Author Topic: Recommended Modders and modsites  (Read 22275 times)

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
Recommended Modders and modsites
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »
I thought it would be a good idea if we could have one thread where people can look for different modders that are trustworthy and keep their mods updated. Obviously, the NRaas mods are very popular (for good reason, of course), but there are many other trustworthy modders out there.

If you are concerned about conflicts, see this thread:  Tips for keeping your mods organized and avoiding conflicts

And now, in no particular order, I give you a list of modders that I recommend.

Buzzler
Buzzler writes primarily scripting mods, which have no known conflicts as of yet. His mods are hosted at ModTheSims and he makes sure they remain compatible with every new patch. Some of Buzzler's mods are:
  • Builder Stuff - A compilation of mods that mostly affect building. These mods include Autoroof Disabler, Build/Buy Restriction Choker, Auto Railing Disabler, and more.
  • Scribbling Pad - Scripted object which allows sims to purchase and use the "homework" notepad to write books. Great for your technophobes that would like to be a writer.
  • Moar Interactions - Adds new interactions, or in some cases fixes existing interactions.
  • Same Energy Gain for Every Bed - This is a scripting mod which allows you to set the energy gain multiplier for all beds in your current game
  • Mood Hotfix - Fixes mood bugs.
  • Excavation Site Hotfix - Fixes issues with excavation

See Buzzler's profile at ModTheSims for more of his mods.

Shimrod
Shimrod makes XML/Tuning mods for the Sims 3 and for the Sims Medieval. His mods arehosted at Gnaughty Li'l Gnomes. Shimrod has many different XML/Tuning mods which he keeps updated for the most recent patch level. Here are some of his most popular mods:
  • XML Story Progression - EA's Story Progression, but with tweaks to remove Vampires, Celebrities, and Emigration. If you just want to use EA StoryProgression, but without all the Vampires and Celebrities, check this one out. It's also a good alternative to those who have trouble running the more intensive Story Progression mods.
  • 'Ask If Single' is Friendly, also 'Ask Sign' - Not yet updated for 1.31 (he has a lot of mods to update!), this mod moves te Ask if Single and Ask Sign interactions to the Friendly menu, so your sims.
  • Memories Disabled - Disables all memories. If you don't want to use NRaas MasterController, you can use this mod to disable memories

Visit Shimrod's site for more of his mods.

Twoftmama and bluegenjutsu at Simsasylum.com
These two tireless XML modders are very dedicated to their mods and keep them updated at all times. They also take requests. You must register at the SimsAsylum to download their mods. Some of their mods include:
  • No Route Fail and No Foot Tapping Animations Mods (bluegenjutsu)
  • Buyable WA, LN and Barnacle Bay Mailboxes (bluegenjutsu)
  • No Auto Placement of Community Lots in EA Worlds (requires Ambitions and/or Pets EPs) (bluegenjutsu)
  • Shut The Flock Up - Silences annoying sounds (Twoftmama)
  • Daywalkers - Your vampires can stay in the sun longer. (Twoftmama)
  • Bake Sale Table - Helps your sims actually sell stuff with their bake sales (Twoftmama)

There are tons more mods over at the forums, which is family friendly. In fact, Twoftmama's own son uses and posts at the SimsAsylum.

Velocitygrass
Velocitygrass has a variety of mods at MTS which can help make your game more enjoyable.

Others recommend

ladypeita's recommendations
wednesday21's recommendations

There are many more talented and dedicated creators out there, so if you have a recommendation, do share!

Offline ladypieta

• Nooboo
Re: Recommended Modders and modsites
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
I agree!  I love Buzzler's Mods and use most all of the one's you mention.  I'm primarily a builder and his mods are great!  I also use MOAR and really like it.  You can work overtime!!  Great Mods.  I also use Twoftmama's mods.  They really add to the game and she does real quality work.

Edit:  I forgot to add Jonha's Any Game Starter 3.  This utility/mod is a life saver!  You can have multiple game environments with different mods in each one or no mods at all.  I use this tool to create Challenge Games that need to be Mod free.  Or if I need to build without EP/SPs or just a particular one (or two).  Its Awesome!! Click here for detailed info:  http://www.modthesims.info/d/406814

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
All these modders are great and so are their mods. I've used some of the mods you mentioned and they helped me immensely in one way or another. As a little addition to your list, here are a few other popular modders:

-Shad0w at Custom Sims 3
-Rainbow Brites and others at iPlaySims
-Anach at More Awesome Than You (note that these are Anach's personal mods and they may not be updated until Anach updates their game in the first place)
-Also Spring4Sims regularly keeps their site updated with links to all the latest good mods.

Please always remember that with mods, patience is a virtue. The modders are normal people like you and me with their own real-life problems and do their best to keep us all happy by updating their mods as soon as a new patch is out.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »
Great recommendations :) I also use some of Anach's mods, although they have not been updated in a while. I do check mods myself to see if they are compatible with the recent patch, but that's me.

And yep, great advice about reminding people to have patience with modders. I would also suggest not to bug them by asking "when will xxyy mod be updated?!" ;)

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »
I'll check some of these out. However, people need to know which mods are  incompatible with other mods. Right now I'm using Nraas, and am afraid other mods will interfere with it.

You get my drift (i.e. meaning)?

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »
I'll check some of these out. However, people need to know which mods are  incompatible with other mods. Right now I'm using Nraas, and am afraid other mods will interfere with it.

