.  ;D

I really love the color of Sabrina. So realistic with the darker legs and stuff.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 03:43:07 AM »
I love the idea and how you are documenting how to do it Mary!  :D You've almost got me twitching to do a ranch now! I just have to summon the inspiration to build the ranch, of which I will be too impatient to do...

Slight Question is, are you making a good profit on the sales of the horses to cater for your Sims needs and the other Horses as well as refurbishments to the Lot? I'm just wondering at how much of a business opportunity it is.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Lizzy

• Townie
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 04:32:42 AM »
My horse just gave birth to her first foal.

Dad (Blitz) a Gypsy Vanner

Mom (Aires)  is a British Warmblood

MaryMarsh

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 06:45:38 AM »
Well done, Lizzy! Don't you just love the new foals?  :D

---

samoht,

income is directly proportional to the work your sim invests. Untrained horses sell for 5-6K each. Trained horses can sell for 11K on up. You can sell stallion services for 1K and more, and you get nice cash rewards for winning competitions. In the Lifetime wishes there's a Celestial Salt Like which can give your horses a nice moodlet; it also routinely spawns gnome horses that can be sold for 1K. It does take work -- my sim literally has no time for anything but the ranch -- but you can make a very nice income.