Author Topic: Sims 3 - Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide  (Read 855634 times)

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide

Updated: January 2024

Sims 3 does not come with a ready-made mods folder. You will either need to create one or download one. It needs to be created or added into your sims 3 folder in documents.

This is a step by step guide into creating a Mods Folder, for anyone who has never used mods before and doesn't know where to start. Or choose to grab the mods folder already put together by MrsFlynn. See last link in the Index below.

Quick Link Index:
  - Having a hard time getting your mods to work? Click Here
  - Important Notes
  - Where Do the Mods and Custom Content Go?
  - Creating the Mods Folder
  - Extract the .package Files

- Download a new Sims 3 folder with mods folder included here, from SimFileShare.net

- To Download just the Sims 3 mods folder, click here. From Simfileshare.net ~ Add your own mods and CC files

~ Important Notes:

You don't need WinRAR or 7-zip to actually download any game mods or custom content. Go to CC or mod site of choice and download the files to your computer from there. Downloading to your desktop is recommended for temporary and then move off to a usb drive or external hard drive for storage.

Contact the specific site for help, if you're having issues downloading any content from their site. We are not able to help with that.

Mac users can try  Keka. Windows has a zip program built into it that can be used to unzip any mod or CC files.

~ Where Do the Mods and Custom Content Go?

Sims 3 does not come with a ready-made mods folder. You will either need to create one or download one. It needs to be created or added into your sims 3 folder in documents. Not the Games or Program Files (x86) folder.

User files should be located here: (by default)
--
C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

==
Game install files should be located here: (by default)

Digital Download Version
C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 3
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3 (64-bit - Windows)
C:\Program Files\Origin Games\The Sims 3 (32-bit - Windows)

The Original Disc Version - pre 2012 version
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 (64-bit - Windows)

** The newer disc versions may default install to Origin Games or EA Games, from Feb. 2023 and on.

~Back to top

~ Creating the Mods Folder:

Step 1:
Under the start up menu, Go to: \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. Or simply type in "Electronic Arts" in the search bar. Look for it under Documents.

Example: C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

Step 2:
When you open the folder, create a new folder and name it "Mods." 
-- To create a folder, right-click in the folder and select New > Folder and give it a name.

Step 3:
Under that folder, create another new folder, and name it "Packages." This is where you download your .package files to or copy/paste them to.

Step 4:
You will need to download the Resource cfg file. Right click Save As, into the Mods folder.

Extract the newly installed file, to activate it. You will need to move the newly extracted cfg file, out of the Resource folder, to the Mods one. If you get an error, remove the old resource file, then change the folder to another name. Copy the cfg file, and paste it onto the Mods folder. Remove renamed folder (formally Resource) from that same Mods folder.

Alternative download link:

---> See the attached zip file at the bottom of this post.

Unzip it by double-clicking the file. Right-click and select open on the folder it creates. Right-click on the Resourse.cfg file and select Copy then Paste it into the Mods folder.

-- C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\mods

Installing Mods:
On the website, you are downloading the mods from, (Nraas, modthesims.info), right click the rar or zip files and select "Save Target As..." Save the files to your desktop or backup media of choice - like a USB key or external hard drive.

~Back to top

~ Extract the .package Files

Windows Users:
Windows has a zip program built into it that can be used to unzip any mod or CC files. However if you prefer, you can install 7-Zip or Winrar (Thank you, Hosfac. Totally pulled a Homer Simpson!) I personally use WinRar.

WARNING! WinRar is a nag program that will pester you into updating for a fee. Good news is that you can simply ignore it.

Windows 7 users has a free unzipper for extracting files. (Thank you, Seabody)

Mac Users: You will need to install Keka for extracting files. (Thank you, NonaMena)

Right click on the zip/rar file, and select "Extract..." This will create a folder. Inside that folder is a Package file, which is the game mod or custom content you downloaded. Again, if you have downloaded CC this way, as appose to a .Sims3Pack file, this method is no different.

I hope my step by step guide, has helped you. If you're planning on deciding which mods are best for you, be sure to do your homework, before you know what you're getting into.

A great mod creator, always updates within each EA patch, will answer any questions if anything goes wrong, and be able to tell which mods are conflicting. Also, downloading a module without the base mod, will cause your game to crash at the loading screen. (Example: Downloading a vet career at MTS without Twallan's career mod!)

Parents, Guardians and Older Siblings: While mods can help improve your Sims 3 game and performance, some mods will add mature content, breaking the game's T for Teen Rating! That being said, you should do more intensive research, on what package files will be installed into your modified Sims 3 game, if you share your game and PC with your young children, and/or siblings.

This is a family friendly website, so no such mods will ever be discussed here. If you ever happen to run in a website, be sure you delete the browser history, just to be on the safe side.  :)

That being said, have a happy Simming!
Jeana

~Back to top 

~ Having a hard time getting your mods to work? Try this:

✽ Please backup any mods and custom content you have before trying this. ✽

1. Go to C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. Create a folder called Mods. In this folder, create 2 more folders, one called Packages and the other called Overrides.

In Packages you could create these sub-folders *Optional*: (depending on how you want to organize your custom content and mods.)

– CustomContent - Add custom content .package files
– MTS (Mod the Sims) is mods from that site.
– Nraas - mods from that site.

The Overrides folder is optional, it's not necessarily needed unless you download a lot of override mods.

2. Download the resource.zip file located here unzip it so you should have a file called resource.cfg, and put this file in the Mods folder.

