Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 325546 times)

MaryMarsh

Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
Just had my first encounter with a unicorn. He appeared next to my barn and I told him to 'stop doing that' and shood him away. Don't want nasty unicorn blood mixing with my purebreds. LOL

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2011, 02:57:12 AM »
Just had my first encounter with a unicorn. He appeared next to my barn and I told him to 'stop doing that' and shood him away. Don't want nasty unicorn blood mixing with my purebreds. LOL

LOL, you must be the first Simmer to turn a Unicorn away!  ;D

I asked Pam where I should put my Ranch Tale, since I want to document what I do but it isn't a story, if you know what I mean? I didn't want to hijack your thread either Mary with my own stuff and confuse your readers, Pam said for now to post it in the Pets board and if so it can be moved later on. So first I have to start again, not happy with my other attempt, way too "Rich Families Posh Stables" for a working Ranch. I'm thinking I'm going to do Shire Horses, there are tonnes around where I live, Farming County.  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »
samoht04 ... no worries. Believe it or not, I've never been a big-time forum type person. I just got tired of playing in isolation and wanted to share what I was doing. I've really loved reading about what you guys are doing with your ranches.

My sim, Abbie, is getting lonely; so, I'm going to create a male sim who'll live nearby. He'll also be a horseperson, with a stallion and a couple of broodmares. I'll try to cross socialize not only he and Abbie, but their horses as well. Gonna see if I can extend Scenic's progeny to a neighboring lot.  ;D

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
  • Closest possible to real me!
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2011, 10:48:16 AM »
My sim, Abbie, is getting lonely; so, I'm going to create a male sim who'll live nearby. He'll also be a horseperson, with a stallion and a couple of broodmares. I'll try to cross socialize not only he and Abbie, but their horses as well. Gonna see if I can extend Scenic's progeny to a neighboring lot.  ;D

Does this mean you'll play both files? Is it possible to play 2 files that run along the same timeline? Now I'm even more interested in hearing how you do if that's possible  ;D

I have decided I don't like having to work for a living. I really missed playing today! Now to go make up for it, and I was thinking of restarting too.  Now that I have a little more knowledge on what horse care is so I can do it correct from the start, I want to try a different breed cos I feel like I'm copying you, MaryMarsh [which is exactly what I did, copying to the best of my ability, which isn't a patch on what you can do] So I'm going to look for a different one to that the rest of you have picked and just see how the breed affects the play. I would love to do a ranch for riding lessons, like for children and disabled to learn and experience caring for a horse, but that's not an option in sims pets. I shall just dream on. haha.

Offline Lizzy

• Townie
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
I have been so smart to forget that unicorns can't be sold  :-\
So I have to set them free into the wild to continue breeding...

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2011, 12:28:21 PM »
 :o Oh that's a huge snag to your plans.  Are you going to choose another horse breed instead?

MaryMarsh

« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
Lesley ... I tried playing both families, and they interracted fine, but it was a pain in the butt switching back and forth. I finally married Abbie to her new love and they are living on the original ranch. The new husband's name is Clint Brown. He had one Appaloosa mare who also joined the household. The Appaloosa mare, Jemima, is currently in foal to Scenic.

Would be sweet if EA could create a dual client so we could control more than one household at one time.

Scenic is back in competion again -- doing International show jumping en route to his Jumping Star title (a component of his jumping skill). He just won his second International show jumping competition. The space I allocated for trophies is filled up; so, I've packed all the Advanced and Beginner trophies in a tomb trunk and only have the International ones on display.

My next challenge will be to get Ciint, Abbie, and their respective horses to the Equine Center and do simultaneous competitions.

I'm still really happy with my original ranch. The house is more than adequate for a married couple and child (and I made provision for a staircase for a second floor should I decide for more than one child). Not sure I can cope with all the horses and children too. Even with Clint helping with the stock, it'll still be quite the juggling act to keep everything on the ranch humming.

All of Abbie's riding skills are maxed and I'll be working on Clint's skills. He's already a level-10 rider. With 5 horses on the lot there's only one spot left for foals, so I'm going to sell off Sabrina -- she glitches whenever I try to ride her off the lot, so she's the logical choice. One of my long-term goals in the game was to cross a color breed with my Arabians and that's why I'm keeping Jemima (the Appaloosa mare). Here's a photo of her.

By marylcmarsh at 2011-10-24

Jemima's conformation and head are fine for an Appaloosa, but I want to stamp the Arabian look on her foals while retaining the coloring. In real life, one of the most beautiful horses I've ever seen is a 7/8 Arabian with Appaloosa markings. Jemima has the classic Appy blanket on her rump.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lizzy

• Townie
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »
:o Oh that's a huge snag to your plans.  Are you going to choose another horse breed instead?

I'll keep breeding unicorns, and use the "failed foals" (horses instead of unicorns) to sell :)
I've got Pepper ready as a download with a rider, and as a pet in CAS mode.
But I'll be visiting a friend tonight so no time right now to post it on my blog  ;D

MaryMarsh

« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
Lizzy ... don't feel bad. I didn't know you couldn't sell Unicorns. I haven't really paid attention to them because I'm trying to play the game more straight up, without all the silliness and fantasy. (ABSOLUTELY no indictment on the game or those who are into unicorns, magic, and such.)

MaryMarsh

« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
Here is the result of crossing Scenic with Jemima (half Arabian/Appaloosa). I named her Brendisi. Abbie's husband, Clint, is in the background.

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »
Beautiful !!  What more can I say?

MaryMarsh

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »
His coloring was nice, but when he aged up he had the same wedge-head as his dam; so, I'll keep trying.

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2011, 05:56:38 PM »
Well I did it.  Restarted with single sim and 4 Anglo-Arab horses. Cheat 80k simoleons for house, barn, fencing, jumps etc. This time I'm trying without Ambitious trait.  I added Green thumb instead.  Will see if I can get her raising a small garden as well this time. I haven't made the garden this time, basically I ran out of time [11pm here in UK now and I do have work tomorrow]

Lets see if I can work this better this time  :)

Leto85

« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2011, 07:47:32 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone already have succeeded in breeding one black and one white unicorn together. I like to see if the outcome is grey (it probably will be) and how that one will look. :)

MaryMarsh

« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2011, 07:56:37 PM »

anything