Author Topic: Sims 3 - How to Install Lots (and other CC) without using the Launcher  (Read 158207 times)

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
I really dislike EA's Launcher, and I only use it to install Store Content. Using this method to add custom lots to your game not only avoids the Launcher but also helps you keep your Edit Town Library organized. This isn't really a topic about game mods but since it requires an extra program to extract the package file from the sims3pack, I think it fits here.

You will need:

Note: This method does not require you to have set up the Mods framework. Also, I’ve only ever used Delphy’s Multi-Extracter.
*You do not need to install Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 if you have Windows 7.

Part 1: Extract the package

• If you haven’t done so already, unzip Delphy’s Extracter to some place where you can find it.
  • Run the .exe (double click on it)
  • In the first field, browse to the folder where you have your sims3pack
  • In the second field, browse to the folder where you want to extract the .package file to
  • Tick the box at the bottom: “Rename files on Save.” If the lot has no CC attached to it, the package file will have the same name as the Sims3Pack.
  • You now have a package file!

Part 2: Add it to your game
Put the .package you just extracted in the following folder Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Library\

Yep, it’s that easy! The lot will now show up in your Library in Edit Town. If you download a sim or a sim household in sims3pack format, you can use the same method above and put the .package in the same folder, and the sim(s) will show up in your Library in Edit Town.

If you save a copy of your Library folder, you will never have to re-install your custom lots via the launcher again. Just put your library folder somewhere safe.

As an aside, you can also use this method to install custom content in sims3pack format, such as clothes, objects, makeup, etc. into your game via the Mods folder instead of the launcher. This gives the added benefit of being able to easily find a piece of CC that you want to remove. Remember: Put CC that is not a lot into your Mods folder, not the Library!

Other Useful Tips and Tools
  • Run the sims3pack through Delphy’s CUSTARD Tool before doing this, to see if there’s any CC hitchhiking on the lot. (Tutorial by Crinrict)
  • Use S3PE or another package editor to peek inside the packages if you extract a sims3pack with many packages inside (this means that there is CC attached to the lot. A lot with no CC attached will have only one package). Look for the the ICON and THUM resources to see what each package holds.
  • If you install a lot of CC through the launcher, take a look at CC Magic.

Related Tutorials
How to Uninstall Content using the Launcher

** Thread has been locked, as it's for informational purposes.

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
Re: How to Install Lots without using the Launcher
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:27:50 AM »
That's excellent, NonaMena. 

At another website I hang out on we have been using library files for ages now. They work very well.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
Re: How to Install Lots without using the Launcher
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »
Yep, the now SimsAyslum :) Using packages to put the lots in the library directly is much easier and quicker to install, also.

Offline aiesha1230

• Nooboo
Re: How to Install Lots (and other CC) without using the Launcher
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »
If my lot has multiple cc in it after using the extractor, do I put the first package in the library (assuming its the lot) and the rest in the mods folder?

Offline Anonomousguy

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
So... Um where do I extract it TO?

Offline Anonomousguy

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:40:58 PM »
Delphy's is not Deleteable! I am currently worried for my computer.
 :'(

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 05:51:54 PM »
It should be delete-able depending on where you downloaded and installed it. Basically go to where you downloaded it to and installed it and delete it from both places.

I am not familiar with the program. So it might be best if you have questions regarding it to ask in the comments of the page linked below.

Delphy's Sims 3 Pack Multi-Extracter
http://www.modthesims.info/d/364038

Under the photo there's a small menu that has a Description, File and Install Instructions, etc Button. Go to the end of it to find the Comments button.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.