Yes, I think I understand what you mean. I made another post specifically addressing the issue of conflicts:  Tips for keeping your mods organized and avoiding conflicts. I have now added a link to that thread at the top of this thread. You shoudl take a look at the thread because it has some very valuable information in it.

Like I mention in my other thread, scripting mods in general have very low chance to conflict with any other mod, including scripting mods. The vast majority of NRaas mods are scripting mods, with the exception of: ErrorTrap (core mode), Untranslated Key (Core mod), and SleepFreedom (combination override and scripting mod). The rest of the mods have a much lower chance to conflict with anything.

Offline ladypieta

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »

Any Game Starter works with all mods.  It is technically a program not a MOD, but since it MODS the way the game is used, it is considered a mod.  Just FYI  ;)

As NonaMena said, for conflicts use Delphy's tool - it's great for that.

~Pieta

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 12:20:31 AM »
If your computer can't handle more in-depth Story Progression mods, such as NRaas StoryProgression, then you might want to take a look at this one.

Actually, while some story progression mods are high resource, the NRaas Story Progression mod is designed to have a very low impact on resources.  Some story progression mods actually force the simulated events to "physically" happen in game.  NRaas Story Progression simulates all interactions that you wouldn't be able to see normally like EA story progression does, and doesn't have much more of an impact than the original does.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:42:29 AM »
Actually, while some story progression mods are high resource, the NRaas Story Progression mod is designed to have a very low impact on resources.  Some story progression mods actually force the simulated events to "physically" happen in game.  NRaas Story Progression simulates all interactions that you wouldn't be able to see normally like EA story progression does, and doesn't have much more of an impact than the original does.

I don't think there is any way to actually know how someone's computer will run NRaas StoryProgression, as many people have had trouble with lag, and many others haven't. Nraas StoryProgression does have less of an impact than, say, AwesomeStory. Compared to EA StoryProgression, however, Nraas StoryProgression has more of an impact, especially when run with all Personalities and modules. I have a very strong computer, so I don't have any problems with it. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone who just barely meets the minimum requirements to run the game.

It was good of you to point that out though. I forgot to mention it myself and I will reword the post when I have a little more time. I just woke up and checked my e-mail :)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 04:13:04 AM »
My computer barely meets the requirements for Pets (I get very slight distortion on horses if they're not the active sim), and I experience no more lag with the basic Story Progression package than I do without it.  I get a periodic freeze for about 5-10 seconds every now and again, but that's happened for a while and happens even if I play with a vanilla game.  Believe me:  the impact is negligible.  That could possibly change if I used more, though, I suppose.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 05:08:02 AM »
My computer barely meets the requirements for Pets (I get very slight distortion on horses if they're not the active sim), and I experience no more lag with the basic Story Progression package than I do without it.  I get a periodic freeze for about 5-10 seconds every now and again, but that's happened for a while and happens even if I play with a vanilla game.  Believe me:  the impact is negligible.  That could possibly change if I used more, though, I suppose.

Twallan specifically states that StoryProgression can cause game lag. NRaas StoryProgression pushes all the sims in the neighborhood to do more stuff. It isn't as specific as AwesomeStory, so there are no mini-dramas going on in your game. Nevertheless it is more intensive than simply letting EA Story Progression run, because EA Story Progression is random and doesn't really push your sims to do anything at all. A computer which barely meets the minimum requirements to run Pets is still stronger than a computer that barely meets the minimum requirements to run the base game. I wish that every one could have the same experience as you, but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Offline Justwright

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 06:31:56 AM »
I love Twallan's StoryProgression but unfortunately, it causes major lag and freezes in my game.  It is very strange, I can run UC just fine with settings on medium/high without mods but with StoryProgression the game becomes unplayable even with settings turned to low.  Game freezes for 5+ seconds every 5-10 game minutes.  I haven't tried the mod in other worlds yet.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 07:18:59 AM »
I love Twallan's StoryProgression but unfortunately, it causes major lag and freezes in my game.  It is very strange, I can run UC just fine with settings on medium/high without mods but with StoryProgression the game becomes unplayable even with settings turned to low.  Game freezes for 5+ seconds every 5-10 game minutes.  I haven't tried the mod in other worlds yet.

Yep, how much of a performance hit is incurred by using NRaas StoryProgression can be greatly exacerbated by the world. Worlds with high population will require more more calculations, as the mod needs to push more sims, and those sims will also be required to route more. Worlds with routing problems will suffer even more, because sims will have trouble going to where StoryProgression sends them.

There is another line in the StoryProgression FAQ which also specifically states:
Since it is more of a simulation than Awesome, it incurs less of a performance hit. However it vastly slower than EA's statistical model progression system.

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 07:23:08 AM »
I don't know about others' games, but in my game, which is being run on a (very) low-end laptop, I don't get a performance hit in neither town with StoryProgression. However, the lag increases when using MasterController or Woohooer. You'd expect it to be the other way round, since those two are both manual mods and its up to the user whether to use their functions or not.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
Yeah, that's why I said I don't think there's any way to know how any one computer will react to StoryProgression. There's a lot of variables that are involved, even down to whether one keeps the dust bunnies out of one's computer. To say that Nraas StoryProgression should not or will not cause lag in someone's game is too much of an assumption for me, especially because it really does make sims go out and do stuff when EA Story Progression does not.

anything