3. After you've installed any custom content or mods, such as default replacements, or game mods, you need to delete the 5 cache files in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3:

– CasPartCache.package -- CAS parts that appear in Create-A-Sim
  – compositorCache.package -- New objects that would appear in Buy/Build mode
  – scriptCache.package -- Mods or Hacks
  – simCompositorCache.package -- New Sims, default skins
  – socialCache.package -- Simport-related and other social data, if you use the wall to integrate with your MyPage on thesims3.com site

These files are safe to delete.  They'll regenerate when the game starts.

~Back to top

~ Reference Link:

On the page linked below there is a ready-made FrameworkSetup.zip File that provides a mods folder containing the Resource.cfg, Override and Packages folders. As well as instructions on how to put it all together.

Installing Sims 3 Package Files/Setup and Files
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

NonaMena's Tutorial on How To: Create and Use an Overrides folder.
https://nonasims.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/tutorial-how-to-create-and-use-an-overrides-folder/

A couple of links to help with Unzipping a file:

Zip and unzip files
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028088/windows-10-zip-and-unzip-files

How to Unzip a File
https://www.wikihow.com/Unzip-a-File

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Creating a Mods Folder/Installing Mods Step by Step Guide.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »
Sorry, but can I just point out two things?

Step 3:
Under that folder, create another new folder, and name it "Package." This is where you download your Sims3package files.

I believe the folder needs to be called Packages. It may seem insignificant, but it's case-sensitive and you have to spell it right.

To extract the Sims3package files:
You will need to install 7-Zip (This is for Windows Users. I have Windows, so I'm not sure how it will work for Mac, if you use a Mac and use mods, you can let me know so I can update this) These are your mods.

Right click on the zip/rar file, and select "Extract..." This will create a folder. Inside that folder is a Package file, which is the mod you downloaded. Again, if you have downloaded CC this way, as appose to a Sims3pak, this method is no different.

Windows 7 comes with a free unzipper. Right Click on the Zipped file and choose "Extract...".

That aside, thank you! I read almost the same thing on NRaas Industries Wiki, but I think this is easier to understand.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:17:49 PM »
Step 1:
On the Start Menu, you will find a Search Bar, (For Windows Vista and 7 Users), select the "Electronic Arts" folder.

The Mods folder goes in The Sims 3 folder not the Electronic Arts folder.

Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3

A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:19:41 PM »
You're welcome. Nope, it can be package. I always called mine package, and it runs just fine.  :)

*Smacks on Hand* Thanks for pointing that out Grimsoul.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:21:37 PM »
No problem, Glad to be of help. :)
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:38:53 PM »
I just downloaded MasterController, using your method (plus a twist from NRaas Industries Wiki, because the CFG is a rar and I don't want to download much more than I need to). Fingers crossed this works!

E: Yay, it works! Now to finish up, download the Cheats module and Overwatch, then enjoy! (And be glad my Dynasty is not invalid, since I play it in a Factory Resetted file, so that I can do whatever in one game, and play a vanilla Dynasty!)

Offline Piggypox

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files

Most mods are in package files. I believe this is the easiest way to set up your mods folder. It has a step by step with pictures.

And the best part.

All you need to do is download the framework, extract and you're done! =)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Fluffy Puff

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:27:04 PM »
What about updating your mods when the newest game patch comes out? Do you need to delete the mods before patching your game and then install the newest mod version?

Offline twallan

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:40:05 PM »
What about updating your mods when the newest game patch comes out? Do you need to delete the mods before patching your game and then install the newest mod version?

You can if you want, however it is unnecessary.  The EA Patch system does not care whether you have mods installed or not.

Most people suggest removing your mods beforehand because if you forget to remove them, and try to play the updated game, it will go bonkers.

Personally, I leave my mods installed, and then update them with new copies after I have patched.

But frankly if you remove them before patching, or leave them in and replace them after patching, is mostly a personal preference.

:)
NRaas Industries.  Saving Sims games from becoming doorstops since 2009.

Forum Rules

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »
I'm glad I'm getting feedback from this topic. Perhaps this could be sticky so beginners can easily find this topic?  :)

I've actually been really excited about this rule bending quite a bit, ever since I became a junior member that wasn't well aware of the rules. So, naturally, I'd be jumping on this.

Seabody, how do you like Master Controller? Story Progression is another great mod, and very easy to turn off.  :) Twallan has more interesting story progression than EA's.

Offline Piggypox

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 12:02:06 AM »
I cannot play without MasterController, simply because I like to cheat and see how toddler sims look like when they're older hehe. If I don't like it, I delete them from existence. =P

Story Progression is awesome. I like the notifications you get and you actually know what the town is up to. It slows the game down quite a bit though so you may have to compromise on graphics settings. Unless you have a really good computer.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »
Seabody, how do you like Master Controller? Story Progression is another great mod, and very easy to turn off.  :) Twallan has more interesting story progression than EA's.

I like it a lot! I'm only dipping my feet in thus far, but I've read up on all of twallan's Mods on the wiki (and finally, I put my Wikispaces account to good use and asked a question there).

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 12:11:36 AM »
It's always smart to ask questions. Even though mods can be very helpful tools, they're also not something to be taken casually, especially when you can easily run into an outdated one, or conflicting mods.

I really missed Master Controller, and as I mentioned using it before and getting in trouble through PM by a moderator, June of that year, when I got promoted to hero status, I stopped using them for nearly 10 months, and am happy to be using them again, this time, without any shame.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 12:20:49 AM »
June of that year, when I got promoted to hero status...

We get promotions here??  Are there pay raises involved?  :o

Oh wait...a 10% increase on nothing is still nothing, isn't it?  Oh well.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:57 AM »
Well, you get more stars, and points, when you move up a rank. ;D